PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne, Australia - 2006 Australian Open

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Makiri's third tournament of 2006 is the Melbourne, Australia - Australian Open, starting on 16 January and playing for two weeks ending on 29 January. It is the first of the Grand Slams and is played outdoors on hardcourt. In a battle of two Americans Serena Williams beat Lindsay Davenport for the title last year. There is $19.3M of prize money to be given out across all of the draws. The main womens singles draw of 128 women will have 32 seeds placed, Makiri as #25 in the world surely will gain a seeded position. The top seeds will likely follow the 9 January WTA rankings. Makiri will play two matches against non-seeded opponents and will not play a seeded player until at least the third round. The main womens doubles draw will be 64 teams. As Gisela Dulko will also be at this tournament, if she is heathy we may see the first appearance of the year for Team Dulkolenko. The main draw is to be announced today (Friday, 13 Jan in Melbourne right now). Qualifying rounds started yesterday, so the tournament is slowly gearing up.

Makiri travels to Melbourne from Sydney and will not be changing time zones. She lost in the second round in Sydney to Nadia Petrova, in straight sets and earned 25 ranking points. Melbourne is 8 hours later in the day than her home in Moscow. Makiri's singles record thus far in 2006 is 3-2, her doubles record is 0-1. She is ranked #25 in the 9 January WTA Rankings with 755.50 points, and will very likely maintain this ranking when the 16 Janauray list is made public. This will be the third week in a row Makiri has played.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
The Woman's seeds are announced, they match exactly with the 9 January WTA Ranking sheet from #1-27. Seems #28 Molik and #33 Martinez are not playing so from that point in they move up accordingly (ie Bepa Z is #31 ranked but #30 seeded) with #34 ranked Mizra getting the 32nd and final seed. Makiri is seeded #25.

From the Open website: "Maria Sharapova , seeded No.4, leads a strong Russian contingent of nine seeded players - Nadia Petrova (6), Elena Dementieva (9), 2004 Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina (12), 2004 US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova (14), Elena Likhovtseva (18), Dinara Safina (19), Maria Kirilenko (25) and Vera Zvonareva (30)."

Dementirilenko
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Well mow, Makiri is a seeded player at the Aussie Open. This is the first time in her career as far as I know. The draw will come out this weekend so that we can see who will be her first opponent. Let's hope that the heat in Australia will be no problem for her and that she can find a solid start into my favorite Tourney! Go Makiri!!

houseoflords
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Congrats to Maria on her first career Grand Slam seed. Good luck in the main draw Masha!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Maria on her first career Grand Slam seed. Good luck in the main draw Masha!I want to echo House, this is a major achievement by Makiri! It is another indication of her progress and growth as a tennis player. Congratualtions to her, and wishes for many great Grand Slam results over the upcoming years. After all the years of training and hard work she has earned this honor. Wishing Makiri all the best for a favorable draw and strong play, it would be sweet to go beyond the 3rd round at a Grand Slam (which she achieved at the USO in 2003). Today belongs to Makiri for her success in gaining her first Grand Slam seed!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Oh man, I hope everyone has seen this already, I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news... which is that Lindsay Davenport will be Makiri's likely third round opponent at the Australian Open. Just can't seem to catch a break this year with the draws. Here is Makiri's first grouping of 8:

Lindsay Davenport (1) vs Casey Dellacqua
Alona Bondarenko vs Karolina Sprem
Emmanuelle Gagliardi (WTA Rank #82) vs Galina Voskoboeva (WTA #105)
Evgenia Linetskaya of Russia (WTA #63) vs Maria Kirilenko of Russia (25)

navyseals98
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:25 AM
You never know, Maria could come out ready to play, while Davenport thinking it to be an easy match and just doesn't focus. Maria could pull the upset.

Zoltan83
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Davenport in the third :(
But first she need to win her 2 first matches :D

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:40 AM
You never know, Maria could come out ready to play, while Davenport thinking it to be an easy match and just doesn't focus. Maria could pull the upset.Yes, I am sure if all goes to form and it is Makiri and Lindsay that most certainly Makiri will come to play. Need to enjoy the first two rounds prior to that however. But a peek ahead - Makiri has never played Lindsay, Lindsay is a huge and powerful player and 7 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than Makiri. She plays bash ball, and it is not news that all other things being equal Makiri would prefer not to play a top tier power player. While Lindsay has had trouble winning a Grand Slam, over the past 5 years she has been extremely consistent in going very deep in the draw - she has advanced to the 4th round at every Grand Slam over the past 5 years. And except for a 1st round loss at the French in 2000, this 4th round or better streak goes on for several additional years. It does not seem Lindsay gets caught by surprise in the first three rounds at Grand Slams. But, I will hope and hope that if they play Makiri will come in confident and motivated, with a great game plan... how great would it be for her to beat Davenport, eh!

Andy.
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Well im pretty confident Maria can make it to the third round after that it will be a huge struggle but playing against Lindsay will be a good experience and more that she can put in the bank for experience.

Dementirilenko
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Man, thats a hard draw for Makiri. Linetskaya in the first round is a tough match! Could be not that easy for Queen Maria. And Lindsay in the third round....damn, this is not a lucky draw for someone who is seeded for the first time at a Grand Slam. Makiri doesn't deserve such a hard draw. But lets think optimistic and say that Makiri will get the Match against Lindsay. Ok, she will not have the best chances, but guyz...she can present herself, cause this Match will be shown on Tv all over the World, because Lindz is the World Number 1. Possibly the match will be played at Night at prime time. This is great for Makiri, she can show her talent to the world!

so.krist!na
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM
good luck against zhenya

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM
this Match will be shown on Tv all over the World, because Lindz is the World Number 1. Possibly the match will be played at Night at prime time. This is great for Makiri, she can show her talent to the world!Henry - For sure if it comes to a Makiri-Lindsay match it will be on US television, and I think ESPN has the Australian Open rights. ESPN loves Makiri, they showed her French 2004 match versus Williams several times, how I got to "know" Makiri two years ago.

King Aaron
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Let Masha reach the 3rd round first. ;) Then we can talk about Lindsay. Good luck Maria! :yeah:

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
First round opponent - Evgenia Linetskaya: Makiri has never played her. She is from Russia (really don't like it when Makiri has to play other Russians), is 5' 9.5" (177 centimeters) and 132 pounds (60 kilograms) which makes her slightly taller and heavier than Makiri. She is 19 years old right now, but only about 2 months older than Makiri (reminder - Makiri turns 19 years old in 12 days, on 25 Jan). Her current WTA Ranking is 63, but she was as high as #35 just last summer. In other words, at the USO2005 Linetskaya was about 10 spots better than Makiri in the rankings. The good news is in the last 6 months Makiri has improved while Linetskaya has gone in reverse. The worrisome news is that at last year's Australian Open Linetskaya had three wins and a loss, i.e. she made it to the 4th round, a place Makiri has yet to visit in a Grand Slam. Evgenia has been quoted in the press saying she trained very hard in the off season and is determined to raise her ranking back to where it was. Her lifetime win-loss record is, well, very good. I don't know how Linetskaya plays style wise, but she and Makiri seem to be pretty close to each other in a lot of ways beyond the fact they are both Russians.

SINGLES
Winner (4 times): 1. 2004 ITF/Jackson-USA; 2. 2004 ITF/Bronx-USA; 3. 2003 - ITF/St.Petersburg-RUS; 4. 2002 - ITF/Minsk-BEL.
Semifinalist (twice): 2005 - Pattaya City; Memphis.
Quarterfinalist (twice): 2005 - Rome; 2004 - Tokyo Japan Open.

Win Loss Record - Singles 96-49.

Andy.
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:10 PM
She is a hard hitter but not a very good mover at all not the fittest looking player.

@m@nd@
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM
good luck maria! not an easy 1r...evgenia is a tough opponent but im pretty confident that maria can beat her.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Monday's Australian Open schedule posted - Makiri will be the second match on Court 7 on 16 January, with the first match starting 1100 Melbourne time (roughly 33 hours from now as I write this). Udachi, Makiri! Doubles draw still not posted. No doubt Makiri will have a practice session at the complex later today, if anyone is there for the Qualifiers and you see her, an "on the scene" report would be great.

Dementirilenko
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Damn, I can't watch Makiri's matches due to my work. Can't support her! I hope the Tv in Germany will show a kinda summary of the matches of the day in the evening.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
The world is starting to "discover" Makiri, I hope all the attention does not change her. She is very special just the way she is. From "The Age" of Australia. Full article includes a photo of Big Masha arriving at Melbourne airport:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/tennis-girls-get-fit-and-rich-for-fashion/2006/01/14/1137119006893.html

Tennis girls get fit (and rich) for fashion
January 15, 2006

Rachel Wells reports.

TIGHT pink shorts, colourful Lycra, bicep-baring tanks. Mardi gras, right? Wrong. We're talking about tennis — sexy tennis.

The game of fashion in tennis has come a long way since the days of white-collared polos and pleated skirts. And where better than Melbourne — fashion capital of Australia — for the stars of this year's Open to get their gear on in a battle of brands, off the court and on.

The on-court fashion stakes are so fiercely contested that adidas has enlisted London's Stella McCartney to design a collection of tennis apparel. The range will be launched in Melbourne this afternoon by 25th-ranked Russian tennis beauty Maria Kirilenko, who will wear the colourful collection of sexy tennis dresses, jumpsuits, tanks and shorts throughout the Australian Open and beyond.

King Aaron
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:30 PM
The world is starting to "discover" Makiri, I hope all the attention does not change her. She is very special just the way she is. From "The Age" of Australia. Full article includes a photo of Big Masha arriving at Melbourne airport:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/tennis-girls-get-fit-and-rich-for-fashion/2006/01/14/1137119006893.html

Tennis girls get fit (and rich) for fashion
January 15, 2006

Rachel Wells reports.

