PDA

View Full Version : Match Reports from HK! (I'm there)

Williams Rulez
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
hey everyone... i've actually been in hong kong these past few days watching all the matches. its been really great, and i even got a picture with Serena! :)

anw... i'll get to the things tt you guys wanna know...

Firstly, serena has injured her left knee. it was quite obvious during the elena-serena match up. it affected her serve, as she wasn't really serving tt hard throughout the match... and she kept touching her knee as well... :( elena was playing really well, striking the ball well, and really moving great. her shots on the run are really amazing... so hard!

2nd, elena's serve has improved!! although she still throws in double faults, her placement is better now. she actually can serve down the line on the deuce side and out wide on the ad side, so tt's good news for her fans! however, when it gets tight, she stills throws in DFs... like against kim, and on match point too!

also, venus has injured her left hip if i remember the correct side. against sania, she had trouble getting her serve going as well, hitting quite a few double faults before she took her injury time out. she wasn't really moving tt well, and didn't really seem to run for too many shots...

alrite, i shall stop for a while, will give more detailed match reports in a while...!

Williams Rulez
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
abt the players:
lindsay and kim are probably the nicest. they sign a lot after their matches, and during autograph sessions, they're really really friendly, they chitchat with you and actually smile a lot! :) nicole just storms off after she loses, venus signs a few sometimes, but doesn't seem to like signing a lot. serena is quite generous! giving away her racket after the doubles. serena seemed rather dazed during the autograph session, like she took my friends book, and then stared at her own picture for really long b4 signing it. it was so hilarious!

lindsay vs nicole match report:

both women can serve really well. heavy hard serves, even the 2nd serves. difference is tt nicole can't really read where lindsay's shots are going, often left stranded in the middle of the court, not knowing where to run. also, nicole can't return lindsay's serve... and tt explains the scoreline. nicole really had to play her best to even win points off lindsay... i was really impressed by lindsay during the match! she was striking the ball really cleanly and really hard towards all the lines... and all her balls are consistently so deep, putting nicole in a lot of pressure

nicole vs sania

sania seems to have slimmed down! she's moving faster than in the past, but her serve is still quite weak, esp when u compare it to nicole's. it cost her the match i think, cuz nicole was able to put a lot of pressure on the return. her 2nd serves esp, they bounce really high up! this match was a really rowdy one, with all the indian fans making a lot of noise! the calls were quite dubious, and sania got angry, and scolded the umpire. she said, "you know, they put you in the chair for a reason, to look at the lines, not to look at our faces." and one point, the umpire, after nicole thot tt she had won the game with an ace, the umpire suddenly called fault after a long while. then she had a 2nd serve, which she DFed, then she went on to serve an ace, where she stayed in the middle of the court for a while, and gave a quizzical look, then asked the umpire, "do i have to wait for a call, or do i go on?" the match was quite exciting, due to the atmosphere... sania hits quite hard, and nicole slightly less hard, but still, hard all the same.

40-0
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
thanx:)

lukehingis
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Who's autograph did u get?? ;)

Pengwin
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've never seen LenaD serve so good and with so much confidence on second serve, I'm very happy for her! :D

New
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Very nice! Thanks!:D

Veenut
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Enjoyed your great reporting!

lauryn
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reports!

lol@Nicole :lol:

pisces
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Can"t wait ,to see your picture with SERENA. Hurry hurry. please!lol,please please

auntie janie
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I am very, very sorry to learn about Serena's knee. :( But LOL @ her staring at her pic! That's cute. :lol:

wateva
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:25 AM
:hehehe: i hope u got all 8 players' autographs!! :p (extra ones also!)

vwfan
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
what happened during the Lindsay v. Venus match. Was Venus just way off or injured or both?

bis2806
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Venus played fine, and she didn't look injured. Lindsay was just better yesterday.

gsm
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM

gsm
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:45 AM
and sania got angry, and scolded the umpire. she said, "you know, they put you in the chair for a reason, to look at the lines, not to look at our faces." and one point, the umpire, after nicole thot tt she had won the game with an ace, the umpire suddenly called fault after a long while. then she had a 2nd serve, which she DFed, then she went on to serve an ace, where she stayed in the middle of the court for a while, and gave a quizzical look, then asked the umpire, "do i have to wait for a call, or do i go on?"
:eek: :lol: :eek: :lol:

bis2806
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Just to add in...

