PDA

View Full Version : Stubbsy Comes Out

Postcard
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Good girl! :hearts:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/always-ready-for-a-serve/2006/01/06/1136387626879.html

"...Stubbs travels with her girlfriend of two years, a former US professional softballer, having shared a long-term relationship with her former doubles partner, Lisa Raymond.

It has only been relatively recently that Stubbs has fully embraced her sexuality, and she hopes that by speaking openly, it will help teenagers who might be grappling with gay issues.

"I always say to my friends, 'Wouldn't it be great if everybody who was gay said they were? If we said: February 21, or whatever, this is the coming out day. So, if you are, you have to come out to everybody you know'. It would be phenomenal.

"And it would be nice if everybody could just accept that it's not a choice, this is who you are. You would never, ever choose this, choose to be gay. It's such a difficult thing to deal with and coming out to people and talking about it, and coming out to your family.

"But I don't hide who I am any more. Everyone in the tennis world pretty much knows who's gay and who's not; the only reason I would like it spoken about publicly more is that I wish everybody would realise that, 'See all those people you admire? Out of 10 of them, four are gay, and I just want you to know that your child can still idolise them'."

Stubbs was 25, which is "old, in the terms of", as she puts it, when she had her first lesbian encounter, but she had long wondered, and thought "maybe". Still, it was not until more than five years later that she felt comfortable enough to be open about her lifestyle.

"I was like, 'I have to get over this, this is not a phase, this is not something to be embarrassed about, this is who I am and I'm not going to deny who I am', and I think this is the point you get to in your life.

"I'd just like to be a little bit more open about it now because I want some 16-year-old girl out there to think, 'It's OK'. All it is is somebody loving somebody..."

Sam's Slave
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
lol as if noone knew it...but yay rennae (for outing lisa too :lol: )

G-Ha
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM
well, congrats, i guess, but this is a bit like when ellen or rosie o'donnell came out...not really news...

tenn_ace
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM

exactly my thoughts... :lol:

Helen Lawson
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Is this like when Rosie O'Donnell came out?

Good for Rennae. I KNEW, KNEW, KNEW she was doing it with Lisa!!

CooCooCachoo
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
:lol: Lisa :hug:

Rennae :yeah: Makes me appreciate her more :) She's been very open and honest now.

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM
"And it would be nice if everybody could just accept that it's not a choice, this is who you are. You would never, ever choose this, choose to be gay. It's such a difficult thing to deal with and coming out to people and talking about it, and coming out to your family." :worship:

416_Man
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM
What a great article. If you want to be a hardcore fan, don't worry about going to the slams, just make sure you watch a Stubbs match before you die. What a legend.

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:38 PM
well, congrats, i guess, but this is a bit like when ellen or rosie o'donnell came out...not really news...

The fact that she said it is - there's a big difference between having something assumed and affirming somthing in a positive way, to saying "yes, I am"

Good for her (finally) - I just hope Lisa's ok with being outed like this :eek:

CooCooCachoo
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
The fact that she said it is - there's a big difference between having something assumed and affirming somthing in a positive way, to saying "yes, I am"

It isn't Rennae's own words saying she is gay though, so it may be the writer insinuating things :shrug:

hablo
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
:lol::tape:

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
It isn't Rennae's own words saying she is gay though, so it may be the writer insinuating things :shrug:

$5 says that's her story if Lisa objects, too :lol:

Possible, but unlikely (that the reporter made it up), imo, given the rest of the interview.

dav abu
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Well done Rannae for being so brave and so cool about being gay :bounce: yeh for Lisa too, what a cute couple :hearts:

auntie janie
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Yeah, me too! Lisa has always kept a seriously low profile with her personal life. I'd like to think that Stubbsy would not out her against her will, but you never know. :confused:

Aside from that issue: well done, Stubbsy. :yeah:

stubbsy71
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
God I'm so shocked .................... hehe

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
God I'm so shocked

I'm quite sure. :angel:

Did I miss it or did they not name her current gf? (seeing as "softball-playing lesbian" doesn't narrow it down much :lol: )

timafi
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

stubbsy71
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I play softball

Mike_T
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Forget Lisa, she’s outed FORTY PERCENT of the frigging Tour! :eek:

"But I don't hide who I am any more. Everyone in the tennis world pretty much knows who's gay and who's not; the only reason I would like it spoken about publicly more is that I wish everybody would realise that, 'See all those people you admire? Out of 10 of them, four are gay, and I just want you to know that your child can still idolise them'."
Her lawyer will be busy.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'm as straight as they come but have many friends who gay male and female and i say good on stubbs for coming out.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I think it's fantastic that Rennae decided to come out:worship: I love the fact she can't give a single interview without making some sort of controversial statement though lol.

