PDA

View Full Version : No dream comeback for Hingis but confidence up ahead of Aussie Open - ARTICLE

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hingis beaten in semis
January 6, 2006 - 6:45PM

Martina Hingis refused to blame a hip injury for her semi-final exit today from the Australian Women's Hardcourts tennis tournament while the unearthing of rising Czech star Lucie Safarova continued.

Hingis' fulltime comeback to professional tennis came to a grinding halt at the hands of Italian Flavia Pennetta, who defeated the former world number one 1-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 at Royal Pines in one hour, 47 minutes.

The 25-year-old Hingis suffered a left hip flexor strain towards the end of the second set which she lost in a tiebreak before succumbing to world No.23 Pennetta in the third.

Hingis immediately withdrew from the doubles semi-final in which she and French partner Tatiana Golovin were due to meet Zimbabwe's Cara Black and Australian Renae Stubbs.

Fourth seed Pennetta booked a date in tomorrow's final with Safarova, who displayed some devastating hitting in her resounding 6-4 6-2 win over world No.20 Dinara Safina, the 19-year-old sister of Russian star Marat Safin.

Hingis's injury will be assessed over the next couple of days, although at this stage she is not in doubt for the Sydney International starting on Sunday. :hearts: :D

"As a player and a competitor you try to overcome things like that and still play until the end of the match,'' said Hingis about the hip injury.

"I don't want to take anything away from Pennetta, she played a great match.

"I was able to compete with her. It was great tennis and everyone enjoyed it. :D :D

"You can't always expect everything to be perfect with your body when you haven't done that much in three years.''

Hingis said she was satisfied with her efforts in her serious comeback to tennis following her retirement in 2002 - due to a series of foot, heel and ankle injuries - after a tentative return at the Thailand Open last February.

"If I was to evaluate this tournament right away, I'm very happy and very positive about what I've achieved this week,'' said Hingis, who has won five grand slam tournaments, including three Australian Opens.

"I don't think anybody expected me to come out like this so it's pretty good.''

Pennetta will face the future of women's tennis in the unseeded Safarova, who has risen from a world ranking of 196 this time last year to 47 going into her fourth WTA final.

The tag "giant-killer'' can now be applied to Safarova following her wins over two-time Gold Coast winner Ai Sugiyama in the first round and defending champion, No.1 seed and world No.7 Patty Schnyder in last night's quarter final.

Safarova, who won two WTA Tour events last year, produced some remarkable return of serves this week to prove she could pose a real threat at the Australian Open starting on January 16.

"I enjoy playing with pace, I am used to it,'' said Safarova.

"At the (tennis) club there are no other girls, so I am used to playing against the boys who hit the ball very hard and I enjoy it.''

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/hingis-beaten-in-semis/2006/01/06/1136387619270.html

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the article Drew :wavey: :worship:

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
GOLD COAST, Australia (AFP) - Former world number one Martina Hingis failed to achieve a fairytale victory in her comeback tournament here but said her confidence was high as she prepares for the Australian Open.

Hingis was beaten Friday in the semi-finals of the Australian women's hardcourt event in three sets by Flavia Pennetta in the fourth match of her return to professional tennis after a three-year lay-off.

The five-time Grand Slam winner took the first set easily before a lack of fitness and a slight hip injury saw her succumb to the Italian world number 23 in a tie-break second.

The five-time Grand Slam winner faded in the final set to lose 1-6, 7-6 (7/2), 6-2.

Hingis and France's Tatiana Golovin then pulled out of their doubles semi-final against Zimbabwe's Cara Black and Australian Rennae Stubbs, with the 25-year-old Swiss admitting she was tired.
"I've played a lot of tennis this week and I'm not used to that," said Hingis after her defeat to fourth seed Pennetta.

"With the doubles as well, I didn't expect myself to come this far."

Hingis retired in 2002 with foot, heel and ankle injuries but declared the Gold Coast tournament was the beginning of a serious comeback.

She is set to play in the Sydney International later this month before taking a wild card entry to compete in the Australian Open beginning January 16, an event she won three times at the height of her career.

