PDA

View Full Version : If you're Scared about Serena's Weight.. Read This

IAM#1
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17796261%255E3162,00.html it explains a lot

SilK
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM
this way it's easier for everybody to read.

Size up Serena Williams at your own risk
Mark Stevens
12jan06

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5095634,00.jpg

FAT or fiction? That is the question hovering over defending Australian Open champion Serena Williams, who has become the butt of jibes about her weight two days into her Melbourne Park training regimen.

Williams is clearly heavier than she was this time last year and would tip the scales at significantly more than her official weight of 61kg, as listed in the WTA player guide.
Fitness guru Dr John Tickell, who puts overweight stars through their paces on Channel 9's Celebrity Overhaul, simply said "wow" when he saw photos of Williams in yesterday's Herald Sun.

But given the 24-year-old superstar won the 2005 Australian Open after entering the event underdone, Tickell has joined other medicos and leading tennis figures in refusing to write off Williams.

"One wonders when you look at the pictures. How much of that thigh is muscle or fat? It's a bit hard to tell," he said.

"If it's all muscle, then good luck. But my next question is how does a female get that much muscle and do they need that much muscle?

"I'm not going to recommend her for Celebrity Overhaul on one photo."

The Open has a habit of throwing up weight controversies, with Mary Pierce and Jennifer Capriati coming under scrutiny in recent years.

Williams' fitness made headlines as recently as Wimbledon last year, after she crashed to unheralded American Jill Craybas in the third round.

"Serena needs to get in condition. She's in the worst condition," Williams' father Richard said at the time.

Williams has not played a tour match since September and has battled niggling knee and ankle injuries. She is equal sixth in Open betting, rated a $13 chance by TAB Sportsbet.

She practised again on centre court yesterday, ditching Tuesday's threequarter white lycra pants for more conventional shorts, and Open chief executive Paul McNamee is content with what he has seen.

"She's a had a very tough year with injuries and could've possibly not come," McNamee said.

"Serena was hitting the ball pretty well yesterday and I wouldn't speculate on anything. Serena wasn't 100 per cent last year and she won the tournament. We know what a great competitor she is.

"Her and (former world No. 1) Maria Sharapova have had chequered preparations and it's great they're here."

Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins took a close interest in the latest Williams shots, using a piece of paper across the waist to split the photo of her body in two.

"If you look at the upper half, gee she looks in good shape," Larkins said.

"If you put a sheet of paper over the top half and look at the bottom, you'd think that person couldn't be an athlete."

But Larkins said it was a case of genetics as much as anything.

"It is the African-American race. They just have this huge gluteal strength," Larkins said. "Jennifer Capriati was clearly out of shape and overweight (in Australia in 2003). With Serena, that's her physique and genetics.

"She might be carrying a little bit, but I don't see it as a huge risk. Look at (sprinting superstar) Merlene Ottey and look at the size of her backside. Those sprinters always look like they've got big backsides even when they're breaking world records.

"It is a factor you have to take into account."

Commentator and former Australian Davis Cup hero John Alexander said Williams would not put herself at risk if she thought she was not fit enough for grand slam battle.

"She has a lot of pride and is one of the greats of all time. She would not come here and expose herself to playing badly or being beaten by lesser people if she didn't think she was right," Alexander said.

"She has missed grand slams before."

Meesh
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
"It is the African-American race. They just have this huge gluteal strength," Larkins said. "Jennifer Capriati was clearly out of shape and overweight (in Australia in 2003). With Serena, that's her physique and genetics.

Translation: Baby got back!

~~ People are really going overboard with Serena and her weight. I guess she will be the side show of the slam... At USO they focused on Blake's comeback and Sania's religion... Can't remember the side shows of the other slams last year.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
shut up about her weight, there has been abotu 10 of these threads in the past 3 days.....get over it! if you want fat, look at jennifer capriati, svetlana kuznetsova (WHO I LOVE), and serna. get over it! ahhhh:mad:

GoDominique
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah, she's huge.

-Sonic-
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
"Those sprinters always look like they've got big backsides even when they're breaking world records"

hahahahaha... fabulous.

Kunal
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
baby do got back

Aquanetta
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
But if Serena defends her Australian Open title-- and we all know that she is more than capable of doing so-- what meaning does this, or any other article pertaining to her weight, have?

serenafan08
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM

"She might be carrying a little bit, but I don't see it as a huge risk. Look at (sprinting superstar) Merlene Ottey and look at the size of her backside. Those sprinters always look like they've got big backsides even when they're breaking world records.
He couldn't have been more correct in saying this. Y'all remember Gail Devers??? With all that booty - it was a miracle that she could hurdle like she did! But remember, she dominated the 100 meter hurdles and the 100 meter sprint for like 10 years. That's just a thing with black people. I'm black, and I've got thick thighs and calfs - and I'm a guy!!! We're just built like that.