-OUTING her ex-girlfriend, who is extremely closeted.:tape:
-Saying that four out of ten "idolised" tennis players are gay, ie 40% of the tour is gay. I wonder if Larry Scott will have anything to say about this.

Helen Lawson
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Does Damir Dokic know? Rennae played doubles with Jelena a few times. I think it would merit another Damir interview, at least.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Rennae we all knew. The tennis community is like a family. We always know when there's something special about our girls. ;)
Just like a family if uncle or auntie John or Jane hasn't been seen dating anyone of the opposite sex since senior prom and is still single at 30, we know that something is up.
Thanxs for outing Lisa even though mostly everyone knew.

Lisa's my girl and I'm a fan but I couldn't picture her with a dude ever for some reason.
I could picture her with Rennae. I seem to have reverse gaydar or something. I have an odd attraction to lesbians.

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I wonder if Larry Scott will have anything to say about this.

Doubt it, Larry will be on the floor for awhile on this one :tape:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Does Damir Dokic know? Rennae played doubles with Jelena a few times. I think it would merit another Damir interview, at least.

Oh Helen. That isn't how it works. Jelena can play "doubles" with Rennae.
It doesn't mean she's going to come to net more. Jelena likes it at the baseline. She enjoy counterpunching. Jelena might have played a bit of doubles but in the end Damir knows it was just a phase.

venus_rulez
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I didn't catch on that she was saying Lisa was also a lesbian, i thought it was being said that after having traveled with Lisa for a couple years, rennae is now travelling with her lover. :confused:

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
If she means 40 percent of the overall population is gay, she is wildly exaggerating. If she means 40 percent of the women on the WTA tour are gay, that I cannot either dispute or verify. But I have always suspected a lot more are gay than we knew. I have always suspected that any number of doubles partnership were formed because the two women were gay and involved with each other or wanted to be, and that many partnerships break up because the couple breaks up and find it impossible to go on playing together.

Which does bring up the issue of why she would "out" Lisa Raymond. NOt sure that was really necessary.

I also wonder if anywhere near 40 percent of the women on the tour are gay, does that mean athletic women have more male hormones than non-athletic women. Why would a larger percentage of women athetes be gay then women in the general population if there were not some physiological reason?

timafi
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaay Rennae :yeah: :yeah:
no wonder why lisa lives in that whole where she lives :tape: :tape:

hablo
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I also wonder if anywhere near 40 percent of the women on the tour are gay, does that mean athletic women have more male hormones than non-athletic women. Why would a larger percentage of women athetes be gay then women in the general population if there were not some physiological reason?

so you are asking/wondering/ implying if lesbians or women athletes have "more male hormones" ?

:spit: I've never heard of such a thing before, sorry :haha:

edit : hence the extra "male hormones" explaining sexual orientation !

Dana Marcy
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Good for Rennae! So nice to read she's happy. :)

Tratree
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Oh no she din't just out Lawsuit Lisa Raymond. :eek::tape::lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
If she means 40 percent of the overall population is gay, she is wildly exaggerating. If she means 40 percent of the women on the WTA tour are gay, that I cannot either dispute or verify. But I have always suspected a lot more are gay than we knew. I have always suspected that any number of doubles partnership were formed because the two women were gay and involved with each other or wanted to be, and that many partnerships break up because the couple breaks up and find it impossible to go on playing together.

Which does bring up the issue of why she would "out" Lisa Raymond. NOt sure that was really necessary.

