PDA

View Full Version : bad news for Peng

hale-bob
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/0,1518,393813,00.html (in german)

Peng has to guarantee a goldmedal in 2008, otherwise she won't be allowed to turn pro says official of chinese tennis federation.

now thats harsh....

Emiel Goelen
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
:Peng: :retard:

hale-bob
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
oh sorry, I just saw there is already a thread about this.

LefandePatty
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
:Pengshole:

tennisrox
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Idiotic :retard:

The poor girl is under ridiculous amounts of pressure.

Chriskip
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
And we wonder why these young athletes turn to drugs.....such pressure.
I am positive all the other pro tennis players in China have not won gold medals at the Olympics, in Asia or elsewhere.

SilK
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
:sobbing: CTF is harsh. :(

Modiac.
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Shuai was crying when she was told she must promise she can get Olympic gold medal in a talk between she and one Chinese tennis official.
The official said she must follow the national team to play tournaments,if she wanna play alone,she had to promise she can win the 2008 Olympic gold medal.Because Chinese&Tianjin Tennis Association afford all the expenses of Shuai's training and playing tournaments,so She must get a excellent result in Olympic Games.

It's a reality that can't be changed in China,no matter how people will think about it.
Anyway,good luck to Shuai(beibei:))

Calvin
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
What I don't get is why Peng continues to accept the money from the Chinese Associations. Can't she manage on her own like most other pro tennis players?

PaulHopkins
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Thats pathetic of the Chinese tennis authorities! I hope for her sake that she ditches them after 2008 should she fail. They should not put this ridiculous pressure on her!

Modiac.
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Can't she manage on her own like most other pro tennis players?

No,she won't do that without permission of CTA,because if she break up with CTA,she will got a lot of pressure from public and media in China,and she want to play in Beijing2008 Olympic Games.

dania
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Too much presure on her. :fiery: :mad:

ashwu
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
sun is stupid. no doubt about it :)
but that's not the full story on those english sites.
if you could read chinese
http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2006-01-06/12041976558.shtml

might feel something different :)

Rollo
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
It's a wonder she doesn't defect.

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
it seems to me that CTA hates Peng. why don't other players face this kind of situation?

jonny84
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
That seems harsh and very strange, and sorry but unrealistic. I doubt Peng can do it, although she will have the Chinese on her side in Bejing. But who knows who will be the stars of tennis in three years time???

Three years ago Serena was on top with the Belgians chasing her, and its kinda all changed now. Who knows?

Experimentee
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
They should realise that the reason she had bad results at the end of last year was because of the huge amount of pressure put on her :rolleyes:
Not a good move to put even more pressure. Poor Shuai :sad:

Dawn Marie
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Pathetic. Leave China and come to America.

fanfromtoronto
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
In that case I hope sponsors will take matters in their own hands and support her so she doesn't have to be controlled by the Chinese Federation.

bis2806
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Peng should leave China! This is getting too crazy and out of hand.

njnetswill
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Yes she could defect...but that involves a lot of political/social chaos in Peng's life. It's not that easy to choose to leave your home country and abandon all your friends and family. Navratilova did it, but this isn't quite the same. It also means Peng's chances of playing at Beijing 2008 are gone.

bis2806
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:31 AM
I understand that she'll miss her chance to play at the 2008 olympics, but I'm sure if she plays for another country, she could still do it.

njnetswill
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I understand that she'll miss her chance to play at the 2008 olympics, but I'm sure if she plays for another country, she could still do it.

I don't think China would be very welcoming to a defected athlete. :angel:

drake3781
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but since this one is on top now.... I have a lot of questions!! Can anyone help?

"I'm very :confused: :confused: about this.

1. Why is she being called "amateur"? And why is the money is for her to turn professional?

2. The article states:
Peng approached the National Assn and asked to leave the team and strike out on her own. This was agreed as long as she paid her own expenses.
Later she asked for financial support to go out on her own.
This financial support was agreed under the condition that she sign a contract agreeing to win gold at the 2008 Olymics.

?? How can a person (sign/be asked to sign) a contract promising to win a game of skill? Even a proven top-ranked player cannot guarantee this for any given tournament; there are too many variables.

?? How can a person (sign/be asked to sign) a contract promising to perform something so far out into the future? This event will be 2.5 years from now. So many things can change in that time - her health, her game, other players skill levels on tour, even the game itself.

?? What happens if she does not win gold in 2008? The financial support would have already been given. Would she be expected to pay it back? What if she cannot? Would she be indebted to the Assn for the rest of her life until she can repay?

?? Can she pay it back early - maybe with interest - if she has some good winnings, then get out of the contract? This seems like a good clause to put into the contract.

?? Can this be considered a valid contract? It seems like it would be thrown out of court - at least in the US - without wording on what happens if she does not win.

3. Maybe this is really a good thing for her? I mean, she breaks free, gets a good personal coach, and gets to travel as she sees fit and play her own schedule. Presumably she can earn enough this year, especially being able to keep all of her winnings, to cover her expenses this year and into the future. She can put aside what she owes the National Assn - either pay it back or keep it to repay them in 2008 in case she does not win Olympics. And she will have enough winnings to get her started on her own next year as well. She did win $243,000 in 2005. She should do at least as well this year.

Can anyone help me understand these questions???"

Derek.
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Poor Peng. :sad:

RJWCapriati
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:28 AM
thats so awful, I would be leaving the country

cartmancop
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:32 AM
If she's going to be treated poorly or unfairly she should consider a move to a more tolerant country... USA would be glad to have a talented young player, we seem to have a drought...

Zauber
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I think they just want to make sure that she will make the Olympics her prime competion and focus. Rather than some exhibition in Hong Kong for money.
I dont think that is all that unreasonable.

ashwu
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:35 AM
i think the contract thing is just a way sun making herself clear that peng can't ask for cta's money and at the same time leave the national team - there's no way that contract could work so there's no way peng could go solo then ask for money again.
sun should never bring this contract thing, that just makes her look bad.

UDACHi
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Come to America, Peng. :D

ashwu
Jan 7th, 2006, 03:44 AM
you know, li fang used to play by herself in her late career, and yuan meng is all by herself from the very beginning. so they do have the choice. especially for peng, she should never enter the national team at the first place. and ask cta's money to leave national team? that's just childish. no one would ever do that. sun is stupid and don't know anything about tennis, but instead of getting herself a sponsor and stay away from her, peng choose to rely on sun's money... there's no easy money!

The Kaz
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Remember that Peng is an amateur and amateur do not recieve prizemoney at tourney so the CTA is fully funding her...it every aspect...like other sports such as volleyball and athletics

The Kaz
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM
All the other chinese players are pro...except Peng :weird:

Marshmallow
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM
All the other chinese players are pro...except Peng :weird:

Exactly what i was thinking. She defeated Clijsters and Dementieva AND petrova. Isn't that enough to be pro. We even talk about her.... this just sounds so ridiculous.

hablo
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM
It's a wonder she doesn't defect.
exactly!!!
come to Canada :tape:
(actually, she'll get no real help here either !!! :o )

I suppose defected to another country would not be a good idea, especially since next olympics is in China!!!!!! :(

Cp6uja
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM
NEW BAD NEWS FOR PENG!

She play vs. Ana Ivanovic in Sydnay 1st round.

Mana
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Peng: I am only going to say this once, COME TO NEW ZEALAND!!!

Mcawen
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM
It's not like that.It's China.It's not in another country. ;)

Mcawen
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Peng: I am only going to say this once, COME TO NEW ZEALAND!!!

Well MSN her about that~~ ;)

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM
where the hell are Pengwin and Penglover? can't they show some supports here?

Steveg
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Are the ranking rewards in CNY or in USD ?

I got a partial translation but could not figure out the currency :o . I suppose it's CNY :confused: .

Modiac.
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Are the ranking rewards in CNY or in USD ?

I got a partial translation but could not figure out the currency :o . I suppose it's CNY :confused: .

In CNY for sure.

I think Shuai or any other tennis player in China haven't gain more than 500,000 USD prize money totally in their carrers.Because they must give a big part to CTA.

Modiac.
Jan 7th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Miss Sun(official of CTA)said to Shuai,
"You're not Sharapova,so it's hard to find sposorship for u!"

drake3781
Jan 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Can someone translate PLEASE?!?

And my questions on PAGE 1, does anybody know about these?!?!?!?

Fingon
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well, I don't know many details, but I think Peng does have a weapon.

If she defects, that will be a terrible blow for the Chinese Federation. People don't defect this days except from North Korea and Cuba, that will put China at the same level. All their claims about freedom blah blah will be in doubt.

And with the Olympics approaching, the Chinese don't want something like that happening.

I think she should play a hardball, but I might be wrong, who knows.

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM
i don't know why China desparately wants gold medal in tennis. i mean, they can win them all in other sports. China will definitely beats USA in Olympics 2008 :shrug:

Duramont
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM
This is a mentality I don't like: China gets Olympic Games 2008 and now they are making there athlets under pressure to win EVERY medal (they should call it China Games then :retard: )

The athlets are treated like machins working for the pride of a whole country. :o
I guess it would be all right for the Chinese Olympic federation if another Chinese tennis player would prevail because they don't bother about the players but just want to see: .... (CHN) won Olympic Games in tennis. :rolleyes:

Poor Shuai Peng! Tennis should be fun for you and not a torture! :hug:

As another poster said before: We don't have to wonder that players are doping nowadays...

PS: Shuai Peng should come to Luxembourg. I still remember the great table tennis player Ni Xia Lian :worship: (born in China) who represented Luxembourg for the last four years of her great career. We aren't used to win anything and therefore there is no pressure on any Luxembourgish athlet. :angel:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM
peng should come to Britain :)

*Jool*
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
:Peng: :retard:

maybe you should rather say :

:chinesefederation: :retard:

*JR*
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Shuai, remember two words please: Natasha Zvereva. ;)

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Shuai, remember two words please: Natasha Zvereva. ;)

what about her?

*JR*
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
what about her?
She stood up to the mighty USSR in 1987 on largely the same issue. B4 her, their players had to give the Fed their prize checks to pay for training etc, and got a stipend to live on. Contrary to the Annaholics' propaganda, Natasha getting Moscow to back down on this did more to motivate other "Soviettes" to become pro's.

Steveg
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM
In CNY for sure.

I think Shuai or any other tennis player in China haven't gain more than 500,000 USD prize money totally in their carrers.Because they must give a big part to CTA.
Zheng Jie has reached so far USD 566K, but after deducting the taxes she has to pay on it (it's deducted automatically by the tournaments), the chunk that is kept by the WTA (the CTA is not the only body to eat a part of the prize money :p ) and the part of the CTA, she is left with approximately USD 150K.

USD 62K for reaching the top 20 is not a lot.

I never really found out how much LI Ting / SUN Tian Tian had been rewarded for grabbing a gold medal at the Olympics. Does someone know?