This match was hilarious! Sania was blaming the umpire for "not watching the ball" and told him to "not watch their (the players') faces." At one point earlier, she questioned her first serve that was called out and asked the umpire if he saw the ball. The umpire was dumb too because he didn't really respond to Sania. So she said "No? Maybe?" and laughed it off, embarassing the umpire. Later on in the match there were also close calls that went against Sania, and she screamed because of it. She looked at the umpire when the point was over and walked past him. She tapped the strings of her racket on the net pole and stared at the umpired, drawing much laughter from the crowd :lol:

Nicole also bitched at the umpire. After she served to go into a tiebreak - and there was no call for a while - everyone, including her, thought the point was over and a tiebreak was going to begin. Nicole was ready for the changeover. All of a sudden the linesman said "OUT", prompting the umpire to say "fault." Nicole couldn't believe it, and she walked towards the umpire with a shocked look. Then she said "Yeah, like FIVE minutes ago?!" :lol:

At the end of the match when Nicole was signing autographs, she had my sharpie :o When I asked for it back (after numerous autograph signing) she said something like "Sorry, sorry, I stole your pen, Sorry Sorry!" I didn't know if she was being sarcastic or what. But someone laughed at it. Anyways, that was the last match of the night when I was starving. The cold weather also didn't help. I really underestimated the weather here.

new-york
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Nicole also bitched at the umpire. After she served to go into a tiebreak - and there was no call for a while - everyone, including her, thought the point was over and a tiebreak was going to begin. Nicole was ready for the changeover. All of a sudden the linesman said "OUT", prompting the umpire to say "fault." Nicole couldn't believe it, and she walked towards the umpire with a shocked look. Then she said "Yeah, like FIVE minutes ago?!"

:lol: :lol:

Diesel
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks Williams Rulez for your fair and balanced reports on all the players. It's truly appreciated :yeah:

Sabatinifan
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:23 AM
thanks bis and wil-rul great reports, sania and nicole sound like they are very entertaining.

xin_hui
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:33 AM
XQ! did u get kim's autograph for me?;)

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM
This is the most boring tournament EVER - it amazes me what some players are willing to do for apperance money.
I saw some of it on tv - the crow are like so silent - you could hear a pin drop - there's zero excitment on the center court - the court is so pale you can barely see the ball - the players are like wearing long shirts and pants it looks so bad.
The temperature in China is like 4C - some spectators are covered in blankets LOL.
What kind of a preparation is that for Australian summer.
Why didnt they just come to Australia and played one of 6 or 7 events taking place here - instead they chose gloomy dark freezing Hong Kong over the beautiful sunny Gold Coast - I know tge others are suckers for apperance money - but I expected much more from Kim Clajsters.

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Thats very rude from Sania - these youngsters really dont show respect - I'm glad Ana is so sweet and wouldnt be bitching like that.

wateva
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:38 AM
This is the most boring tournament EVER - it amazes me what some players are willing to do for apperance money.
I saw some of it on tv - the crow are like so silent - you could hear a pin drop - there's zero excitment on the center court - the court is so pale you can barely see the ball - the players are like wearing long shirts and pants it looks so bad.
The temperature in China is like 4C - some spectators are covered in blankets LOL.
What kind of a preparation is that for Australian summer.
Why didnt they just come to Australia and played one of 6 or 7 events taking place here - instead they chose gloomy dark freezing Hong Kong over the beautiful sunny Gold Coast - I know tge others are suckers for apperance money - but I expected much more from Kim Clajsters.
u know, there are other factors like quality of opponents? and the restrictions of the top players? u know that the top players can only enter a limited number of tier 3s? and why would they wanna play with opponents they know they can beat even with one hand? do not jump to conclusions and start pointing fingers because u are not in their shoes.:rolleyes: let's see what u will say when ana announces she'll be playing there one of these years. :retard:

lukehingis
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:52 AM
u know, there are other factors like quality of opponents? and the restrictions of the top players? u know that the top players can only enter a limited number of tier 3s? and why would they wanna play with opponents they know they can beat even with one hand? do not jump to conclusions and start pointing fingers because u are not in their shoes.:rolleyes: let's see what u will say when ana announces she'll be playing there one of these years. :retard:

I agree... HK is actually quite warm at the moment and the quality of the field is actually pretty high considering 3 of the 4 slam champs of 2005 are playing as well as the world's #1. Players are assured not only a good paycheck, but they are also allowed to have good match practice with quality opponents without the pressure of it being a WTA event...

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:54 AM

No - Ana Ivanovic will not go down that low.
Next Year she's playing Hopman Cup again - the greatest tournament in the world.
btw, any of those players could have played Gold Coast - like Sharapova was going to do - but why bother if the prize money is only like 25-30 grand and apperance money at this crapy event is like $100,000.

Chance
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Hopman Cup is an exhibition tournament as well.

thanks for the report guys :)

wateva
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Next Year she's playing Hopman Cup again - the greatest tournament in the world.
btw, any of those players could have played Gold Coast - like Sharapova was going to do - but why bother if the prize money is only like 25-30 grand and apperance money at this crapy event is like $100,000.
the greatest tournament in the whole world? u have to be dreaming. how many slams did the female players in hopman cup win? a grand total of 1! compared to hongkong, it's like comparing a grand slam with a tier 3. and the players playing in hong kong (except venus) had never played in gold coast. so why bother doing so this year? are there more points awarded this yr? the quality of the field is better? u know, those player playing in hk probably earned enough to spend for the rest of their lifes. appearance fees is probably the last thing on their mind. like i've said before, QUALITY is their utmost concern. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:13 AM
the greatest tournament in the whole world? u have to be dreaming. how many slams did the female players in hopman cup win? a grand total of 1! compared to hongkong, it's like comparing a grand slam with a tier 3. and the players playing in hong kong (except venus) had never played in gold coast. so why bother doing so this year? are there more points awarded this yr? the quality of the field is better? u know, those player playing in hk probably earned enough to spend for the rest of their lifes. appearance fees is probably the last thing on their mind. like i've said before, QUALITY is their utmost concern. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, Hopman Cup is an exhebition - but its played in Australian heat, it prepares the players extremly well for the year ahead. It's so exciting to watch especially the mixed doubles. lol
All the greatest players have played HC and continue to do so.
The quality of the field at this yrs Gold Coast was excellent Safarova would have crushed Venus 60 60 - Hingis would have too. "Quality" plz - Venus doesnt even try to play her best - she looks so sluggish - Serena come over there to just collect the apperance money LOL - then pretends to be sporting an injury and cant play like she's been doing for the past few yrs.
And then you have ppl like Mirza, Zheng,Vaidisova pff - give me a break.
The only "quality" player there is Kim so its really strange that she would do such a stupid thing as to play this really boring event.

wateva
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Yes, Hopman Cup is an exhebition - but its played in Australian heat, it prepares the players extremly well for the year ahead. It's so exciting to watch especially the mixed doubles. lol
All the greatest players have played HC and continue to do so.
The quality of the field at this yrs Gold Coast was excellent Safarova would have crushed Venus 60 60 - Hingis would have too. "Quality" plz - Venus doesnt even try to play her best - she looks so sluggish - Serena come over there to just collect the apperance money LOL - then pretends to be sporting an injury and cant play like she's been doing for the past few yrs.
The only "quality" player there is Kim so its really strange that she would do such a stupid thing as to play this really boring event.
yah right. hopman cup is played indoor if u dun know. i'm not going to argue with u anymore because u obviously dun know what u r talking abt since u got the most simple fact wrong.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

xin_hui
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:34 AM

when did hopman cup become the greatest tournament in the world?:rolleyes: and look at its field this year, would you call them quality? name ANY current female top 10 player in this year's field?:rolleyes: cant name one? and hopman cup is played INDOORS! is it really similar to the conditions in melbourne? HELL NO

Any top player in her sane mind will go for HK over hopman cup, or just any other tournament simply because of the field. Just because Ana didnt get invited:rolleyes:

and stop spoiling XQ's thread :mad:

Mightymirza
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
yah right. hopman cup is played indoor if u dun know. i'm not going to argue with u anymore because u obviously dun know what u r talking abt since u got the most simple fact wrong.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
True...He could have checked the temperature of HK atleast b4 saying 4 degrees..LOL..No point arguing...

