PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the WTA??

Chriskip
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
It has been reported by several reputable sources that Sesil has been banned, yet the WTA has nothing of it on their site. Its no wonder there are a number of persons, even on here, who believe that the WTA will go to any extent to hide the use of performance enhancing substances by its players, preferring instead to "deal with it" behind the scenes. This is very reminiscent of the United States Athletic bodies who hid the use of drugs by so many of their top athletes for years only to have it slowly come to light years after they are either fading, retired or even dead. It will come out eventually and the WTA will seem the "FOOLS" for it. There have been rumors that some of the extended breaks taken by some players has been the WTA's way of "dealing with the problem". I have wondered about this, but I am beginning to think it may be true.

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The WTA love to live in their very own bubble world. Sure it is an association about sports but more importantly itīs a marketing entertainment company which wants to appear as clean as possible in the public. There are hardly any other sports associations which try so hard. Embaressing that they didnīt even mention Sesilīs case...if you donīt see it, nothing has happened...

azmad_88
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM
2006 WTA..Website sux...new ranking systems gonna sux.....they might get worse i think.... but i thank WTA for tennis though..

Erika_Angel
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't expect them to post an article about a player getting banned on the WTA website.
Maybe the ITF website, but not the WTA website.

Helen Lawson
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
It's bad press. They can either ignore it (as they seem to be doing) or make an example out of her to deter others and show they're a "clean" organization which doesn't tolerate booze and dope. I honestly don't think they care if the women are walking drugstores as long as they show up to lots of tournaments!

Shonami Slam
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
because it is not thier responsibility.
it's the ITF's - and they have posted an announcment about it, just as they did for peurta.
the wta doesn't run the tests, the wta doesn't investigate - that's what the ITF is for.
the ITF also get the grand slams and fed cup though.

joz
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't expect them to post an article about a player getting banned on the WTA website.
Maybe the ITF website, but not the WTA website.

I wouldn't expect WTA to address it either. The association always trys to gloss over things that make players, not necessarily the tour, look bad... But they SHOULD speak up and post an article!!!

WTA wants the media to turn to it for information, to promote its tournaments and to promote its stars beyond belief. It is bad bad business to not deal with the "bad" issues, "head-on" too. WTA is setting itself up to be considered a questionable source for information. It makes WTA look like a source that will hide certain information and distort other information to the media, to protect its reputation. And eventually the media will turn away. In this case there are so many reports about Sesil... that to not address it at all makes the association seem like it, endorses it, doesn't care, or doesn't think it's a big deal. I understand that she is a "member player", and WTA has some obligation to her too, but there are ways to address it and still support Sesil.

At the least,WTA and the players association are missing an opportunity to reinforce what its policy is... or to make a statement that says we will not stand for this either, or to discuss what education is currently in place to help young players stay clear of such doping.

WTA needs players to be stars for the tour to survive. Part of being a star is to be a role model. There is no "role modeling" in hiding or avoiding issues that directly reflect and involve your profession and those in it.

I suspect we will see a handful of players openly answer questions from the media on this subject in the next few weeks.

I also suspect there are other players that know performance enhancing drugs are being used... but they accept it as part of sport.

manu32
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM
wta never had a clean attitude about doping.....they loose a lot of sponsors .....
and karatancheva is not a star .....cf her game and her speech....so they missed a great opportunity to be credible........

joz
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=manu32]
and karatancheva is not a star .....QUOTE]

Maybe not in my country...but she sure is a star in Bulgaria... and I bet there are WTA fans in Bulgaria.