PDA

View Full Version : Agassi Withdrawal, Nadal / Safin Possible Withdrawal Probably Means More Women On TV

pierce0415
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
In the US, ESPN hardly ever shows any women's early round matches because they are too busy panting over Andy and Andre. Their new fave during the French was Rafael. Now with Andre and likely Rafael out, the hierarchy will probably look something like this.

Andy Roddick
James Blake
Robby Ginepri
Roger Federer
Maria Sharapova
Any Other American Man Still In Tournament
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Jennifer Capriati
Lleyton Hewitt
Marat Safin
Lindsay Davenport
Any Other Female Player in Tournament

Wiggly
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
No hierarchy will be:

Roddick LIVE
Roddick TAPED
Roddick INTERVIEW

All US men still on competition playing ona TV Court

Sharapova
Williams
Others top women

le bon vivant
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Oooh I love when Agassi doesnt play, tbnat automatically bumps Serena to the top of the list of who to show!

le bon vivant
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
As if they didnt show all of her matches anyway, LOL!!

le bon vivant
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
In the US, ESPN hardly ever shows any women's early round matches because they are too busy panting over Andy and Andre. Their new fave during the French was Rafael. Now with Andre and likely Rafael out, the hierarchy will probably look something like this.

Andy Roddick
James Blake
Robby Ginepri
Roger Federer
Maria Sharapova
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Jennifer Capriati
Lleyton Hewitt
Marat Safin
Lindsay Davenport

LMAO, they are not gonna play a Blake or Ginepri or a Dent match or a Federer match over a Serena match.

Brooks.
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
they always show every Serena match

php1
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
You must have missed the bus since 2003 because the McEnroe brothers have nothing to say except, "Federer is the classiest person alive! The best person to ever hold a racket! Everyone wants him injured!"

Arrogant, annoying jerkoffs.

If there's no Federer, they fawn over Agassi's 'charm' and 'best return game of all time'.
Cliff Drysdale refuses to shut up about Federer and the precious US Davis Cup team.
Old man should be tied to the net as the ladies smash him to death with their rackets.

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM
No hierarchy will be:

Roddick LIVE
Roddick TAPED
Roddick INTERVIEW

All US men still on competition playing ona TV Court

Sharapova
Williams
Others top women

You forgot about the numerous Roddick Fluff videos, tributes to Roddick, and Cliff Drysdale's second look into Roddick's game (or lack thereof to me).

Rexman
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
It's

1. Roddick live
2. Roddick taped
3. Roddick interview
4. Video replays of Roddick winning the U.S. Open
5. Tribute to Agassi, even though he's not there
6. Brad Gilbert talking about Roddick
7. Roger Federer
8. Videos on Roger's greatness
9. Williams, Sharapova, Davenport
10. Blake
11. Ginepri
12. Hewitt
13. Other American men
14. Complaining about Agassi not being there
15. Other American women
16. Clijsters
17. Pierce
18. Safin
19. Henin
20. A Russian woman

anthonyqld
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
We can only hope Hewitt loses first round so 7 doesn't crap on about him non-stop.

njnetswill
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Everybody knows that Cliff is in love with SAFIN, not Roddick! :p

I think they will show Hingis as well now...just too big of a story to throw into the Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Pierce tier of airtime for women.

Corswandt
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Another good thread.

I don't remember much from the Eurosport coverage of the US Open - namely, if they give priority to the men or not. I believe they showed several of Agassi's five setters, none of which I could be arsed to watch (life is too short).

My only guess is that Eurosport will go out of its way to show Hantuchova in the early rounds.

php1
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
They have delusions of Federer dancing ballet while cello music blares loudly.
If that's not enough, they want other players to listen to Federer's wonderful criticism of cowards who didn't play with injuries. Federer, Agassi and 15 WTA players will give the injury excuse each time they play badly.

James Blake's comeback is always on ESPN news. Brad Gilbert declares Agassi the best ball striker ever, and gives us reasons as to why Agassi shines over Roddick. Drysdale, Courier and the Mcs predictably bore us with their sick Federer lust.

php1
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Ljubicic and Safin can lose everywhere. They're in bed with Hewitt and Federer.

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:20 AM
We should see a lot of Lindsay, Martina, Venus, Serena (if she lasts), Sharapova.

But the way to ensure this is if Roddick loses early. Then we may still have to sit through featurettes about how he has lost his mojo. But those will almost surely be shorter than his actual matches. I'm hoping for Martina and Federer to play on opposite days...then I'm fine.

rhz
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I was gonna say...

It's going to be all RODDICK !! and all these American players!

Justeenium
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM
:retard: to all the Roddick hating morons in this thread

Natasc
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:32 AM
here will be all the south americans
Roddick
Sharapova
Hewitt
Sisters Williams

and the rest....

php1
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Federer, Hingis and Agassi are pretty fugly and smug like their fans. Envy's understandable.
They can win 100 matches and they're still not the most well-liked.

Natasc
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM
and I forgot to say...besides all the coverage for some stupids south americans I agree with the others!!

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM
You must have missed the bus since 2003 because the McEnroe brothers have nothing to say except, "Federer is the classiest person alive! The best person to ever hold a racket! Everyone wants him injured!"

Arrogant, annoying jerkoffs.

If there's no Federer, they fawn over Agassi's 'charm' and 'best return game of all time'.
Cliff Drysdale refuses to shut up about Federer and the precious US Davis Cup team.
Old man should be tied to the net as the ladies smash him to death with their rackets.

Dang, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooo right!!! It's like, shut up already... We need new commentators ..... My friend and I called them dumbmentators ... :lol:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM
If that's not enough, they want other players to listen to Federer's wonderful criticism of cowards who didn't play with injuries. Federer, Agassi and 15 WTA players will give the injury excuse each time they play badly.

James Blake's comeback is always on ESPN news. Brad Gilbert declares Agassi the best ball striker ever, and gives us reasons as to why Agassi shines over Roddick. Drysdale, Courier and the Mcs predictably bore us with their sick Federer lust.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Mightymirza
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Will they show Mirza???I hope they do...:D

faboozadoo15
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
as a sharapova and federer fan, i really don't care. all their matches get shown almost in full anyway...

cartmancop
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I won't argue if they show Federer, he is obviously the best current player & entertaining to watch... Roddick matches are usually not very entertaining, but I'll support him.

They will show Lindsay b/c they are probably thinking she's nearing the end of her career. & Martina b/c the comeback is interesting.. I don't have a problem with either of those two being shown...

My inner devil wants Nadal to w/d b/c I absolutely do not want to watch him push the ball back for 5 hours every other day...We get enough of that during any & every clay tournament we get to see.

V&S will be shown, no worries about that... however I am concerned that we may not see any non-american women not named Sharapova or Clijsters due to the newly found James Blake & Ginepri obsession :(

php1
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Federer and Sharapova matches are usually boring to me. I can't find an interview where he never boasts and overrates himself. He's uncreative and only his long arms and dexterity save him from losing bad matches. Federer's slices repeatedly and when he plays bad tennis, opponents are still so terrible that they give him the match.
Even Nalbandian has greater volleys and backhands. He can't win much because of weak serves.

Sharapova's grunting and game are bland. Old man Drysdale actually says, "She has a better backhand than the ATP men." He didn't remember her 0-6 0-6 loss and lack of wins.

LefandePatty
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Here I can expect watching ALL Rogi-Marti-Patty's matchs :angel:

:rocker2:

Andy_
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Federer and Sharapova matches are usually boring to me.

I agree... I'm not at all bothered by the abundance of Andy, Andre and James on TV, but I'd definitely do without some of the Sharapova super-hype, and I'd love not to have to hear all commentators drool over Federer's style and technique all the time :tape:

php1
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Tennis fans are incredibly afraid of saying the truth about Federer and Maria.
Roddick's main mistakes include bad fitness, stubbornness and poor coaching. He may finally fulfill his potential when he decides to go to Europe to learn real techniques. He's mostly babysitting his coach's son in the US and being a pedantic boy as Houston's Mattress McIngvale watches. :scared:

Meesh
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Will they show Mirza???I hope they do...:D

If it's a slow day.......and they are finished showing:
Andy live
Andy taped
Brad talking about Andy
Jim C. talking about how Safin has the perfect body :tape:

then and only then ........they will discuss the whole muslim thing , dress code for muslims, how she needs bodyguards when in India .........and one (QUICK) game of her match.

pav
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:49 PM
What a blessing not having endless TV time taken up with old barney rubble stepper, two hours of Conchi is better than five minutes of Andre

Spunky83
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Thank God we have Eurosport (german version) over here...that would be:

1) Federer
2) Roddick, Serena, Sharapova, Clijsters, Justine (and very likely Hingis now)
3a) A German player but only when you´re named ALG, Haas, Kiefer and playing an interesting opponent
3b) Mauresmo, Venus, a top Russian

ES tends to prefer women. I am always pretty satisfied with their coverage. Still waiting for the day they get Wimbledon as well (German sports tv only shows men and Sharapova)...uhh

harloo
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Why do you have to hate on the Fed Express? He is a tennis genius. I know the commentators are up his butt most of the time but he is a pretty classy guy.:angel: ;)

njnetswill
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Yawn. To the ESPN crybabies: you can always move to Britain where you can get a good does of Henmania and Murraymania 24/7. Or South America where they never focus on any player who's doesn't speak Spanish. Or try Eurosport, where American-player bashing seems to be their forte.

The early rounds in women's tennis is absolutely dreadful. I'd rather see a ton of Andre interview reels than another 6-2 6-0, 76 u/e WTA match.

This year that match will be Sprem vs Jankovic/Hantuchova. :devil: :angel:

-VSR-
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Roddick
Serena
Venus
Sharapova
Federer
Davenport

Ellery
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Andy Roddick
James Blake
Robby Ginepri
Roger Federer
Maria Sharapova
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Jennifer Capriati
Lleyton Hewitt
Marat Safin
Lindsay Davenport

Good analysis :lol: :)

Corswandt
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Still waiting for the day they [Eurosport] get Wimbledon as well (German sports tv only shows men and Sharapova)...uhh

Wimbledon this year overlaps the Football World Cup. AND the first week of the Tour de France. I have no idea what to do.

But since this World Cup, unlike 2002, will be on open aerial in Portugal, I suppose there's a (slim) chance our local cable SportTV will show some tennis. But usually, they only show tennis to plug gaps in their football broadcasts. They had the rights of at least some of the ATP Masters Series tournaments, but didn't show the finals because those fell on weekends, where most of the footy action is concentrated. They interrupted the live broadcast of the Masters Fed vs Nalbandian final to (I kid you not) show a football Division 2 match.

I became a tennis fan largely because the second channel of public aerial station RTP once (say 1993-1997) broadcasted full afternoons of Roland Garros and Wimbledon, from the earliest rounds to the finals (including doubles). How I miss having that (and the time to watch it) now.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM
i can't wait for serena and safin to return to top form.