PDA

View Full Version : Hingis's ranking level: about 20-25th

vogus
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hingis got a fortunate draw this week, playing players in the first 3 rounds who didn't really threaten her. Flavia was a level better than these other players and it seemed that she and Hingis are about even atm. So i think Hingis answered some questions - we can expect her to beat most players outside the Top 30. Against players between 15-30, her matches will probably be quite tough, and players inside the Top 15 should be able to handle her for now. The longer term question is how much will she be able to improve on a fairly promising start.

Buitenzorg
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
;)

Cp6uja
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hingis got a fortunate draw this week, playing players in the first 3 rounds who didn't really threaten her. Flavia was a level better than these other players and it seemed that she and Hingis are about even atm. So i think Hingis answered some questions - we can expect her to beat most players outside the Top 30. Against players between 15-30, her matches will probably be quite tough, and players inside the Top 15 should be able to handle her for now. The longer term question is how much will she be able to improve on a fairly promising start.

She have even #1 potentiality/talent but her giant pause and history of "allround" injuries at other hand speak as that she maybe never back even in TOP100! So, today is too early for answers... also i not agree that Penneta beat her because Flavia (right now) is TOP LEVEL in relation to Hingis. I know that she won yesterday match, but how explain 6:1 for Martina in 1st set?

jrm
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
The only way she can get 'about 20-25' is to play lower Tier tournaments ... playing bigger events automatically means playing a seed in r1 or r2!

Cris Senior
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Comment:
You ignore in your analysis a very important item: The Big-Star-Psych-Out factor which affects especially those of below rank 30 but who eventually will overcome it.Thus your forecast might be over optimistic. Even the other Martina has managed a couple of first R victories on this factor recently.

pcrtennis
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
She's going to be top ten by the end of the year...

Cris Senior
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Comment:
Yeah? Which year though? You better buy a comfortable chair to wait for this very unlikely event.
By the end of the year she might not be able even to walk.She is irresponsibly risking serious permanent injury in her ankles according to her own surgeon, but she is a very petulant narcissistic woman.

pcrtennis
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Comment:
Yeah? Which year though? You better buy a comfortable chair to wait for this very unlikely event.
By the end of the year she might not be able even to walk.She is irresponsibly risking serious permanent injury in her ankles according to her own surgeon, but she is a very petulant narcissistic woman.

Don't be so dramatic, she was given the all clear from several doctors and she herself feels comfortable playing again. She's a former number one with incredible talent. She'll be in the top 10 by the end of the year...THIS YEAR! ;)

CooCooCachoo
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM
25 seems about right.

Barlos
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
From her performance this week, including a domination of Pannetta in the first set and an eventual loss mainly due to her hip injury she's probably 20-25 quality already - could be higher, she hasn't played anyone in the top 20 yet so it's hard to say but she had Pannetta before she got injured. In fact, I've spoken to people who've seen all 4 of her matches who say her performance against Pannetta pre-hip injury was the best she played all week. I'd also blame fatigue but this is something she'll gradually overcome - you can't prepare for the physical and mental strain that a long match puts on you until you actually play them.

So, all things considered I think top 10 is a very realistic target for this year. I think she can do it. If she had a ranking now she'd already by 320ish ;)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Is it high enough for her though? I would think so. can't expect to be top 15 material when you first come back after 3 years

Billabong
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Exactly;) Top-25 is already very good for someone who hasn't played in more than 3 years in her very first tournament back;) She'll certainly continue to progress during the year, so who knows:D!

Darop.
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:03 PM
The matches she won aren't the only indicator of how good she is playing.

Hingis is an ex-world number 1, and players definitely brought alot of respect to her, and went on court a bit scared.

fammmmedspin
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
She's doing OK. Its only one week in and it takes a rising player who has just cracked the top 20 to beat her. Its better than that because Dinara, Francesca, Nadia and Patty all reminded us that the players in the top 20 lose to lower ranked players too - underachievement is common in the top 20 and, if Martina can get to the top 20, draws will still open up for her there. We have also already got two of the very top players injured just one week into the season - which also eases her opposition and reminds us how the top players have suffered lately.

More interesting though is why she ran out of steam. If its the natural consequence of coming back and playing a lot after being away, or a one off heat reaction like her AO final loss to Jencap, fine. if its a more general problem racing around at the required intensity for long enough she may have a problem or at least something to work on. Too early to tell by far there.

Cris Senior
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Don't be so dramatic, she was given the all clear from several doctors and she herself feels comfortable playing again. She's a former number one with incredible talent. She'll be in the top 10 by the end of the year...THIS YEAR! ;)
Oh yeah? Several doctors? OK.Which ones? List their names and post links to their "clearing" satements.Otherwise you are just a vulgar, common rumor monger.
In my case i am not beign "dramatic" , you condescending moron. I am talking about her own surgeon Dr Heinz Buehlman of the Bethanienheim Clinic in Zurich, the guy who actually opened up her ankles and looked inside them and knows what he is talking about as opposed to you, a cheap cheeerleader and gossiper!
In any event ,the "dramatic" surgeon is on record warning that if she comes back to pro level play she risks serious permanent injuries. If you don't believe me, call him at the clinic.It is as simple as that! You can also look in the web for his satements right after his last two operations.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
A healthy Hingis will be in the top 10 by the end of the year ;)

Gowza
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
one of my mates was at the match and said they thought hingis would have won had it not been for the hip injury, i think they may of been a bit biased although not sure. but i think hingis would have won if she didn't have the injury. i do think it's too early to tell thouhg, pennetta is 23rd in the world now that's pretty up there considering the current depth of the tour and if martina can compete with her i think we can say she should be able to compete with at least anyone outside of the top 20, we haven't seen her against a big power hitter so we don't know how she will go against anyone in the top 15/20. certainly would have been interesting to see her play schnyder or schiavone this week.