So basically you're implying that Lisa has a thing for the Aussie accent.
Let's just look at a hypothetical from your statement.
Lisa wants to make the 2004 Olympic team. Martina contact Lisa from her gay connections and they play until after the US Open.
Lisa gets tired of the relationship and decides to do a little something something with Molik for a minute.
They're winners on the court but not off. Molik decides she's feeling a partnership with Kuznetsova instead.
They break it off.
Lisa decides that it's probably best to go back with Rennae.
The partnership just didn't work this time.
Lisa craves some different Aussie flava. She gets the connection from word of mouth from Gigi Fernandez.
Sam and Lisa are partners with Fernandez watching their progress on the court.
Yup. It seems like "Gays of Our Lives" to me. Hypothetically.

Sanneriet
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
so you are asking/wondering/ implying if lesbians or women athletes have "more male hormones" ?

:spit: I've never heard of such a thing before, sorry :haha:

Well, I can't say anything about lesbians, but I distinctly remember reading a study that said women athletes DO have a small, but statistically significant, greater amount of testosterone than non athletes. The study also went on the say that competition increases the level of testosterone in men and women. So they could not say which came first (more testosterone because of competition, or wanting to compete because you have more testosterone.)

hablo
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Well, I can't say anything about lesbians, but I distinctly remember reading a study that said women athletes DO have a small, but statistically significant, greater amount of testosterone than non athletes. The study also went on the say that competition increases the level of testosterone in men and women. So they could not say which came first (more testosterone because of competition, or wanting to compete because you have more testosterone.)
I didn't know that!!! cool.

I edited my original post! :p

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM
If she means 40 percent of the overall population is gay, she is wildly exaggerating.

I'm pretty sure she meant the tour, and I have no clue if she's right or not (although I have moments when I wouldn't mind doing the research :devil:

It wasn't.

Socialization? They don't worry about a boyfriend or a husband feeling threatened by either a strong woman, or one that won't like his honey making more money? Or some could be the WTA equivalent of a "4-year queer" as we called them in college?

And I'm not touching the doubles thing ;)

Dawn Marie
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
ATTA GIRL.:) congrats. This goes to show that Amelie is such a strong women. She never denied who she is. :)

now I want to know who all is gay that WE don't know about.. HEHEHEHE.:)

hablo
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Socialization? They don't worry about a boyfriend or a husband feeling threatened by either a strong woman, or one that won't like his honey making more money? Or some could be the WTA equivalent of a "4-year queer" as we called them in college?

can you elaborate ? :p

Sanneriet
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I think studies on sexuality are interesting and usually read them. Most studies (that I have seen) on homosexuality seem to be done on men. More and more of them seem to be pointing towards biological basis. The most recent on I read had to do with the effect of male pheromes on women, homosexual men, and heterosexual men. Women and homosexual men reacted to the pheromes in the same way (the same area of the brain was activated). Heterosexual men were unaffected. So the researchers thought they were on to something and attempted a similar study on women. The results were too ambiguous to be useful. Apparently, women's sexuality is far more complicated than men's (I did not need a study to tell me that). I think socialization might play a greater role for women than it does for men.

miranda_lou
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
If Lisa did not give her okay to be outed, shame on Rennae.:mad: That was totally unnecessary.

On the other hand, congrats to her for stepping out of that closet.:kiss:

But, I really don't understand why it's necessary to tell the world you are gay. People don't tell the world they are straight.:rolleyes: A person's sex life should be kept out of the newspapers.

But, with Rennae, only the Aussie press will care.:lol:

stubbsy71
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Perhaps she discussed things with Lisa first or perhaps Lisa is openly out anyway. Just because you don’t know doesn’t mean to say that Lisa isn’t happy with things. She lets not jump to any negative conclusions :)

yes_sir
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Well, i'm not really surprised.
Good luck to her.

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:49 PM
In a related story, a McDonald's Corp. executive revealed today that their "Secret Sauce" is really Thousand Island salad dressing. :rolleyes:

Was this the worst-kept secret in tennis, or was this the worst-kept secret in tennis?

Almalyk
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
That's good to hear that she is happy.

I'm still waiting foir Andy Roddick to come out too - me hopes he does it soon :)

Wiggly
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I hope Lisa was agree :lol:

Nice thing to do but 40% :eek: That's nearly 1/2 of the tour :eek:

raquel
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I agree with most people here who say it's not exactly a shock, but are happy for Rennae. I know when threads about gay players have been here, Rennae's name has always come up and I remember a couple of Rennae's fans getting pretty defensive about it.

