Jan 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Could be a lot worse
Any version of Vera can show up. She has not shown that she is mentally strong
I do not think this is a bad draw for Marti
I in fact believe that Marti is likely to win it

I agree :) I think she'll win.

SS6888
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:46 AM
yea hingis should have no problem with zvonareva, i hope she proves the doubters wrong and goes at least third/fourth round, maybe further!

*Jool*
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:47 AM
She'll win
Hopefully
and draw Mary in rd 3 :devil: I'd love that

Martian Jeza
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
yea hingis should have no problem with zvonareva, i hope she proves the doubters wrong and goes at least third/fourth round, maybe further!

with a 3rd of 4th round, I will be very pleased but further It would be marvelous !

crazyroberto6767
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Not a horrible draw. But I wouldn't underestimate Vera, she is inconsistent, but if she shows up like she can I would be very afraid for the semi-rusty Hingis. *If* Martina gets past Vera, then she will probably (and hopefully :p go Nuria) get Llagostera-Vives. She beat her last week and as much as I love Nuria I would see it happening again. Mary in round 3 isn't looking too good to say the least, but a 3r at her first grand slam back would be AWESOME! But that's looking ahead, Martina will have to play very well to beat Vera Z.

Erika_Angel
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM
yea hingis should have no problem with zvonareva,

You can't be serious? Vera is no pushover and has been playing great this yr.

venus_rulez
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
If vera gets into trouble in that match, she can just cause a delay by flooding the court.

The Kaz
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM
If vera gets into trouble in that match, she can just cause a delay by flooding the court.

:haha:

harloo
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Please Vera don't cry again. You should be able to beat Martina if you keep your head on straight.:tape:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Well Martina's variety should get to Vera.
All Martina has to do is get in Vera's head and she will likely win.

cartmancop
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM
It could be much worse. If she had to get a seed, I'm sure this would be a good choice for her. Vera Z. is so unpredictable...she could either show up playing great or feel the pressure of playing the great champion & fall apart. I think the second is more likely...there will be so much media attention on this match. Martina in 3:)

Shoulderpova
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
:sad:

thelittlestelf
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
That's a winnable match for Martina, but I wouldn't write Vera off just yet. She can be very dangerous and perhaps a new year has given her a new outlook on the game.

Nonetheless, go Martina! :woohoo:

Principessa
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Not a bad draw for Martina. Hopefully she can win this match, allez!

hablo
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:28 AM
This match will be challenging for Martina!!
Allez Martina !! :bounce:

alwayshingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:29 AM
When Vera plays matches with a lot of attention, she tends to crumble. even if she is playing well, she'll win the first, and then go away for the next two. Martina can do this.

Ferosh
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I'm going with Vera on this one.

Berlin_Calling
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM
:sad: @ this matchup

matthieu_tennis
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM
the good news is a free day between each match :)

switz
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:48 AM
it's tough mainly because you don't now which Zvonareva will turn up. She cruised to the final in Auckland only to be routed by Bartoli and beaten pretty handily by Dushevina (who was then routed by Henin).

I hope this is the night session match on day 1 because i'm going and i've got good seats :bounce:

No Name Face
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:50 AM
oh man...two of my faves...

i gotta pull for vera though, no more tears for you :sad:

(maybe they'll show it on espn :drool: )

gibberish
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Even if Martina gets past 1st round, which I hope she does, Mary awaits in the 3rd round and that's pretty much it

bellascarlett
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM
It could have been worse for Martina. I think this is good for her as a win won't really be that much of a surprise. Anyway, I'd love for Martina to win this but it will be disappointing for whoever loses.

On the other hand, (offtopic) how does dokic match up with razzano?

Dawn Marie
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Martina can beat Vera but Vera can also beat Martina. lol

I want Martina to win this in straights sets.

alwayshingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I hope this is the night session match on day 1 because i'm going and i've got good seats :bounce:

Agreed. I don't have seats (obviously) but that would be the best time for the match.

Unless that is not in ESPN2's window, in which case I don't want that to happen at all!

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM
It could have been worse for Martina. I think this is good for her as a win won't really be that much of a surprise. Anyway, I'd love for Martina to win this but it will be disappointing for whoever loses.

On the other hand, (offtopic) how does dokic match up with razzano?

Dokic does have the game to beat Razzano.
Razzano is basically another version of Natalie Dechy with a bit more variety and a little bit slower in movement.
Dokic needs to keep the points long but pressure Razzano by moving her around. She definately needs to hold serves and keep the errors to a minimum.

Knizzle
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Agreed. I don't have seats (obviously) but that would be the best time for the match.