Now with Serena, I think it's genetics - but I also think she's gained a little weight. She has always had a big backside - but it's never been this big. Her upper body looks great - she should just work on toning her lower body.

Philbo
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
another one

http://www.news.com.au/files/williams-fiona400.jpg

©@®eLess
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM
her hands look ok, just that last pic upper size of her body is like taken from another person. She looks very fit in the upper parts, but something very wrong with her butt and legs! Maybe it's photoshop work?

Aquanetta
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
her hands look ok, just that last pic upper size of her body is like taken from another person. She looks very fit in the upper parts, but something very wrong with her butt and legs! Maybe it's photoshop work?

I suspect that it is Photoshop.

:rolleyes:

pisces
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM
beautiful!

Helen Lawson
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Bodywise, Serena is a stamp of Oracene, and Oracene is inside, just wanting to bust out of that body so bad. Serena will always have somewhat of a weight struggle.
Venus is built like Richard, she won't have these problems, and to date, never has.

venusfan
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Wow.. look at Venus.. keep that body up Venus you look good. Serena, u are a bit overweight with or without that nice ass.. shape up and lose 10 pounds. If Serena wins the Aus Open then I will be shocked.. hell, I'll be shocked if she makes it to the second week.

griffin
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Did they manage to photoshop pretty much every photo we've seen of her in Oz? The clothes she's wearing are probably accentuating things, but that's her, not technology going on.

I wouldn't comment on her fitness based on looks alone - I remember everyone saying Capriati was fat and out of shape in 2002, only to have her win the AO in one of the most physically grueling finals in recent years. But if I were her, I'd worry about the affect of all that weight - whether it's muscle or fat - on her knee.

matthias
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
muscles on her ass?
and if yes - then for what does she need muscles on her ass?

!<blocparty>!
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I've only seen two pics. :shrug: Her ass doesn't look any bigger or smaller from what I remember it being last year.

I guess we'll see pretty soon where she's at.

griffin
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
muscles on her ass?

I imagine to move her legs - just like the rest of us.

manu32
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM
capriati likes parties and .. pierce likes creatin.....it's different......
genetic is a false argument:she was thin as a child,and venus is her sister.....
maybe an hormonal problem???? or a boulimic woman???

Marcell
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
muscles on her ass?

I have to inform you that the ass is a muscle(Gluteus).
Some of us are bless with more than others.

Ryan
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Did they manage to photoshop pretty much every photo we've seen of her in Oz? The clothes she's wearing are probably accentuating things, but that's her, not technology going on.

I wouldn't comment on her fitness based on looks alone - I remember everyone saying Capriati was fat and out of shape in 2002, only to have her win the AO in one of the most physically grueling finals in recent years. But if I were her, I'd worry about the affect of all that weight - whether it's muscle or fat - on her knee.

Agree. Certainly Serena LOOKS a little bigger in her lower half, but her pants could probably make a twig look fat. :tape: I don't think it's fair to say we shouldn't talk about her "weight", it's a tennis board and a tennis player's physique is important to their performance. There are way too many being dicks about it though.

starr
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17796261%255E3162,00.html it explains a lot

I wasn't scared, but I read it anyway. :) :)

I say the proof is in the pudding. We'll get to see just what the pudding is made of very soon.

Sanneriet
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060111/capt.mel10401110132.australia_tennis__williams__me l104.jpg

I think she looks better in this one.

starr
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I will say that I've seen pictures of Serena before when she looked HUGE in pictures, but not as big when I saw her on television. I remember that year at the USO when she had that awful denim outfit, there were pictures that looked enormous, but on tv, she looked smaller. These are the biggest pictures I've seen of her ever. I did see her on Punked in that green dress, and she looked big there too. I just want to wait until I see her on TV at the Open.

DannerCal
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I don't personally care what Serena ways - and you know what - she has had injuries that I am sure have hampered her practices. I give her kudos for continuing to do her best w/ the talents she has. Obviously Serena does not have a problem wearing those white shorts - so she must be okay. That is what matters.

So on the topic of butts: I hope she kicks tons of "butts" - pardon the pun ;).

Denise4925
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:18 PM
You couldn't possibly be as stupid as you sound.

hingis-seles
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Why is everyone so obsessed with her weight?! Why is it such an issue? Will we see 5 news stories the next time she takes a dump?