Lisa might not be so happy with this though. Again, it was often assumed, but it should be her choice to announce it if she wants to.

pisces
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Live and let live?As long as your"ll happy.

LesViolettes
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Oh Helen. That isn't how it works. Jelena can play "doubles" with Rennae.
It doesn't mean she's going to come to net more. Jelena likes it at the baseline. She enjoy counterpunching. Jelena might have played a bit of doubles but in the end Damir knows it was just a phase.
Oh, you.

This is so not-news that I actually thought Rennae was already out. Well, never mind, nice to see that it's official.

anthonyqld
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
But, I really don't understand why it's necessary to tell the world you are gay. People don't tell the world they are straight.:rolleyes: A person's sex life should be kept out of the newspapers.

Players always tell the world they're straight. They talk about their partners all of the time.

JohnBoy
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Well that's news that has shocked the whole tennis community (LOL)
I very much doubt the 40% though, of the top 20 players only Amelie Mauresmo is out and I'm quite sure that the rest are straight but who knows and in reality who really cares !

Cilla
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Good for her, but I hope she did consult Lisa first.

tennis nut
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
like the article says, rennae is known best for her big mouth! i am sure that raymond will not be too happy with this. her personal life is her business- she has had plenty of chances (more than stubbs for sure!) to tell the press about her sexuality and she has chosen not to for one reason or another....again, it is her choice.

anyway, what kind of moron 'outs' someone? this type of behavior typifies stubbs's character.

my guess is that she is still bitter that she was dumped by raymond!!!!

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:56 PM
We all knew this!!!! I swear something was going on with her and conchita during Wimbledon 2004

JonBcn
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
You would never, ever choose this, choose to be gay.

That's right, because it's such a curse, and a cross to bear. :rolleyes: Sorry Rennae, perhaps you wouldn't, but personally I wouldnt change it for all the tea in China. No, it's not always easy, but it's not as if we're lacking one of our senses or limbs.

Declan
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yes, we've all known this for years, haven't we? What they call an 'open secret' in the tennis world. I do remember on here though, about a year ago,when one poster mentioned Stubbs as being gay, one of her fans was ouraged and declared unequivocally that she was straight, citing proof, referring to boyfriends etc. Wonder how she feels now?

JohnBoy
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:13 PM
That's right, because it's such a curse, and a cross to bear. :rolleyes: Sorry Rennae, perhaps you wouldn't, but personally I wouldnt change it for all the tea in China. No, it's not always easy, but it's not as if we're lacking one of our senses or limbs.

I suspect she is talking about the discrimination that we gay people face on a daily basis although things are improving.

I wouldn't change a thing either, never had issues with my sexuality !

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Oh, you.

This is so not-news that I actually thought Rennae was already out. Well, never mind, nice to see that it's official.

I thought she was out too.
Which players are actually out (not just well-known secret)?

Fat Frog
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Fair play to her..i liked the way she put it in that interview

TS
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I'd love to see Rennae in a cast reunion of Prisoner.

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Griffin: A WTA tour player I knew, one who played in main draws, actually won a tournament or two and was on the tour for eight years, told me that it is a very lonely life at times and some women become involved for the companionship, which might back up your college anology. Meaning, its situational, in some cases.

Wannabe: I haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about. I am not very knowledgable about Rennea and Lisa's history, but doubt that Stubbs being an Aussie figured into things one way or the other.

But I stand by my statement about doubles pairings. Once the element of romance is introduced within the tour, it is bound to impact thin.

ceiling_fan
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
apparently a lot of female tennis players are gay... correlation between that and....?

alfonsojose
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Taylor Dent is a lesbian then :p

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I hope she didn't out Lisa w/out her consent. I doubt it.

She said so well things many people just don't get; simple concepts that are nothing more or less than basic humanity.

alfonsojose
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Myskina/LenaD ;) :drool:

yes_sir
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
What did she mean by 4/10?

azinna
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Folks, it's actually not clear that Stubbs outed Raymond. It's the reporter who chose to write it in. No direct quotes from Stubbs. Wondering....

