PDA

View Full Version : This could be Elena D's Grand Slam to win

MisterMan
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
With Kim, Serena, Venus, Maria, JHH, Amelie, Nadia and Lindsay all with possible injury or less than 100%, the '06 AO Grand Slam is a HUGE opportunity for someone to step up to the plate.

In my opinion, that player is Elena D. I hope she's practicing hard somewhere for this.

Two other Russians - Kuznetsova and Myskina both lack match play and are both not at the level they were at when they won their GS titles.

Dementieva has the game to do it and the experience of walking out in court in a GS final (twice !).
If not her, i can see Vaidisova making a breakthrough to the final.

thoughts on this huge opportunity ?

Chunchun
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I love your saying but...

1) Lena says she doesn't do well in Australis because of the damn heat.
2) You can't gurantee plays 100%, she's inconsistant :(
3) Lena has to be mentally stronger to win a GS anyway :smash:

tenn_ace
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
With Kim, Serena, Venus, Maria, JHH, Amelie, Nadia and Lindsay all with possible injury or less than 100%, the '06 AO Grand Slam is a HUGE opportunity for someone to step up to the plate.

In my opinion, that player is Elena D. I hope she's practicing hard somewhere for this.

Two other Russians - Kuznetsova and Myskina both lack match play and are both not at the level they were at when they won their GS titles.

Dementieva has the game to do it and the experience of walking out in court in a GS final (twice !).

Sveta is lacking macth play? :confused: She played more matches this year than Elena :secret:

PS. and according to people who watch her matches, Sveta is playing really well at the moment

and in general, Lena could only win with all those players beung injured... that's an "awesome" compliment :haha: :rolleyes:

itzhak
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Leave Lena alone...she will do better without this...

hwanmig
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
You are absolutely right Lena D will win this. I'n just praying she won't meet Kim.

Helen Lawson
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I hope she wins!!!

LostGlory
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM

With all my respect to your post but where did you get your sources from????

Amelie is perfectly Fit and we haven't heard of any injuries....So is JHH and Lindsay, I dont know if you have been following tennis this season but the way I see it Svetlana had won all her single matches this year (5 of them) so far unless i'm mistaken and she seems very match fit and very much back to the level that saw her win the USOPEN....Myskina we all know the level she can play at and I think what she had done is very smart keeping herself very low profile before the open....

Elena Dementieva as much as I love her and her game and Ground Strokes, unless she had done something to her serve during the break she stands no chance at the top level.....

azmad_88
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
she might win...hopefully

strawberry.babou
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Please don't jinx her.

MisterMan
Jan 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I said injury OR not playing 100%.

I feel Amelie is not playing up to her potential, even tho she's healthy.
I also don't feel Myskina is intentionally keeping a low profile as some sort of mind trick before the AO. I doubt she will make it past R16.
Sveta is not playing as she did when she won the USO.

all i'm saying is there's a door that opened up and I hope one of my faves, ED, walks through it !

Dementinator
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
can never count Elena out really ,shes one of the most Talented out there at times ,has to be to get where she has with her dodgy serving.

Would be lovely to see her do it finaly and my god wouldnt it piss off so many people on the board ,but win or lose ,shes always a delight to watch...

squash
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Elena has a serious injury as well, and it is her serve. Until she works on her serve, she will not win a Gran slam. Elena serve really breaks down when ever she makes it to a final.

jonny84
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Interesting.

I would love Elena to win a slam, I really would. She hasn't had that much luck here in Australia though. She's lost in 1R twice in the last three years and hasnt got past the 4R stage.

We'll just have to see how things go.........

pierce0415
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:23 PM
First of all, Lindsay, Amelie and Justine are fine.
Second, even if these players are not fine or not playing 100%, why would Elena D automatically be the one to take advantage of the open door over the 100 other players in the draw?

At last year's French, she had a wide open draw and yet she lost to Elena L. In fact at all of last year's GS, she didn't lose to a lower ranked players so ...

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I could be Angelina Jole and Brad Pitt's unborn baby, but we can't all get what we want.

Mightymirza
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM
well justine looks quite in shape...Shes one of the biggest nemesis for russians.. Though most of the times elena beat herself..I just hope that that doesnt happen..If she plays fairly consistent enough whole tournament she definately can win this..Good luck lena...

hingis-seles
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'd be really happy if she won, but her past record here isn't exactly "stellar".

hingis-seles
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I could be Angelina Jole and Brad Pitt's unborn baby, but we can't all get what we want.

You want that?! :p

miffedmax
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Lena is capable of winning. Or of losing in the first round. Who knows?

