PDA

View Full Version : I am totally confused about Shuai Peng

Jakeev
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Can somebody set my sorry butt straight about her? Is she a professional tennis player or an amateur? If she is an amateur, does this mean she did not win any of that prize money last year?

Second, I thought Peng was independent from the Chinese Federation? I remember seeing threads about this last year.

Please.......somebody set the record straight......

Orion
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:56 AM
She is a professional player, meaning she earns money for her wins, but she is required to return almost all of her money to the CTF. So, she isn't able to independently finance her tennis career. I think there's been a lot of speculation over her status, because she seems to have more problems with the CTF way of running things than any other player in China.

ashwu
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM
she do get her prize money, though only about 50%
she was with tianjin tennis association. they gave her financial supports so they took away some of her prize money.

ashwu
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:59 AM
but she is required to return almost all of her money to the CTF.
no, that's not true:)

The Kaz
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:06 AM
on the WTA website peng is an Amateur!

iPatty
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Then she's one heck of an amateur :bowdown: If she left the CTA, could she keep all of her prize money (barring taxes ;))?

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM
She's not pro yet but I dont know why....She's fairly independent of the CTA although they tried to change that she insisted on styaing relatively independent...

isabel_aussie
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Wow... I find this so tough on the Chinese girls :sad:. They have so many talented players but they keep having to miss so many major tournaments, no doubt Li Na and Peng Shuai could have reached a much higher Y-E ranking if they'd played the whole year...

creep
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Pengport