Anyway, good for Stubby.

esquímaux
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, not a big surprise, but *DEAD* @ outing Lisa :lol:

bis2806
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Lisa :eek:

Linnie
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM
:eek:

;)

:worship: Good on ya, Rennae :)

ktwtennis
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Sorry, but it IS a choice...I struggled with homosexual thoughts and have conquered them. I, along with many others, are living proof that there is a choice.

starr
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Good girl! :hearts:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/always-ready-for-a-serve/2006/01/06/1136387626879.html

"...Stubbs travels with her girlfriend of two years, a former US professional softballer, having shared a long-term relationship with her former doubles partner, Lisa Raymond.

It has only been relatively recently that Stubbs has fully embraced her sexuality, and she hopes that by speaking openly, it will help teenagers who might be grappling with gay issues.

"I always say to my friends, 'Wouldn't it be great if everybody who was gay said they were? If we said: February 21, or whatever, this is the coming out day. So, if you are, you have to come out to everybody you know'. It would be phenomenal.

"And it would be nice if everybody could just accept that it's not a choice, this is who you are. You would never, ever choose this, choose to be gay. It's such a difficult thing to deal with and coming out to people and talking about it, and coming out to your family.

Stubbs was 25, which is "old, in the terms of", as she puts it, when she had her first lesbian encounter, but she had long wondered, and thought "maybe". Still, it was not until more than five years later that she felt comfortable enough to be open about her lifestyle.

"I was like, 'I have to get over this, this is not a phase, this is not something to be embarrassed about, this is who I am and I'm not going to deny who I am', and I think this is the point you get to in your life.

"I'd just like to be a little bit more open about it now because I want some 16-year-old girl out there to think, 'It's OK'. All it is is somebody loving somebody..."

Was ther eanone who DIDN'T know Lisa and Stubbs were gay?

After all, Lisa's girlfriend was on TV all the time and the commentators said she was Lisa's girlfriend during ... I think the USO.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Lisa Raymond is gay also?! :speakles:
I did not kno !

DutchieGirl
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:55 AM
If Lisa did not give her okay to be outed, shame on Rennae.:mad: That was totally unnecessary.

On the other hand, congrats to her for stepping out of that closet.:kiss:

But, with Rennae, only the Aussie press will care.:lol:

People don't tell the world that they are straight, because the "world" assumes everyone is straight until they say otherwise... ;)

and as Rennae said...she's talking about it so that other gay people can see that it's ok to be gay. Which is why it should NOT be left out of the papers... it's not like Rennae's going around saying " oh I fucked so and so last night..." etc! ;)

Almalyk
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Sorry, but it IS a choice...I struggled with homosexual thoughts and have conquered them. I, along with many others, are living proof that there is a choice.

Well it might have been a choice you could make, but it's not that way for me. Speak for yourself, I can't and won't change, and I am happy with myself.

DutchieGirl
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Then you are choosing to repress your "gay" feelings, not choosing not to be gay! ;)

Almalyk
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Then you are choosing to repress your "gay" feelings, not choosing not to be gay! ;)

Exactly!

galadriel
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Stubbsy :hug:

mandy7
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM

congratz, you win the idiot of the week award :bigclap:

dav abu
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I would say the idiot of the year award already, well done :dance:

creep
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I kind of guessed she was lesbo.

saki
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:54 AM

And I'm not touching the doubles thing ;)

I think that's part of it, certainly. A WTA player can get companionship and understanding from another WTA player more easily than from anyone else. Even an ATP player isn't going to be around the same tournaments as much (apart from the Slams and Miami) or face the same sorts of pressures.

But it's also true that female athletes have more testosterone than 'normal' women and that higher levels of testosterone have been linked to lesbianism. The studies I've seen show a correlation rather than a correspondance but I think there's something in it and it makes a certain amount of sense that it might be the case.

Not that that's hugely important. I'm glad Rennae finally came out - nice interview too. :)

gRaFiC
Jan 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM

oooh good grief...

Purple_Llama
Jan 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Kudos to Rennae for being so open & honest :)

vettipooh
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
She was never in the closet!!! :) Neither was Lisa! Kudos to her for speaking publicly on it. :bigclap: Think Lisa will now out her dubs partner? ;)

Nicjac
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM
She was never in the closet!!! :) Neither was Lisa! Kudos to her for speaking publicly on it. :bigclap: Think Lisa will now out her dubs partner? ;)

If she never was in the closet, she would have talked publicly about this ages ago. Not just with her close friends.

