PDA

View Full Version : Karatantcheva to Appeal Doping Ban

Infiniti2001
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
By Associated Press

2 hours ago
http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2006/01/11/br-34517.jpg
Bulgaria's Sesil Karatantcheva backhands to USA's Venus Williams during ...

SOFIA, Bulgaria - Bulgarian tennis player Sesil Karatantcheva said Thursday she will appeal her two-year doping ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The 16-year-old Karatantcheva, a quarterfinalist at last year's French Open, was suspended Wednesday by the International Tennis Federation after twice testing positive for the steroid nandrolone.

"I will use my right to appeal before a higher authority," Karatantcheva said.

The ban took effect Jan. 1. She had three weeks to appeal.

Karatantcheva tested positive after the French Open quarterfinal, which she lost to Russia's Elena Likhovtseva on May 31. She also failed an out-of-competition test July 5 in Tokyo. Both tests were treated as a first offense by an ITF tribunal that met Dec. 14-15 in London.

Karatantcheva said the reason for the positive tests was "a personal matter." Her father and coach, Radoslav, confirmed earlier reports that said she was pregnant at the time and had a miscarriage.

"The tribunal's ruling is subjective and one-sided." Radoslav Karatantcheva said.

Karatantcheva's lawyer said she wouldn't deny the positive tests, but would try to prove she had not taken banned substances.

"We have very strong evidence, things which were not taken into account at the hearing of the ITF tribunal," lawyer Darina Zinovieva said. "We'll file an appeal as soon as possible, and surely within the three-week deadline."

Karatantcheva, who beat Venus Williams in the third round at the French, is ranked 41st on the WTA Tour. She was the seventh youngest French Open quarterfinalist in the Open era. Her results at Roland Garros will be nullified and she will forfeit her prize money and ranking points won since that tournament.

In December, Argentine player Mariano Puerta was banned for eight years for his second doping offense, in effect ending his career. He was the first tennis player to receive a ban of more than two years.

Karatantcheva has never won a WTA title, but her showing at the French Open made her a player to watch. She lost in the second round at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Before a third-round match against Maria Sharapova in Indian Wells, Calif., in 2004, the then 14-year-old Karatantcheva vulgarly pledged to beat the Russian because of a perceived slight during training. Sharapova won that match and also defeated her at Wimbledon last year.

Karatantcheva spends six months training in Sofia, and the other half of the year in Sarasota, Fla., at Nick Bolletieri's Tennis Academy.

Her parents are champion Bulgarian athletes _ her father in rowing, her mother in volleyball.

Bubba08
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
At least, she can try to prove her innocence. :shrug:

Martian Jeza
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I hope her ban will be reduced to 6 months : 2 years this is way too much for a girl of her age ! 6 months is more then enough... They should investigate who's the person who gave her nandrolon...

harloo
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I hope her ban will be reduced to 6 months : 2 years this is way too much for a girl of her age ! 6 months is more then enough... They should investigate who's the person who gave her nandrolon...

I think two years is fair. Hopefully during that time she can learn from this whole situation.

auntie janie
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Everyone always appeals; there is nothing surprising about this. Even her lawyer's statement that he has "very strong evidence" of her innocence is par for the course in these cases. But I will be amazed if the ruling is overturned, especially since they admit the test results were accurate, though they claim there is an innocent explanation -- as everyone always does claim. :rolleyes:

Martian Jeza
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I think two years is fair. Hopefully during that time she can learn from this whole situation.

2 years is harsh, this is my opinion ! She also can learn with 6 months ban to think about what she did wrong... She also should be more carefull with people who are around her and not taking anything without a real and clear doctor advice...

Princess Fiona
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
2 years does seem like a long time (I imagine it seems like an eternity to Karatantcheva right now) but Sesil is still very (very) young. Sorry to any 16 year olds reading, I left those days behind a little while ago, lol... ;)

I'm not excusing what may or may not have happened at all but I wish her well.

Andrew..
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Their case is alot weaker than I expected. Nandrolone tests are far from a sure thing, still. Rusedski got his name cleared after testing positive. Nandrolone also occurs naturally via a combination of a high protein diet and extreme cardio-vascular exercises. Oh, and the drug is also used as a form of birth control.