TIGHT pink shorts, colourful Lycra, bicep-baring tanks. Mardi gras, right? Wrong. We're talking about tennis — sexy tennis.

The game of fashion in tennis has come a long way since the days of white-collared polos and pleated skirts. And where better than Melbourne — fashion capital of Australia — for the stars of this year's Open to get their gear on in a battle of brands, off the court and on.

The on-court fashion stakes are so fiercely contested that adidas has enlisted London's Stella McCartney to design a collection of tennis apparel. The range will be launched in Melbourne this afternoon by 25th-ranked Russian tennis beauty Maria Kirilenko, who will wear the colourful collection of sexy tennis dresses, jumpsuits, tanks and shorts throughout the Australian Open and beyond.

A fashion line that will be mainly focused on Maria? :drool: :D :yeah: I know this isn't her very own line but asking Maria to launch the line shows how highly they rate her. :hearts: I think she'll look amazing.

Now I understand why Maria hasn't been wearing anything new in Auckland and Sydney. ;)

Andy.
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM
It looks like a good move going to Adidas then

houseoflords
Jan 15th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Linestskya is not an easy opponent. I watched her win a two years ago at the GHI Bronx Classic. She has very good groundstrokes and likes to paint the lines. She isn't a great mover so Maria needs to move her around the court. Masha needs to be on her game. She plays her game, she wins. Good luck Masha!!

Keraj
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, Linetskaya can play very well, but her results lately are catastrophic... so Masha should be too good for her.

Lets hope that fashion show, didn`t distract her too much ;)

Dementirilenko
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I agree, she wss named to one of the rising stars at the beginning of the last season, but she couldn't underline this statements with good results. Ok, she has beaten Mauresmo at Indian Wells I think, but I didn't hear something about her during the last months. I only saw her a couple of times playing, and what I can say is the same as houseoflords says. She plays powerful Tennis, but isn't a great mover. Good Luck Makiri!!

King Aaron
Jan 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM
It looks like a good move going to Adidas then
I've never really liked Nike, so when she changed to adidas I was really glad. Besides, Nike already has Serena, Dani and Maria S. so it was definitely a smart move. :)

About Evgenia, I think she's also been a victim of an abusive dad and she did get injured I think last year after her win over Amelie. Maria though should beat her no matter what. Be on your game and win tomorrow Masha! :kiss:

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Doubles draw finally posted. Team Dulkolenko once again scheduled to make its first appearance of 2006. They are the #10 seed. With 64 teams playing doubles, there will be six rounds, here is Team Dulkolenko's bracket for the first two rounds, they are the seeded team in this bracket:

Gisela Dulko ARG (10)/Maria Kirilenko RUS (10)
vs.
Dally Randriantefy MAD/Anna Smashnova ISR

Monique Adamczak AUS/Christina Horiatopoulos AUS
vs.
Lisa McShea AUS/Bryanne Stewart AUS

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Makiri's match against Linetskaya has started. Makiri broke in the first game at 30; held serve at 40; then broke at love for a 3-0 lead in the first set. Linetskaya has just broken back at love, 3-1. Makiri just broke back to go up 4-1. Makiri one ace, two double faults and 9 unforced errors, 6 winners. Linetskaya 5 double faults, no aces and 10 unforced errors, and zero winners.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Makiri holds service (yippee!!!) in a long game, gets her second ace. Double faults and unforced errors slowing down. Makiri 15 first serves in on 22 serves, a nice 70%! Makiri breaks in an 8 point duece game and wins the first set 6-1. She seems to be very much in control. First set she had 68% first serve %, two double faults and has really cut back on the unforced errors the past few games, ending with 11. Seven winners a points total of 28-16, good stuff. Makiri will serve to open the second set - not a real advantage in the first set with two holds (both for Makiri) and 5 breaks.

Derek.
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:49 AM
6-1 :)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Second set - Makiri broken at 15 in the opening game, 61 01. Not to worry, Linetskaya has not held serve yet. Makiri breaks back at 15 to tie 1-1. Makiri had two winners to go with a Linetskaya double fault and unforce effort to take the game. Makiri serving in a match with 7 breaks and 2 holds so far! Makiri wins the first three points with a winner and two unforced efforts and may hold serve....yes, Makiri holds at love for a 61 21 lead going into the court change.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM
BTW, would love to see some of Makiri's match on ESPN2, but they have been non-stop on the Venus Williams match. After winning the first set easily, Venus got bageled 06 in the second set and then got down 35 in the third. She just broke back to 45 and now back on serve. Her opponent is one Pironkova from Bulgaria, like 95 rank. The American broadcasters are having trouble with her last name, they keep calling her the "young Bulgarian".

Three upsets so far on the woman's side, Dementivia (#9 seed) got beat 57 26 (sorry Henry); and the two women bookending Makiri in the seeds both lost, so #24 Golovin out in three sets and #26 Sugiyama out in straight sets. Lindsay and Nadia both win by the same score 62 61 but Daniela H needed a third set to Soari Obata. For some reason there was about a 10 minute delay coming out of the court change over but they are back at it with Linetksaya. Makiri got down 30-40 but is back at duece, unforced error by Linetskava and a winner by Makiri and it is 61 31 with Makiri serving. Makiri gets another ace but is down 15-30 when Linetskaya retires. Makiri wins 61 31 ret.

Keraj
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Oh well, I guess a win is a win :)
Just some trouble holding serve by Masha...

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Final stats - 40 minute match - 24 first set, 16 second. Makiri 62% first serve percentage (21-34), 3 aces, 3 double faults, 13 winners, 16 unforced effors. She won 52% of her first serves, 46% of her second. Makiri came to the next 16 times (out of a total of 69 points played) and won 8 for a 50% (am sure she wants to improve that). Total points 43 won by Makiri, 26 lost. She held serve 3 times and was broken 2 times. Did not actually see the match as Pironkova-Venus Williams is now 7-7 in the third set and ESPN2 never moved off that match. They also showed a lot of the Davenport match, go figure, American TV showing the high seed American players, and never cut to a blow out match between two Russians. But all in all a very convincing, rout by Makiri in 40 minutes. The second round match up should not be as challenging. Maybe best of all for me, Makiri comes back off a tough lost to Petrova and wins, just as she came off a tough loss to Bepa Z and beat Gisela in Sydney. She has shown some resiliancy, hasn't she. And continues another nice trend, she keeps beating the players she should beat. This is how Big Masha got it all started. A great day for Makiri fans!

Zoltan83
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Good start even if she didn't finish the match :)

Keraj
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Masha will play another Russian in the second round...
Voskoboeva beat Gagliardi 64 63

houseoflords
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Good start for Masha. Always good to get an easy win off the bat, even if she did have a little difficulty on serve. Her return was obviously working which is a really good sign and although she only won half the points, I'm glad to see she came to net 16 times. She needs to be aggressive and keep coming to net. Good luck in round 2 Masha!! Keep it rolling!!

Derek.
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Good win Masha. :) Good luck against Galina! :cool:

Dementirilenko
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Congrats to Makiri for reaching the second round!!! Neyt up is Galina, should be a possible task, am i right. As we can see, the third round against Lindsay is close.

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Well done on the victory Maria

Langers
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Well I had an awesome day at the tennis today. The Kirilenko game started at about 2:00. Firstly I have to say she looked magnificent in her outfit. The crowd was pretty poor to begin with, but as they walked past and saw this gorgeous girl playing, more and more came to watch. Maria played quite well, she came into net every so often and really moved her opponent around the court. It was obviously her plan to move her from side to side and wear her down. Then at the beginning of the second set, she took an injury time out, and there was speculation as to whether she would retire. She eventually came back out, but only played for another 2 or so games before retiring. The game probably lasted about 45 minutes, so Maria wasn't tested much at all. Then came the real excitement from the day. Maria was signing plenty of autographs, and then she came over to where I was and have me an autograph. She is truly one of the nicest girls; she stayed for ages just signing everything.

Then as I was wondering around the outside courts towards the end of the day I happened to see Maria having a hit with her coach. She had a long session, and once again she signed plenty of autographs to please all her fans. Can’t wait to see her again on Wednesday!

I took plenty of pics, now I just have to figure out how to post them.

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the report great to hear

Keraj
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
THX a lot Langers :yeah:

Then as I was wondering around the outside courts towards the end of the day I happened to see Maria having a hit with her coach.

You mean with her father , right ? I`m asking because as far as i know she don`t have a coach, which BTW I find a little strange... but as long as she is winning I won`t complain about that ;)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Well I had an awesome day at the tennis today. The Kirilenko game started at about 2:00. Firstly I have to say she looked magnificent in her outfit.Daniel - Absolutely awesome that you got to meet Makiri and see her play up close! Court 7 is pretty small so you should have been right with the action during the match. So how did she sign your autograph, the script MK? Thanks for the report, please keep 'em comin'.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Day 2 - Tuesday will be Makiri-less. No matches scheduled as the women's singles will be going through the bottom half of the draw and doubles have not begun yet. BTW, the Mixed Doubles draw not posted yet and Makiri often will play mixed at the slams. Some interesting trends from day 1
1. 16 seeds played and 6 lost in the first round (out are 24 Golovin, 10 Venus W., 26 Sugiyama, 28 Medina Garrigues, 9 Dementieva, 29 Koukalova) and 3 more had to go a 3rd set to win (Daniela H, Serena W, Jankovic). So only 7 of the 16 seeds did what Makiri accomplished, straight set win in the first round.
2. Big Masha starts 2006 with a good win 62 61 and plays a qualifier Ashley Harkleroad of the US in the second round. She has 2 more rounds without a seeded player in her way but may catch Daniela or Serena in the 4th round.
3. The Asian woman (China and Japan) went 0 wins - 6 losses.
4. The "big Russia" did well with 9 of the final 32 in the top half of the draw being from Russia or the Ukraine.
5. Of Makiri's friends, Marta Donmachowska got Henin-Hardenne in the first round and lost in straight sets. Big Masha won as noted. Gisela Dulko and Anna Chakvetadze play today.
6. The two seeds that would be first in Makiri's way both won easily, so for all the upsets none of near term help for her - what you thought a draw might break in her favor a little bit? Davenport (1) wins at 2 & 1; Kuznetsova (14) wins at 1 & 3.

Dementirilenko
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Walt - please don't remember me on Dementieva`s loss again!!! ;)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Makiri's round 2 opponent - Galina Voskoboeva, from Moscow, they have never played each other. Galina is 21 years old so she is a little more than 2 years older than Makiri. At 6' (1.83m) and 147 pounds (67kg) she is quite a bit bigger. Turned pro in 2002, just after Makiri (who went pro October 2001) but has been going to college over the past four years and graduated from University RUPF in Moscow in 2005. Even though on the WTA Tour for nearly 4 years, she is at her highest ranking of 105 right now. After graduating from college she must have gone wild playing tournaments because she played 30 last year (more than Makiri who played 25 tournaments...and we thought she played a lot). Galina's preferred surface is hardcourts, the Australian Open surface. Began playing tennis at age six after being introduced to the sport by her mother, Elena. Her stated goal is to reach the Top 20.

Yet another Russian opponent for Makiri, this makes it 5 of her first 7 matches in 2006 (if you include Belarus as being Russian) and it is hard to believe but 4 of the first 7 have been against players from Makiri's home town of Moscow (Nadia P, Bepa Z, Evgenia Linesskaya and now Galina). These first 2 opponents show how special Makiri is, both are older and bigger, but Makiri has had a better career and a more promising future. For every Big Masha who has done better than Makiri, there must be dozens of Galina's and Evgenia's.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Makiri plays her singles second round match today (Wednesday in Melbourne) as the second match on Court 18. The first match, starting at 1100, is a men's singles, between the #85 and #62 ATP ranked players. Doubles matches start today, but Makiri not playing. Makes sense to have her playing doubles on her "off" day from singles. Court 18 is way out there, on the other side of the main building about as far away from the main matches as one can be. Makiri is the only seeded singles player over on that side of the grounds today. Anyone going to that match should be right up close to the action.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hey guys, sorry for all the posts I am trying to cut back. Thought you would find this interesting... Makiri came on the Russian site about 20 minutes ago. No big deal, except it is 0245 on Wednesday morning in Melbourne (1845 Tuesday night back home in Moscow) and her match starts say 1230 today. Wrote her a post wishing her good luck later today (udachi, actually closer to success later today Maria). She has now gone off, time for her to get some sleep...

navyseals98
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Walt, sorry for what, your information is great and always updated. By the way what is the address to the Russian site you were just talking about.

King Aaron
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Good luck against Galina today! :)

Dementirilenko
Jan 17th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, sorry for all the posts I am trying to cut back. Thought you would find this interesting... Makiri came on the Russian site about 20 minutes ago. No big deal, except it is 0245 on Wednesday morning in Melbourne (1845 Tuesday night back home in Moscow) and her match starts say 1230 today. Wrote her a post wishing her good luck later today (udachi, actually closer to success later today Maria). She has now gone off, time for her to get some sleep...

Walt, you don't need to say sorry for all your postings. Your my best source when I am searching some news about Makiri!! Thanx for your work! I would like to help you for sure, but I don't have the time, cuz I am working the whole day, but you do definetly a great job! just go on this way.

Andy.
Jan 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Yeah no need to cut back at all your like one of the leaders hear and keep us up to date and informed. Anyhow good luck to Maria today this is a winnable match she just has to play her game and keep her cool.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM
The first match has completed on Court 18 and at about 1330 Melbourne time Makiri should be on the court in warm-ups. Lindsay D has already won her second round match defeating Karolina Sprem 76(4) 63, so a Makiri win sets up her third rounder with Lindsay most likely on Friday. Galina Voskoboeva (GV) will be serving first. Here in the States, ESPN2 has decided to show college basketball right now, and will not be joining the Australian Open for another hour and a half, once again Makiri's US fans are shutout. Makiri enters this match at 4 wins - 2 losses in singles for 2006. Of the two who have beaten her Nadia P wins the first round match at 2 & 1, while Bepa Z got torched by Hingis at 1 & 2. Bepa was truly clueless in early exits at Sydney and Melbourne. Dulko also won in the first round, both halves of Team Dulkolenko in the second round.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Makiri opens the matched with an unforced error off the backhand, matched by a GV unforced error, Makiri wins the next two points for a 15-40 lead and wraps up the first game by winning the next point. Makiri breaks for 1-0 lead. Makiri serving, two unforced errors lead to a quick game lost at love, Makiri broken 1-1. GV serving, two Makiri lost points sandwiched around a double fault lead to a 30-15 lead for GV. GV double faults again but then wins the next point for a 40-30 lead. GV wins the next point, Makiri down 1-2 but on serve.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Makiri serving 4th game, opens with an unforced error, followed by a good shot by Makiri and then an ace for a 30-15 lead. Makiri then loses the next three point and is broken at 15, Makiri down 1-3, broken on both serves. GV serving game 5 opens by winning the first two points, the second with an ace. Another point for GV to 40-0 until Makiri wins a point, but GV closes out the game holding at 15. Makiri down at the court change-over 1-4. I have Makiri only winning three points in the last two games.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Makiri serving the 6th game, immediately loses the first two points, down 0-30. Then she rallies to win the next three points for 40-30, and closes it out with four straight points won! Makiri holds serve, down 2-4, but maybe momentum changing. I have the points at 12-19 against Makiri at this point. GV serviing 7th game - she double faults (third one as I recall) then hits two winners for a 30-15. GV wins on a good shot and goes up 40-15. Makiri wins a point then loses the game on the next point at 30, GV holds for 2-5 against Makiri.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Going into game 8, GV has 8 winners to Makiri's 3 and GV has forced Makiri into a lot of errors. Makiri serving, GV winner followed by 2 GV unforced errors and a Mikiri winner lead to a 40-15 for Makiri. A GV unforced error and Makiri holds at 15, down 3-5. Big ninth game on GV's serve. Makiri moves to a 15-40 lead on a GV unforced, a GV winner and another 2 GV unforced errors. Makiri makes an unforced error for 30-40, GV gets to duece, Makiri loses a point and facing set point, wins on a GV unforced error. Another GV unforced error and Makiri's ad.... come on Makiri... Makiri wins the point!!!! A break gets her back on serve at 4-5. Whew. Total points now at 25-28 against Makiri. But GV has 10 winners and 15 unforced errors, both for good and bad she seems to be setting the tone for the set.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Makiri serving 10th game, goes up quickly 30-0, come on GV keep those unforced errors coming... Makiri wins the third point for 40-0. Makiri wins at love for 5-5. One unforced error by GV, then three Makiri winners. GV serving Makiri wins the first point, and the second point... GV's parade of unforced errors stated back up, Makiri 0-30. Two winners in a row by GV get it to 30-30. Make that 3 GV winners in a row, Makiri down 40-30. GV wins the next point and Makiri down 5-6, on serve. Tough one, Makiri let's a 0-30 lead turn into a lost game at 30.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Makiri serving 12th game, GV starts with two unforced errors, but Makiri double faults, yikes. Makiri then goes up 40-15 with a winner. GV unforced gives Makiri a hold for 6-6. GV loses serve in the tie-break on a Makiri winner. Makiri holds both her serves on GV unforced errors for 3-0. GV serving gets broken on a double fault then wins a point on a Makiri unforced error. Makiri serving up 4-1 in the tiebreaker. A GV unforced error and a Makiri winner and it is 6-1 Makiri! First set to Makiri 76(1).

First set stats - Makiri 65% first serve percentage, two double faults, 7 winners and 10 unforced errors. Points 42-34 for Makiri. First set took 50 minutes. All that needs to be said about GV - 11 winners and 24 unforced errors. GV was clearly going for it and missed more often than not. Nearly 2 points per game on unforced errors. Another key, Makiri has a good first serve % and won 77% of her first serves. Seems to be taking a long time to get the second set going....

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:54 AM
After coming back from 1-4 to win the first set, Makiri serves game 1, set 2. Two quick points (1 a GV unforced error) get Makiri out to a 30-0 lead. Makiri's unforced error followed by two more Makiri points (another on a GV unforced error) and Makiri holds for 1-0. Two more GV unforced errors, keeping up with her average from the first set. GV serving game 2. They split the first 4 points for 30-30. Makiri makes an unforced error but follow with two winners for Ad Makiri. GV gets back to deuce. Then 2 unforced errors by GV and Makiri breaks for a 2-0 lead. Makiri serving game 3 - GV winner followed by 2 GV unforced errors and a Makiri winner and Makiri up 40-15. Another GV unforced error closes out a hold for Makiri and a 3-0 lead. How many times does the underdog put up a good fight in the first set, lose a close one and then tank in the second set. GV unforced errors coming at a frantic rate right now. Makiri should close this thing out and hit the showers.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:01 AM
GV serving game 4 - a Makiri winner followed by two forced errors, Makiri down 30-15. Makiri wins to 30-30, but GV comes back to win the next two points and holds at 30, Makiri serving game 5 up 3-1. Geez, a double fault and an unforced error and Makiri down 0-30. Then 3 GV unforced errors!!! Makiri up 40-30, make that 4 unforced errors in a row, Makiri holds for 4-1 going into the court change-over.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Makiri loses game 6 at love, not much more to say. Makiri serving game 7 goes up 15-0 with a winner, splits the next two points 30-0 to 30-15, a GV unforced error followed by a Makiri winner and she holds at 15 for a 76(1) 52 lead into the court change over. March at 83 minutes, Makiri up in points 68-51.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:25 AM
GV serving - Makiri wins on a GV forced error, a Makiri winner, a GV winner followed by her umpteenth unforced error and Makiri up 15-40, match points in hand! Unexplicably Makiri loses the next 4 points and loses the game. Makiri up 5-3 but a GV break gets this set back on serve. Come on Makiri close it out! Makiri serving and makes 2 unforced errors to go down 0-30 - SIX points in a row for GV after facing double match point. Makiri finally breaks the string and wins a point and then another and gets to 30-30. Oh man, Makiri double faults to 30-40, break point for GV to get back on serve. GV makes an unforced error, to duece. Makiri double faults again, but wins the next point on a forced error by GV, back to duece. GV takes the next point on a winner for her ad. Makiri gets it back to duece. Hello, Makiri was up a set and 4-1 in the second set, this should not be this exciting. Makiri wins the point on a winner to take ad, but GV wins back to duece when Makiri double faults yet again this game. GV ad on another double fault and then Makiri wins the next point back to duece. We are up to 7 dueces and I am getting off track. GV takes the next two points, breaks Makiri's serve. Set 2 is now 5-4 Makiri, and on serve. Makiri has just blown a 4-1 lead, blown two match points, and just lost a very long service game where she double faulted four times.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Game 10 second set, GV serving - Makiri loses the first point on a forced error, but comes back and wins the next three points on two GV unforced errors and a Makiri winner, Makiri up 15-40, two match points. Geez, two unforced errors by Makiri get the game to duece. Another GV unforced error give Ad and another match point to Makiri. Makiri loses on an error back to duece. A Makiri winner for ad, and yet another match point, come on Makiri close it out. Yes, another GV unforced error and Makiri wins the match 76(1) 64. On to the third round. Her second third round appearance in a Grand Slam. Lindsay Davenport up next, likely on Friday.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Final Match Stats for Makiri's second round win over Galina Voskoboeva 76(1) 64. Time of the match 1 hour and 52 minutes (50 first set, 62 second set). Makiri had a 66% first serve percentage (48 of 73) and won 75% of her successful first serves. Nice, 36 of her 83 won points came in this manner. She had one ace early in the match and 7 double faults. She won only 40% of her second serves. She wound up with 17 winners (to GV's 18), but had 29 unforced errors (GV ends up with a absolutely terrible 44 unforced errors, more than half of Makiri's 83 won points were on unforced errors by her opponent). Makiri came to the net 19 times (in 153 total points played) and won 11 of them. At 58% success, better than last match's 50%, but not by much. The bottom line is GV got ahead 1-4 in set one and lost in a tie-breaker, Makiri got ahead 4-1 in set two and held on to win 6-4. GV's unforced errors hurt her badly in key parts of the match. Makiri's first serve % and the % of points she won off those first serves also a key. Makiri was broken 3 times, but one was that very long duece game in game 9 of the second set. A win is a win, but all the double faults and unforced errors by both players, was not pretty.

Keraj
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:02 AM
7 or 8 MP`s needed against a girl who was never in TOP 100... I don`t expect miracles on Friday...

houseoflords
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM
While it wasn't pretty, it still is a good win for Masha. It matches her career best result at a Grand Slam (2003 US Open). The 7 double faults is a concern. She'll need to reduce that drastically if she wants any chance of beating Davenport. Although her success rate at net isn't what I'd like it to be, she needs to keep comiong to net. I actually would like her to come in even more.

The good news for us Masha fans here in the States is that we should get to see some Kirilenko on tv for a change with Davenport being Maria's next opponent.

Good luck Masha! Go for it!

so.krist!na
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Maria will play Mixed Doubles with Igor Andreev... :hearts:
I love this team!
and they will play Ivanovic/Djokovic first round..OMG..:unsure:
good luck igor/maria!

Andy.
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Tougher than i would have thought but she did well to fight thru a win, well done Maria good luck against Lindsay

ceciliaf92
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Maria beat the 2 players she had to beat, now just try you best :kiss: !
Davai Masha!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
As expected, Team Dulkolenko opens its 2006 season on Thursday (19 Jan) as the 3rd match on Court 21. There is only one more court further out from the main action than Court 21, they keep pushing Makiri further and further out on the grounds, if this keeps up she will play her next match in Sydney (which Drew would love!). First round opponent Randriantefy/Smashnova. Gisela will also be playing her 2nd singles (first match on court 6 at 1100) Thursday. The first two matches on Court 21 are mens doubles so maybe Team Dulkolenko hits the court around 1400 hours, about 2100 hours Wednesday night where I live, ESPN2 starts their Australian Open coverage at 2130 my time and I am sure they will cut right to a women's doubles match on Court 21, not. Tournament scheduling has been very logical, a nicely run show so far, if it continues as such Makiri-Lindsay I (first match between the two) will be on Friday Melbourne/Thursday evening in the US.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks CaroRulz for the mixed doubles info! Now how cool would it be to have a chance to play mixed doubles with Makiri, so a bit on Igor Andreev. Born, raised and still lives in Moscow (ok, starting to get this mental image that everyone in Moscow is a tennis player), #23 seed in mens singles. He won his first singles match and is to the second round. Played Men's Doubles with Davydenko and they lost in three sets in the first round. He is 22 years old, 6' (1.83) and 176 pounds (80).

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
One last "fact thing"... Makiri did in fact hold her #25 ranking in the 16 January WTA Rankings. This #25 ranking is the highest Makiri has ever attained and she has now held it for a good bit of time. The person in front of Makiri is Golovin who lost in the first round at the Australian Open and was protecting a 2nd round result from 2005. She will drop points in the next ranking. Makiri also is protecting a 2nd round result but has already advanced to the 3rd round. She will pick up points in the next ranking. As Makiri was only behind Golovin by 28 ranking points, hehe, we may just see her move up to #24 in the post Australian Open rankings! Number 23 is Jankovic who is some 90 points ahead of Makiri, she was protecting a 2nd round from 2005 and lost in the second round last night. Unless Makiri goes several rounds deeper in the draw, not likely she will get to Jankovic, but she will close the gap a bit. Forget #22 Ivanovic and #21 Groenefeld, both still playing and pretty far ahead of Makiri in points. For some perspective numbers 9,10,11,18,23,24,26,28,29,30 have already lost at the Australian Open, seems that Makiri will be putting some more distance between herself and many directly behind her in the rankings.

King Aaron
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
:) Well done on reaching the 3rd round. Now just play your best against Lindsay on Friday.

Good luck in doubles tomorrow and also in mixed doubles. :kiss:

Andy.
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for keeping us soooo up to date and informed your doing a great job

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Team Dulkolenko wins easily in their first match of 2006, may there be many more of these to come. The match was never really in doubt. ESPN2 kept noting how hot it was yesterday in Melbourne so the key thing might have been to get it done as quickly as possible and get to the showers, match time was one hour straight up. As Makiri said in her interview, doubles matches don't build her confidence, but they give her experience (like standing near the net, getting serving reps, playing volleys).

Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd. Match
Gisela Dulko ARG (10)
Maria Kirilenko RUS (10) 6 6

Dally Randriantefy MAD
Anna Smashnova ISR 2 2

Elapsed Time by Set: 28 32
Total Points 63 won - 44 lost.
Team Dulkolenko had 1 ace and 4 double faults; 2 winners and 10 unforced errors. They won 73% of their first serves and had a first serve % of 74% (37 of 50). Don't know that doubles stats do much for us, you can't tell which results are Makiri's and which are Gisela's. But a trend for Makiri so far in Melbourne has been a high first serve percentage, and a very good percentage of wins off those first serves. Seems that is the statistical difference between the two teams in this match.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Makiri has one match scheduled for Friday (20 Jan), 3rd round singles against Lindsay Davenport. It is the third match of the day in Rod Laver Arena. Big Masha's match opens play at 1100, then Andy R plays his third round singles, then Makiri. It should be around 1430-1500 hours Melbourne time when she starts. 1500 hours Melbourne is 2200 hours Thursday night in Texas, and ESPN2 coverage tonight starts at 2200 hours... guess who's going to be on TV in America tonight :bounce: :bigclap: :clap2:

Mix doubles play starts today but Makiri is not scheduled for any doubles matches. They have done a very nice job spreading out Makiri's matches, she has played no more than one a day and actually caught a day with no matches.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Makiri's dad was on Russian TV last night, a quote from a Russian poster, "But into 20:35 on tv here yesterday listened to Maria's dad Yuri - very sociable and benevolent!". A quote from Maria's dad went something along the lines of the english phrase (as I understand it) - Against Davenport we have little to lose but much to gain. Maria seems to be blessed with a supportive and intelligent dad who "gets it". If Makiri loses, well no one expects her to win, but if she wins it moves her to another level. She will be on tv in Russia (posters already speaking of insomnia tonight, but the match will be on around 0700 hours in Moscow), here in the US, certainly in Australia and throughout most of the world. Makiri's big moment, on the big stage (Rod Laver Arena, this ain't court 21 anymore), against a #1 player who is not her best friend, on worldwide tv. I can believe she will come out nervous, and if she cannot get pumped up about this match and be ready to play she may want to think about going to college. And if dad convinces her she has nothing to lose, just go out there and give it your best shot...

If we wish to be realistic like Makiri's dad...at the Australian Open, since 1994 (think how old you were in 1994) Lindsay has played every Australian Open except 2002 and advanced to the 4th round or beyond each time (makes it 11 times in a row). In all Grand Slams since 1998 Lindsay has made it to the 4th round all but once (a first round loss at Roland Garros in 2000). So Lindsay does not take the early round matches lightly, comes prepared to play, and beats players she should beat. Lindsay is huge compared to Makiri, clearly has the power game advantage, and has been on the tour for 13 years and has the experience factor. And if Lindsay needed a wake-up call this year, she got it last match against Sprem. All that said, hope springs eternal. As they have never played, Makiri does not have any negative emotional baggage carried into the match. And mercifully Makiri is not playing one of the top tier Russian players in this match (I prefer this match against Lindsay over say a match against Nadia P). And they will be playing during the hottest part of the day, should give the 18 year old who is in great shape an advantage over the nearly 30 year old Lindsay, especially in a longer match. Makiri is nimble and quick, Lindsay is big and lumbering, maybe Makiri's dad has figured out it would be a good thing to make Lindsay move from side to side and back and forth. Lindsay has a big serve, but Makiri has been returning serve really well of late. Lindsay punishes second serves, but Makiri has been great on first serve percentage and winning points off those first serves. Lindsay feeds off power, but Makiri can play junk ball with slices and change of speeds, trips to the net, play the angles. If you view this match from Lindsay's camp, there are probably other players she would perfer to play in the 3rd round. The mind says a Makiri win would be a major upset, the heart says I believe she has the skills and tools to win.

Sweep
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Methinks Makiri has every chance of upsetting the odds. If she catches Davenport off guard...who knows?

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
One last thing... just to put Makiri's first two matches in perspective, and so we can all smell the roses a bit before the Davenport match. Every one of the 32 seeded players came in with the same thoughts as Makiri, two unseeded players that I should beat and then see where the draw takes me from the 3rd round on. Get this 17 of the 32 seeds are OUT after the first two rounds, seeded players still playing are in the minority even before seeds start to play seeds. Here are the seeds that lost already and are out

5, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

Look at the range from 21-32, each and every seed in that range has been eliminated, except for one - good old #25, our Makiri. Lesson seems to be don't underestimate the importance of beating players you are supposed to beat. And Makiri has done so perfectly thus far in 2006.

King Aaron
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I hate to sound pessimistic but I don't think Maria can create an upset. We all know she struggles with the big hitters and Lindsay is one of the the best heavy hitters around. Her first two losses have come against heavy hitters (Bepa and Nadya) and now she plays Lindsay. Of course I'll be hoping Maria will put up a fight and surprise everyone but realisticly, those chances are rather slim. Hopefully Maria will play her best and surprise me. Good luck Masha. :kiss:

Maybe I'll be able to watch the match. :)

houseoflords
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Can Maria pull off an upset? Yes she can. Yes she has troubles with power players but anything can happen in tennis. Masha will have to play extremely well to have a chance. The odds are against her but you never know. Masha should just enjoy the moment, have fun and go for it. She has nothing to lose. Good luck Masha!!

Dementirilenko
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I am back again....great to see that Makiri has reached the third round - thriller against Davenport. They will play tomorrow early in the morning (German Time). I can't watch it I think, cuz its too early, but I hope that Makiri gets a chance. And I am sure she will get one. Lindsay had some troubles in her last match, so why not against Makiri too? Lets hope the best.....and lts than Walt for his great work on this forum!

Dementirilenko
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I am back again....great to see that Makiri has reached the third round - thriller against Davenport. They will play tomorrow early in the morning (German Time). I can't watch it I think, cuz its too early, but I hope that Makiri gets a chance. And I am sure she will get one. Lindsay had some troubles in her last match, so why not against Makiri too? Lets hope the best.....and lets thank Walt for his great work on this forum!

Langers
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Well I just got back from Melbourne, disappointed I couldn't stay for her third round match against Davenport. I think she needs all the support she can get.

Sorry for how late this reply is, but I’ll keep you informed of her progress. Her second round match was very interesting. She started slowly and her opponent raced out to a 5-2 lead, and she was really dominating the match. Maria finally found her rhythm and ended up destroying her in the tiebreak. Then came the second set and she was all over her, and took a commanding lead. Then she had about 2 match points on her opponents serve and she attempted to hit winners down the line, but couldn’t quite finish it. Then she served a few double faults when she had match points and got broken. Then came an injury time out, and when she came back she finally clinched the game on about her 6th or 7th match point.

I also went out to her doubles game yesterday, and I must say she and Dulko make a very impressive team. They are both extremely strong at net, have solid ground strokes, and seem to have very good teamwork. Based on yesterdays form, they could go a long way in the doubles.

I have plenty of pics, and I’ll post them as soon as I can.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Makiri's 3rd round match against Lindsay started at 1430 Melbourne time. Makiri serves first and immediately broken. But on Lindsay's serve Makiri battles back to duece and Lindsay DOUBLE FAULTS TWICE!! First set is 1-1. No bagel in the first set.... Third game, Makiri serving, goes to duece. Noting that Makiri's serves coming in around 90 mph while Lindsay is serving consistently over 100 mph. Makiri has ad. Back to duece. Funny thing, key game in the third game as the longer Makiri feels she is in the match the more her confidence will build. Makiri wins to ad. Makiri WINS!!! Makiri up 2-1. Last few serves from her around 100 mph. So one break each to open and then Makiri holds serve.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Game 4 Lindsay serving, goes up 30-0 but Makiri comes back to win the next two points for 30-30. LD wins on a Makiri forced error 40-30. LD double faults (3#) for duece, then forces another Makiri error (oh that power game) so ad in. Makiri unforced error and it is 2-2.

Summary, Makiri broken in game 1 at 30, now 3 duece games in a row. Makiri winning points (plural) in every game so far.

Game 5 Makiri serving - ue from LD followed by another Makiri forced error for 15-15. Another ue from LD (Makiri 102 mph serve!) but another Makiri forced error for 30 all. Hmmm, LD making unforced errors, Makiri making forced errors, wonder who the aggressor is here. Forehand winner for LD for 30-40. Makiri backhand forced error, broken again at 30. Makiri down 2-3 at the change-over.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Game 6 - LD serving, Makiri fe followed by LD winner, Makiri hits a winner for 30-15, Makiri ue, Makiri fe. LD holds at 15. Worst game of the match for Makiri, maybe LD starting to groove her serve as all that seemed to matter was what kind of error Makiri was going to make. LD up 42 with a break in hand.

Game 7 - Makiri serving, sure would be nice to get that third game win. Makiri winner, LD winner, LD fe. Makiri up 30-15. Ahhh, Makiri double faults but LD makes a ue, Makiri up 40-30. LD wins to duece, but 2 LD ue on the forehand give Makiri the game. Makiri down 3-4 going into the change-over. Still in rough shape for the set, down a game and a break, but getting to 3 games won feels good. Certainly not a blow out at this point.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Makiri just came on ESPN2 at 2200 Texas time so I am going to go watch... but Lindsay serving game 8 goes out to 30-0, Makiri playing defensively watches as LD makes two ues for 30 all, a Makiri fe followed by a LD winner and LD holds for 3-5 against Makiri.

Game 9, Makiri serving goes up 40-15 on an LD fe and then she throws up an ace! Holds at 15 and Makiri goes to the change-over down 4-5, down one service break. One gets the sense LD playing to win the set on her serve. Makiri needs a break when they come back. Win or lose, she has a shot at this first set.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Game 10 - one gets the sense LD playing to win the set on her serve. Three Makiri fe's followed by a double fault, then LD closes out the first set. Makiri loses 4-6.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Makiri serves to open the second set, she holds as does LD for 1-1. Makiri holds again going into the change-over for a 2-1 lead. When they come back Makiri breaks for a 3-1 lead and a break in hand! LD looking like a person who does not want to play a third set in the heat, turns up the power game in the 5th game and just pounds shot after shot and breaks back for a Makiri lead of 3-2 on serve into the change-over. Here we are mid second set and it is 46 32 and Makiri still has a shot to win the match. Just need to get to the 3rd set.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Game 6 second set, LD serving, goes to duece, Makiri wins to ad and a break point (how big would a 4-2 lead with a break in hand be), but LD powers up again and wins the next three points for 3-3. So close.

Game 7, Makiri serving and it goes to duece again. Makiri pounds a short LD return for a winner and then closes the game out when LD hits a shot into the net. Makiri up 4-3 going into the change-over. But, on serve. Note how all the games are going deep in points. Makiri is hanging right in there. But LD can take the pace and depth to higher levels when she needs it and Makiri has not had an answer for it.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Games 8 & 9 second set, LD holds at 15 and Makiri responds by holding at love! At the change over Makiri up 5-4 on serve. The ESPN2 announcers are saying way nice things about Makiri. "She is playing well enough today to beat almost any other player". 4 aces, 19 winners and only 10 ue's! He also said, she move so effortlessly, she is nice to watch. Beautiful woman, horrible dress (if that's what you would call it). Anyway, guess what, a Makiri break and we have ourselves a third set!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!!!! Makiri breaks at 15 and WINS THE SECOND SET 6-4. Going into the third set Makiri at 46 64! And it is hot, LD has been looking for shade after every point. Wow...

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Hmmm, long break between 2nd & 3rd sets (players given a 10 minute break due to the heat). ESPN2 has actually cut to another match. Stats after two sets. Match is 88 minutes long at this point and it is 97 degrees F (36C). Makiri 63% first serve percentage, winning 70% of those first serves - this has been her formula in 2006. 4 aces to 1 for LD. 3 double faults to 5 for LD. 20 winners! with only 13 ues. Points are 66-65 in favor of Makiri. Thirds set just started, Makiri serviing. Makiri takes the first two points, but then two LD winners ties it at 30. Two more for LD and she breaks in the first game at 30. From 30-0 up to losing at 30, Makiri down 0-1, down a break. Makiri loses game 2 at love - two fe's, an LD winner, and a Makiri ue. Makiri down 0-2. Makiri calls for an injury time out, an ankle issue.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Ohh no... Maria.. :sad:

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Luis you watching on ESPN2? Starting to slip away, Makiri broken at 15, down 0-3, down 2 breaks. Has only won one point in the last two games.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Yes... I am...... I changed to my small TV though, so now I can use the computer. Anyways, I belive that injury is just going to kick her out. Kirilenko needs an optimal state to beat the best player, whose standard even when playing horribly, is much higher than Maria's. This may be the end to her trip to the land down under. I hope to death that I am wrong!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:34 AM
She is gaingin heat again... while there is life there is hope Maria! Get aggressive!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Game 4, third set LD serving and she just powers to a hold at 15. Makiri serviing game 5 and gets down 15-40 but showing some toughness comes back and wins a duece game for a hold to 1-4. I feel sorry for Makiri, it is a woman playing a girl right now, LD just pounding the heck out of Makiri, has her pinned to the baseline, LD is running Makiri around. Makiri won the game but was on the defensive throughout. She did come to the net in this game, first I can recall since the match came on tv.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Ohh my Kriilenko broke back!!! 4-2 Davai!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Maria is being aggressive again. She is getting back!!!!

Kirilenko can, still get the upset!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
She lsot her concentration... and lost it right where it mattered the most... now she is down 5-2 with DAvneport serving for the match... Maria can still do a change. Let's see what happens. No matter what, her game against number 1 player in the world is admirable and she can be considerer already awinner> :)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Go figure, up 4-1 LD serving just goes into a major funk and gifts the sixth game to Makiri with a double fault and errors. Makiri down 2-4. But Makiri could not take advantage and got broken back in a long duece game, Makiri down 2-5. LD will serve for the match after the change over.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Three easy errors... very close to losing...

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:46 AM
That is it... :sad: She lost...

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I am happy on how the commentators taalked about her. They said that she with her game did deserve playing on the second week, and it is just a a big bag of very bad luck on the draw.

@m@nd@
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:49 AM
maria played really well today, if she didnt have to play lindsay in the 3r she would most likely still be alive in the 2nd week. anyways, maria rocks! keep up the good work :yeah:

Andy.
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Im hugely proud of Maria she played so well and this just shows what a great player she will be and already is she can hold her head up high.

houseoflords
Jan 20th, 2006, 05:57 AM
A great effort for Maria. She played very well. Lindsay was just a little too powerful in the end. I'm extremely proud of Masha and all Kirilenko fans should be. Great job Masha!!!

Langers
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:00 AM
I am depressed now, Maria is out of the singles. Terrible luck that she had to be in Davenport’s side of the draw, its very unlucky that some of the lower seeds don’t even have to face such tough opponents in the third round. I was so very proud of her performance today.

I had an awesome 4 days at the tennis, and I saw Maria a total of three times, twice in the singles and once in the doubles. She impressed me greatly, she is a player on the rise and her performance today was brilliant. She came out aggressive, went for her shots and never let Davenport take control.

In the matches I was privileged to see, I was so impressed. She is the nicest person, always signed autographs; she stayed out in the heat just to please the fans. She is always smiling and is just a great person. I’m glad she’s still in the doubles, it gives her more time to work on her ever improving game, and she gets to have some more good times with her good friend Dulko. Overall it was an extremely promising Australian Open, and she will only get better.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM
langers...don't be deppressed... there is no reason. She did outstanding. Open your eyes though for the French Open.

Langers
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:17 AM
langers...don't be deppressed... there is no reason. She did outstanding. Open your eyes though for the French Open.
I know, but after seeing her work so hard today and seeing her matches this week I just wish she could have won. Davenport is one of the players I just cannot stand, which makes the loss even tougher. But as I said, she had a great tournament, made good progress and will be much better from this tournament.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I know, but after seeing her work so hard today and seeing her matches this week I just wish she could have won. Davenport is one of the players I just cannot stand, which makes the loss even tougher. But as I said, she had a great tournament, made good progress and will be much better from this tournament.

Personally, I don't know how long you have following her, but I know her since she actually played amateurish tennis and being out of the top hundred. Darn it, I am so darn proud of her progress, and if you didn't notice, she almost accomplished kicking out Lindsay Davenport. Man, she is damn awesome!:D:worship:

Zoltan83
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
:sad: I couldn't watch her match :sad:

But it seems she did well against Lindsay even if she lost.

Keraj
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
7 or 8 MP`s needed against a girl who was never in TOP 100... I don`t expect miracles on Friday...

Now I feel so stupid for making that comment :rolleyes:
Well, miracle didn`t happen today but she played even match with L. Davenport and I must admit I didn`t expect that :o

One thing I will remember the most from this match... From the beginning to the end she really believed she can win! Looking at her body language and her eyes we saw a tennis player who believes in her self, and that wasn`t always the case last year when she played against top players. I hope she will stay positive and with a help of David Taylor (her new coach) she will reach second week of a grand slam this year:)

At the end of the second set Maria said she is ok , and didn`t wanted a 10 min. "heat break", she was in a good rhythm, but ok, it doesn`t matter now.

I can only say what you all mention already, I`m very proud of Masha and she should be proud of her self, she lost today but it may be a different story next time...

Langers
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Maria and Dulko play their second round doubles match tomorrow, and she also plays a mixed doubles game. Her partner is Igor Andreev and they are up against Ana Ivanovic and Novak Djokovic. Good luck Maria, I hope she's able to play on her sore foot/ankle while contending with the heat again :)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Picking up on what Luis said earlier Dick Enberg and Mary Carillo were the ESPN2 announcers for the Makiri match which they joined midway through the first set and kept as their prime match right to the end. Dick, an older chap, sounded like he fell in love with Makiri he could not say enough nice things about her. After it was over he said, "we certainly look forward to seeing you again at the next tournament". Mary being a woman and an ex-player kept her comments to tennis :lol: she said at one point that Makiri was playing well enough to beat just about any other player on the tour, just that she was playing #1. They talked about her "complete game" and Dick commented on how she moves so effortlessly and gracefully (she does). I notice how compared to Lindsay, Makiri was always bouncing and she takes those quick little baby steps when she moves, like after one step she is nearly immediately ready to react and take the next step. Mary noted that "believe it or not, Makiri has really bulked up from two years ago" (she has). Makiri garnered a lot of respect today. Lindsay was just able to up the power game in key spots, and gosh her backhand down the line winners against Makiri were done so effortlessly and consistently. I honestly thought Lindsay would fade in the heat during the 3rd set, but she didn't so credit to her for being in shape. Makiri didn't fade either, gosh she was still running down balls right to the end. Makiri is an awesome young lady.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Would have been sweet to beat Lindsday, but its another day, the sun came up and life goes on. On Saturday, 21 Jan (today in Melbourne) Team Dulkolenko back in action for 2nd round doubles against Adamczak/Horiatopoulos. They are the second match on court 19 (yep, one trip to the big stadium, lose to #1 and it is back to the lower 40), so maybe 1230 hours Melbourne time Makiri will be back on the court. Gisela lost in the 2nd round so both are out of singles. This is Makiri's only match today, looks like she will not begin Mixed until Sunday. Makiri will make the second week at the Australian Open, just in doubles... good deal, I am in no hurry to she her taking off for Tokyo (Toray Pacific the week after next).

Dementirilenko
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yiha, I was able to saw Makiri playing today. That was great, it was just the second or third time that I saw her playing and she did a great job. She did what we all wanted her to reach. She reached a third round match against Lindsay and she presented herself to the world as one of the most talented youngstars on Tour. She served very well, she returned very well...she played very good tennis. Ok, Lindsay became to strong in the third set, but this is normal for someone who plays this tourney for the thirteenth time, Makiri has played there just for the second time. She showed a great fighting spirit and my god, she looked wonderful in her new outfit!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
As you would expect, the Makiri Russian site is upbeat today, just as we are. One of the best posts from gama, "Masha already knows how to fight with the leaders and similarly soon he will begin to conquer them." Amen.

morningglory
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Good luck in doubles, Maria!
And btw, that Igor guy is 6 years or so older than her... :eek:

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Good luck in doubles, Maria!
And btw, that Igor guy is 6 years or so older than her... :eek:Morningglory - Makiri has her 19th birthday in five days (reminder everyone birthday is on 25 Jan) and Igor is currently 22 years old. Both Makiri and Igor born and raised in Moscow. That said Makiri played mixed with a 27 year old guy at the USO 2005 by the name of Graydon Oliver

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/bios/ms/atpo171.html

Thank goodness mixed doubles partners are usually not lovers! Could you imagine, here she comes the beautiful Mrs. Graydon Oliver, the thought could make you ill. My apologies to Graydon and all his fans.

houseoflords
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
All Masha fans should be upbeat. She has come a long way. I am with Duiz in being proud of how far she has come. I have been following her since her junior tennis days and Maria's game has improved drastically and continues to get better. Don't be depressed her sad about her loss. I'm always upset when she loses just because I hate losing and I want her to do well so badly. But I realize how far she has come and am happy to have the priledge of rooting for her. I think back to the end of 2004. Things weren't going very well for Masha and she was losing early in tournaments and her prospects weren't looking very good. But she kept working, changed coaches and got a little more aggressive going for shots instead of waiting for an opponents mistake. Now she has her own line of clothing with Adidas, a growing fanbase, and most importantly a ranking on the rise.

The best still lies ahead Kirilenko fans. Stay positive and keep on cheering

Dementirilenko
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
All Masha fans should be upbeat. She has come a long way. I am with Duiz in being proud of how far she has come. I have been following her since her junior tennis days and Maria's game has improved drastically and continues to get better. Don't be depressed her sad about her loss. I'm always upset when she loses just because I hate losing and I want her to do well so badly. But I realize how far she has come and am happy to have the priledge of rooting for her. I think back to the end of 2004. Things weren't going very well for Masha and she was losing early in tournaments and her prospects weren't looking very good. But she kept working, changed coaches and got a little more aggressive going for shots instead of waiting for an opponents mistake. Now she has her own line of clothing with Adidas, a growing fanbase, and most importantly a ranking on the rise.

I have to agree totally!

morningglory
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Morningglory - Makiri has her 19th birthday in five days (reminder everyone birthday is on 25 Jan) and Igor is currently 22 years old. Both Makiri and Igor born and raised in Moscow. That said Makiri played mixed with a 27 year old guy at the USO 2005 by the name of Graydon Oliver

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/bios/ms/atpo171.html

Thank goodness mixed doubles partners are usually not lovers! Could you imagine, here she comes the beautiful Mrs. Graydon Oliver, the thought could make you ill. My apologies to Graydon and all his fans.
oops? I thought Andreev was 23 and she 18.... oh well....
a good 'matchup' then :p :lol:
He's not that bad looking either... Makiri could do better, but he certainly is a decent choice :lol:

Andy.
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Those are reaslly nice words they really make me feel excited about Maria's future.

navyseals98
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
We all should be excited about Maria's future. She played a great match against the #1 player in the world. I think if she gets her confidence back up she has the talent and the ability to really go far in the upcoming tournaments. After she played so well against Davenport I would love to see a rematch of her and Vera. I think the results would be different. What do ya'll think?

ceciliaf92
Jan 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Well said houseoflords ;)
I think Graydon is gay BTW :lol: ;)
Good luck with Igor (great team!) have fun Masha :bounce:
The court will be so crowded lol :o

Langers
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM
Maria and Gisela just won their second round doubles match 6-3, 6-2. Well done Maria, I’m glad she still has some more good times left at the Aussie Open :yeah:

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:19 AM
Thanks, Daniel! The first set was at 3-3 and then Team Dulkolenko went to work winning 9 of the last 11 games. About an hour and twenty minutes match time, in the hot part of the day. Strange match statistics Team Dulkolenko had 0 aces, 3 double faults, 3 unforced errors, got 30 of 44 first serves in for 68% and won 70% of those first serves, only 1 winner. Get this the other team had ZERO unforced errors and 9 winners. Their opponent for the 3rd round not known yet, but likely to be Hantuchova/Sugiyama. If they get by that match looks like Raymond/Stosur in the 4th round. My guess is it will be Igor and Makiri in action tomorrow.

morningglory
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM
Andreev lost today btw.... on match point he just backed away from the baseline and didn't even bother to return the serve... what a loser.... just hope he doesn't pull that one if he plays with Maria... :fiery:

Langers
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:20 AM
Andreev lost today btw.... on match point he just backed away from the baseline and didn't even bother to return the serve... what a loser.... just hope he doesn't pull that one if he plays with Maria... :fiery:
I know, what the heck was he doing? He was at the back of the court and just watched it go straight past him. Very strange. I'm sure he will play mixed doubles though, who in their right mind would let Maria down? ;)

Dementirilenko
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM

Hehe, yeah this is right but we have to say that it was so extremely hot on court and Hrbaty lead with 40.0 and 5.4, there was no real chance for Igor, so he didn't try to return this serve.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Keeping up with her "one match a day" routine, Makiri gets Mixed Doubles as the 3rd match on the MCA court Sunday, 22 Jan (Melbourne time):
Igor Andreev (RUS)/Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
vs.
Novak Djokovic (SCG)/Ana Ivanovic (SCG)

Second match cannot begin earlier than 1300 so put Makiri on the court somewhere around 1430. ESPN2 coverage here in the US to start at 1400 Sunday (2100 hours Saturday night Texas time) so Makiri's match will be played while they are on air. With Andy R playing (the last American on the mens side, Blake lost badly yesterday) at the same time in Rod Laver Arena no doubt that will be the featured match. But with Makiri playing at MCA they may cut to that match briefly during the down times in the Roddick match.

BTW, as Team Dulkolenko's 3rd round match will not be any earlier than Monday, Makiri officially will play in the second week at a grand slam. Someday she will get there playing singles... my hope is in 2006!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
It is 1500 hours right now in Melbourne and not one match has been started on the outer courts (including MCA where Makiri was to play). So at least a 4 hour delay on all outer court matches. They are playing in the two arenas, and ESPN2 noted that the roof is closed on Rod Laver where Andy R is playing. Checking www.weather.com for Melbourne, they are reporting a toasty 106 degrees F/41C right now. Forecast is to "cool down" to 93F/34C by 1800 hours. And down to 59F/15C tonight. Looks like the heat wave then ends, high of only 80F/26.6C Monday and 78F/25.5C Tuesday. No doubt that the heat is a major factor in this year's Australian Open.

Andy.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:18 AM
Yeah the heat has been a major talking point im sure Makiri will get to play today if not tomorow.

Dementirilenko
Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
I think Makiri has lost o Lindz because of this heat in the third, she was too tired. Nevertheless, lets take the focus on the doubles and mixed - competition!

Andy.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
I re watched it today and i was hugely impressed i must say she has improved out of this world in one year she is really going to push for top 15 this year.

King Aaron
Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
I hate to sound pessimistic but I don't think Maria can create an upset. We all know she struggles with the big hitters and Lindsay is one of the the best heavy hitters around. Her first two losses have come against heavy hitters (Bepa and Nadya) and now she plays Lindsay. Of course I'll be hoping Maria will put up a fight and surprise everyone but realisticly, those chances are rather slim. Hopefully Maria will play her best and surprise me. Good luck Masha. :kiss:

Maybe I'll be able to watch the match. :)
Maria proved me wrong for sure. ;)

:D :yeah: Great match against Davenport. She really gave it her all. I'm happy that she was competitive throughout and wasn't blown away by Davenport's power. Hopefully she can build on this and continue to perform well against big hitters in the future. :)

King Aaron
Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Masha and Igor lost, 6-7(4) 6-2 7-6(4). :( :sad: Was hoping they would win.

morningglory
Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Andreev... :mad:

navyseals98
Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Andreev... :mad:

You really do not like andreev, do you?

Zoltan83
Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
But for the moment, the Dulkolenko team is still there :D

Andy.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Well thats good doubles is more important anyway

Ravsieg
Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:30 AM

I remember those 2004 times, after that display against Serena there was a huge hype around, and she played injured for a while that made her lose a lot, and then when she finally decided to take a rest she was well off the top 100 and found herself playing December challengers... I remember on how we agreed 2006 would be her year, and 2005 took us by surprise completely.

Eurosport is limited, and being Portuguese is even more. So I barely watch Maria play, but there's always a huge improvement every time I do. She played way better against Davenport than what she did when she won Beijing, which was better than the match against Venus. Her groundstokes keep getting deeper and harder, her net instinct is sharpened each time, her serve keeps getting better. Last year it was her weakness, this year it's a weapon. Things look positive. Now a tough period will start, as she has to defend good results before clay. QF at Doha, SF at Hyderabad, 4th Round at Indian Wells. But we all know she can perfectly surpass those.

SzavayFi
Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
This has been a great tourny for Maria :D She keeps this up and she will most definately find herself in the top 15 :) She and Gisela play Daniela and Ai tomorrow though. I dont want either of these doubles teams to lose :bigcry:

houseoflords
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure if anyone here caught this, but Maria has a new coach. His name is Taylor, Dave Taylor I think. Her dad was coaching her since the summer but wanted someone more experienced to help her out. I'm glad dad had enough sense and vision to know that to take the next step, someone else needs to guide her there.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
I noticed.. I wish Robert Lansdorp could join her.. as well as a good pedicure.. :p

SzavayFi
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure if anyone here caught this, but Maria has a new coach. His name is Taylor, Dave Taylor I think. Her dad was coaching her since the summer but wanted someone more experienced to help her out. I'm glad dad had enough sense and vision to know that to take the next step, someone else needs to guide her there.
Yea I noticed that too :) :yeah: It was a very wise desision on her part :yeah:

The dubs match is about to start :dance:

SzavayFi
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
I noticed.. I wish Robert Lansdorp could join her.. as well as a good pedicure.. :p
Yea her toes look like mine :p But hey, thats what happens when you play tennis :shrug:

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Excellent result, Kirilenko and Dulko won 6-1, 6-1 in about an hour. They are now through to the Quarter-Finals where they will meet the top seeds Raymond/Stosur, what is it with Maria and playing the top seeds? :( She continues her excellent Australian Open, well done Maria :yeah:

houseoflords
Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Excellent result for Masha & Gisela. I thought they'd win but not that easily. They played Raymond & Stosur in the final of New Haven and lost in 3 sets. Hopefully, we'll have a different result this time. Good luck Masha & Gisela!!!

Andy.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:33 AM

He is Alicia Molik's Coach or ex coach for now at least he has done wonders for alicia he can do the same for Maria

Keraj
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
Excellent result, Kirilenko and Dulko won 6-1, 6-1 in about an hour.

Yup :) I saw the match point... ended with a beautiful stop volley from Masha :yeah:

Last year I saw a couple of her doubles matches and for me, she is already one of the best doubles players in the world, I think Dulkolenko Team can win a Grand Slam title this year, it wouldn`t suprise me at all :)

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Team Dulkolenko up again on Tuesday (24 Jan), third match on MCA, as usual first match at 1100, will see Makiri on court 1400-1500 range:
Women's Doubles - Qtr. Finals
Lisa Raymond (USA)[1]/Samantha Stosur (AUS)[1]
vs.
Gisela Dulko (ARG)[10]/Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[10]

As Daniel noted, Makir gets the distinction of having to play #1 in singles and doubles, at least she got to the quarters in doubles before doing so. Sam lost to Hingis last night. BTW in singles on both w/m sides only 1 American left (Lindsay) and 3 Swisspersons. Shows the sad state of American tennis right now.

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
BTW in singles on both w/m sides only 1 American left (Lindsay) and 3 Swisspersons. Shows the sad state of American tennis right now.
To expand on that, how much interest is in American tennis right now as far as the general public is concerned? I remember the period when you had Sampras, Agassi, Martin, Courier all dominating the ATP, and Seles, Davenport, and even Capriati all enjoying success on the WTA tour. You were the envy of every nation, but there are others who have now overtaken you. I was wondering whether the public takes much interest in tennis, because everyone I seem to speak to in the US barely even watch a match. It's disappointing.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
To expand on that, how much interest is in American tennis right now as far as the general public is concerned?Would be interested to hear what House and Cat think, but here is my opinion (and it is opinion only). ESPN2 had shown like 74 hours of coverage of the Australian Open in the first week, originally only 50 hours or so were scheduled. So they are increasing their coverage by quite a bit. ESPN is very ratings-centric so they must be getting good numbers to add that much coverage. The USO is always setting new attendance records and is a very hot ticket. And we have two tennis courts in our development, on a weekend afternoon you have to wait to play, ditto for the dozen or so courts at the high school when they are open to the public. Our little suburban town of 20,000 has its own "tennis center" and I will play in a league this spring at the Southlake Tennis Center. There must be at least 30 tennis courts available in our little town. Most high schools in our area have tennis teams. And tennis at the university level is also very strong., So from a grass roots and fan perspective I think tennis is doing great. That said, if you are a little girl growing up in most American suburbs there are so many choices as to extra-curricular activities most high schools will have teams for girls: basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis, golf, swimming, cross country, girls even play ice hockey at our high school, then there is marching band, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc. Could be that the atheletic talent on the woman's side is just spread over a larger number of options. Looking at the top 10 American women in the last WTA Rankings - 5 of the top 10 will be 30 years old or older in 2006 (Lindsay turns 30 this year), 4 will turn between 25-29 and even #89 in the world Jamea Jackson will turn 20 in 2006. Looking for someone like Makiri in the American ranks (a teenager with top 20 potential in the near term), can't find a single one.

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Would be interested to hear what House and Cat think, but here is my opinion (and it is opinion only). ESPN2 had shown like 74 hours of coverage of the Australian Open in the first week, originally only 50 hours or so were scheduled. So they are increasing their coverage by quite a bit. ESPN is very ratings-centric so they must be getting good numbers to add that much coverage. The USO is always setting new attendance records and is a very hot ticket. And we have two tennis courts in our development, on a weekend afternoon you have to wait to play, ditto for the dozen or so courts at the high school when they are open to the public. Our little suburban town of 20,000 has its own "tennis center" and I will play in a league this spring at the Southlake Tennis Center. There must be at least 30 tennis courts available in our little town. Most high schools in our area have tennis teams. And tennis at the university level is also very strong., So from a grass roots and fan perspective I think tennis is doing great. That said, if you are a little girl growing up in most American suburbs there are so many choices as to extra-curricular activities most high schools will have teams for girls: basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, tennis, golf, swimming, cross country, girls even play ice hockey at our high school, then there is marching band, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc. Could be that the atheletic talent on the woman's side is just spread over a larger number of options. Looking at the top 10 American women in the last WTA Rankings - 5 of the top 10 will be 30 years old or older in 2006 (Lindsay turns 30 this year), 4 will turn between 25-29 and even #89 in the world Jamea Jackson will turn 20 in 2006. Looking for someone like Makiri in the American ranks (a teenager with top 20 potential in the near term), can't find a single one.
Thanks for that Walt. Well that’s interesting to hear about ESPN and their decision to raise the amount of coverage. I noticed that while I was at the Aussie Open, ESPN had their own little ‘tent’ where they had some reporters and what not. It was pleasing to see that they were at least interested enough to go down under to cover it.

I’m glad that your suburban town is taking steps to boost tennis, such as the development of new courts. It’s always important that if people want to have a hit, they can. You need to get people interested in tennis from a young age, and it sounds as though this is happening.

So not many current American teenagers on the verge of being champions? This is the case in Australia. It’s frightening to think about how low our stocks are, Molik and Stosur are in the top 100, and then we have Pratt at 127. Very disappointing...

houseoflords
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Tennis in America has different levels. There are places where it is more popular than others, places where a lot of people do it. Other places, it is a class thing. Where I live currently in Pennsylvania, it is mainly a rich kid thing. Many kids believe it is too expensive and spend their efforts on other sports like soccer, basketball, football and baseball. Part of the reason for this is, in the winter there is no public place to play tennis in the winter. The Tennis & Racquet Clubs have very high membership fees. More public tennis centers are needed and more efforts need to made to draw kids to the game.

As for the interest in the pro tours, it varies. Many of my friends are tennis fans, but then again I've met many of them while working the US Open the past six years. There are a lot people who only know a few players and if they aren't playing, they don't watch. Basically, many tennis fans in America are casual tennis fans. ESPN2 has aired more tennis at the Australian Open so far this year which is good. More coverage is a good thing, but the American broadcasters really need to stop the total American bias.

As for players, right now the future of American tennis isn't that bright. KirilenkoRulz is right when he says that there really isn't any young player with top 20 potential. Alexa Glatch made it to the US Open junior girls final last year, but I don't see a lot of room for growth i her game. None of the other juniors have made much of a dent. I know junior tennis success isn't necesarrily an indicator of success as a pro, but most successful pros were at least in contention as a junior. I always watch the junior girls tournament at the US Open and I see a lot of potential future Top 20 players from Europe. But there aren't any players like Viki Azarenka, Agnes Szavay, Michaella Krajicek, Dominika Cibulkova, Tamira Paszek in the American ranks.

Dementirilenko
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Great to hear that Makiri and Gisela reached the fourth round at Melbourne in the doubles - competition with this really strong 6.1, 6.1 victory over Hantuchova/Sugyiama. I didn't expect such a clear result. It will give our darling a lot of confidence, cause now she defiently has a great start into the new season, after reaching the singles third round and after playing a great match against Davenport. Let's see how far Dulkolenko will bring it in Doubles.

SzavayFi
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Wow a demolition over Dani and Sugiyama :eek: Weldone girls :yeah: I hope Danis leg isnt still bothering her though :sad:

Zoltan83
Jan 24th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Amazing victory! I didn't expect this result :D :banana:

Vamaï Dulkolenko! You've nothing to lose in the next round!!

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hmmm, sure everyone has seen this but just to be complete

Lisa Raymond USA (1)
Samantha Stosur AUS (1) 6 6

Gisela Dulko ARG (10)
Maria Kirilenko RUS (10) 3 2

It was like 2-2 in the first set when Lisa and Sam pulled away. The second set was never a contest. So Makiri officially done with the Australian Open 2006 -
Singles 2 wins - 1 loss (the loss to the #1 seed)
Doubles 3 wins - 1 loss (the loss to the #1 seed)
Mixed 0 wins - 1 loss (hmmm, don't know about that guy Igor)
Over all a 5-3 record. Played 8 matches over 9 days, never more than one match in any day. As best I can tell Makiri will move up to #24 in the WTA Singles Rankings when they are released on 30 Jan. I saw someone on the Russian site calculates Makiri to move up to #23, either way she will hit her new high ranking ever in singles.

Keraj
Jan 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Mixed 0 wins - 1 loss (hmmm, don't know about that guy Igor)

:lol:
don`t be harsh on Igor... poor guy probably couldn`t concentrate on the match, especially if Masha played in the same outfit as in doubles ;) :lol:

BTW, my mother heard on Eurosport that there was some Miss of the Tournament election:
TOP 3:
1.Ivanobich
2.Kirilenko
3.Domachowska

NO COMMENT :o

Langers
Jan 24th, 2006, 03:58 PM
don`t be harsh on Igor... poor guy probably couldn`t concentrate on the match, especially if Masha played in the same outfit as in doubles ;) :lol:
Oh no poor Igor, what a problem he had to face! :rolleyes: :lol:

Ravsieg
Jan 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
:lol:

BTW, my mother heard on Eurosport that there was some Miss of the Tournament election:
TOP 3:
1.Ivanobich
2.Kirilenko
3.Domachowska

NO COMMENT :o

Whereas I cannot see on what area Ivanovic is pretty, that was expected due to her popularity and hype.

KirilenkoRulz
Jan 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
:lol: don`t be harsh on Igor... poor guy probably couldn`t concentrate on the match, especially if Masha played in the same outfit as in doubles ;) :lol: Now that you mention it, Makiri went out in the first round in mixed at the USO 2005 playing with Graydon Oliver, a trend starting. But you think Makiri's partner would play the match of his life to get to play again with her in a second round match.

Zoltan83
Jan 24th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Good tournament (except mixed doubles :p) for her! :D

King Aaron
Jan 24th, 2006, 08:12 PM
:( :sad: @ the doubles loss but good tournament overall.

Masha needs to get a good mixed partner. ;)

Keraj
Jan 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I would love to see Masha playing with Max Mirnyi, I like his style of play, so aggressive, plus he speaks Russian... so, a perfect pair :)

Dementirilenko
Jan 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I would love to see Masha playing with Max Mirnyi, I like his style of play, so aggressive, plus he speaks Russian... so, a perfect pair :)

Sounds good to me!

Keraj
Jan 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Some stats from AO official site:

Masha, 9 on the double fault leaders list :(

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/extrastats/double_ws.html

but also 16 on ace leaders list :)

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/extrastats/aces_ws.html

Dementirilenko
Feb 1st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Well now, let me shortly sum up what we have learned from this tourney at Melbourne. First of all I wanna thank all the Fans of Makiri that you all don't put o much pressure on her shoulders. This is very important. Before the AO started we all wanted her to reach the third round. This was definetly the right way, we should make small steps, and for shure Makiri should make small steps as well. It was just her ninth Slam and what she achieved at Melbourne is something very important for her career, because she has made a great experience by playing the world #1 Lindz Davenport at Rod Laver Arena, and millions of people around the world where watching her and they all saw her great talent. Makiri lost in three sets, in the end she was a bit too tired, but the whole match showed that she is able to compete with the world's greatest players.
Well, at the beginning of her career, Makiri walked on a small road. Now this road became bigger and if she is able to walk this road to the end, she will be on top in a few years.