Well, I really hope she talked to Lisa first. Talking about your sexual preference is one thing, talking about others should be their thing.

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Good on her :)

Nicjac
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Good on her :)

Good for her ;)

Kart
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good for her.

It's nice to see that she's comfortable with herself :).

drake3781
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
WHich Players are OUT OF THE CLOSET (list please).

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova
3. who else???????????????

ToeTag
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Out of 10 of them, four are gay I don't believe that!! Sounds like nonsense, and I'm sure the rest of the tour doesn't appreciate HER assumptions!

Purple_Llama
Jan 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova

Mauresmo. Jana Novotna was too.

$pencer
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Totally agree. She sounds like she'd obviously prefer to be straight and it's as if she's reassuring people who may not be OK with gay people that "I'm gay but don't worry, I'm suffering for it".
This is gonna sound very "self help book" but I think you need to love yourself and not regret what might have been and not feel you need to justify being gay. Until you totally embrace it you're going to be unhappy and she still sounds like she's not happy with it. It's not a surprise to me then that it's taken this long for her to accept it and go public.

drake3781
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Mauresmo. Jana Novotna was too.

How could I forget? :o

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova
3. Mauresmo
4. Novotna
5. who else???????????????

$pencer
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I totally disagree. I see your signature has biblical quotes and a quote about how we can all save ourselves from hell so was it sheer fear of hell and a strong religion that made you conquer these thoughts? What would you say to someone who is gay and can't simply "conquer" the thoughts?? Live a straight life, a lie and be miserable?? That would be the real hell.

tennis nut
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
:mad: and why would Stubbs out lisa and not out her own girlfriend....seems strange she is ok with outing Lisa..apparently Stubbs is so proud of who she is and she is totally OK with it - but fails to name the love of her life. any ideas on the girlfriends name??

again..clearly Lisa would be very unhappy about stubbs going to the papers, i'm pretty sure they dont even speak to each other anymore :fiery: :fiery:

TS
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Why does it matter what her girlfriends name is? We don't know her, that's probably why.

We do know who Lisa is on the other hand ;) Hence all the excitement and drama in here.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM
:mad: and why would Stubbs out lisa and not out her own girlfriend....seems strange she is ok with outing Lisa..apparently Stubbs is so proud of who she is and she is totally OK with it - but fails to name the love of her life. any ideas on the girlfriends name??

again..clearly Lisa would be very unhappy about stubbs going to the papers, i'm pretty sure they dont even speak to each other anymore :fiery: :fiery:

Maybe Lisa really doesn't care. i am sure if she did then Stubbsy would not have said anthing. I am sure at 32 years old Lisa has very little to hide. I would think she is very PROUD of who she is at this point in her life .
Also..i would think that they still speak as they played a couple tourneys together last year :D

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM
anything to get yourself in the papers aye stubbsy

pav
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM
So Rennae said She's a lessie
and that Lisa is gay
She's not telling Us nothing
We don't know anyway
I mean, it's not much of a shock
that They both spurn a stiff cock
now if She told us Navratilova
is going to Marry someone named Gregg
or that old Momo's as straight
as Her pet dog's hind leg
well then I'd take notice
and My eyes might just pop out
at the thought of Navratilova or Momo
being put up the spout
but the very worst announcement
for Me anyway
would be a press release from Flavia Pennetta
stating She had just bloody turned Gay
now that would cause Me depression
I'd toss and turn in my sleep
and might stop Me forever
from lusting after a sheep :sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM
and that Lisa is gay
We don't know anyway
being put up the spout
for Me anyway
from lusting after a sheep :sad:

:haha:

bionic71
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Rennae never kept her sexuality secret.....she just chose not to discuss it in the public arena until now. This disclosure is no surprise to her family, friends or those who she felt needed to now that she was gay.