There are still way more questions than answers...

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Everyone always appeals; there is nothing surprising about this. Even her lawyer's statement that he has "very strong evidence" of her innocence is par for the course in these cases. But I will be amazed if the ruling is overturned, especially since they admit the test results were accurate, though they claim there is an innocent explanation -- as everyone always does claim. :rolleyes:

Not everyone appeals...

the strong evidence they have is that she was unknowingly pregnant at the time and later suffered a miscarriage. When pregnant, women have a high level of nandrolone in their systems. If she has evidence of her pregnancy and her miscarriage, I wouldnt be suprized if her ban was overturned.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Their case is alot weaker than I expected. Nandrolone tests are far from a sure thing, still. Rusedski got his name cleared after testing positive. Nandrolone also occurs naturally via a combination of a high protein diet and extreme cardio-vascular exercises. Oh, and the drug is also used as a form of birth control.

There are still way more questions than answers...

such great points :worship:

and to add to your list, nandrolone is present in pregnant women's bodies

nouf
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4483/sesil13oq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

nouf
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6349/sesil24iy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Andrew..
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Did she have a nose job?

Doc
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Unless something new is produced, I don't give the appeal much chance. If you get let off after two positive tests taken months apart, that would virtually rule out drug regulation in tennis.

Her best hope is to get her sentence reduced to a year.

TFan1156
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
As a result the ITF has blacked out details of the Tribunal

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_18354_original.PDF

It seems to be a battle of medical experts as to whether or not the concentrations of the substance occured naturally. Medicine is not an exact science.... The tribunal concedes that the results very well could have been caused inadvertantly by taking dietary supplements. In that case, the issue could be only negligence, on the part of her handlers, no deliberate act by Sesil whatsoever. However, in spite of the obscurities she got the maximum, not because it was just, but surely to instill fear in the rest of the tour... And the tribunal seems to clearly be trying to make themselves feel better by pointing out that she is young and could still have a long career ahead... :rolleyes:

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
It seems to be a battle of medical experts as to whether or not the concentrations of the substance occured naturally. Medicine is not an exact science.... The tribunal concedes that the results very well could have been caused inadvertantly by taking dietary supplements. In that case, the issue could be only negligence, on the part of her handlers, no deliberate act by Sesil whatsoever. However, in spite of the obscurities she got the maximum, not because it was just, but surely to instill fear in the rest of the tour... And the tribunal seems to clearly be trying to make themselves feel better by pointing out that she is young and could still have a long career ahead... :rolleyes:

This tribunal is dangerous.. making banning decisions based on questionable technology.... they are going to end up making a mockery of drug testing by their irresponsible decisions....

R. Federer
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM

They (ITF) do not have jurisdiction over anyone except professional atheletes. They cannot come after you and me, for example.

I think we must not forget that there are possibly two different offenses here (May and July), and already the ITF is counting them as one. That is a leniency being given to Sesil, and two years for that is not a harsh sentence. She will be only 18 when she makes a "comeback"

R. Federer
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
such great points :worship:

and to add to your list, nandrolone is present in pregnant women's bodies

Yes, but before anything else, the first hormone that comes about (within 7-10 days of conception) is beta HCG. It is detected in blood much before nandrolone
You simply cannot be pregnant without beta-HCG greater than 5 ng/ml. And they did not find beta-HCG by a blood test (which is a much much stronger test than doing urine tests like the home pregnancy tests), then she was not pregnant.

In her rebuttal, she is not disclaiming nandrolone in her body. Her appeal is based on (a) ITF did not have legality to test her even though she signed the papers agreeing to be tested and (b) What nandrolone is found is based on being pregnant.

That would mean she was pregnant on July 5, of at least 9-10 weeks. She would have medical documentation about a termination or about prenatal medical aid if she is telling the truth. Her greatest chance is in providing such medical documents

ClaudiaZ-S
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Indeed, there is an error ! Not 2 years but 4 :devil:

Philbo
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
The penalty fits the crime. As If a drug cheat is gonna come out and just fess up and say 'Im guilty, I deserve the punishment'. Anyone defending Sesil really needs to lose the naÔve sense of belief that tennis players donít cheat..