No Name Face
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM
well Nastya had a shitty record at RG before winning it.

and i said Elena will win 2 GS's this season. I feel it happening. And she can beat ALL of those players even if they're not injured --- she beat a healthy Davenport, Mauresmo, Pierce, and a red-hot Clijsters last season (we'll never know with Serena, although Elena did beat her recently).

Elena can win, she has to have confidence in her service games, which is something that is hard to do. She can't rely on breaking the best of the best...she's gotta hold more often. If she does that, she'll win many grand slams. Then again, like all things, it's easier said than done.

MisterMan
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
why would Elena D automatically be the one to take advantage of the open door over the 100 other players in the draw?

:lol: Yea, you're right - you can never count out Tamarine Tanusugarn to take her first Slam :lol:

santhuruu
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Venus injury is probably now healed, and Serena can get some good match play into the tournament, for example look what happened at the YEC 2004, she didn't start that well but later on played quite well. But Elena is also now playing well. But may the best person win :yeah:

No Name Face
Jan 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
all she needs is a draw with no kim, no nastya, and as of recently, no venus. i know elena troubles venus, but i never feel comfortable with lena playing venus.

since she's 9th seed, if she had a R16 of Schynder, a QF of Sharapova :unsure:, a SF of Mauresmo and a F of Davenport --- she might be able to do it. sure they're all capable of beating elena, but elena can beat them if she's on. i still think elena can match sharapova off the ground and frustrate her, elena can definitely beat schynder, i like her chances against amelie in the SF's of a slam, and Lindsay in a final is probably the best case scenario.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM
nahhhh no way. and i love her, but no way.

Natasc
Jan 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
..jesus..she can win with those players IN
but i dont think that is a good tourny for her

if was in RG or USO...then things are different, but I guess we cant say that she wont make it...

tennisjay
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I agree this could be her year, I hope so.

Corswandt
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Amelie is perfectly Fit and we haven't heard of any injuries....

Yup. She's playing shite though.

Big Dav is the top contender for the AO title. She's #1 after all.

And I'm sure in the end Clijsters will play.

Tennisaddict
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I don't think Elena Dementieva can win the AO the top players won't let her she has beaten them before but she can't do it on a consistent basis. She's a sub-top player IMO.

Wojtek
Jan 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Men i think you were drunk posting this. Kim had injury and she was in the final in AO in 2003 she can do it again.
Only Petrova from your list has injury and she wasn't favourite to win GS anyway.

Kuznetsova is playing well in Australia and Myskina wasn't counting as title winner

I think Elena Dementieva is working very, very hard with her coach Vera Dementieva. :lol:

manu32
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
mauresmo,henin are not injured......

lizchris
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM
You want that?! :p

Just for the financial security.;)

Knizzle
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Out of Clijsters, Davenport, Henin, Mauresmo, Pierce, Serena and Venus she's only ever beat Davenport and Mauresmo at a slam, 2 players who are also struggling to win a slam. I'm sick of the Lena D talk, she needs some results soon or she and her game is all hype.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
If she can't serve properly, she can't win a slam.

Danči Dementia
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think she is able to win but you never know there is matches that she show an amazing level but in the other all the magic dissapear 4 example:USO: she played amazingly against Lindsay and then she lost to pierce another one:when she beat Kim at filderstad so you never know with her but it doesn't matter to me because she was is and will be my favorite tennis player and I will always suport her no matter what and really I believe this is year Lena will win a GS:roland garros or us open thats what I think and I hope :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
but the AO: I would love to but Ithink the heat really mess with her.

GO LENA WIN A GRAND SLAM AND COME BACK TO MEXICO :hearts: :kiss:

MisterMan
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I'll say it once again. I wrote "injured OR not playing 100%".
Nowhere did i say all those players are injured.

_LuCaS_
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Could be.
Reaching 2 GS finals shows she can do it.

hablo
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Allez Momo ! :devil:

borisy
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
ElenaD - the most overrated player on wtaworld...

frenchie
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Sorry but I don't think so (and I like her!)
We should wait if she wins her first 2 or 3 matches because she often struggles in her first rounds in Slams

Geisha
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Yes, it could be Elena's Grand Slam to win, but probably not. I mean, when was the last Slam when we DIDN'T have a non-injured player. Really - there are always a ton of questions and the lesser Top Ten players always get the, "It's her chance!".

At last year's US Open, people said Lindsay was coming in with a back injury and that she had too little practice. There was no sign of the injury at the tournament. Venus had influenza and was exhausted - no true signs of that during the tournament. Serena was out of shape - true, but pretty much lived up to her seeding. Kim was overplaying. Wrong. Justine was injured. Wrong.

I mean, when the Australian Open comes around, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Amelie, Kim, and Justine will still be around during the second week and none of them will have these chronic and nagging injuries - mark my words!