PDA

View Full Version : Up until now Martina Hingis is the one who has..

spencercarlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Taken the most games against Henin Hardene @Sydney 2006.. Impressive.. especially for the ones that trash talked abput Hingis performance. :worship: Martina.
Justine will win the whole thing :eek:

alwayshingis
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Especially looking at the video of the match, Martina played well. Justine just seems to be back to her old self. With Clijsters questionable, Justine has to be among the top couple AO favourites.

spencercarlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Especially looking at the video of the match, Martina played well. Justine just seems to be back to her old self. With Clijsters questionable, Justine has to be among the top couple AO favourites.
I saw the clip too, but i have to say Martina played a wrong tactic against Henin. She drew a break in the first set with some forehand errors from Henin, but most of the match she kept going to the backhand, which is a killer shot. That would be like trying to break down Hingisīs own backhand by playing continously to it..
Anyway it was a good effort still Martina, and she can improve, i hope she does.

alwayshingis
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I saw the clip too, but i have to say Martina played a wrong tactic against Henin. She drew a break in the first set with some forehand errors from Henin, but most of the match she kept going to the backhand, which is a killer shot. That would be like trying to break down Hingisīs own backhand by playing continously to it..
Anyway it was a good effort still Martina, and she can improve, i hope she does.

The Henin backhand does break down though. If you watch matches where she is not playing her best, the backhands are constantly going into the net. If Justine is rusty or off in any way, it is a good idea to attack the backhand. She had improved the forehand in recent years, and it may be the much less showy shot, but it tends to be more consistent.

spencercarlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:05 AM
The Henin backhand does break down though. If you watch matches where she is not playing her best, the backhands are constantly going into the net. If Justine is rusty or off in any way, it is a good idea to attack the backhand. She had improved the forehand in recent years, and it may be the much less showy shot, but it tends to be more consistent.
I dont really agree with that, also with the forehand Henin mishits a lot, and tends to hit shorter on the court while being attacked, while with the backhand has that powerful shot but also the variety of the slice. Take a closer look at the game that Hingis won breaking Heninīs serve in the first set, youīll see that it was all Heninīs forehand errors.
Clijsters played a lot to Heninīs forehand in Toronto last year and also Pierce benefited from the short forehand replies at the Usopen 4th round last year.

Barlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Taken the most games against Henin Hardene @Sydney 2006.. Impressive.. especially for the ones that trash talked abput Hingis performance. :worship: Martina.
Justine will win the whole thing :eek:

I agree, and watching the match it could have been so much closer had martina won more of the big points. Justine is looking good and I think she is probably the favourite for the australian open now that kim is doubtful.

Martina was also effected by her hip injury during the match with Justine and was also tired from her efforts at Gold Coast. She'll surely have completely recovered by Monday so should be even better in Melbourne. With all the injuries at the moment certain players will be far from 100% (venus, serena, nadia, kim if she plays) which could help Martina make a good run through the tournament if she draws one of the injured players early, it would open up a nice path to the second week (and give her a hugely impressive looking win against a very big name) and from there who knows? :lick:

azmad_88
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
But u still have to look at the fact that ,it was justine's first match..so justine might not have been that sharp like her other matches..nevertheless.martina did put up a fight...

Cris Senior
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Comment:
I think you should have your head examined for delusional schizophrenia. Martina is a great player but one of the past. She is tennis museum material right now.

Cris Senior
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Comment:
More nasty schizophrenia on your part. The Henin backhand is considered impecable and the best in the business by ALL tennis analysts including John McEnroe who has repeatedly said so, And according to you "it breaks down and are "constantly" into the net". Jesus you are a freak of severe proporions. The way you distort reality is shocking and just because you have become a hothead fanatic of Hingis. No wonder she doesn't care much for having fans. I don't blame her.

Juju #1
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Martina should be happy that she drew Justine in the 1st round

Cris Senior
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Comment:
Good points Spencercarlos : analytical and objective, and showing tennis savinesss. I proves that you can be a player's fan and still remain clearheaded
wihout distorting reality. Congrats. Your kind is becoming rare in this forum

tennisjam
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM

quite agree with you, not totally on the backhand stuff but about global shot selection at times. But I guess she needs more match practice to become more confident about this...

Despite quite few missed occasions, this match is encouraging...Hingis definitely can still cope with any power-hitter...She needs to improve her serve, forehand (hit it more flat and offensive more often) and exploit any opportunity to rush to the net...

Despite the game's evolution and her 3-years break, she remains one of the best players...

Good Luck Hingis :)

Marcus1979
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
in retrospect Martina did put in a creditable performance :)

Sam L
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
BINGO! Martina will learn from this about Justine. The last time she played Justine, it was a very different backhand. I think Martina was surprised at how well Justine is playing right now and so early in the year.

BTW, I noticed the scores too. I was going to start a thread but thought I'll wait till Justine crushes her final opponent. :)

LefandePatty
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
:worship:

Martian Stacey
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Interesting....

I've only seen the first set of Martina vs Justine so far, and i think Martina did ok. But she really does need to get her service speed up! I noticed on one serve it was only around 115km :o She can't afford to do that against the likes of the Williams sisters, they will just punish it.

The match against Justine was definately good for Martina :) I think she would have taken away a lot from it.