PDA

View Full Version : Justines backhand best in both mens and womens tennis??

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Just now the commentators said that Mcenroe thinks that JUJU has the best backhand among WTA as well as ATP tour...What do you guys think..I choose to believe...

Billabong
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Guga at his prime had a better backhand for sure:p But on the women's side, Venus is up there with her

SzavayFi
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Of course not :p Take Federer, Nalbandian, Agassi, Hewitt....Justine wouldnt stand a chance :shrug: The men are just too powerful for her, you dont notice it on TV but there really is quite a large difference.

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:01 AM
well maybe they beat her in power...But a shot is just not about power is it??Doesnt finesse count??

Junex
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Just now the commentators said that Mcenroe thinks that JUJU has the best backhand among WTA as well as ATP tour...What do you guys think..I choose to believe...

J McEnroe has always been fascinated by Justine's Backhand...

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:06 AM
J McEnroe has always been fascinated by Justine's Backhand...
So am I :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Gasquet and Ollie Rochus have great one handers also.

Federer's BH is his weakness (if thats what you can call it- it is compared to his FH)

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:12 AM
no. many have better on the mens tour, and Venus' is the best on the women's

Myggen
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:12 AM
That little girl generates so much power through almost perfect technique and that is why it is such a great shot. On the men's side Gasquet in form has some of the same. Hard to compare against the best two hander, though. But Safin's backhand is probably the best two handed backhand.

tennisrox
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Personally I prefer gasquet's backhand.For two-handers i'd have to go with safin.I don't think justine's is the best on both tours.The women's tour yes,but not the mens.

spencercarlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Of course not :p Take Federer, Nalbandian, Agassi, Hewitt....Justine wouldnt stand a chance :shrug: The men are just too powerful for her, you dont notice it on TV but there really is quite a large difference.
And Safin? :p

shap_half
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Venus' is the best on the women's

I highly doubt it.

Marshmallow
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Maybe the best SINGLE HANDED backhand on thw WTA. That what most commentators say. Venus and Lindsay to name a few have great backhands...

lucashg
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Justine has the best backhand on women's tour, and she can't compete with the men, but just looking at the shots she can produce and whatnot, I believe she does have one of the best backhands in tennis.

Safin has a better backhand than Agassi and Hewitt, please! But Nalbandian is up there with him on the best two-handers. Roger doesn't generate as much power in his BH, but the amount of variety it brings to his game is essential to his success. It's one of the best on ATP and an underrated weapon (even if counted as his weakness - well, sometimes it's so off it truly is).

Timofy
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Gasquet and Ollie Rochus have great one handers also.

Federer's BH is his weakness (if thats what you can call it- it is compared to his FH)

so does gaudio

WonderfulLee
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM
for women yess! (but i still love Venus backhand!)

for men? i dont think so....!

timafi
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:30 AM
wow nobody talks about Mauresmo's bhand? :eek: :eek:

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM
I highly doubt it.

good for you. gold star in the mail.

njnetswill
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Gasquet and Safin have amazing backhands. Agassi is also very solid.

Justine too, but I don't know I would say she has the best one in all of tennis.

Cp6uja
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:02 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But JuJu backhand is maybe best in whole WTA history!

venus_rulez
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I think part of the appeal of Henin hardenne's backhand is that it is one handed. It's rare in tennis, especially women's tennis, so that's part of why people pay attention to it. Henin Hardenne's backhand is beautiful but her and venus are probably tit for tat. I think Venus' is better between the two down the line, Henin Hardenne is better between the two going crosscourt. I've never seen Justine hit an inside out backhand though, I've seen venus do that numerous times.

Mark for Martina
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
In the mens.. Gasquet's & Gaudio's are very powerful...

selking
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:05 AM
haha no chance. when it comes to tennis women are a on a way different level

spencercarlos
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I think part of the appeal of Henin hardenne's backhand is that it is one handed. It's rare in tennis, especially women's tennis, so that's part of why people pay attention to it. Henin Hardenne's backhand is beautiful but her and venus are probably tit for tat. I think Venus' is better between the two down the line, Henin Hardenne is better between the two going crosscourt. I've never seen Justine hit an inside out backhand though, I've seen venus do that numerous times.
You did not watch Henin-Hingis last game at 15-40.. that was one.. BTW.. Venus runs around her forehand to hit backhands, while Henin does not, its imposible to produce that shot if you dont do that.
Venus backhand is more powerful, but i think Henin´s better, much more consistent and in terms of power is great too.

venus_rulez
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:18 AM
You did not watch Henin-Hingis last game at 15-40.. that was one.. BTW.. Venus runs around her forehand to hit backhands, while Henin does not, its imposible to produce that shot if you dont do that.
Venus backhand is more powerful, but i think Henin´s better, much more consistent and in terms of power is great too.

I don't know if I would say it's more consistent. Henin Hardenne beat Kuznetsova very easily today, but she dumped a lot of backhands into the net.

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:20 AM
yeah true..Plus the defensive slice shots...Just awesome...Such a small frame shes got she can easily be outhit by people..however fast she is..But she has such a great defense on backhand...Has really low slice angles on topspin,power,lobs everything..Yeah that inside out backhand with hingis was :drool: :hearts:

Haute
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Gaudio's backhand is one of the most underrated on both sides, no one (or hardly anyone at least) ever talks about his backhand has one of the best. It's so beautiful and free-flowing; I could watch him play all day. :D

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Gaudio's backhand is one of the most underrated on both sides, no one (or hardly anyone at least) ever talks about his backhand has one of the best. It's so beautiful and free-flowing; I could watch him play all day. :D
yeah its a gem...

JustineTime
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
no. many have better on the mens tour, and Venus' is the best on the women's

Ahhh, whaddyou know? :p

LH2HBH
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Best One-Hander, yes.... Best Backhand over all mmmmnnnn NO

azmad_88
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM
nalbandian can rip his backhand really hard and its always working for him....
federer's backhand is not his liability
safin of course is also flat and hard

to compare with atp? i dun think so

leeber
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM
it looks nice, but fed's one is better :lol:

kosmikgroove
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM

she has hit those before, as well as returnig overheads from 15 feet behind the baseline with interest. running cross-court, short angled, powerful backhand passing shots, and swinging backhand volleys. :worship: sorry, kinda fell into my old hero worship ways. but yea, she has hit inside-out forehands before

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Maybe on the WTA, but ATP??? JMac :tape:

Lady
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:15 AM
she has hit those before, as well as returnig overheads from 15 feet behind the baseline with interest. running cross-court, short angled, powerful backhand passing shots, and swinging backhand volleys. :worship: sorry, kinda fell into my old hero worship ways. but yea, she has hit inside-out forehands before

I'm sure you meant inside-out backhands. ;)

And agreed on all your post, I've seen Ju hit all of this too.

And she's the only player I saw hitting swinging backhand volleys. :D
I heard Gasquet can do it too, and I don't doubt it, I just haven't seen it myself. ;)

kosmikgroove
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Well let's say we give Justine's technique on the backhand to someone of Roddick's size and general musculature; I'd say that shot would do some HEAVY damage on the ATP, and be considered by some to be the best shot in Tennis.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
It seems to me that Big Mac forgets to GUGA :worship: , Gaudio , Volandri , Gasquet , Federer , Haas

In the women side OK , but in the men side are they first

ceiling_fan
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM
what McEnroe said that?!?!?!?!

Alicia Molik was commentating for this match :D:D

minboy
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Maybe on the WTA, but ATP??? JMac :tape:

best backhand technical wise:shrug: ??

oh well, just forgot it was an unknown concept for a whole lot of GM'ers :o

LostGlory
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Hey this is not about Power this is about Technique....

JHH has an excellent Technique for the one handed backhand.....she is up there on the women's tour...the closest to her is of course Mauresmo....there are other good Back hands but the are mostly two handed backhand which a totaly different thing.....
On the men's side at the moment I think Richard Gasquet and of course Federer are equally good technically.....Haas is not bad as well...

malaye
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I've never seen Justine hit an inside out backhand though, I've seen venus do that numerous times.
Oh but I have. Justine's inside-out backhand is a beauty. Especially on the return of serve :drool:

tennisjam
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:14 AM
among women, one of the best...

among men, certainly not...

améliemomo
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Gasquet has the most beautiful BH :)

Prizeidiot
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Justine's backhand is technically beautiful.

I dunno if it's the best in world tennis, but it is certainly the best in womens tennis. It is such a smooth shot, apparently effortless. Especially compared to the two handed backhands of many of the other women, who look like they're throwing themselves at the ball.

natacha1
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I only follow the wta, and I think she has a great backhand. I love seeing her hitting backhands to all the corners of the court. It is the backhand who made her top 10. In 2001 this was one of the best shots of justine. The forehand and serve became bether in 2003.
I believe her backhand is the best on the wta tour.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Be careful, Hingis is back.

Best two handed backhands: Martina, Na, Anabel

Best one handed backhand: Justine, Amelie.

pigam
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
maybe not the most consistent or powerfull (and thus best) but the most spectacular one, imho.

Spunky83
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Like someone mentioned, it´s just purely astonishing what Justine´s capable of playing. People often ask why she has more power than players as tiny as her or even taller. She has figured out the best technique ever possible with that little body she has, guess that´s why I enjoy her game so much.

Probably not the best backhand ever, but definetly one of most effective strokes on the tour right now - both women and men. I am sure a bunch of guys would like to have that shot. One thing´s for sure: Technically and especially aesthetically it is the best backhand right now.

BTW: I have seen a lot of players live now and there weren´t as many "ahhs" and "oohhhs" by the crowd during Federer matches then compared to Justine´s.

Allez-H
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Just saw Justine hit one while the highlights of the match :p

faste5683
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Well let's say we give Justine's technique on the backhand to someone of Roddick's size and general musculature; I'd say that shot would do some HEAVY damage on the ATP, and be considered by some to be the best shot in Tennis.

Great observation: I can live with that...

:wavey:

frenchie
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I don't think Henin's BH is the best nowadays...
A one-handed BH is maybe more beautiful to see (and it's questionnable IMO) but a 2 handed BH is more efficient for high balls, DTL shots and power.
For me Venus has the best followed by Lindsay, Serena, Myskina...

Still, Henin's BH is good of course

vwfan
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
no. many have better on the mens tour, and Venus' is the best on the women'syep, i'd have to agree. Put Henin's against Venus backhand and Venus' is clearly more effective. (just look at the h2hs!)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I don't like it. Just because it's hit with one hand. Whatever.

Guga had a better one, though. :sad::wavey:

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
MOst beautiful to watch... no doubt

Best in tennis... NO WAY

A player that has a 2 handed BH but can also hit a great 1 handed slice BH is going to always be superior.

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Holy shit some people here are MORONS. When someone says "Justine's backhand is the best on the men's and women's tour", yes it is a contentious statement. BUT, it is not saying that McEnroe thinks Justine's backhand is more powerful, or can beat a man's. Honestly, some of you have shit for brains. Ever think he might mean in regards to technique, effectiveness (compared to gender, tools. Maybe he means justine's is more effective in the women's game, than the best man's backhand is against the rest of the men's tour).

I personally think Lindsay, Venus, and Kim have better backhands, but honestly some people: (Word Life, silverwhite, leeber, azmad, selking). Geez.

justine&coria
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Holy shit some people here are MORONS. When someone says "Justine's backhand is the best on the men's and women's tour", yes it is a contentious statement. BUT, it is not saying that McEnroe thinks Justine's backhand is more powerful, or can beat a man's. Honestly, some of you have shit for brains. Ever think he might mean in regards to technique, effectiveness (compared to gender, tools. Maybe he means justine's is more effective in the women's game, than the best man's backhand is against the rest of the men's tour).

I personally think Lindsay, Venus, and Kim have better backhands, but honestly some people: (Word Life, silverwhite, leeber, azmad, selking). Geez.
:lol: :worship:

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
And she's the only player I saw hitting swinging backhand volleys. :D
I heard Gasquet can do it too, and I don't doubt it, I just haven't seen it myself. ;)

I've seen it a couple of times. ;)

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM

And what if I disagree with all of the above? Am I not allowed such an opinion? :retard:

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Ahhh, whaddyou know? :p

apparently nothing, if i dont agree that Henin has the best shot in the mens and game :confused:

:)

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
apparently nothing, if i dont agree that Henin has the best shot in the mens and game :confused:

We're in the same boat. We're morons, tools and have shit for brains. :sobbing:

kabuki
Jan 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I love JHH's BH, but as a weapon, Venus and Marat win big time.

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
And what if I disagree with all of the above? Am I not allowed such an opinion? :retard:

You are, but you didn't mention that in your response. :)

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM

I don't know if this is directed at me, but oh well. In my response I never mentioned your name, and even acknowledged that I don't think Justine has the best backhand in men's or women's. Just fed up with other stupid people.:)

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM
We're in the same boat. We're morons, tools and have shit for brains. :sobbing:

She doesn't. You do.

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I don't know if this is directed at me, but oh well. In my response I never mentioned your name, and even acknowledged that I don't think Justine has the best backhand in men's or women's. Just fed up with other stupid people.:)

it was directed at JustineTime...we go back....wayyyyyy back....:)

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM
You are, but you didn't mention that in your response. :)

And that gave you the license to assume. Right...

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM
it was directed at JustineTime...we go back....wayyyyyy back....:)

Aight, cool. :p

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM
And that gave you the license to assume. Right...

Sorry, I've seen you post around here enough. :tape:

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Sorry, I've seen you post around here enough. :tape:

And? :shrug:

You don't have to beat around the bush, you know.

faste5683
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM
MOst beautiful to watch... no doubt

Best in tennis... NO WAY

A player that has a 2 handed BH but can also hit a great 1 handed slice BH is going to always be superior.

How so?

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
And? :shrug:

You don't have to beat around the bush, you know.

And what? :shrug: I said it already, you have shit for brains.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I think technically it is probably the best on either tour. Backhand to backhand many men would still overpower her though.

I think Federer has more finesse on the backhand side with his wristy technique but I think Justine's more extreme grip & stroke is more efficient for flatish power shots. Obviously, Federer would still get the best of most backhand to backhand exchanges though.

silverwhite
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
And what? :shrug: I said it already, you have shit for brains.

Poisoning the well to end an argument. Classic! :yeah:

Ryan
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
How so?

LOL, his logic is supremely flawed. Lets look at the absolute all-time greats.

Graf - 1 handed
Navratilova - 1 handed
BJK - 1 handed
Sampras - 1 handed

Obviously I'm leaving out Evert, who is definately a phenominal champ with equal singles GS's as Nav. Just pointing out that a 2-hander doesn't in anyway make you superior.

K.U.C.W-R.V
I would add that while not necessarily the best, I think asthetically Henin's backhand is certainly the most pleasing on either tour.

Ryan
Poisoning the well to end an argument. Classic! :yeah:

Sorry, I really don't know what else you want me to say. I stated my opinion, you gave yours, ta da.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I think thats what I'm trying to say. You put it better though.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Totally agree. Gaston is something of a head case but his backhand is a gift from the gods.

jj74
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think JMac refers that Justine backhand is more powerfull than some of the atp players, tennis is not only power, and Justine backhand is one of the best executed backhands of all time (and incredible powerfull for a girl of her size)

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I don't think JMac refers that Justine backhand is more powerfull than some of the atp players, tennis is not only power, and Justine backhand is one of the best executed backhands of all time (and incredible powerfull for a girl of her size)
Yeah true...

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
How so?

more power from 2 hands and better ability to handle high balls (high balls are real problem for 1 handers) PLUS the ability to take a hand off for further reach and to use slice to mix it up. It is the best of both worlds..... :D

kosmikgroove
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
more power from 2 hands and better ability to handle high balls (high balls are real problem for 1 handers) PLUS the ability to take a hand off for further reach and to use slice to mix it up. It is the best of both worlds..... :D

i still don't understand everyone's misconception that two hands always equates more power. power is generated first by the torque created by legs, hips, then torso. those are all factors of lower body fitness, rather than arms.

in terms of upper body strength, 1 handers can generate the same, if not more power as 2 handers because they do not have the restricted mobility/flexibility when two hands are placed on the racquet handle. greater mobility on the backswing, equates greater distance which in turn creates huge amounts of power. velocity + distance = greater momentum leading up to a shot. lastly, topspin is added with the wrist snap.

in addition, using a one-handed backhand, time in & time out over so many years makes volleying much more natural, especially on the backhand side. if you think of the greatest volleyers in tennis history, you see they belong to Sampras, Navritilova, McEnroe (to name a few). In today's game, Mauresmo has perhaps the best volleys. All play one-handed backhands. coincidence? i think not.

although I will conceed that high shots to one-hand backhands can cause trouble, but not debilitating.

wally1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I really don't think it's true that you necessarily get more power from a two-hander, as one-handed you can swing the racket on a wider arc e.g. who hits a backhand harder than Gasquet??

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM
more stability for a 2 hander as well plus you can drive through the ball more solidly

wally1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
more stability for a 2 hander as well plus you can drive through the ball more solidly

I'm not sure how this myth got started, as it all depends on having good technique. Do you think all the players with great one-handers such as Edberg, Lendl, Gasquet, Sabatini, Henin etc etc don't hit the ball solidly? If two hands on the racket makes it so much easier to hit the ball why doesn't everyone have two-handed forehands? The only thing I'll give you is that the two handed technique is easier to learn if you start playing when really young as many players do nowadays..

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Graf - 1 handed
Navratilova - 1 handed
BJK - 1 handed
Sampras - 1 handed

Obviously I'm leaving out Evert, who is definately a phenominal champ with equal singles GS's as Nav. Just pointing out that a 2-hander doesn't in anyway make you superior.

then again the two hander is a relatively new concept :)

Mercury Rising
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM
i still don't understand everyone's misconception that two hands always equates more power. power is generated first by the torque created by legs, hips, then torso. those are all factors of lower body fitness, rather than arms.

in terms of upper body strength, 1 handers can generate the same, if not more power as 2 handers because they do not have the restricted mobility/flexibility when two hands are placed on the racquet handle. greater mobility on the backswing, equates greater distance which in turn creates huge amounts of power. velocity + distance = greater momentum leading up to a shot. lastly, topspin is added with the wrist snap.

in addition, using a one-handed backhand, time in & time out over so many years makes volleying much more natural, especially on the backhand side. if you think of the greatest volleyers in tennis history, you see they belong to Sampras, Navritilova, McEnroe (to name a few). In today's game, Mauresmo has perhaps the best volleys. All play one-handed backhands. coincidence? i think not.

although I will conceed that high shots to one-hand backhands can cause trouble, but not debilitating.Post of the day. Congrats.

Sam L
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Graf - 1 handed
Navratilova - 1 handed
BJK - 1 handed
Sampras - 1 handed

BJK greater than Evert????

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Still majority of players now use this shot...Still none of them is in the list...

Andy.
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I would say that Venus's backhand is better

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure how this myth got started, as it all depends on having good technique. Do you think all the players with great one-handers such as Edberg, Lendl, Gasquet, Sabatini, Henin etc etc don't hit the ball solidly? If two hands on the racket makes it so much easier to hit the ball why doesn't everyone have two-handed forehands? The only thing I'll give you is that the two handed technique is easier to learn if you start playing when really young as many players do nowadays..

Look at Chris Evert's legacy.. she ushered in the era of 2 handed BHs and since BHs have become a weapon, versus a stroke just keep the point going until they could 1) get to the net or 2) hit a FH.

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I think so..BJK was the first if the females who fought not only for victories on court but also fought for female tennis and giving it professional touch...Shes one of the greatest..

SJW
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Still majority of players now use this shot...Still none of them is in the list...

well then look at the list of "non retired" players with the most majors:

Monica
Serena
Venus
Martina II
JHH
Lindsay
Jennifer

as we see, JHH is the only one with a one hander.
so are two handers superior? no, they are just the majority.
just like single handers back in the day.

now what? :)

DragonFlame
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM
on woman's side justine's backhand is the best and most beautiful :D that shot is a gift from god :worship: not the best of men though.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM

although I will conceed that high shots to one-hand backhands can cause trouble, but not debilitating.

I'll give you the volleying part, but 1 handers are typically weaker on the BH shot because the inverted pronation of the wrist on the 1 handed BH is not natural and causes weakness

TeamUSA#1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I think so..BJK was the first if the females who fought not only for victories on court but also fought for female tennis and giving it professional touch...Shes one of the greatest..

BJK is historic, the mother of the modern WTA..

however, in terms of on court achievments, Evert is superior.

Natasc
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
dont think so :scratch:
it's amazing, but I also love a few bakchands with one hand:
Federer
Haas
Guga
Gasquet (I cant forget that MP against Fed in TB in Monte Carlo I think...)

but I think that a bakchand with two hands can be beautiful as well, look for:
Safin
Nalbandian
Hewitt
and a few others that I cant remenber right now :lol:

all pretty for me :D

Mightymirza
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Well at end of their careers I think JHH will win more slams than most of players in the list..provided she stays healthy...Its just hard to master the single hander..Like a wild horse very hard to tame..Double hander is safe..To me one hander always bettr than 2 hander..Anyways time will tell the Slam count and who will be in Hall of fame actually..We will see then

wally1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM

The only woman who's volleying could compete with Mauresmo's is I think Roberta Vinci - she also has a one-handed backhand..

wally1
Jan 12th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Look at Chris Evert's legacy.. she ushered in the era of 2 handed BHs and since BHs have become a weapon, versus a stroke just keep the point going until they could 1) get to the net or 2) hit a FH.
You could go back into the mists of time to players who had great one-handed backhands like Don Budge and Pauline Betz. In any case I'm sure you'll agree there's many players who've hit many winners with a one-hander!

kosmikgroove
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'll give you the volleying part, but 1 handers are typically weaker on the BH shot because the inverted pronation of the wrist on the 1 handed BH is not natural and causes weakness

inverted pronation? pronation on the one-handed backhand can be gripped identical to the two-handed (the leading wrist). the only difference is that the guiding arm is held typically at the throat of the racquet, which allows for a greater range of motion.

minboy
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM

:worship:

There's a reason the greatest ( male ) player of all time dropped his two-handed technique for the one-handed backhand in his teenage years. As he pointed out once, not only was it the best move he has ever made, but it wasn't "just" a matter of technique ; more importantly a totally different approach to the game.

faste5683
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Great post! Btw, there are a number of ways to hit both slice and topspin one-handers against high balls. If you are going to drive the ball, the racket take-back must be higher (high ball, high take-back). Justine can hit this shot better than any player, man or woman, that I've ever seen. She routinely takes huge topspin swipes at shoulder and neck level balls :eek:

Another method is to hit the ball early...

Finally, there's the old fave, the high backhand slice. Although this shot is most often used by aggressive players to chip and charge, it can a life saver against super high-kicking balls. Think Federer.

switz
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
:lol: it's a brilliantly produced shot but didn't people see it after RG last year? when she's not in great form it is prone to error and even when she is in good form she still misses quite a bit.

Of course it beautiful to watch but if you're talking "better" there are many better double handers in terms of effectiveness and yes Gasquet, Guga, Corretja etc have better onehanders anyway

faste5683
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
:lol: it's a brilliantly produced shot but didn't people see it after RG last year? when she's not in great form it is prone to error and even when she is in good form she still misses quite a bit.

Of course it beautiful to watch but if you're talking "better" there are many better double handers in terms of effectiveness and yes Gasquet, Guga, Corretja etc have better onehanders anyway

I didn't see lot of Justine's forehand after Roland Garros, either. ;)

I understand what you're saying, but the particular shot I'm talking about is a phenomenon when considering Justine's physical size and stature.

Also, watching large players (especially male players, such as Safin), patting the ball with a two hander seems incongruous to me. I'm offended
in an aesthetic sense, being the true tennis snob that I am...

tommyk75
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
For aggresive baseliners, the two-hander is the better shot on the average. If you see Venus-Justine matches, Venus's backhand breaks Justine's down time and time again. I think it's due to the extra control you can get from two hands (using both wrists to impart topspin) and you can take the ball earlier and/or higher with the two-hander. You can generate as much power with a one-hander, but it's much harder to do it consistently. I will say that a one-hander is better for an all-court or serve-and-volley player because of its variety.

DragonFlame
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
For aggresive baseliners, the two-hander is the better shot on the average. If you see Venus-Justine matches, Venus's backhand breaks Justine's down time and time again. I think it's due to the extra control you can get from two hands (using both wrists to impart topspin) and you can take the ball earlier and/or higher with the two-hander. You can generate as much power with a one-hander, but it's much harder to do it consistently. I will say that a one-hander is better for an all-court or serve-and-volley player because of its variety.

unfortunatly the last time they meet was aussieopen2003 before henin was anything close to what she has become. we will see what it is like after they meet and if she breaks down henin now cause i'm not convinced by far, and somehow i have the feeling that match will be this year. can't wait for that match hehe :bounce:

Ryan
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Did you not read what I wrote below those people? :rolleyes: I wasn't listing champs in order, just a select few with ONE HANDED BACKHANDS. Really, try to keep up.

Ryan
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Not really, it's just more popular now. But I see your point. However, my statement isn't invalid or discredited by the fact that not many people used two-handers back then. All we can go by is the facts, and they say that most of the greatest players used 1 handers.