New
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM

What is wrong with them may I ask??? :rolleyes:

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM
when did hopman cup become the greatest tournament in the world?:rolleyes: and look at its field this year, would you call them quality? name ANY current female top 10 player in this year's field?:rolleyes: cant name one? and hopman cup is played INDOORS! is it really similar to the conditions in melbourne? HELL NO

Any top player in her sane mind will go for HK over hopman cup, or just any other tournament simply because of the field. Just because Ana didnt get invited:rolleyes:

and stop spoiling XQ's thread :mad:

This years field was awsome - we got to see the greatest players of the future Anna Lena Gronefeld, definetly Michale Krajcek she'll be top 10 in no time and ofcourse Ana Ivanovic - it was an amazing tournament with the most exciting and entertaining doubles matches I've ever seen. It was an awsome filed - seriously who the hell wants top watch Davemport and the Wiliams sister for ever. The conditions inside Burswood Dome were exacly like the conditions in Melbourne - it was EXTREMLY hot, sweltring, humid - the players were just sewating their butts off - especially Kuznetsova and Yuri.
While in Hong Kong every player is wearing jumpers, pants and look like they're playing Siberia Open. lol
Ana is a patriotic women she would do anything to represent Serbia and Montenegro with Novak Djokovic and she'll do the same thing next year - it should be other way around - most of the girls playing there would kill to play Hopman Cup, OK - it has the GREATEST thophy in the history of tennis and thats a fact.
and I can express my opinion its not Nazi Germany.

xin_hui
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
It was an awsome filed - seriously who the hell wants top watch Davemport and the Wiliams sister for ever.

a lot more than people who wants to watch the players at hopman cup. do u live in a warped world or what?

and playing in an indoor environment is very different from an outdoor one. does it have the sun, the wind?

ivanovic
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:44 AM
True...He could have checked the temperature of HK atleast b4 saying 4 degrees..LOL..No point arguing...

lmoa, and how do you explain players wearing winter woolies, ppl covered in blankets, animal furs and breathing out mist. lol
oh and another thing - I know in China you cant take anything seriously - but this court is just too much - the surface is so fast the rallies dont go 4 more then 3 hits. omg plz some one pull a plug on it.

xin_hui
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM
lmoa, and how do you explain players wearing winter woolies, ppl covered in blankets, animal furs and breathing out mist. lol
oh and another thing - I know in China you cant take anything seriously - but this court is just too much - the surface is so fast the rallies dont go 4 more then 3 hits. omg plz some one pull a plug on it.

I AM NOT FROM CHINA:rolleyes:

with that, i choose to ignore u

Langers
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I agree, I watched a few hours of the Hong Kong event today and I was pretty surprised. First of all, the players were wearing track pants and long sleeve shirts, how is playing in freezing temperatures good preparation for the hot Aussie summer? Some of the players even had hand warmers in the change of ends because their hands were so cold. Then you look at the crowd and half are wearing beanies and blankets. What the heck is this tennis? LOL.

And half the players at this event are either injured or average. Clijsters and Dementieva are good players, but then you have the injured and unmotivated Williams sisters and some pretty average players in Mirza and Zheng.

Pretty strange tennis tournament, I even had trouble picking up the ball, because the court was a strange colour. I decided to watch the Adelaide International soon after, some quality tennis.

gorecki
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM
nice report XQ!
AND COME BACK SOON! we are all so jealous back home! :p

skanky~skanketta
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Thats very rude from Sania - these youngsters really dont show respect - I'm glad Ana is so sweet and wouldnt be bitching like that.oh, of course not!ana is different. she just takes skanky topless shots.:tape: :lol: :drool:

SilK
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Nicole is hilarious! :hearts:

I hope I get a chance to see her play IRL this year! :D

Kunal
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM
i hope the reports of sania slimming down are true....both of em were mouthing off at the umpire it seems...