She didn't have to do it...but as she said, it is great for young people (or anyone of any age struggling with their sexuality) to see positive gay role models.

stubbsy71
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I was thinking, about 6 months ago Lisa and Rennae did an article. In many ways Lisa outted herself then. It was an article for "THE BULLETIN" in Australia last July....... it was written by Julia Leigh and it was a big spread in that magazine.......Lisa did the interview for it and was fine with it

..........ITS ALL HERE!! Bulletin - Wimbledon (http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/site/articleIDs/2E00E9C39398457DCA2570170083C139)

stubbsy71
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Look at this for example......... The tournament in Melbourne was an important one for Stubbs. Not only was it a grand slam, on her home ground, but January 2005 marked a reunion with her former partner, and lover, the American Lisa Raymond...................

So really it's old news and it clearly shows that Rennae did not do the dirty on Lisa. I hope this clears it up once and for all. Blame the Bulletin if you must blame anyone ;)

timafi
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM
i don't give a rat's ass who's gay and who's straight as long as they play :) :)

Almalyk
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM
i don't give a rat's ass who's gay and who's straight as long as they play :) :)

Same. I just wish Roddick would hurry up and come out. :drool:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I was thinking, about 6 months ago Lisa and Rennae did an article. In many ways Lisa outted herself then. It was an article for "THE BULLETIN" in Australia last July....... it was written by Julia Leigh and it was a big spread in that magazine.......Lisa did the interview for it and was fine with it

..........ITS ALL HERE!! Bulletin - Wimbledon (http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/site/articleIDs/2E00E9C39398457DCA2570170083C139)

The article is FANTASTIC. I was fuckin' dying reading it.:lol: Rennae is great.

An incident comes to mind (recounted when I asked about tubing, a favourite junior pastime: that is, trying to deliberately drill a ball through a player, thereby leaving a “tube”). She and Raymond were playing Jelena Dokic and Conchita Martinez. In the second game of the match, Stubbs says she accidentally hit Dokic with a volley; the ball hit her on the back and went out. But the umpire didn’t see it and called the score against Stubbs, thinking the ball was out. Stubbs told the umpire that the ball had hit Dokic but Dokic denied it. “I was livid,” says Stubbs. “Beyond belief.” It got to 5-3, set point. “I had a sitter overhead, I was running forward and all I wanted to do was tube her. I had no intention of winning the point, the set, just to hit her. That was my goal. I had already planned in my head to say, ‘Did that hit you, you little bitch’:tape: but instead I missed the overhead, we lost the game, we lost the set, we lost the match. I learnt one of the biggest lessons of my life after that: a) there’s no point in hitting somebody, the point is to win the match because that’s the ultimate fuck you, and b) I will try not to lose my temper so that it hinders the way I play.”

“I used to have that old Slazenger Panther,” she says. “I would hurl it at the back fence, I would smash the living hell out of it, I would throw it in the net. The best one was throwing into the wire fence, so it would slide back down – that’s when Mum gave me the disapproval. I used to whack it against the court, I still do that but I try not to in case I miss my foot and actually hit my toe – which I’ve seen people do. I used to hit my thigh so hard. I used to PUNCH the strings.” Did she swear? “I cannot repeat some of things I used to say on the court,” she says. “The one I used to say all the time was, ‘Fuck me up the arse’. I was probably 13, I didn’t even know what that was.”

foreva lindsay
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
awwww Rennae and Lisa made such a nice couple i thought :hearts:

Rennae still rocks :rocker2:

foreva lindsay
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Same. I just wish Roddick would hurry up and come out. :drool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Well I'm not very surprised here as I already heart from a player that she witnessed them french kissing in Quebec City's player's room ;)

I'm pretty sure Lisa was ok with it. Anyways, it was so obvious in the AO 2004 where she beat venus, they were always showing her *partner* or *close friend*, it was getting pretty clear. KNowing that Mary Joe is very close to the group, I'm pretty sure she knew it and knew it wasn't really sthing important in Lisa's view.

stubbsy71
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Rennae still rocks :rocker2: Indeed she does :worship:

ae wowww
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I think it is a great thing she has done, for sure the right thing. I love the fact she is doing it officially in the hope that it will help teenagers, and anyone undecided.
What a legend :D

JonBcn
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Does it really help a teenager to hear a woman in her thirties harp on about how hard it is to be gay, and how she's finally ready after all these years to talk about it etc etc..?

I'm happy she's happy, and her heart is obviously in the right place, but she sends pretty mixed signals if you ask me.

Dahveed
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM
But er who knows who she is except die hard tennis fans anyway? :confused:

Mike_T
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM
So Stubbsy is a Lesbian, and so is Lisa, and 40% of the tour. She’ll be informing us the Pope’s a Catholic next.

BREAKING NEWS: Iroda Tulyaganova and Jelena Dokic have also ‘come out’, saying they are straight, yes, STRAIGHT!! There’s also a rumour going round that as much as 5% [yes FIVE %] of the tour could also be straight. Unbelievable, but true. :eek:

hotandspicey
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Good for her. She finally put an end to all the speculating.;)

esquímaux
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Then you are choosing to repress your "gay" feelings, not choosing not to be gay! ;)*DEAD...... so *DEAD*

esquímaux
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
and that Lisa is gay
We don't know anyway
being put up the spout
for Me anyway
from lusting after a sheep :sad::lol: @ spurn :)

Jeff
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Am I the only one who didn't know Lisa Raymond was gay? Well, of course I had an assumption, but not really. I did more about Rennae for some reason, and it never crossed my mind that they were together. I'm guessing that's why their doubles partnership faded for a while?

tennisvideos
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I totally disagree. I see your signature has biblical quotes and a quote about how we can all save ourselves from hell so was it sheer fear of hell and a strong religion that made you conquer these thoughts? What would you say to someone who is gay and can't simply "conquer" the thoughts?? Live a straight life, a lie and be miserable?? That would be the real hell.

I agree with you $pencer ... well said.

As for having a choice ... I am pretty sure that most gays do NOT have a choice in their persuasion. It is simply the way it is. Just as most straight people do not have a choice in their persuasion. I know I didn't have a choice in my sexuality. The great thing is that I had a choice in accepting it and learning to be happy with it. I think that is more the key issue IMO. :)

Purple_Llama
Jan 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
[QUOTE=drake3781]How could I forget? :o

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova
3. Mauresmo
4. Novotna
5. Gigi Fernandez

DutchieGirl
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM
*DEAD...... so *DEAD*

hopefully you mean you and not me! :p

Virginia Wade
Jan 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova

I love my closet. It is a mahogany antique...

Cliodhna
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Good for Rennae, its such a pity things didn't last between her and Lisa, does anyone know has Lisa moved on too???

PamShriverRockz
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I wish Rennae all best, good on her.

stubbsy71
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm just pleased Rennae is happy and that she's moved on from Lisa. Much better off without her

PamShriverRockz
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm just pleased Rennae is happy

Yes that's great :)

Rtael
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=drake3781]How could I forget? :o

1. Stubbs
2. Navratilova
3. Mauresmo
4. Novotna
5. Gigi Fernandez

Isn't Conchi out, too?

saki
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I'm just pleased Rennae is happy and that she's moved on from Lisa. Much better off without her

Weren't you the Stubbs fan who insisted and insisted that you knew her personally and knew that she had a boyfriend and had seen a letter to/from him or something? I was just curious whether you said all that to 'defend' her or whether you actually thought it.

stubbsy71
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Yes you are correct. I met Rennae in 1992 at the Fed Cup in Germany and we have been in contact ever since. I even named my daughter after her. I did receive a letter from her shortly after our first meeting in 1992 where she talked about her boyfriend.

Rennae's private life is private and she would not have not appreciated me discussing her relationship with Lisa on the this board. I would not of done so without her permission. So yes I have been defensive about it in the past, but I have openly talked about it with people (from this board) that I have met at tournaments and also in private emails.

Rennae did not "out" Lisa, but the reporter who wrote the Bulletin article did. Lisa knew the reporter was going to say Rennae and Lisa had been together and she did not ask the reporter not to include her name. She read it, and was ok with it. So I just want people to stop pointing the finger at Rennae and making her out to be the bad one and Lisa the saint.

Sonja
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I hope she get positive encouragement from her family/friends/peers, etc. I'm sure this was a big step for her. I think she's a kick-ass tennis player and wish her every happiness.

Purple_Llama
Jan 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Purple_Llama]

Isn't Conchi out, too?

I don't think so. She was "outed" in a book a few years ago now & her prior relationship with Gigi is public knowledge,but she hasn't come "out" & said so herself...yet ;)

Who was the player who was with Amelie a couple of years ago too? I forget now.

SelesFan70
Jan 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
:)