Cris Senior
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
A healthy Hingis will be in the top 10 by the end of the year ;)
Comment:
Another guy exhibiting great high powered reasoning. Another one above the rules of logical reasoning ,the concepts of proof, testing,evidence,etc.Awsome!
Where did you get that stupid pseudonym from? It sounds like a cross between a twist tonguer and Down Syndrome speech.

Andrew..
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Comment:
Another guy exhibiting great high powered reasoning. Another one above the rules of logical reasoning ,the concepts of proof, testing,evidence,etc.Awsome!
Where did you get that stupid pseudonym from? It sounds like a cross between a twist tonguer and Down Syndrome speech.
Hingis at her worst managed a top ten ranking in 2002. The tour hasn't changed much since then, and there's no reason why she can't get there again.

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah? Several doctors? OK.Which ones? List their names and post links to their "clearing" satements.Otherwise you are just a vulgar, common rumor monger.
In my case i am not beign "dramatic" , you condescending moron. I am talking about her own surgeon Dr Heinz Buehlman of the Bethanienheim Clinic in Zurich, the guy who actually opened up her ankles and looked inside them and knows what he is talking about as opposed to you, a cheap cheeerleader and gossiper!
In any event ,the "dramatic" surgeon is on record warning that if she comes back to pro level play she risks serious permanent injuries. If you don't believe me, call him at the clinic.It is as simple as that! You can also look in the web for his satements right after his last two operations.

You're weird....realllly weird.... :tape: :rolleyes: :tape:

vogus
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Comment:
You ignore in your analysis a very important item: The Big-Star-Psych-Out factor which affects especially those of below rank 30 but who eventually will overcome it.Thus your forecast might be over optimistic. Even the other Martina has managed a couple of first R victories on this factor recently.

could be, but i'd be more inclined to guess that if Hingy can beat the crap out of Vento-Kabchi, Koukalova, & co. coming straight out of a 3 year layoff, she'll be able to beat the crap out of them in the future as well.

Andrew, if you take away the AO final which imo was still leftover vestiges of the '01 Hingis, her '02 year-end ranking would have been around #25. That's where she left tennis, and it's where she seems to be coming back.

Cris Senior
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
You're weird....realllly weird.... :tape: :rolleyes: :tape:
When you get a brain and an education, one of the first things you'll learn is that one MUST substantiate the statements one makes wih facts and assorted evidence, otherwise they are meaningless and irrelevant. No body is exempted from that. So I"ll be waiting ,seating comfortably, for you to show evidence that I am "weird".
Hint: the reason I seem "weird" to you is that I have a brain and a first rate education .We are trying to talk at very different levels of speech. So it is natural for me to sound "weird" to your uneducated,ignorant self. Good luck moron!

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:47 AM
When you get a brain and an education, one of the first things you'll learn is that one MUST substantiate the statements one makes otherwise they are meaningless and irrelevant. No body is exempted from that. So I"ll be waiting ,seating comfortably, for you to show evidence that I am "weird".
Hint: the reason I seem "weird" to you is that I have a brain and a first rate education .So it is natural for me to sound "weird" to your uneducated,ignorant self. Good luck moron!

Hahaha...you take yourself wayyy too seriously... :tape: My only crime here in this thread is stating my belief that Hingis will return to the top ten. If you're expecting only substantiated comments and opinions on this TENNIS FORUM then you're going to be repeatedly frustrated... :lol:

Cris Senior
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Hahaha...you take yourself wayyy too seriously... :tape: My only crime here in this thread is stating my belief that Hingis will return to the top ten. If you're expecting only substantiated comments and opinions on this TENNIS FORUM then you're going to be repeatedly frustrated... :lol:
Wrong. I am no taking myself seriously...it is YOU I am not taking seriously.
On the other point, yes there are very good tennis conoisseurs here who do backup what they say with facts. It is only when arrogant, know-it-all ,ignorant teenagers become sole posters that it seems he whole Forum is like that. But do not worry, there are quite a few good brains here,although in declining proportions.

switz
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
i don't know i'm just going to wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

all i know is her won three matches pretty well in first genuine tournament in three years, and served for the match against a top 25 player at 6-1, 6-5. Even if there wasn't an injury i can forgive her for getting tight. If there was i think she's done very very well for herself.

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM
On the other point, yes there are very good tennis conoisseurs here who do backup what they say with facts. It is only when arrogant, know-it-all ,ignorant teenagers become sole posters that it seems he whole Forum is like that. But do not worry, there are quite a few good brains here,although in declining proportions.

WOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I guarantee I'm more "in the know" about tennis than you...and I could kick your ass in tennis as well!) ;)

Have a good day! :wavey:

vogus
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:04 AM

of course there are thousands of posters who don't contribute anything worth reading to the board - no secret there. I can't get them on ignore fast enough.

It does seem like there were more good posters on the board in past years, but i don't know if that's just an illusion of nostalgia on my part.

switz
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
i am very smart but my posts make me sound like i have a mental handicap :lol: oh actually english is not my first language :lol:

Cris Senior
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:11 AM
WOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I guarantee I'm more "in the know" about tennis than you...and I could kick your ass in tennis as well!) ;)

Have a good day! :wavey:
If you know ANYTHING about tennis please show us ! So far you sound like Mr Ignoramus. Again, you blockhead, do you ever show evidence for what you say? Or you think the rest of fhe world are idiots for you to bullshit around?

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:26 AM
This was my remark:

and this was your response...:
Comment:

I didn't attack anyone...I just stated my opinion ( positive one) and then you got all pissy(Clearly because you don't like Hingis)...You're just an asshole who likes to pretend that his tennis knowledge knows no bounds...get a life...

Cris Senior
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:39 AM
This was my remark:

and this was your response...:

I didn't attack anyone...I just stated my opinion ( positive one) and then you got all pissy(Clearly because you don't like Hingis)...You're just an asshole who likes to pretend that his tennis knowledge knows no bounds...get a life...
Who said you are attacking anyone? This is out of context.Acomplete non-sequitur But morons like you reason like this. The point is, thickhead, is that what you posted is mindless, boring cheerleading and nohing else since you don't provide any reasons and facts for that to be true and on the other hand you ignore medical science issues about Hingis emanating from her very own surgeon who had the immense privilege of opening her delicate ankles,look at heir insides, fixing them and them warning her about a returnto tennis. But for simple minded freaks this doesn't matter. She is gonna be top ten anyways.This is pure idiciocy not worth anybody's time. Go and learn something for God's sake! You are scary!

Mark for Martina
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Wow.. from no where to 20-25... who is this prodigy...? =)

Hope she recovers quickly... a lot of tickets have already been sold just to see you Martina! =)

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Who said you are attacking anyone? This is out of context.Acomplete non-sequitur But morons like you reason like this. The point is, thickhead, is that what you posted is mindless, boring cheerleading and nohing else since you don't provide any reasons and facts for that to be true and on the other hand you ignore medical science issues about Hingis emanating from her very own surgeon who had the immense privilege of opening her delicate ankles,look at heir insides, fixing them and them warning her about a returnto tennis. But for simple minded freaks this doesn't matter. She is gonna be top ten anyways.This is pure idiciocy not worth anybody's time. Go and learn something for God's sake! You are scary!

So you don't tolerate someone just saying GO Martina or Go Venus....you've got back up your cheering with facts?? That's rediculous....I've never encountered a poster as weird (My evidence of your weirdness lies in your above statement as well as all the others you've posted in this thread ;) ) You take yourself way too seriously and your language is borderline creepy...(ex. "emanating from her very own surgeon who had the immense privilege of opening her delicate ankles,look at heir insides, fixing them":tape:)

I've wasted too much time reading the drivel that you've been so arrogantly posting in this thread...GO MARTINA! TOP TEN THIS YEAR!!!!! :worship: :worship:

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM
very unusual reasoning happening here. One cannot judge how good a player is by simply looking at the scoreline. One thing is for sure, martina ia a unique player and until she plays the top tenners consistently we cannot judge round about where she should be ranked.
This week at the hopman cup, dulko beat gronefeld 6/1 6/0, does that relfect their ranking ability? hell no. gronefeld is ranked a few spots ahead of her.
martina beat her opponents by such an amazing scoreline this week. had lindsay or kim played those same players (just cos they are the top two players at the moment), i doubt the scoreline would have been any different. Even in her loss, hingis served for the match and was also carrying an injury, that makes a huge difference.
I reckon martina is playing very well, if she wasn't all her matches may have been 3 setters.

fanfromtoronto
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Hingis has no points to defend so top 10 is quite realistic. Depends on how the other players fair this year. Chances are Hingis might end up being ranked higher than the Williams sisters. As clay season hits, that will benefit Hingis' game.

Barlos
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:44 AM
It's interesting that Martina played her best tennis of the week in the match she lost, when she got injured the score was 6-1 4-4. This shows she was progressing especially as Pannetta is a far better opponent than those in her previous matches. She could be at top 10 standard fairly soon and may even have a shot at beating Justine in Sydney.

Jeff
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I'd also like to add what nobody else has yet, and that is that this is the beginning of the year. That means everyone is having a fresh start, despite the fact that the break is not so long. A lot of players take time to settle in and start playing their best tennis, so while martina has a lot of rust to shake off, the current players also have to settle into the new year. While I'm curious how she does at the Open, I'm also curious how she does at events like Indian Wells and Nasdaq, where players are beginning to reach their peak.