PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Open

RayRob
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Hi guys,

The draw is done Eleni has drawn yet another seed :mad: This time it's Patty Schnyder. how many slams in a row is this now?!

Her Quarter is as follows:

(7) P.Schnyder vs. E.Daniilidou
S.Peer vs. S.Asagoe
(WC) A.Cornet vs. A.Nakamura
M.Ani vs. (31) G.Dulko
(19) D.Safina vs. T.Garbin
M.Vento-Kabchi vs. S.Arvidsson
J.Jackson vs. (Q)
Y.Fedak vs. (12) A.Myskina

(16) N.Vaidisova vs. (Q)
A.Chakvetadze vs. J.Zheng
M.Sucha vs. A.Smashnova
(Q) vs. Pennetta
S.Mirza vs. (Q)
M.Krajicek vs. K.Brandi
E.Loit vs. V.Kutuzova
T.T.Sun vs. (2) A.Mauresmo

I am hoping that Eleni can really get inspired and bring her best. Patty is a great player, but sometimes quite vulnerable & volitile. Hopefully Eleni can capitalize on this. I hope to be seeing a good result. It might also be on TV....let's see.

What are your thoughts on the draw. I know we don't want to read too much into it but if she can get past Patty, then her chance of reaching the third or fourth round are feesable. The one advantage of meeting a seeded player in the first round means that you have a good run up until 3rd or 4th round if you beat them.

-Rache

daniilidou
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:19 AM
4 out of the last five GS to be exact- it's getting very frustrating cuz she ain't winning. That serve is what kills her- Df's, slow 2nd serves crushed for easy winners- these are easy points for other opponents. I am praying she will do well here, especially with the Greek fans supporting her.:rolleyes:

forever_rafter
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Well, it could have been worse...My compatriot Marta Domachowska faces Justine Henin....I hope Eleni can beat Patty and I do hope we'll be able to see it on TV. Come on baby!

RayRob
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I think I had heard that the bottom half of the draw are playing on Tuesday due to the fact that Kim Clijsters requested this because of her injury. Since the bottom half of the draw is so week in comparison to the top, it is more likely that Patty vs Eleni will be shown on TV.

Eleni has beaten higher ranked players before, so it's not unusual but it is annoying that she doesn't receive a good break. Having said that, Eleni often plays better against the best. Not sure why, but she does. The end of last year, Eleni was losing to players that she normally wouldn't.

I'm still having faith and expecting she's still to have a resurgence soon!

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Undortunatley we still don't know how serious Eleni's right shoulder injury is. Let's hope it's nothing bad and she'll be at least 80% fit

RayRob
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Undortunatley we still don't know how serious Eleni's right shoulder injury is. Let's hope it's nothing bad and she'll be at least 80% fit

That's, that is true. The fact that it's her shoulder is severly worrying. I haven't heard whether it is her serving arm shoulder or the other. If it's her left one, it might not me so bad givene the fact that she has a single handed backhand, so she would only need her left arm for balance through shot. I have a feeling that it may be her "playing" arm due to her withdrawal from that match in Canberra.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM
On wtatour.com they wrote Eleni and Anabel withdrew from doubles 1/4 final due to Lena's RIGHT shoulder injury so I'm afraid it's not her left side

RayRob
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
:scared:

Calliope.
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Poor Eleni :sad:

guizzy
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM
According to a Greek newspaper Lena will be on intensive physical therapy for 3 or 4 days and then she will be ready for the AO. I hope this won't influence her confidence cause I am sure she can win Patty.

LostGlory
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Go Eleni....Kick patty's butt....I have a good feeling about this AO....

RayRob
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Go Eleni....Kick patty's butt....I have a good feeling about this AO....

Yes, me too. Like I said, if she passes Patty (which if fully fit, she can) then the next few opponants I hope wouldn't be too much trouble. She just needs that first big win because she seems to go on a roll once a big win is under her belt.

-Rache

Bероника
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Things don't look too good for Leni :sad: but still I wish her best of luck :kiss: Pame!!!!

daniilidou
Jan 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM
i didn't realize that Eleni has a right shoulder injury. Oh boy, i have the feeling that we will be seeing a lot of Df's in her match with patty. Let's hope she catches a break and wins (we all know she is capable of beating anyone, but talk is cheap- she's got the skills, and experience, but rarely is able to put the 2 together)

RayRob
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well, looks like the bottom half of the draw play tomorrow. I look forward to seeing the schedule once todays matches are almost complete. Hopefully she's got a good match slot and perhaps Eurosport will show it. As long as her match doesn't coinside with other "bigger" matches, it should be on TV. if not, then I'll just have to watch the scoreboards ;)

Pame!
-Rache

RayRob
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
eleni vs Patty is first on Court 18! I was hoping for a more "higher profile" court so to watch it on TV but they seemed to have filled the main courts with mens matches due to the lack of strength from the womens bottom half.

I will probably hang around online to watch the score board or something. Hopefully she'll so well - just hope that arm holds up!

Pame Eleni! :woohoo:

-Rache

christos
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Lena Good Luck :) :yeah:

forever_rafter
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Come on baby-girl! You can do it, beat Patty!

RayRob
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Patty df. Eleni 6-4, 6-3

I watched the scoreboard (when it worked) and it was a bit of an error strewn match to say the least (well at least at the start).

At 2-all in the second, Eleni had about 4 or 5 BP's which she couldn't convert. Then at 5-3 she had about another 3 that she didn't convert. Early in the first set, also about 3 BP's not converted. When she served, and won her service, it was generally quite easily done. When her serve was challenged, however ie. taken to Deuce, she couldn't quite close the game out.

It's a shame, chances lost. I am desperately wanting her to achieve form again....I can feel it's going to come, but the question is, when.

Will she play doubles this week now? Also, do you think she'll play mixed too?

I guess we'll just have to see.

Never mind, Eleni.....you're gonna bounce right back :bounce:

-Rache

RayRob
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Just seen the stats. I was sort of close with the amount of BP's missed - it's not good. things seem to be looking up with the serve - take a look:

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/4260/Daniilidou_vs_pattyR1.jpg

Also, Eleni is commited in doubles with Anabel again - should be fun. They are the #15 seeds and play Michaella Krajikec and Agnes Szavey. in the first round, whenever that is. If they reach the third round, they could meet Black/Stubbs!

-Rache

Bероника
Jan 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM
oh damn :sad: Good luck in doubles now!!! :D

daniilidou
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
eleni!!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: that damn serve of hers-only 3 df's but time after time it lets her down, ie after breaking patty in the first set @ 5-3, it was 5-4 on serve and eleni does what she does best- goes down love-40 on her serve and dumps the game. 2nd set-numerous break point opportunities and can't convert- why not? plays very conservatively, hits her dumb-ass backhand slice(which really in only effective on grass). Given Eleni's stature and build, her groundstrokes should have more zip on them- hence eleni never really accumulates many winners during her games... i hate to say this, but she may be in the qualifying draw come French Open time,, currently ranked 99th. Oh boy, this is going to be a long season.

RayRob
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:35 PM
waow! OK, breath..... ;)

OK, there's no reason for Eleni not to have taken those chances, I agree but you need to relax a bit. I know it's frustrating at times to see her like this but the fact of the matter is, nobody right now probably feels as down as Eleni must be right now. I'm sure she's disappointed by her performance.

We have to remember that she has been dogged by injury, so it doesn't do much good for her "mental" state in tough close matches. We know and are aware that Eleni has had a shoulder problem in the last couple of weeks...that must play on her mind a little.

I agree that the sliced backhand isn't good to use on any surface other than grass. Her top spin backhand can be very effective, why she doesn't use it as much, I don't know. Then again, I didn't see the match, so I really don't know how much or how little she used it. I can only go by the stats and the stats say she's made improvement on the serve compared to the end of last year.

Again, we're left with the pure fact that she missed chances....so I would conclude that isn't much to do with talents and abilities (I know she has that) but her mental stature needs to be addressed when she has to face these circumstances.

What is the answer? A new coach perhaps? I know Eleni gets on well with Judith, and maybe she wouldn't have to lose her as a coach but if Eleni is serious in changing these circumstances in matches, perhaps she needs to also add to her team a sports psychologist. That would just be an idea or a suggestion. :shrug:

I don't know, do you guys have any suggestions, ideas or theories we could discuss/chat about?

-Rache

RayRob
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Well, the girls aren't doing too well in their doubles match. They lost the first set having been in a commanding lead. 3-1 at one point! Anabels service games were the ones to let the team down until the second set when they took an early break. eleni served to take the set but it wasn't until Anabels service that they finally close it out after a few set points.

The score currently stands at 5-7, 6-4. Eleni and Anabel should be off the court by now, but they are into a third....at this point, i really think it's time for me to go bed ;)

Pame Eleni!

-Rache

forever_rafter
Jan 18th, 2006, 07:00 AM
:Sad: Krajicek/Szavay (HUN/HUN) d. (15) Daniilidou/Medina Garrigues (GRE/ESP) 7-5,4-6,6-4 :sad:

spar
Jan 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Unfortunately, Eleni lost the Australian Open, in mixed doubles she not take part.

RayRob
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
:shrug: Oh well.....what's left to say. This has been a grand slam of missed chances...

What's next for Eleni? Thailand or India perhaps?

-Rache