Unless that is not in ESPN2's window, in which case I don't want that to happen at all!
That match will honestly probably be the second match on Rod Laver Arena in the daytime.

hingis-seles
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:34 AM
You guys think (30) vs (NR) will be on a showcourt? I was thinking more along the lines of a televised court, but way off in the boondocks with the Pierce's, Clijsters' and Mauresmo's being the girls on the big courts.

croat123
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:38 AM
hingis will get rod laver first round. her second round might be on a smaller tv court but the first one will def. be on rod laver

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:40 AM
You guys think (30) vs (NR) will be on a showcourt? I was thinking more along the lines of a televised court, but way off in the boondocks with the Pierce's, Clijsters' and Mauresmo's being the girls on the big courts.

Vera usually plays an interesting Clijsters-esque game. The mental breakdown itself is usually entertaining.
Martina is a 5 slam-champion with a very versatile and entertaining game. 3 of which came on Rod Laver.
This should be a good matchup.

Ryan
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Vera usually plays an interesting Clijsters-esque game. The mental breakdown itself is usually entertaining.
Martina is a 5 slam-champion with a very versatile and entertaining game. 3 of which came on Rod Laver.
This should be a good matchup.

I think Martina is ready for this type of match. Vera hits with decent pace, moves well, and has good doubles results. I minimini version of Hingis herself, minus most of the variety. I think Hingis is fit enough, and mentally prepared to beat Vera. Not to mention I expect Vera to concede Hingis at least 4 games on reputation alone.

I would love if this ends up on Rod Laver or Margaret Court Arena, and I really hope it is televised by ESPN!

Knizzle
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM

When that NR is Hingis a 3 time champ and 6 time finalist not to mention just a big name in women's tennis period. Also it's her first slam back and there is much hype. Yeah I think she'll be on Laver for sure especially since the bottom half is not all that exciting.

jfk
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Hingis is probably pleased with her draw. If she had to get a seed, it's not a bad one to get. Vera is unpredictable.

I hope Hingis wins, because there are very few stars in the bottom half. Clijsters, Ivanovic, Mauresmo, and Pierce....that's about it, and I only want to see Ivanovic and Pierce. Hingis' matches will be featured a lot...

TonyP
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I tend to agree about which court this match up will be on. HIngis continues to be one of the top stories of tennis right now, and she is going to get a huge reception when she walks out on court for the first time at this year's AO. Paul McNamee is not going to waste that on some dinky side court. It will probably be on Laver if there's any way to schedule it. And since her opponent is not exactly a nobody, it should get plenty of TV coverge.

franny
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM
It's still a tough draw. Zvonereva is a very tough cookie, and you just never know with her. I was hoping for some lesser opponent, but oh well. Mary in the third round will demolish Martina. I did not want her to draw such a powerful player so early on. Oh well, I just hope she reaches the third round. On a brighter note, the fact that the Williams, Sharapova, and Davenport were all in the top half means that we'll get to see Martina probably when she plays! It'd be so great!

Drake1980
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I hope Hingis can do it, it will be tough though

dinhd82
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:57 AM
I think Hingis can beat Zvonereva but who knows. Assuming she gets to the 3rd round, I think Mary is not that bad of a match up for Hingis, sure Mary is very hot these days but Martina knows how to play Mary. Well we will see.

fammmmedspin
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Odds on getting a seed are 50%. Of the 32 Vera is one of the more interesting - she has produced good stuff so far in 2006 without excelling. Martina could have picked far worse

Ceecor
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
good match, like a lot 1st rounds this year. BUT....
(C&P)
Hingis will be favourite for the match.
Hingis is around 20-1 for the title, while you can secure 200's for Zvon'

SzavayFi
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:06 AM
This is actually a good 1st round draw from Hingis. Zvonereva is very unpredictable right now but more than likely she will be off. I see hingis winning 7-6 6-0 ;)

alfonsojose
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:28 AM
It's not that bad for Hingis. If she can win, it could be a third round match-up against Pierce :yeah:

Pheobo
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:29 AM
That'll be a good match. There's no way she's beating Mary though ^^

Buitenzorg
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Hingis 6-4 2-6 6-4

Solitaire
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Could go either way too close to call me thinks.

Jeff
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:47 AM
I think this is actually a good draw for Martina. Surely nobody who is unseeded will have a "great" draw, but for Martina's situation she has a good draw because 1) She is playing a seeded player first round, rather than second round. 2) She is playing a #30 out of 32 seeds. 3) She is playing Zvonareva, who is surely a great player, but against Martina's style the most likely top player to get frustrated the easiest. 4) Although 128 in the draw, if Martina wins her first match, she'll already likely play a player she has already beaten this year in Llogostera-Vives. Finally, she has a much better chance of beating Mary Pierce at the moment than someone like Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo or Venus/Serena.

Andrew..
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I bet Martina wins this one, but in three really tight sets. Neither is the poster child for mental toughness right now.

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:28 AM
I like Vera's chances in this one. They have never met previously and i think Hingis won't have easy answers for Vera's style of play.

spencercarlos
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I like Vera's chances in this one. They have never met previously and i think Hingis won't have easy answers for Vera's style of play.
:lol: Yeah and i also like Vera´s mental consistency, she cries in almost every match, that´s what i call consistency.
She may beat Hingis, who knows, but she´ll have the pressure, Martina has nothing to lose. And considering Vera´s mental consistency she can easily fall apart.

BTW Vera does not have tremendous power or serve, i think that in the long run will make things up easier for Martina to play.

Barlos
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I think it's a good draw for Martina, she gets to entertain herself by seeing how long it takes her to make vera cry (her mental breakdowns are usually far more entertaining than the match itself), a virtual bye in round 2 and then, with two matches beind her, she plays Mary Pierce, one of the more beatable top 10 players. A good chance to get a huge win.

I just hope that Vera doesn't play her best as on top form she could certainly beat Martina.

Hingie
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM
:lol: Yeah and i also like Vera´s mental consistency, she cries in almost every match, that´s what i call consistency.
She may beat Hingis, who knows, but she´ll have the pressure, Martina has nothing to lose. And considering Vera´s mental consistency she can easily fall apart.

BTW Vera does not have tremendous power or serve, i think that in the long run will make things up easier for Martina to play.

I actually disagree and while Martina has said she has set no goals i think she has a lot of pressure on her. She's featured in the final of this event 6 times - if she were to go out 1st round she'd be incredibly disappointed.

spencercarlos
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I actually disagree and while Martina has said she has set no goals i think she has a lot of pressure on her. She's featured in the final of this event 6 times - if she were to go out 1st round she'd be incredibly disappointed.
Martina is not the seeded player, sure she has won this event that many times and reached those finals, but she has not played competitive tennis for 3 years and cameback just 2 weeks ago, she is not expecting to get far at this event, neither she was in gold coast which was a Tier III event. Vera has a lot more to lose than Martina. Thinking of losing to a non trained-not match tough Martina could hit hard on Vera.

go hingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I think Martina has a chance in the first round but like everyone else depends which Vera shows up. Like everyone else I think second round should be easy, BUT I don't think we should be too confident as she's already played Martina, taken a set and might not be as intimidated as someone who has not played her (being at a Grandslam will be an advantage to Martina and if it's on centre court Martina should have it in the bag)
Third round if Martina and Mary get there will be intresting but this is the one funnily I'm most confident about (starting to re-think and worry about that confidence, lol)

Go Martina!

pav
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:37 AM

BTW Vera does not have tremendous power or serve, i think that in the long run will make things up easier for Martina to play. Vera hits Her groundstrokes a lot harder than many think,falling apart is always a possibility I remember the commentators saying She Blew Pierce off the court at the FO (and then it came onTV at 5 1 1st set and She proceeded to fall apart from then on. mentally Hingis might get to Her but don't forget the famous Martina has a very hittable patsy 2nd serve as well which Bepa can well tee off on. Right to the end in Auckland Bepa seemed to keep Her cool even when playing Bartoli who despite some great long rallies was having a day when every shot was going in,After one of the longest which Bepa seemed to have the better of but Marion ended up winning with a great shot ,Bepa just laughed. Bartoli is not to be underestimated either,She is a lot stronger than I remember,Has a butt of almost Serenalike proportions.

Timofy
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:42 AM
both players running all the balls back, must be a very lengthy one

volta
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Bepa better have her mind together or Hingis is gonna turn her head into water :o

Bring it Bepa :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bmwofoz
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Hingis should beat Zvonareva, I expect it will be on Rod Laver, and Hingis will be the one under pressure, for while Zvonareva is the Seed, all the attention will be on Martina.

If Zvonareva wins the First set, then she may just run away with it, for Hingis while a great player, has in the past shown a mental weakness which the Williams sisters, Davenport, Capriati etc all exploited.

willrock
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
This match will be exciting! :D

Maria Croft
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Either way, no matter what, this is going to be a tough match for both of them

hdfb
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hingis wins this if she played the way she did at her first few matches at Gold Coast.

daffodil
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I think that too many people underestimate Martina. This is a very winnable R128. Zvonareva is an emotional wreck when she plays someone who can threaten her. I give Martina here a three set win.

Dexter
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I hope Martina wins and meets with Mary in 3rd round :hehehe: :angel:

SelesFan70
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
This match will be on ESPN...at least for a minute.

Hingis wins, 7-6, 7-5

Sorry, Vera :( Crappy luck for both ladies

TonyP
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I suspect the match will get a hell of a lot more TV airtime than just a minute. Hingis remains one of the primary "story lines" of tennis right now. I expect the match to be held in Rod Laver Arena and probably set up as the feature match of the day on the women's side.

I don't see any other real marque level matches in the first round, other than Patty against Daniilidou and neither of then is one tenth as well known in America as Hingis.

alfajeffster
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I think it's going to be tough for Hingis, because this is her first match in a major in a couple of years, and she's got to be nervous- any former champion would be. While Martina is famous for her mental acuity, when a players gets nervous, the first thing that breaks down is the footwork and then the strokes are not far behind. Another thing to consider is the surface. Rebound Ace is the slowest and highest bouncing hardcourt there is. It will give Vera time to set herself and clock winners because movement is not her greatest asset. Still, Hingis did at one time have a lock on the Russian style, so hopefully she'll remember.

TonyP
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Also remember, Hingis got to the finals here six times, winning three of them. She also won four doubles titles at the AO. She also won three times in Sydney. She sort of does pretty well on Rebound Ace.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I reckon this will be a very entertaining match. I think Martina will take it in three because unfortunately I'm not sure Vera will handle the occasion too well.

bis2806
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Vera, please don't cry anymore. Keep your head up and beat Martina!

tennisjam
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
could have been better, could have been worse...

You never know with Vera...hope Martina wins...

Go Hingis :bounce:

Sammm
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'd go for Hingis on this one. Bartoli and Dushevina crushed her and both are inferior players to Hingis, even a rusty Hingis.

SelesFan70
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Odds on getting a seed are 50%. Of the 32 Vera is one of the more interesting - she has produced good stuff so far in 2006 without excelling. Martina could have picked far worse

Don't you mean 25%?

32 seeds in a 128 draw is 25% of the draw. :p

Sammm
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I think it's a good draw for Martina, she gets to entertain herself by seeing how long it takes her to make vera cry (her mental breakdowns are usually far more entertaining than the match itself), a virtual bye in round 2 and then, with two matches beind her, she plays Mary Pierce, one of the more beatable top 10 players. A good chance to get a huge win.

I just hope that Vera doesn't play her best as on top form she could certainly beat Martina.

Pierce is one of the more beatable players??
The last people to beat her were Clijsters, Mauresmo, Henin and Venus. She's been very hard to beat.

xXSarajevoXx
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hingis will win in 3 sets :D

Knizzle
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Don't you mean 25%?

32 seeds in a 128 draw is 25% of the draw. :p

No SmartGuy. :p

64 potential matches 32 of them will be against seeds so it's 50% like he said. ;)

jonny84
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
This definitley can go either way.

Vera has been playing great of late, but is tempremental and unpredictable.

Martina has come back with a solid basis.

Anyone's guess.

Hingie
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Pierce is one of the more beatable players??
The last people to beat her were Clijsters, Mauresmo, Henin and Venus. She's been very hard to beat.

Don't forget that Pierce doesn't have fond memories of playing Martina in Melbourne. After the nightmare final in 97, Hingis ended Pierce's run in 98 and 99 also.

Pierce is playing at another level though - it would be great if they both reach round 3 so we can see how they match up at this stage in their careers!

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM
too close to call

flyingmachine
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I think this will be an interesting match. :hehehe:

-jenks-
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Good luck Martina!

TeamUSA#1
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:49 AM
ohhhhh The Crying Game is gonna crack under the pressure.... Hingis is gonna win this match in straight sets....

DevilishAttitude
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Hingis should win.

Vera was back to normal from the reports at Sydney and Martina should be able to use it to her advantage.

This match could ruin Vera's year.

Martina 6-2 4-6 6-3 :D

Dirty Sanchez
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM
C'mon Bepa! :yeah: It's going to be a great match, just hope Eurosport will be screening it!

Bezz
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
This is a tough match for Hingis. People talk about vera having all the pressure but Hingis is making her first GS appearance in 3 years at a place where she has reached 6 finals. She already knows there is alot of press attention around her comeback, she has to prove she has the game to hang with someone in the top 30. I think both girls are going to be as nervous as each other. I think when both are playing their best martina should win the match 9 times out of 10, but i dont think either of them are at the moment.

I still expect martina to come through this match but with a fight 2-6 6-1 6-4. :cool:

jenny161185
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM
wow I cant wait Ive the next two weeks off college(how convenient) so Im going to be able to watch all the tennis(in my sisters house- she has eurosport!!)

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Vera lost to Vera D. last week, so I don't know if she is mentally ready for this.

But it should be an entertaining match.

Daniel
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Martina :worship:
Vera :kiss: :hug:

whoever wins, i am happy .

RR-87
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:47 PM
OMG, it's so difficult to choose between your compatriot and such fantastic player as Hingis. But I want Martina to make succesfull comeback. So I wish her good luck. I hope Vera will win their second meeting :bounce:

moby
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM
No SmartGuy. :p

64 potential matches 32 of them will be against seeds so it's 50% like he said. ;)It's a one third probability or 33.3% to 1 decimal point.

There are 96 spots for the non-seeds, and 32 of them are against the seeds.