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:49 AM
here's my picture! :)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/884/cimg23931hm.jpg

Vincent
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the report! Your efforts are well appreciated. :D

AKTW
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I think I saw you at the booth! But I thought you were Japanese haha.

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I think I saw you at the booth! But I thought you were Japanese haha.really?! lol... i'm not jap! were you there on most days?

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
more pictures:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3206/cimg23906kn.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9670/cimg24234yd.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1496/cimg24247gf.jpg

AKTW
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
really?! lol... i'm not jap! were you there on most days?
Yeah, I went there too.

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3325/cimg24307zh.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I went there too.you got good seats? i got quite bad ones, rather high up!

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2419/cimg24400xn.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2693/cimg24445pb.jpg

AKTW
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM
you got good seats? i got quite bad ones, rather high up!

Yes, row B.

Thanks for the pics. They are great. :)

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
http://tinypic.com/juua75.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:24 PM
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6959/cimg24603oo.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1932/cimg24659ek.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/6907/cimg24848kv.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/8518/cimg24934ix.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/4053/cimg24967wq.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/1005/cimg25212th.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/1581/cimg25237zh.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/7136/cimg25482lf.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/8241/cimg25514wj.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/3692/cimg21734kl.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/7356/cimg21768en.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/5434/cimg23507tq.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/6205/cimg23600vt.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/6540/cimg24106pp.jpg

Williams Rulez
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:55 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/1746/cimg24017sa.jpg

CooCooCachoo
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures ;)

Jie is by far the cutest :hearts:

Apoorv
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
serena's eyes seem as if she has not slept for nights and has cried for long. just look depressed to me. she need to cheer up and as soon as she becomes fit start winning the way she is used to. i think the will to win has not gone anywhere she is just depressed coz the injury has taken a long time and her fitness as a result has suffered.

40-0
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
']I've never seen LenaD serve so good and with so much confidence on second serve, I'm very happy for her! :D
lol ur avatar its really funny , once in a while , when i get really bored i click the banner to hear: SAY SOMETHING.. and then go to the robot: WHAT? LOL

40-0
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
the only good thing we can take from venus vs lindsay , is the fact that venus returned really well.. She was really off at points and didnt look injured to me. Lindsay in another hand played really well!

firefly_ac
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
great pics!

bis2806
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM

How do you explain that Hopman Cup draws "quality" players like the Swede Ardvidsson, or Krajicek? If Hopman Cup were that great, they should have paid a HIGHER appearance fee than the Hong Kong exhibition which was a great experience. Hopman is just a stupid tourney hosted at the start of the year so players can slug off their rustiness :o

bis2806
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/3692/cimg21734kl.jpg

That's me! I am seated 8th from the left on the first row :D beside this pain in the butt guy who stuck his stupid long-ass retarded camera out during the entire match, thus blocking almost the entire view on the other side of the court.

bis2806
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Yeah you do look Japanese and that's a compliment ;) By the way, are you from Singapore because I am there right now.

Williams Rulez
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM
That's me! I am seated 8th from the left on the first row :D beside this pain in the butt guy who stuck his stupid long-ass retarded camera out during the entire match, thus blocking almost the entire view on the other side of the court.are you in the white and blue long sleeve sweater?

Williams Rulez
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah you do look Japanese and that's a compliment ;) By the way, are you from Singapore because I am there right now.yeah, i'm singaporean, and i'm in singapore right now... dun worry, i get lotsa mixed up nationalities from different pple... ;) haha, where are you from? and what race are you? (can't quite tell from the picture... lol)

Miranda
Jan 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
what crapy event, if its so crapy, why so many top players play in HK :rolleyes: , pls show some respect, HK is not as big as australia, but this small city was and is still prosperous :rolleyes: , the great pete/Chang/Ferrero/Roddick also played here before :rolleyes: