PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open's new glamour slammer - Has tennis found the new Kournikova?

Dasha_
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM
By Sam Edmund

She's tall, quickly becoming tennis's new pin-up and her name's almost the same -- Ana, not Anna.

Also, like Kournikova, 18-year-old Ana Ivanovic's glamorous appearance has heads turning and experts salivating over her marketability.

Fans can take an animated journey through "Ana's world" and check out her modelling shots on www.anaivanovic.com.

Ivanovic has earned more than $530,000 in her 2 1/2 years as a professional, but modelling work, sponsorship and endorsement deals should see that skyrocket.

But that's where the similarities end. This striking brunette from Serbia and Montenegro, is not only turning fans heads -- she is also blasting serves past opponents.

When the Australian Open starts next week, she is expected to slam down the fastest serve on the women's tour.

She has soared more than 700 world rankings since early 2004 and is ranked 21 after beating Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo, ranked third, in the Sydney International on Tuesday.

RMIT marketing lecturer Con Stavros said Ivanovic was a marketing dream.
"She hasn't broken into the multi-million dollar deals yet, I wouldn't think," he said.

"But if she can get into the top 10 or top five and win some titles, that's when she can get $3 million to $4 million in endorsements, let alone prize money."

The daughter of a lawyer and an economist, Ivanovic started playing tennis at five after watching it on television and begging her parents to take her to a local tennis school.

"In the beginning it was very strange to have all this attention, but after a while you get used to it and you realise it's a part of doing the job that you do," Ivanovic said this week.

She is based in the Swiss city of Basel, but we can nearly claim her as our own.

The sexy star regularly visits her family in Melbourne.

Ivanovic is expected to arrive in Melbourne today after her Sydney International charge was ended by Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova yesterday.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
:inlove:

tennisjam
she is striking indeed :drool: ...but she needs to lose few pounds... :angel:

Hingie
She is stunning - but i don't think tennis will ever get another Anna Kournikova!

Dasha_
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:32 AM
She is stunning - but i don't think tennis will ever get another Anna Kournikova!

I agree. She really is very beautiful girl. Too bad that she doesn't play pro tennis any more...

But, IMO, Ana is a totally different type then Kournikova, and I believe that could be her advantage over the other girls…

SloKid
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Ana :hearts:

Cool thing is that she is selling autographed cards on her website...:yeah: :lol:

Erdinger
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
As far as I know she's also a very tall girl, about 183 cm :eek: I have a faible for tall girls! ;)

But she is certainly on the heavy side, although gorgeous! :cool:

Madhuri
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I like how no one mentions male athlete's looks in relation to the amount of endorsements they deserve-- it's all about talent. This article highlights the inequities in how people view female athlete's versus male athlete's.

Why is the media so obsessed with finding a new Kournikova for women's tennis? Every moderately attractive player who comes out gets hyped up this way.The media should be writing about girls who are actually winning titles.

Hingie
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. I saw her compete in Sydney and the girl does not have a weight issue! The bod is very hot in fact!

©@®eLess
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM
She is based in the Swiss city of Basel, but we can nearly claim her as our own.
The sexy star regularly visits her family in Melbourne.

Ivanovic is expected to arrive in Melbourne today after her Sydney International charge was ended by Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova yesterday.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, just in reallity they'll never have her!

All she has is SCG!!!!

switz
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
she's a naturally beautiful girl but it's stupid to make a kournikova comparison because they have totally different looks and would appeal IMO to very different people. i don't see boys around the world lusting after Ana like they did Anna

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I think it´s pretty funny how every country sees Ivanovic as one of her own...Serbia for sure but also Australia and Switzerland, lol.

As a straight girl, I gotta say that Ana looks great just the way she is. Some people call her a bit overweight but first of all the camera adds 10 pounds (it´s a rule!) and second of all I´d rather see girls of her very normal size running around on tv shows and glamour-mags or whatever than those skinny women where every single bone is visible even under the clothes.

Really curious to see how well she can do this year;)

Dasha_
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I think it´s pretty funny how every country sees Ivanovic as one of her own...Serbia for sure but also Australia and Switzerland, lol.

