PDA

View Full Version : Germany Chooses Clay for Fed Cup 1R VS US

pierce0415
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Germany chooses clay for Fed Cup against United StatesJanuary 12, 2006

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) -- Germany chose a clay court for its Fed Cup quarterfinal against the United States in April.

"I expected that we would be playing on clay," U.S. captain Zina Garrison said. "The Europeans tend to go for clay. The match is in April, which is the start of the red clay season, so it gives our players a chance to play on the same surface through the French Open."

German captain Barbara Rittner (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/168/) selected the surface for the April 22-23 outdoor matches in Ettenheim, a town of 12,000 in the southwest part of the country, German Tennis Federation spokesman Torlaf Bitzer said.

"Of course, the clay," Bitzer said. "As slow as possible." The winner will face Belgium or defending Fed Cup champion Russia in the semifinals in July. Germany is back in the top-tier World Group for the first time since 2004. The United States leads the overall Fed Cup series with Germany 6-4. Steffi Graf led the Germans to victory the last two times the countries met -- the 1992 semifinals and 1987 final.

timafi
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
good choice there :)

LefandePatty
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:14 PM
great, I love Clay. :worship:

Craigy
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
oh well, USA will still win :rocker:

Nicjac
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM

lol

No way ;)

volta
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
like everyone does when they have to face US :lol:

US will win :bounce:

<!Society!>
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
poor lindsay on red clay!! haha

CooCooCachoo
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Well, sounds like a surface not suitable for both teams. Least for USA, no doubt.

willrock
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:26 PM
The question is : Will Lindsay and the Williams play? :rolleyes:

TomTennis
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
if Venus, Serena and Davenport play, then no team in the world could beat them, no matter what surface it is.

However, the question is not the surface they play on, but more will they play!!?!!!

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I'd back the USA vs. Germany on clay anyday. :tape: Anyway, I'd back Venus, Lindsay, and Serena on it.

matthias
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
it was sure Germany will choose clay
this is her only chance
and i´m sure the team will not be Davenport Serena and Venus
just one of them and then Raymond for doubles and .....
so Germany should have a chance - not a big chance but at least a chance

spiceboy
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
so Germany should have a chance - not a big chance but at least a chance

If Austria has managed I can see Germany doing the same

Nicjac
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'd back the USA vs. Germany on clay anyday. :tape: Anyway, I'd back Venus, Lindsay, and Serena on it.

Linds on red clay ... well, why did she decide to skip all European clay court events and RG this season? To get it together for Fed Cup? ;)

Serena - yes.

Venus - unsure :tape:

Lisa - hell, no.

And the German team - who will play anyway? ALG? Kloesel and Schruff? :scared: Since when is Rittner team captain by the way?

It's gonna be a blast for sure :lol:

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM
This is so not surprising;)

Paneru
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
The question is : Will Lindsay and the Williams play? :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :p

Venus has been the biggest consistent name
for US Fed Cup over the past few years.

She'll be there for Zina. As will Serena and
Lindsay most likely if healthy.

Venus has performed well on clay over
the past couple years and with her form
back i expect her to do even better.

lolas
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I really hope they make the clay as slow as possible :)

kabuki
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
:rolleyes: :p

Venus has been the biggest consistent name
for US Fed Cup over the past few years.

She'll be there for Zina. As will Serena and
Lindsay most likely if healthy.

Venus has performed well on clay over
the past couple years and with her form
back i expect her to do even better.

:yeah:

kabuki
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Three inches deep and watered down with a hose? :p

turt
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM
if Venus, Serena and Davenport play, then no team in the world could beat them, no matter what surface it is.

However, the question is not the surface they play on, but more will they play!!?!!!
I can think of a country that would be able to beat that team, and could be considered "favourites" in the match-up! :angel:

matthias
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:00 PM

hopefully we will have rain the whole week before

jogoss_78
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Very surprising :p

lindsayno1
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
pah clay!

Nickk
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM
If VENUS, Serena or Lindsay play, I'll so be going. Ettenheim isn't far away from where I live.

Of course, all the Germans would think I'm insane, cheering for the USA. I wouldn't care, though, if I could see the Queen.

