PDA

View Full Version : Anna begins 2006 in Hobart!

Shonami Slam
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Anna begins in Hobart, changing her usual scheduale from the last few years a bit.
She'll begin her search for the dozenth title against Laura Granville from the US.
It could be tough - Laura is a steady baseliner who hits pretty hard - but then again she isn't very succeful against other spin and slicers - so Anna should exploit that as much as possible.

also - Smashnova will be playing doubles with Uzbbek Akgul Ammanmuradova (does anybody remember when she last did that on a wtatour event?) and together they form an "odd couple" - Akgul is one of the tallest players on tour, we all know that anna is one of the smallest and together they have a nice package of power and speed, experience and youth.
Ironicly they will face one of the few even smaller girls on tour - Nuria Llagostera-vives and her compatriot Laura pous-tio.
they are the second seeds, but Anna is of course much better than her doubles ranking implies, as she barely plays.
I'll be very glad if Anna would give doubles a full chance for the year. i think it would only be of her benifit.
good luck darling!

Meteor Shower
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I was just about to post her draw

Her quarter:
SMASHNOVA Anna ISR(3) - GRANVILLE Laura USA
POUS TIO Laura ESP - JACKSON Jamea USA
SUCHA Martina SVK - KOSTANIC Jelena CRO
VESNINA Elena RUS - LLAGOSTERA VIVESNuria ESP(7)

I think granville good match-up for Anna and overall pretty good quarter, but it won't be easy. I think she will do well here, though a little lack of match-play.
Good luck Anna!

(I do think we should make thread for each turny though, it is her forum..)

King Aaron
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Tough opener against Granville. Personally I want Anna to win but Granville is a very very steady player on hardcourts. But if Anna plays well and frustrates Granville, she can win. :) Good luck!

And as for doubles, I'm very excited. Just the combination alone is exciting. I hope Anna and Akgul do well. :yeah:

Oh and Anna will have a thread for every tournament she plays in. Don't worry. ;)

King Aaron
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Anna lost to Granville in straight sets. Can't say I'm surprised. :( :sad:
On a brighter note, Anna and Akgul won their doubles match. :D :yeah:

King Aaron
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Anna and Akgul lost in doubles today. :(
Hope they pair up again in Australia (if their ranking allows). :)