I'm all for discussing topics and am not bashing anyone on this board. My issue is with the media which is obsessing over irrelevant topics like Serena being "overweight" when they should be writing about the WTA and it's players being run into the ground with injuries every 15 minutes.

wipeout
Jan 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Think of the fastest male and female tennis players you know. Do they look like Serena does right now?

If not, they you've got to wonder how useful all that "gluteal strength" is in running and speed. ;)

CanadianBoy21
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM
she is apparently going to play. if she was fat, she wouldn't, would she.

She sure did add weight, it's no denying that. 2003 and now are two different bodies.

Serena seems to be content, wearing skin tight pants.

So why are some of you bitching about?

le bon vivant
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Im so confused at these people - like they forgot Serena had a big ass.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I imagine to move her legs - just like the rest of us.

:haha:

le bon vivant
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Bodywise, Serena is a stamp of Oracene, and Oracene is inside, just wanting to bust out of that body so bad. Serena will always have somewhat of a weight struggle.
Venus is built like Richard, she won't have these problems, and to date, never has.

Thats not true, because oracene didnt even get as buig as she is currently until after her daughter was murdered. look at pics of Oracene in 2003 - she was a thick woman, but nowhere near being a big woman.

And last time i checked, Richard was neither tall nor lanky like Venus. Richard has thin legs but a big ass gut and upper body.

darrinbaker00
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Think of the fastest male and female tennis players you know. Do they look like Serena does right now?

If not, they you've got to wonder how useful all that "gluteal strength" is in running and speed. ;)
I, for one, don't have to wonder. All I have to do is look at the physique of any Olympic-level sprinter.

Denise4925
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Why is everyone so obsessed with her weight?! Why is it such an issue? Will we see 5 news stories the next time she takes a dump?

I'm all for discussing topics and am not bashing anyone on this board. My issue is with the media which is obsessing over irrelevant topics like Serena being "overweight" when they should be writing about the WTA and it's players being run into the ground with injuries every 15 minutes.
I totally agree and find it hard to digest myself. But, I think she walked out in those white leggings with that big booty of hers and they went nuts.

Denise4925
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
You don't watch track and field do you.

IAM#1
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Thats is the whole reason i posted this article.. I am sorry that Serena cannot have all back like Sharapova, Vaidosova and all that.. What Serena has is what all the women in Europe are paying 12,000 dollars for..... ala Beyonce!!! I am sorry curvy voluptious women are IN skinny blondes are out.. Sorry but I dont think Sharapova is that pretty.. What is so spectacular about her bod? Nothing!!! Its time for people to change their focus.. I am sorry I would take a Serena, Beyonce, or J Lo physique type woman before I ever touched a Skinny-POVA!!!! So she got BACK and its all GENETICS!!! ALL IN ALL STOP HATING!!!!

Grachka
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Thats not true, because oracene didnt even get as buig as she is currently until after her daughter was murdered. look at pics of Oracene in 2003 - she was a thick woman, but nowhere near being a big woman.

And last time i checked, Richard was neither tall nor lanky like Venus. Richard has thin legs but a big ass gut and upper body.
Isn't it about time for another weigh-off between Serena and my mother? If Serena beats my mother, it'll be an indication of whether she's put on masses of weight :p

Man..I need some new material.

As for Serena's arse, it doesn't look any bigger than usual. It hasn't hurt her in the past, has it?

RVD
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
You know it's a slow day in sports news when they get together to discuss a black woman's ass. :haha:
Wow, these people just can't help but to talk about Serena, regardless of the reason. That's my girl! :worship:
Personally, I think it's just an excuse for the good 'ol boys to take more picks of a sista's sweet juicy back side. :drool:

Marcell
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
You know it's a slow day in sports news when they get together to discuss a black woman's ass. :haha:
Wow, these people just can't help but to talk about Serena, regardless of the reason. That's my girl! :worship:
Personally, I think it's just an excuse for the good 'ol boys to take more picks of a sista's sweet juicy back side. :drool:

It's quite obvious that these people who are surprise by Serena's ass have not been exposed to many black women. For every Serena I see an average of 10-12 every day. For anyone who is familiar with the video vixen Buffy(the body) Serena has nothing on her. Serena is obviously comfortable with her asset, so why is everyone else so uncomfortable.

Derek.
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:25 PM

:haha:

hablo
I hope Serena does really well at the AO (spare Momo please :tape: )... :devil:
And the supposed link between genetics and race that is used in this article to explain her weight is just a bunch of crap! :)

le bon vivant
Isn't it about time for another weigh-off between Serena and my mother? If Serena beats my mother, it'll be an indication of whether she's put on masses of weight :p

Man..I need some new material.