I think its just the tip of the iceberg. Funny how the doping Argies all feel that they are innocent yet how coincidental that nearly all the offences are by players from the same country? Its institionalised.

And claiming that they 'inadvertantly' took the substance in some innocent supplement is a jokeÖ The players are professional, elite athletes who need to take responsibility for any substance they take in - from cold medicines to birth control pills.

2 years is a fair sentence and sets a good example.

vogus
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
This tribunal is dangerous.. making banning decisions based on questionable technology.... they are going to end up making a mockery of drug testing by their irresponsible decisions....

why don't you re-name yourself "ILoveDoping#1". You are this board's most pro-doping poster.

I suspect that Karancheva's people had prepared the pregnancy excuse in advance in case she was caught. Deliberate dopers aren't stupid, they always have a fallback lie ready to use to try and shield themselves from responsibility.

TFan1156
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
The penalty fits the crime. As If a drug cheat is gonna come out and just fess up and say 'Im guilty, I deserve the punishment'. Anyone defending Sesil really needs to lose the naÔve sense of belief that tennis players donít cheat..

I think its just the tip of the iceberg. Funny how the doping Argies all feel that they are innocent yet how coincidental that nearly all the offences are by players from the same country? Its institionalised.

And claiming that they 'inadvertantly' took the substance in some innocent supplement is a jokeÖ The players are professional, elite athletes who need to take responsibility for any substance they take in - from cold medicines to birth control pills.

2 years is a fair sentence and sets a good example.

A joke? Well if you read the document you will find that the tribunal you so praise does not see that scenario as a joke at all, but a real possibilty.

nouf
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:49 PM
http://sportni.bg/ph/pictures/2006.12.01karatancheva/images/P1120288.jpg

Hant11
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
thanks for these good pics of sesil!!

AlexB
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
why don't you re-name yourself "ILoveDoping#1". You are this board's most pro-doping poster.

I suspect that Karancheva's people had prepared the pregnancy excuse in advance in case she was caught. Deliberate dopers aren't stupid, they always have a fallback lie ready to use to try and shield themselves from responsibility.

hold on, i want to take that title of "the board's most pro-doping poster." if you search my old posts on doping here in the forums you will see i dont believe doping is cheating in any way, i am against all drug testing, and think the athlete should decide for themselves if they want to take drugs or not. and yes i know that some drugs are illegal but those laws are a disgrace as well...

griffin
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM
A joke? Well if you read the document you will find that the tribunal you so praise does not see that scenario as a joke at all, but a real possibilty.

An OUTSIDE possibility - so far outside, even Karatantcheva and her defense team aren't raising it. Which should tell you something.

incognito
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Did she have a nose job?
I'd say yes :o

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Nice over dramatization...... I dont love doping, I think it is wrong, and do think it should be outlawed... however, the points I have made is that the testing is unproven, and thus could unjustly harm someone's life. I think they need to get their stuff together first and foucs on true doping issues, not asthma inhalers

griffin
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Nice over dramatization...... I dont love doping, I think it is wrong, and do think it should be outlawed... however, the points I have made is that the testing is unproven, and thus could unjustly harm someone's life. I think they need to get their stuff together first and foucs on true doping issues, not asthma inhalers

Asthma inhalers? Now you're grasping at straws.

The only controversy over these tests is whether the cutoff is reasonable due to the chance that this substance can show up in your blood naturally (after excercize, etc.).

In the two studies I found that looked at elevated nandralone concentrations due to excercize, a few athletes produced enough nandrolone immediately after exertion to come NEAR the reporting threshold, but none of the athletes studied produced enough to go over it. And Sesil didn't test anywhere near the cutoff, her lowest result of the two tests was 5 times the reporting threshold.

The other defense is that this was the result of her being pregnant - pregnancy being easy enough to prove or disprove through the same samples used to test for doping.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
How I am grasping at straws?? Alex B. got a 9 month ban for his asthma inhaler.

griffin
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Because Alex B has nothing to do with someone testing positive TWICE for sky-high steroid results, and having nothing better as a defense than "I was pregnant" (which seems to have proven untrue) and "you have no authority to do this anyway"

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
You are the one that said I was grasping for straws with the astham inhalers????

My point is, that the testing and the rules need to be better set up. We shouldn't just trust this Tribunal blindly. Esp. when their rulings are litered with "it is very plausible that the positive test result was caused by xx".

I am against doping, but before the ITF goes after dopers, it needs to dot all of its' Is and cross all of its' Ts...

Marshmallow
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM
This is just tragic. If she was doping... sad, because she was young enough to put the hard work in naturally. If it was birth control / pregnancy ... i personally find that sad also.

She's a kid... at her young age, she can't be blamed soley. Environmental influence at this age seems a predominant factor.

kabuki
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I'd say yes :o

In that case, I'd say they were a little conservative for my tastes.

vogus
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM
and foucs on true doping issues, not asthma inhalers

this isnt relevant to the SK case, but astma inhalers ARE a doping issue, they can be used to ingest steroids. End of story.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
this isnt relevant to the SK case, but astma inhalers ARE a doping issue, they can be used to ingest steroids. End of story.
so if I have asthma, I souldn't be able to use the only thing that would help me and I am just fucked :rolleyes: the level of Clen from an asthma inhaler is so iincinificant, that even the stupid Tribunal agrees that it is not performance enhancing....

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
the only way asthma inhalers are relevant is that they are causing false positives.....

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
This is just tragic. If she was doping... sad, because she was young enough to put the hard work in naturally. If it was birth control / pregnancy ... i personally find that sad also.

She's a kid... at her young age, she can't be blamed soley. Environmental influence at this age seems a predominant factor.

so agree....... very sad

TheTrash
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Pregnant?! Wasn't me. :rolleyes:

manu32
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
too much athlets have asthma......asthma is a pathology of young people and disappears with age .....but on the "tour de france",laboratory of doping,everybody is asthmatic,good way to take cortison,adrenalin and others.......please stop it.....
and steroids is very common in any sports even at a regional level....so stop it,open your eyes...

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
too much athlets have asthma......asthma is a pathology of young people and disappears with age .....but on the "tour de france",laboratory of doping,everybody is asthmatic,good way to take cortison,adrenalin and others.......please stop it.....
and steroids is very common in any sports even at a regional level....so stop it,open your eyes...

well that is a bullshit generalization....

I didn't develop asthma until adulthood due to allergies. None-the-less, if we accept your flimsy arguement that asthma is apathology of young people... who is the majority playing the sport today..... young people

mimosa
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
What a pity!
Poor, little, sad girl with beautiful eyes.
I wish you all the best. :wavey:

fammmmedspin
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM

But dosing yourself up massively before a GS you couldn't win - where there is enhanced testing - with an excuse like that which wasn't true in reserve would be truly truly stupid.

The record though is full of people who have been banned for this who have claimed everything from meals to natural body biochemistry to supplements to doping by someone else and who were tested to have it when testing was inevitable. Quite a few get off in the end so its not that clearcut.

Basically its a matter of subtle science what could have happened and what not and how reliable any of the tests are. At the moment the choice is between total stupidity or a complex story that the evidence isn't decided on.. The tendancy of drug testing agencies is bound to be to to leap to the simple solution because complex answers would make their job impossible - if they admitted that pregnancy tests were not 100% accurate and nandralone could turn up for innocent reasons, anyone could claim the same defence. In the end it comes down to science and probabilities. The danger is that the drug testing regime relies on the accused proving their innocence and there are very good reasons why in the civilised world things are usually the other way around.

Whatzup
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Two years is really too much for her! Still I don't believe the pregnancy stories and I won't be suprised if it's true that she really took those things. But she was only 15 years old at that time and already in the top 40 of the world and in the quarterfinals of Roland Garros. I think that the pressure was high on her.. and you can't blame a 15 year old for doning such things on her own. They should ban the ones who gave here those things. I think a 6 months ban or a year ban is more than enough! And if she will be testen positive again that a 6 years ban.. but for now this is really too much. I wish her all the best!

@m@nd@
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
i also think that 2 years is a bit too harsh...but oh well shes only 16, hopefully she'll learn from her mistakes and back a strong comeback in 2 years.

UDACHi
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Stupid Sesil. I love you but you need to think before you speak, girl.