I'm hoping Venus will be there, would be such a dream come true. :hearts: :hearts:

Derek.
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
US will still win. :)

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
If VENUS, Serena or Lindsay play, I'll so be going. Ettenheim isn't far away from where I live.

Of course, all the Germans would think I'm insane, cheering for the USA. I wouldn't care, though, if I could see the Queen.

I'm hoping Venus will be there, would be such a dream come true. :hearts: :hearts:

Where the heck is Ettenheim anyway?

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
no wonder...

matthias
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Where the heck is Ettenheim anyway?

http://www.ettenheim.de/html/Ettenheim_Infos/Anfahrt_Ettenheim2.jpg

matthias
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.fedcup-ettenheim.de/

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.ettenheim.de/html/Ettenheim_Infos/Anfahrt_Ettenheim2.jpg

Dank dir;)

That´s a bit too far away from where I live but instead I will go to Halle watch the men play against France (I gotta go see Tommy´s new haircut in person)

DragonFlame
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM

:tape:keep dreaming :rolleyes: the belgianteam certainly could if justine and kim played :) especially on clay ;)

TomTennis
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
:tape:keep dreaming :rolleyes: the belgianteam certainly could if justine and kim played :) especially on clay ;)

keep dreaming, you keep dreaming more like.

the only way ANY team would come close to beating the US team of Venus, Serena and Davenport is the Belgains on clay, as you said, but its not a gaurentee.

Stingray
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Anyone think its kinda unfair how one team can try and get an advantage on the other by picking the slowest/fastest courts?? Ideally fed cup would be multi-surfaced- best hard/clay/grass players from each team

Paule22
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well, sounds like a surface not suitable for both teams. Least for USA, no doubt.

Anna-Lena loves clay!!! ;)

I'm really lookin forward to visit Ettenheim and Karlsruhe again, it's a long drive, but that doesnt matter :)

Tickets are damn expenisive again and so many sold after first day :eek:
I have to get a press pass...but just, how...aaaah

Rexman
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM

vs Belgium, Russia or France on clay you would take USA?

I surely wouldn't.

I will say, on a grass court no team could beat them, but other than that they are beatable.

Wouldn't it be cool if for once we actually had all the top players in Fed Cup?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
good choice, clay ;)
but an obvious one
slower & wetter the better with frequent hosing down after each set
and a ball thats biggest allowable :lol:

ALG better be ok
she's Obi Wan Kenobi for Germany right now.

maybe Tadde can get in team :angel:

DragonFlame
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
keep dreaming, you keep dreaming more like.

the only way ANY team would come close to beating the US team of Venus, Serena and Davenport is the Belgains on clay, as you said, but its not a gaurentee.

lol :lol: can't actually believe you're serious :tape: , they can beat them on any surfuce except grass i wouldn't give them much chance. with clay being the heighest chance. i would give the belgium vs americanteam a 50-50 chance at least. this is 2006 not 2002 :wavey:

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone think its kinda unfair how one team can try and get an advantage on the other by picking the slowest/fastest courts?? Ideally fed cup would be multi-surfaced- best hard/clay/grass players from each team

No, not really. The Davis/Fed Cup are never neutral, the fans are loud and often cheering against the opponent and the whole atmosphere is just differemt. It´s more like football and other team sports. I think that´s what makes the Cups special. I like it that way. Plus the underdog gets the ground choice, they are weaker anyway, so it´s always a cool challenge for the better team.

Paule22
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
good choice, clay ;)
but an obvious one

germany has got so many clay courts, what else should they play on :)

ALG better be ok
she's Obi Wan Kenobi for Germany right now.

maybe Tadde can get in team :angel:

In 1-2 years maybe if she improves, why not. Anna-Lenas performance will decide it. Or Sandra Klösel can show what she can not show on wta tour but showed in Croatia last summer, just fuckin good tennis.

Future Team Germany:
http://home.arcor.de/stamps/fedcupfuture.jpg

iWill
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:00 AM
My thoughts exactly because Lindsay is the only top American who isnt a good clay player and she got to the QF of the FO last year. Venus got to the final in 02 and Serena won it. Germany is prolonging the inevitable. :rolleyes: