PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova's injury not pec muscle but dislocated rib

ceiling_fan
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5241200?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199
-i can't believe she only found out until now-
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Now that Maria Sharapova knows what is wrong with her sore right shoulder, she's confident she can play through the pain at next week's Australian Open.

Sharapova, who won her first Grand Slam title at age 17 in 2004 and rose to No. 1 in the rankings for two short periods last year, traveled to Melbourne unsure if she'd be fit enough to play in the season's first major.
After months of pain, the Russian star said doctors had identified that her problem stemmed from a dislocated rib, not a pectoral muscle problem.

"It's not 100 percent. I wouldn't say it's at the top level. But at least I know the cause of the problem," Sharapova said Thursday. "The good thing is, the doctors have told me it can't get any worse.

"As long as I know I can't hurt it any more, I'm going to have to suck it up and do the best I can."

Sharapova became the darling of the WTA Tour after her breakthrough win at Wimbledon, as much for her model looks as for her tennis.

The Florida-based Sharapova, speaking at a pink-themed sponsor's event at a swanky downtown hotel, said she's determined to be more than a one Grand Slam wonder.

Sharapova was the only woman to make the semifinals at three of the four majors last season and went down to the eventual champion at all four Grand Slam events.

She wants to go one better at least once in 2006.

Provided second-ranked Kim Clijsters overcomes a hip problem she sustained in Sydney on Wednesday, all of the top 10 women and defending champion Serena Williams will be in the draw at Melbourne Park for the first time in many years.

Asked who the favorite should be, Sharapova said she didn't want to give her rivals a boost by nominating anyone.

"If you want my confidence to be up, I have to say myself," she said.

She'll be coming off a low-key buildup, playing only five events in the latter part of last season.

"I think I need a few matches to prepare," she said. "I'm not going to be playing my best in the first round, but I'm sure gradually as I go, I'm sure my form will come back to normal."

Sharapova lost to Serena Williams in the Australian Open semifinals last year despite serving for the match in the second and third sets.

DomenicDemaria
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
She said today on the news that she would play with the pain.

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Can you have a surgery on that?

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM
go sharapova i hope shes in lindsays half so that she can meet clijsters in the final

Andy.
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM
In a way this is good news now that we know what the problem is things can be done to treat it and make sure she fully recovers from it.

Maria Croft
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah it's good news

But also scary that she has to play with the pain, who knows how long it takes before something like this is healed!?

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I was really interested so I looked it up: http://www.mdadvice.com/library/sport/sport170.html

DEFINITION--Injury and displacement of a rib where it joins the sternum (breastbone) or spinal column. DISLOCATION means the rib and adjoining bones no longer touch each other. SUBLUXATION is a minor dislocation in which the joint surfaces still touch, but not in normal relation to each other.

(...)

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS
--------------------
AT THE TIME OF INJURY:

Shock.
Pressure or damage to nearby nerves, ligaments, tendons, muscles, blood vessels or connective tissue.
Injury to the underlying lung. AFTER TREATMENT OR SURGERY:
Excessive internal bleeding.
Impaired blood supply to the dislocated area.
Death of bone cells due to interruption of the blood supply.
Infection introduced during surgical treatment.
Continuing dislocations, often with progressively less provocation.
Prolonged healing if activity is resumed too soon.
Unstable or arthritic rib joints following repeated injury.

Ewwww....that must hurt.

Sam L
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Go Maria!

franny
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Very brave of her to play with a dislocated rib. My respect for her goes up even more. She probably won't win with this injury, but just the fact that she is willing to play with the pain is an admirable thing. However, I wish her the best and hope she does not further hurt herself.

Dan23
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Yea its a tough injury to play with but Maria should get more confidence in it from the knowledge that it shouldnt get any worse. More time is needed between tournaments after the AO to help it gradually heal without overplaying it.

Porcupine
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
YAY :woohoo:

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Go Maria ! :bounce:
She will overcome all serious difficulties ;)

Prizeidiot
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM
A dislocated rib sounds a heck of a lot worse than a pec injury.

It will be murder when she serves. I know it can't get any worse, but it won't get any better if she plays. Maybe she should withdraw.

tennisrox
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Disolcated rib?I don't know what she's getting so excited about,because a dislocated rib is a Hell of a lot worse than a Pectoral injury.

Bloody hell,what were her physiotherapists doing all this time?? :rolleyes:

And how the hell are they allowing her to play with this injury?Its bloody crazy!

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Ouch. :(

LadyLil
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Disolcated rib?I don't know what she's getting so excited about,because a dislocated rib is a Hell of a lot worse than a Pectoral injury.

Bloody hell,what were her physiotherapists doing all this time?? :rolleyes:

And how the hell are they allowing her to play with this injury?Its bloody crazy!

Please. If the woman had a dislocated rib she would not have been playing. The pain is horrendous from any rib injury. It hurts to breathe and to move. Give me a break here. :rolleyes:

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
she's gonna play with a dislocated rib?
i don't think that's brave, i think that's kinda crazy
is it worth the pain? :(

Helen Lawson
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Jess dislocated one of my ribs once, it's easy to get over. I burned his cornea with a lit cigarette in the same fight. I call it a draw.

Billabong
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Reading this article, I feel like the injury has been healing for some time now, it's just not 100% yet, but the pain is not as strong as it was, so she can play. That's the way I understood it:confused:!

Lachrymarum
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Jess dislocated one of my ribs once, it's easy to get over. I burned his cornea with a lit cigarette in the same fight. I call it a draw.
:scared: :p
Anywho....all the best to Maria!

Portobello
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Ooh i dont know i shud be happy or sorry about it :o

jacobruiz
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I don't know why they're so sure this injury can't get any worse, with the amount of stress Maria's tennis game puts on it. Before she would stop putting so much pressure on it when the pain got too bad; now she's just going to go full blast?

Seems to me the injury should be allowed to fully heal.

But anyway - I sure hope she does well in the AO.

azmad_88
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Very brave of her to play with a dislocated rib. My respect for her goes up even more. She probably won't win with this injury, but just the fact that she is willing to play with the pain is an admirable thing. However, I wish her the best and hope she does not further hurt herself.

yeah..me too..i really respect what she is trying to do..
i mean..a dislocated rib...thats huge..shes willing to risk it...but she did got doc's advice..it wont be any worse..so i think she'll be fine

Infiniti2001
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Is it wise to play with this injury? Oh well:shrug: , meanwhile xan insisted it was her growth spurt :lol:

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM
we've already come to the conclusion that xan knows shit about shit :p

Knizzle
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I guess that throws the growth spurt theory out the window.

Kart
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I don't understand how she can play with a dislocated rib.

More importantly, is she planning to relocate it ?

alfonsojose
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry, Maria, but if promoting perfumes and playing exos in Japan is more important than your health .. :shrug: I mean, Roddick complains and he plays exos like crazy too. Nadal was a money whore playing small tournaments in asia and every little clay tournament last year. WTF are they thinking :smash: :mad: ?

random fan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
well if took so long for her medics to find out that dislocation it should be really small or they are plain stupid

Mudbone
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thats just too funny....I don't know about you all...But where i am from(the planet earth) a mere mortal can play tennis with a dislocated rib...That condition has to be treated immediately...The pain is acute and extreme...Moving around in athletic competition would likely puncture a lung or other organs....That story is just too bizarre to be believed....

Natasc
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
probably the dislocated rib is getting better right now
and she would not suffer as she was

if Doctors said that couldnt get any worse, yeah, she's brave ;)

Derek.
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
More importantly, is she planning to relocate it ?

That's what I want to know. :unsure:

Wsisters45
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Wow :eek: Poor Maria :sad: I guess this just proves how badly she wants to win. :) But is it really worth it? By the looks of it, she'll be worse than she was against the match against Ameli at the YEC. I hope not,I want all the top players healthy,although that probably will never happen :sad:

I hope Maria is fine and playing well come next week :)

lindsayno1
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM
random injury!

kosmikgroove
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Poor Sharapova! :(

I wonder if this is what it takes for Larry Scott & the WTA to finally look into a longer off-season. Their main starlette is injured and could potentially miss a big portion of the season. goodbye sponsers!

Denise4925
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Ouch. When she' serving or when she's out of breath from running her chest is going to hurt like the dickens.

Veenut
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Is it wise to play with this injury? Oh well:shrug: , meanwhile xan insisted it was her growth spurt :lol:

:haha: I guess the growth spurt was so powerful, it dislocated her rib. :lol:
It just amazing the shit people try to spew and what is even more mind blowing are the sheep that just follow the trail. :o

WTAworld.com Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Infiniti2001 again.

Denise4925
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
:haha: I guess the growth spurt was so powerful, it dislocated her rib. :lol:
It just amazing the shit people try to spew and what is even more mind blowing are the sheep that just follow the trail. :o

WTAworld.com Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Infiniti2001 again.
:haha:

Mercredi
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I think it is more of a SUBLUXATION of the rib and not a dislocation, otherwise she can not play.

lindsayno1
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
im thinking. ive disclocated my knee before. Youd KNOW about it if you had a dislocation. Either it would be puncturing your lung or sticking out of your chest!

xan
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 PM
we've already come to the conclusion that xan knows shit about shit :p
Speak for yourself. :retard:

You and some other idiots just love shooting your mouths off about things you know absolutely nothing about!

If Marias injury had been a pec strain, then her two inch growth spurt would have been a major factor. She said so herself. It may well have been a factor in this rib injury.

And obviously the injury is a minor dislocation - since she's been playing with it on and off since at least the summer, probably for a whole year.

The amazing thing is that Maria has got to No 1 in the world while carrying this injury. Hopefully the injury will not adversely affect Maria in Melbourne, and she will get it sorted out properly asap.