Funny or not, Ana is Serbian!!!!

©@®eLess
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Funny or not, Ana is Serbian!!!!

they hope for Seles part no.2, but this is no series show! They won't get it!

Switzerland did however get a series show: Vavrinec,Hingis,Mikaelian, Bascinsky,Wawrinka, Gagliardi...Someone should tell them international series show were finished few years ago. Some of those episodes were succesful, some not, some keep rolling on. But they don't plan the new ones! :lol:

keep dreamin swiss folks :lol: or just wake up :lol: and turn the TV off :lol:

Shonami Slam
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I like how no one mentions male athlete's looks in relation to the amount of endorsements they deserve-- it's all about talent. This article highlights the inequities in how people view female athlete's versus male athlete's.

Why is the media so obsessed with finding a new Kournikova for women's tennis? Every moderately attractive player who comes out gets hyped up this way.The media should be writing about girls who are actually winning titles.

well - there is ONE guy that makes the world drool
Gasquet is mouth-watering and the press is so loving him for that.
he's just :hearts: :drool: :angel:
I mean - big deal, he beat Federer - evryone is just trying to get in his pants :tape: :lol:

Lucy
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
oh god! i hope the media doesn't make her the 'new kournikova'.. i'm starting to like her, i don't want her to be running around with different men.

goldenlox
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I don't see any comparison with Anna and Ana

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/miamiherald/living/13588467.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_living

Caught making out by the soundboard at the Billy Joel concert Saturday night: Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias. Kournikova was then spotted at the brand new Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman, whose grand opening over the weekend featured a motley slew of celebs including Oscar-winner Marcia Gay Harden, Al Roker, Adrian Grenier of Entourage, Chloe Sevigny, former AOL honcho Steve Case, Billy Baldwin and wife Chynna Phillips, Law & Order SVU star Chris Meloni, Tony Bennett and Sheryl Crow, sans fiancé Lance Armstrong.

Meesh
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM

It's sad but true and I don't see it changing. Sex sells with womens sports.

Why is the media so obsessed with finding a new Kournikova for women's tennis?

because they lack intelligence to find a better story.

Who represents Ana??

matthias
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
i hope Ana will become famous for her tennis and not for her look

Danči Dementia
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Yeah I share opinion with you but I honestly believe she still has to pulish her game I mean the way she plays rigth now its good but she will be getting better and better trough years.

FOXYLICIOUS I love your avatar Cate Blanchett :worship:

TheTrash
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
The new Kournikova? No

ezekiel
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I read this before coming here. There is no need to compare her to AK with all of her baggage. I thought it was a little overzealous journalism. Ana is quiet unique in her style and looks so she will be her own person

http://img133.imagevenue.com/initial/loc24/6ef8f_Ana_Zurich_04.jpg http://www.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Jan/11/BqQmDZziGaq3P.jpg http://www.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Jan/11/2Bio5YQ0SEWZHG.jpg

switz
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Australians aren't claiming Ana as their own - a couple of journalists are :rolleyes: stop being so sensitive.

Zauber
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM
she is very attractive but there are quite a few top 50 tennis players that are just as good or better looking.
oh well just a matter of taste I guess.
lets try to concentrate on tennis.

doujyr
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:07 PM
You are having a laugh aren't you? She's HUGE! Makes Lindsay look petite. :eek:

ezekiel
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
You are having a laugh aren't you? She's HUGE! Makes Lindsay look petite. :eek:

she only makes Amelie looks petite as that's the only one we have pictures of :angel:

http://img129.imagevenue.com/loc24/th_b0e48_ana_sydney_03.jpg (http://img129.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=b0e48_ana_sydney_03.jpg)

tommyk75
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I like Ana, but her team is pushing the cheesecake factor a bit too hard. I mean, check out the animation on her website. Posing topless with her hands over her boobs and having captions like "Her cosmopolitan style embraces life" (or something close to that). I mean, come on, it's just way too cheesy.

And her journal entries seem to have been ghostwritten by some PR person a lot of the times.