PDA

View Full Version : The people close to Serena need to be honest...

henree
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:57 PM
They should just come out and tell her to drop the burger and get serious about her fitness. Especially after having knee surgery. Every extra 5lbs of of weight you put on your frame adds 20 pounds of pressure to the joints. Serena may not have been able to exercise too much during the past 3 monthes since her loss at the China Open. But that doesn't mean she couldn't diet to keep her self slim and trim.

Marcell
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the medication that Serena is on for her migrain might be contributing to her weight .Those type of medications are notorious for weight gain.

CJ07
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I just hope that it doesn't become a Seles-like, never ending issue

Kenny
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
She'll be fine. She just has to get healed. Once she gets healed then she can push off of her serve and run down balls. She'll be fine!

spartanfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Some of these posters are such fucking morons. Lets see all the people who have had a knee and ankle injury raise there hand. Now how many have been able to keep in peek, world class shape and condition? The starter of this post is such a fucking twat. I wish I could pull a Tonya Harding on your ass. and then make you go out and play tennis.

Simplicity
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
They should just come out and tell her to drop the burger and get serious about her fitness. Especially after having knee surgery. Every extra 5lbs of of weight you put on your frame adds 20 pounds of pressure to the joints. Serena may not have been able to exercise too much during the past 3 monthes since her loss at the China Open. But that doesn't mean she couldn't diet to keep her self slim and trim.
Dude, I haven't been rude once on this Forum, outside of Fantasy Tennis. However, these posts are starting to get extremely tiring and annoying! Every 10 minutes there is a thread talking about Serena needing to get it together and she's obese. Dude, look at your mom before you start judging people! I'm sure she's uglier that you, and being uglier than you is very difficult to accomplish if I do say so myself! Stop being the ass that you are, stay out of Serena's life, and start living yours! You are very pathetic!

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Some of these posters are such fucking morons. Lets see all the people who have had a knee and ankle injury raise there hand. Now how many have been able to keep in peek, world class shape and condition? The starter of this post is such a fucking twat. I wish I could pull a Tonya Harding on your ass. and then make you go out and play tennis.
I'm not going to comment directly about Serena's physical condition or whether the starter of this thread is the embodiment of female genitalia, although that's an intriguing concept.

I had major knee surgery four years ago, ACL replacement. The recovery period, which is lengthy and difficult, is critical. It is not the time to gain weight and get out of shape. It is the time to stay fit, work hard and take responsibility for your own recovery. It's one of a short list of things I've done right in my life. At 42 years old, I was able to cut my recovery time down to a fraction of what was anticipated. I was discharged from physical therapy six weeks ahead of schedule, while another patient twenty years my junior who had the same surgery at the same time was still working on walking without crutches. I was back on skis in 4 months, rather than the 1 - 2 years my surgeon told me I could expect.

Helen Lawson
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Interesting, because today is the anniversary of the Nancy Kerrigan attack.

tennisjay
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM

I agree with you so much. I think the biggest problem is that Serena is pigheaded no pun intended, but as I stated before I love Serena to death and I think most people feel the same way I do even though won’t admit it. I think even Serena’s biggest foes know she could have been among the greatest, but her lack of interest may have stop that. I hope to God Serena will get herself together.

LDVTennis
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM

If Steffi Graf were in the room, she would be the only one with her hand raised.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I wish I could pull a Tonya Harding on your ass. and then make you go out and play tennis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simplicity
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Interesting, because today is the anniversary of the Nancy Kerrigan attack.
:confused: :wavey:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm bad repping left and right... :drool:

We'll have the last laugh when the "fat" girl win the Australian Open... Then you all will know that your favorites really SUCK !!
:wavey:

spartanfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not going to comment directly about Serena's physical condition or whether the starter of this thread is the embodiment of female genitalia, although that's an intriguing concept.

I had major knee surgery four years ago, ACL replacement. The recovery period, which is lengthy and difficult, is critical. It is not the time to gain weight and get out of shape. It is the time to stay fit, work hard and take responsibility for your own recovery. It's one of a short list of things I've done right in my life. At 42 years old, I was able to cut my recovery time down to a fraction of what was anticipated. I was discharged from physical therapy six weeks ahead of schedule, while another patient twenty years my junior who had the same surgery at the same time was still working on walking without crutches. I was back on skis in 4 months, rather than the 1 - 2 years my surgeon told me I could expect.

Good to hear. When I was 14 I too had knee surgery over the Christmas holiday was on crutches for 6 weeks, but was able to rehab and be out running track full speed by early March. And if you look back on when Serena did ORIGINALLY return off her surgery in Miami, she won her first tourney back. Beating Dementieva, oddly enough, like 6-1, 6-1, and that was after like a 8 month lay off. Plus if you look back at the tape of that match/tournament Serena was the smallest in size that I've ever seen her. In fact I think that she had lost too much weight. But everyones body is different. I don't know why she is (and Venus too) still having problems with her knee. But I would recommend getting a new physical therapist and trainer cause Kerri Brooks isn't doing the job. Two high profile athletes that she can't keep healthy, it makes her look bad and incompetent. Her injury/injuries are apparently much worse than she is letting the public know and its not just a matter of not training or pusing back from the dinner table. Prior to last year fitness has never been an issue for Serena so it really must be ongoing issues with her knee and/or ankle.

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I haven't seen enough of Serena to realy make a definitive judgement. But I suspect if she is NOT in peak condition yet, then it has to do more with lifestyle than anything else. I think that perhaps there is still some question of where her focus is, on tennis or on show business. Has she really been putting in the time training or not?

Ironically, I suspect she would get a bigger reception in show business if she shed a few pounds. Males continue to dominate the business, in terms of being in power, and most men like a more svelt actress than a chunky one.

But the question is, how hard has Serena been training? I suspect none of us can actually answer that question. But here is another one. I don't actually member seeing Serena on crutches. Was she? Are there any pictures?

Helen Lawson
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not putting you guys on.

http://www.rotten.com/today/

spartanfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
TonyP- have you thought that maybe Serena isn't training hard like she normally would because her knee and/or ankle won't allow her? Even with all of Serena's off court activities she still has 7 Grand Slam titles, more than any other active female player on tour, by two slams, and second only to Agassi of all active players, men or women. So don't be so quick to blame her tennis prepardness on outside interest.

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Serena has accomplished more than any other player in her generation. If she doesn't play another day of tennis, she will still be considered one of the game's best.

I think that there is probably more going on than her recurrent knee problems, but I am sure that that isn't helping either. It all will start with her attitude and right now something is off. She's lost her swagger and I think she is right not to subject herself to losses from people she should beat easily.

Regaining confidence is much harder than regaining form. I know watching my fav struggle for the past two years. Venus was three games away from a million dollar racket. Her game was there, but her confidence was not!

If Serena's knee still isn't healed, she should take whatever time she needs to get it better, get into condition and come back playing world class tennis. Her true fans will support her, even if it looks like she is just not trying.

ampers&
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
here we go again. :rolleyes:

October
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
She'll be fine. She just has to get healed. Once she gets healed then she can push off of her serve and run down balls. She'll be fine!

I wish the SAME. Many people think that shes lost her interest in Tennis, but thats not true!! Once shes determined, she definitely will be a FORCE to reckon with!!
:bounce: COME ON SERENA!!!

AsTrOnOtUs
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
pauvre serena ! allez démontre nous qe le proverbe "on ne peut pas etre et avoir été" ne tient debout ! lol
get well soon Rena

Stamp Paid
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Gotdammit she is doing the best she fucking can, Geez!!!!!!!

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
and i think people closest to you should tell you that you are a complete moron

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
With the amount of time off she has had from competitive tennis, I'd expect her to look a little bit better than she does. Lindsay looked amazing after her knee surgery. There were a few times when Seles came back from injury where she really trimmed out. I don't doubt that Serena has injuries that prevent her from training the way she would like. However, I think if she truly wanted to, she could find alternative methods of diet/exercise to work around the issue.

She certainly looks better than she did at Wimbledon, when she just looked like a blimp. There's definitely a ways to go though. I'm sure she knows that. The question is will she do anything about it?

pigam
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
some people will be so surprised.
and I'm positive that the people constantly hammering on Serena's weight have only seen like 3 pics of her. :rolleyes:
Please get a life. and get one soon.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the medication that Serena is on for her migrain might be contributing to her weight .Those type of medications are notorious for weight gain.

Such a great point!

Also, if it is the same knee AGAIN, Serena should take the Doctor who did her surgery to court. She shouldn't be having these problems still.

I for one think she should not play ANY MORE TOURNAMENTS until she has:
1. dropped 10-15 pounds
2. is injury free
3. has seriously trained for a good while and is well practiced

I think that these attempts to play while not at 100% are not helping her one bit and will only hurt her confidence.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I've seen pics of Serena at Hong Kong, and she looks a lot better than she did...even at the US Open (when she had set points against Venus). She just needs to get her knee together, and she'll be fine. I guarantee that this year, she should win at least 5 tournaments and get to at least the quarters of all of the slams. She just needs consistent match play under her belt and she'll be fine!

pigam
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I've seen pics of Serena at Hong Kong, and she looks a lot better than she did...even at the US Open (when she had set points against Venus). She just needs to get her knee together, and she'll be fine. I guarantee that this year, she should win at least 5 tournaments and get to at least the quarters of all of the slams. She just needs consistent match play under her belt and she'll be fine!
are you a belgian? :)

Wsisters45
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Can't there just be one Serena's fitness thread where all the haters can bash her so they can stop spreading all over GM :rolleyes:

Serena will be fine. She'll be in great shape in no time :yeah: and in her current shape,she still kick all of our asses 6-0 6-0 :lol:

Sanneriet
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I looked it up out of curiosity. Weight gain is not listed as a possible side effect, but check this out:

Musculoskeletal: Infrequent were arthralgia, arthritis, arthrosis, bone (http://javascript<b></b>:defwindow('bone')) pain, myalgia (http://javascript<b></b>:defwindow('myalgia')) and myasthenia. Rare were bone (http://javascript<b></b>:defwindow('bone')) neoplasm, joint (http://javascript<b></b>:defwindow('joint')) disorder, myopathy (http://javascript<b></b>:defwindow('myopathy')) and tenosynovitis

Tenosynovitis is inflammation of the tendons.
http://cache.wtaworld.com/wtaworld/images/statusicon//user_invisible.gif http://cache.wtaworld.com/wtaworld/images/buttons/blue/reputation.gif (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=7015885#)

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
She could kick my ass at anything, including kicking ass. Most people would kill to be in her shape.

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Can't there just be one Serena's fitness thread where all the haters can bash her so they can stop spreading all over GM :rolleyes:
What would the thread title be? "Hey Serena, how about a delicious shake for breakfast, another delicious shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner?" :lol:

No matter what anyone says or does, it's a subject that will never die. Partly 'cause it's lots of fun for some people. Not only do they get to make all their favorite fat jokes (Vee served at Serena during practice and the ball went into orbit around her.), they can count on getting a rise out of people. :fiery:
That said, Serena looks pretty damn good to me. Most people would kill to have a body like hers.

php1
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Don't mind henree. The Fed troll can't respect different players. To him and the media, no one is better than Federer when it comes to smarts and beauty.
If you serve more than 125 mph, you're an ugly player, according to arrogant pricks like him.
At peak form, if Hingis, Agassi and Federer didn't have great fitness and flexibility, they would've been lucky to be in the top 5.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM

she cant drop the burger, shes sponsored by mcdonalds

raquel
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Serena doesn't need the people around her to be honest with her, because she knows herself. She knows herself that she is not 100% fit. If she was, she would not be losing to Dementieva 3 & 1. You make it sound like Serena is surrounded by yes men who can't bring themselves to tell her the truth. Serena knows what she needs to do and I am sure she will do what it takes as soon as she is able. Right now, she's being totally written off and that's when Serena is even more dangerous.

auntie janie
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
... Also, if it is the same knee AGAIN, Serena should take the Doctor who did her surgery to court. She shouldn't be having these problems still.

Sorry to burst your silly bubble, but lawsuits are NOT the answer to everything. Surgery is NOT a guarantee to a future of perfect knees. Every knee has a slightly different problem, and every knee reacts differently after being operated on. Poor Mal Washington ended up having to retire after his surgery.

Mindless suing when things don't go as we hope, though a favorite activity of many in the US, enriches only lawyers, and is not the answer to improved health for Serena.

Paneru
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
And the people who don't know
snap but assume about the interworks
and conversation of her crew ned to zip it! :cool:

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Mindless suing when things don't go as we hope, though a favorite activity of many in the US, enriches only lawyers, and is not the answer to improved health for Serena.

You'd better watch it. Any more talk like that may get you sued.

Hingie
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
When she makes a strong showing at the Aus Open you will all be eating your words!

LefandePatty
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:23 PM
:lol:

esquímaux
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm bad repping left and right... :drool:

We'll have the last laugh when the "fat" girl win the Australian Open... Then you all will know that your favorites really SUCK !!
:wavey:I was just watching the AO final last year, and Rena really pulled it together and won in style :hearts: Sure, Linzi faded away, but full credit to Rena for raising the level of her game :bounce:

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:23 AM
It's funny, as well as interesting, that so many of Serena's detractors are so worried about her. Serena's season hasn't even officially begun, yet people know with certainty what lies ahead for her this season. A lot of the people "worried" are the same people who, at about this same time last year, proclaimed she wouldn't win another slam anytime soon- we know how all that turned out. It's also interesting how so many people are now willing to give Serena props for what she accomplished in the past, referring to her as one of the greatest and things along those lines. When she was actually at her heights a lot of these same people tried to find every way imaginable to down play her accomplishments. Now that she's a lot more vulnerable and not in peak physical shape people like to throw backhanded compliments her way- "Serena could have really been one of the best, it's such a shame she's wasted her talent". I'd respect people a lot more if they'd just admit that they find delight in what they perceive as shortcomings, with regards to Serena. It's nothing more then wishful thinking if you believe a healthy Serena wont be a factor this season or any other season she decides to play.

I certainly don't mean to imply that everyone who's expressing concern for Serena isn't sincere, or that it's just the "haters" that are concerned. I'm just commenting on how interesting I find all the concern, especially from people who aren't even fans. I just don't have that kind of level of interest in the players that I don't really care about, but I guess that's just me. As for the posters who don't pretend to be concerned but still agree that her time as passed, time is on Serena's side and like she's done time and again, she will prove you wrong.

I always want the best for Serena, she's my absolute favorite player on tour and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with how injury prone she was. I also don't like seeing Serena getting frazzled on court and there were a few times last year where her body language was extremely negative. I can admit to being a tad bit disturbed by that. I also have to admit that I wasn't the least bit surprised when she won the Australian Open last year. Unlike so many others, Serena's real fans know what she's capable of and when a person is blessed with the gifts that Serena possess, worry isn't something we feel the need to be consumed with. All the GREATS have their ebbs and flows, their highs and lows, and if winning one slam a year is considered a low I wouldn't be too sad with more lows like that in Serena's future. If I know there are some things Serena still needs to work on and if I know it, you can rest assured she's well aware- and that's good enough for me.

Siyasema
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
If I know there are some things Serena still needs to work on and if I know it, you can rest assured she's well aware- and that's good enough for me.

As it is for me.

Monirena Wiles
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
It wont be easy but Serena will do what it takes to win. Serena is a fighter who loves to compete and she's got a lot of time to find her game. I don't think she'll do much at the Australian Open but she'll make up for it at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Mudbone
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I am a fan of Serena that can be very honest about her situation...Yes she had knee surgery....But the lingering affects are due to her poor work ethic...There is no reason she can't diet and work out in a pool...Even with a bad ankle, like a nasty high sprain, she can do aquatic work and stay fit&trim....Serena is lazy and likes to party...It should be obvious to her most ardent fans she is simply not dedicated to sport....Unless she drops 20lbs and learns to work hard off the courts she will never get her fierce game back.....

Serena's huge weakness is her great natural talent...She has relied on it so long that she never developed the will to keep herself fit and ready...Now that the tour is stronger and deeper, she can't play herself into shape and still win...The new approach required to win is something Serena is unwilling to do...HARD WORK...Serena is not like Venus who does work hard and has a great deal of personal discipline...Serena would rather party and run with the celebrity crowd than work hard at her profession....Honestly, she may never get her groove back,,

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I am a fan of Serena that can be very honest about her situation...

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's like me saying.... I'm a big fan of Justine that can be very honest about her situation.....

And I can basically insult Justine with that opening remark and feel safe ....

So, shut up and get a life.........

Mudbone
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:45 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's like me saying.... I'm a big fan of Justine that can be very honest about her situation.....

And I can basically insult Justine with that opening remark and feel safe ....

So, shut up and get a life.........

Well i am in fact a Serena fan..I am simply not one of the deluded ones that still believes she can show up out of shape and unprepared and still win...At last years Aussie Open she was 25lbs lighter and much fitter than she is now...She got a good early draw and played herself into winning form....May have been the worst thing that happened...As soon as she won, she went right back into her celebrity malaise

Paialii
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
:rolleyes:

She's not out of shape because of cheeseburgers, she's out of shape because of injuries. And while she's packing more weight now than she has ever in the past, I still think that if she were to focus on footwork, even with the extra weight, she would be fine. There are other aspects she needs to focus on than her weight.

And while I agree there are ways to train when you are injured, I think in her case, she's wanting to be able to train at a high level, and her knee is stopping her from doing so. Let her worry about her fitness levels -- she knows better than anyone that she's not in the best of shape.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Well i am in fact a Serena fan..
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah, sure, sure... :lol: :lol: ..... You're just upset 'cause you don't have a life and she does....... When you win 7 GS then come talk to me :wavey:

harloo
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:03 PM
What would the WTAWORLD message board be like without these "intervention" threads?

1. She needs a new coach
2. She needs to stop eating large snack cakes
3. Someone in her family needs to shake her
4. Serena needs to stop fooling herself
5. Serena should get a new trainer

You would think that Serena was on drugs or something from the way some people act here. I don't have a problem with the criticism because I don't believe that every fan should have the same perspective but when will the questioning end?

We all know that Serena is not at her best right now and the bottom line is that it will be her decision to get herself together. She can do it so just give her time.

We as fans can't expect her to win everything or to be in the best physical/mental condition all the time. She has won 7 slam and that's more than any active player on tour. So let her sort it out and give her time to do so instead of joining the chorus of negative criticism. :angel: ;)

Simplicity
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM
It's funny, as well as interesting, that so many of Serena's detractors are so worried about her. Serena's season hasn't even officially begun, yet people know with certainty what lies ahead for her this season. A lot of the people "worried" are the same people who, at about this same time last year, proclaimed she wouldn't win another slam anytime soon- we know how all that turned out. It's also interesting how so many people are now willing to give Serena props for what she accomplished in the past, referring to her as one of the greatest and things along those lines. When she was actually at her heights a lot of these same people tried to find every way imaginable to down play her accomplishments. Now that she's a lot more vulnerable and not in peak physical shape people like to throw backhanded compliments her way- "Serena could have really been one of the best, it's such a shame she's wasted her talent". I'd respect people a lot more if they'd just admit that they find delight in what they perceive as shortcomings, with regards to Serena. It's nothing more then wishful thinking if you believe a healthy Serena wont be a factor this season or any other season she decides to play.

I certainly don't mean to imply that everyone who's expressing concern for Serena isn't sincere, or that it's just the "haters" that are concerned. I'm just commenting on how interesting I find all the concern, especially from people who aren't even fans. I just don't have that kind of level of interest in the players that I don't really care about, but I guess that's just me. As for the posters who don't pretend to be concerned but still agree that her time as passed, time is on Serena's side and like she's done time and again, she will prove you wrong.

I always want the best for Serena, she's my absolute favorite player on tour and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with how injury prone she was. I also don't like seeing Serena getting frazzled on court and there were a few times last year where her body language was extremely negative. I can admit to being a tad bit disturbed by that. I also have to admit that I wasn't the least bit surprised when she won the Australian Open last year. Unlike so many others, Serena's real fans know what she's capable of and when a person is blessed with the gifts that Serena possess, worry isn't something we feel the need to be consumed with. All the GREATS have their ebbs and flows, their highs and lows, and if winning one slam a year is considered a low I wouldn't be too sad with more lows like that in Serena's future. If I know there are some things Serena still needs to work on and if I know it, you can rest assured she's well aware- and that's good enough for me.

:kiss: Some good rep for you! :kiss:

P.S- I am W_05_Venus!! :tape:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM
P.S- I am W_05_Venus!! :tape:

Oh Lord help us... :lol: :lol: Hey, it's me Double-Fault... :lol:

harloo
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Oh Lord help us... :lol: :lol: Hey, it's me Double-Fault... :lol:

DF is that you? What happened to venusserenafans.com?:confused:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
DF is that you? What happened to venusserenafans.com?:confused:

Yes it's me. And you are? miss coco sent a message to Richard reagarding the board. Richard told her that the board will be back up later this month. I can't wait. I miss it...

spartanfan
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Well i am in fact a Serena fan..I am simply not one of the deluded ones that still believes she can show up out of shape and unprepared and still win...At last years Aussie Open she was 25lbs lighter and much fitter than she is now...She got a good early draw and played herself into winning form....May have been the worst thing that happened...As soon as she won, she went right back into her celebrity malaise

You're an idiot. That's all I have to say, You're an idiot. Plain and simple. You're an Idiot.