Hingis admitted she had doubts about the wisdom of her comeback but said her progress in her first event had dispelled any fears she no longer had the ability to succeed on the women's tour.

She said while her opponents had become bigger, she still had the skills needed to defeat them.

"You just have general doubts about yourself when you see those big strong girls and here I come," she said.

"I'm probably half the size of most of them except Patty (Schnyder) or (Nuria) Llagostera Vives in yesterday's match.

"They're all much more muscular but I've got the skills and the game and I showed that this week. :hearts:

"I'm very proud and happy about it. In the 10 days I think I've made some great progress. :yeah:

"Every match I faced a faster, fitter and stronger opponent so I was able to come out with better tennis."
Pennetta will meet 18-year-old Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic, who recorded a solid 6-4, 6-2 win over world number 20 Dinara Safina, in Saturday's final.

Safarova ousted Japan's Ai Sugiyama in the first round and defending champion world number seven Patty Schnyder in Thursday's quarter-final.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/060106/5/ghjl.html

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Very nice article...thanks for posting :D :bounce:

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the article Drew :wavey: :worship:

No problems. :D

Also just heard on the news, Martina is still coming to Sydney - Despite her left hip injury.. :hearts: :hearts:

http://smileys.******************/cat/18/18_1_103v.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm414CGAU) Good Luck Martina!! http://smileys.******************/cat/18/18_1_204.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm414CGAU)

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well that is good news i really want to see her play

Billabong
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Indeed an awesome article:yeah: The injury doesn't sound serious and Martina is very positive, so I'm very happy about it:banana:!!! She seems very confident, that's what she needs:yeah: If her hip is not 100% at the AO, maybe she should skip it in order to be 100% for AO! GO Martina:bounce:!!!

tennisjam
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM
as long as she stays healthy and positive, everything is OK... :)

people should be more realistic about those immediate high expectations...

go girl ! :bounce:

alfonsojose
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
:yeah: I think she achieved more than she was expecting, both in singles and doubles. But girl, please, don't u dare to play doubles in Sidney :scared: . It's Australia in the summer, you come from a three year hiatus and you're not 16 anymore :mad:

Meesh
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I never imagined her going this far. Congrats on a great week Martina... Good LUck next week!!!

PaulHopkins
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Gutting for Hingis but she has done a lot better than I expected so well done to her :D

Nickk
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think what the first article says about Safarova is very interesting.

I wonder how far she can make it in the rankings.

josved
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hingis's injury will be assessed over the next couple of days, although at this stage she is not in doubt for the Sydney International starting on Sunday. :hearts: :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

"At the (tennis) club there are no other girls, so I am used to playing against the boys who hit the ball very hard and I enjoy it.''

:eek:

LefandePatty
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Get well soon Marti :hug: :hearts:

griffin
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
:yeah: I think she achieved more than she was expecting, both in singles and doubles. But girl, please, don't u dare to play doubles in Sidney :scared: . It's Australia in the summer, you come from a three year hiatus and you're not 16 anymore :mad:

I think she should back off doubles for a couple of months, forget just the Aussie summer. That's a lot of tennis to dump on a body that's had such a long lay-off, especially since there's still some question as to how well her ankles/feet will hold up. (that said, a rematch against Stubbs would have fun to listen in on :devil: )

She may not have won the tourney, but I'd say she's had some encouraging results this week.

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I also think she should give up doubles for awhile. She played six matches in five days and that is too much for somebody who has pretty much taken it easy for three years. I initially wanted her to play doubles, because she is so damn good at it, probably the best in the world. The easy with which she and Golovin defeated the Chinese Gold medal winners proved that. But it is just too much tennis for her, especially in the Australian heat.

Kimdsay
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Great articles, thanks! :yeah:
And nice words Martina, I'm a verry happy and proud fan right now! :D
Agreed on the doubles thing, hope she'll concentrate on singles for now,
and start playing doubles a bit later, when she gets to 100% form!

RAA
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
well I for one am VERY impressed by her first outing on the tour in three years. really, to get to the semis is excellent! for a few moments I thought she might come back and win the whole thing.

i'm impressed with her effort and attitude and game so far. I truly never thought she would come back so i'm just totally amazed by the whole turn of events.