As for Serena's arse, it doesn't look any bigger than usual. It hasn't hurt her in the past, has it?

Please post a pic of ur mum to finally put to end all discussion of the subject. :p

Grachka
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Please post a pic of ur mum to finally put to end all discussion of the subject. :p
OK, OK. If you want proof that my mum would beat Serena here is comes.

She'd kill me if she ever found out by the way :scared: :o

The attached is my mum out shopping.

Simplicity
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM

No offense but she looks... Anorexic?? :sad: Is she sick?? :tape: But she's still pretty :shrug: :scratch:

le bon vivant
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Black is faaaaaaaaar too slimming to make a fair comparison. Nothing of her in tight white jogging pants? :cool:

Yonexforever
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I think the writer treads in dangerous territory when he approaches race as a reason for her physique... great leg strength and size exists in MANY races... fast runners exist in MANY races... big behinds exists in MANY races.... his commentary borders on RASCIST anglo views!

RVD
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM
It's quite obvious that these people who are surprise by Serena's ass have not been exposed to many black women. For every Serena I see an average of 10-12 every day. For anyone who is familiar with the video vixen Buffy(the body) Serena has nothing on her. Serena is obviously comfortable with her asset, so why is everyone else so uncomfortable.One wonders why they even care. :shrug: But it's always been that way. As if they're trying hard to convince themselves that they don't like that sweet juicy bootie...while at the same time stealing peaks at that brown round perfection. :haha:
Truthfully though...if they didn't care about it, it wouldn't be an issue. :yeah:

Serena's milkshake bring all the boys to the yard! :devil:
Damn right, it better than yours... :lol:

Marcell
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:42 PM
No offense but she looks... Anorexic?? :sad: Is she sick?? :tape: But she's still pretty :shrug: :scratch:

That picture is of the actress Calista Flockhart. She has been rumored to be suffering from anorexia.

Yonexforever
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
And another thing... Merlene Ottey is NOT African American and doesn't have a behind that is partucularly huge either!

RVD
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:46 PM
That picture is of the actress Calista Flockhart. She has been rumored to be suffering from anorexia.I thought I was the only one who recognized Calista. She used to be the poster girl for anorexia. Shame because she used to be really pretty as a teen actress.

Grachka
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
That picture is of the actress Calista Flockhart. She has been rumored to be suffering from anorexia.
You ruined my fun :sobbing:

Marcell
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:50 PM
You ruined my fun :sobbing:

Sorry for outing you! It was too tempting.

Grachka
Jan 11th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Black is faaaaaaaaar too slimming to make a fair comparison. Nothing of her in tight white jogging pants? :cool:
My mum always jogs in such attire, you'll have the evidence :)

wipeout
Jan 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I, for one, don't have to wonder. All I have to do is look at the physique of any Olympic-level sprinter.

You don't watch track and field do you.

Why not look at the physiques of the fastest tennis players instead?

If they are not the same as a sprinter from track and field, then a sprinter's physique is obviously not ideal for tennis.

And are they the same? I think we all know the answer to that.

hotandspicey
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I guess everyone would like serena to get a butt reduction? Hell No!!!!!!!!babygirl got butt and boobs to boot! If it's alright with her, its alright with me! Go Rena. Defend that title and show these critics that weight ain't nothing but a .................................................. .................................................. slam.

ozstyl
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:00 AM
It's quite obvious that these people who are surprise by Serena's ass have not been exposed to many black women. For every Serena I see an average of 10-12 every day. For anyone who is familiar with the video vixen Buffy(the body) Serena has nothing on her. Serena is obviously comfortable with her asset, so why is everyone else so uncomfortable.

So True. I think its important to note that the herald sun is an Australian Newspaper..... & yes... on a day to day basis the majority of Australians are not exposed to black women. Australia is multicultural but still a larger part of the population is white. Im black and born and raised in this contry, I love it.... so reading that article didnt really suprise me..... that is typically how a aussie male journalist would tackle the issue of weight esp weight of a black woman.
The article is rubbish. I hope Serena does really well then this journo will have something constructive to write about..

goldenboi356
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM
with the pic serena actually looks fat. before her fat was like muscle power oozing with sexiness now it's just gross

Denise4925
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Why not look at the physiques of the fastest tennis players instead?

If they are not the same as a sprinter from track and field, then a sprinter's physique is obviously not ideal for tennis.

And are they the same? I think we all know the answer to that.
:retard: