PDA

View Full Version : name the 8 hottest title contenders for Melbourne

mr_burns
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
in special order please

1 Davenport (seems to be in an amazing form)
2 Clijsters
3 Mouresmo
4 Dementieva
5 Pierce
6 Sharapova
7 Petrova
8 Venus

tennisjam
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
1. Davenport
2. Venus
3. Serena
4. Dementieva
5. Clijsters
6. Sharapova
7. Petrova
8. Hingis :angel:

Elldee
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
1. Lindsay
2. Kim
3. Maria
4. Venus
5. Amelie
6. Justine
7. Myskina
9. ...Safarova?

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM
1.Sharapova :bigclap:
2.Serena
3.Petrova
4.Venus
5.Davenport
6.Clijsters
7.Mauresmo
8.Hingis :D

jochem
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
1. Lindsay
2. Kim
3. Mary
4. Amelie
5. Maria
6. Venus
7. Serena
8. Justine

sebbe
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
So serena is a top contender even tough she lost that big to Elena and the fact that she has some problems with her weight?

santhuruu
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
1.Venus
2.Serena
3.Lindsay
4.Amelie Mauresmo
5.Kim Clijsters
6.Justine Henin-Hardenne
7.Mary Pierce
8.Elena Dementieva

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Lindsay
Kim
Amelie
Masha
Justine
Mary
Venus
Serena

Capriatifan1
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
1 Davenport
2 Pierce
3 Dementieva
4 Clijsters
5 Safarova
6 Sharapova
7 Hingis
8 Zvonareva

dav abu
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
1.Davenport, 2.Dementieva, 3.Kim, 4. Momo, 5.Mary, 6.Maria, 7.Venus, 8.Justine.

Allez Joosteen
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Has there even been a Pierce sighting? I don't know if I'd call her a contender despite her stellar season last year.

SloKid
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Lindsay hot? No way!

Oh wait, you mean by their playing skills...

TomTennis
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Davenport
4. Clijsters
5. Pierce
6. Hingis
7. Capriati
8. Henin-Hardenne

ivanovic
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ana Ivanovic
Jelena Jankovic

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
1. Davenport
2. Henin-Hardenne
3. Serena W
4. Kuznetsova
5. Venus W
6. Clijsters
7. Pierce
8. Sharapova
9. Schnyder
10. Vaidisova

josved
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
1. Clijsters
2. Davenport
3. Sharapova
4. Amelie
5. Henin
6. Dementieva
7. Pierce
8. Venus W.

kris_85
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM
clijsters
davenport
sharapova
pierce
venus
henin
amelie
HINGIS

azmad_88
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Clijsters or Davenport ( whoever wins HK will be number 1)

3.Dementieva
4.Mauresmo
5.Pierce
6.Sharapova
7.Shnyder
8.Venus

honeyke
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
1.clijsters
2.davenport
3.mauresmo
4.sharapova
5.henin-hardenne
6.venus williams
7.svetlana kuznetsova
8.elena dementieva

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:44 PM
In order of probability in mon avis,

1. Venus (is hungry to reclaim hardcourt dominance and aura)
2. Lindz (wants desperately that last, elusive Grand Slam title)
3. Kim (hardcourt dominance of last year makes her a favorite)
4. Mauresmo (previous finalist may overcome Grand Slam jitters)
5. Maria (perenial fighter is a consistent SF and may breakthrough with the right draw)
6. Justine (ditto above)
7. Mary (former champion could return to glory her with retooled game)
8. Serena (never count her out!)

everyone else is a longshot.

candystripe
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
1. Lindsay (Playing brill tennis at the moment and if she keeps this up for austrilia she could win it)
2. Kim
3. Momo
4. sharapova
5. Pierce
6. Serena W
7. henin-hardenne
8. Hingis? ( She will play well)

Pheobo
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
1. Lindsay
2. Pierce
3. Clijsters
4. Dementieva
5. Myskina (that's right)
6. Venus
7. Henin-Hardenne
8. Schnyder
9. Hingis
10. ...Cappy? ^^

davidmario
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
1. Venus (if she's fit)
2. Kim
3. Davenport
4. Dementieva
5. Pierce
6. Petrova
7. Zvonareva
8. Mauresmo

Maria Croft
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
1 Lindsay Davenport (I think if she keeps playing well and is healthy this could be her title)
2 Kim Clijsters (Kim could take this title if she stays focused)
3 Amelie Mauresmo (after the YEC she might finally have what it takes)
4 Mary Pierce (after two GS finals and the YEC it wouldn't surprise me to see Mary win this)
5 Maria Sharapova (The fighter that she is, if she can stay healthy for these two weeks she can do anything)
6 Serena Williams (the same goes for Serena, if she is healthy she can beat them all)
7 Venus Williams (She could do it, she is Venus. she can go all the way)
8 Justine Henin-Hardenne (well to be honest, from all the other girls left she has the best shot to win the title)

saki
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
In order of probability -

1. Justine - plays her best when she's fit and reports say she's looking very fit
2. Lindsay - looking good and probably feels the pressure least at this slam
3. Amelie - ditto, pretty much.
4. Maria - she's consistent and she won't lose without a fight (at a slam)
5. Kim - will get every ball back but the lack of a coach doesn't look promising
6. Venus - doesn't look particularly fit/motivated at the moment but can always produce a flash of brilliance unexpectedly.
7. Serena - ditto but looking even less happy on court than Venus.
8. Elena D - great groundstrokes but doesn't have enough drive to win a Slam final against pretty much any of the above.

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM
doesn't look particularly fit/motivated at the moment but can always produce a flash of brilliance unexpectedly. Well, I hope that you are wrong because she will need to be both fit and motivated to win. I didn't like the look for the first training pictures I saw, but two weeks is a long way away.

eugreene2
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I say

1) K Clijsters
2) V Williams
3) S Williams (If she's in Vee's draw, she drops to 6)
4) L Davenport (losing record against the William sisters in GSlams)
5) M Sharapova
6) A Mauresmo
7) M Pierce
8) E Dementieva

Martyś
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM
1. Lindsay
2. Maria
3. Ve
4. Justine
5. Amelie
6. Mary
7. Kim
8. Serena

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
My guesses:

1 - Lindsay
2 - Kim
3 - Justine
4 - Venus
5 - Mauresmo
6 - Maria S
7 - Dementieva
8 - Mary

Those who might make a run, but I don't think will win:

Ana Ivanovic
Nicole Vaidisova
Martina Hingis
Lucie Safarova
Dinara Safina
Nastya Myskina
Vera Zvonareva
Francesca Schiavone
Serena Williams
Patty Schnyder
Sveta Kuznetsova
Jen Cap (?)
Michaella Krajicek

ns_Henin
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
1.Kim
2.Clijsters
3.Umm.. Kim Clijsters :confused:
4.Lindsay
5.Venus
6.Maria
7.Amelie
8.Mary

jfk
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
The SWEET 16:

Frontrunners
1. Kim Clijsters - clearly back in form; among top seeds
2. Lindsay Davenport - ditto

Other Top Contenders
3. Mary Pierce - former champ, but a mystery form-wise at this point
4. Amelie Mauresmo - confidence from big win + previous AO final

Wildcards - The Injured Stars
5. Venus Williams - would have been in the above group before HK injury
6. Justine-Henin Hardenne - former AO champ but rumors of injury/fatigue
7. Maria Sharapova - rumors of withdrawal are never a good sign
8. Serena Williams - tempted to remove her due to bad form, but is the defending champ

In The Mix - The "Average Top Players"
9. Elena Dementieva
10. Patty Schnyder - past AO success
11. Nadia Petrova - injured
12. Anastasia Myskina - unknown
13. Svetlana Kuznetsova - she's baaaaack

The Rising Stars
14. Ana Ivanovic
15. Nicole Vaidisova
16. Martina Hingis - where DID she come from? ;)

Capriati goes into the last group if she plays. You could make a case for Krajicek and Safarova as well. Zvonareva would go into the second-to-last group if she keeps it up.

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Won't know until after Sydney is over and we see how they have performed there. Right now, both Serena and Hingis are big question marks. Serena is the real question mark, as her knee injury and apparently lack of conditioning could very much hamper her in the hot Australian sun.

Simplicity
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
1. Kim Clijsters :)
2. Mary Pierce :)
3. Lindsay Davenport :o
4. Venus Williams :)
5. Amelie Mauresmo
6. Maria Sharapova :rolleyes: :o
7. Justine Henin Hardenne
8. Serena Williams

** I think I am right on the dot. I hope that Venus wins. I know that Clijsters won't.

Wizzy Maryfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
:angel: I can't imagine that some of you put people like Hingis or Petrova or Capriati !

I mean, it's not "the top 8 you want to" but the top 8 who will have a real chance !
And I'm sorry but Capriati is not sure to compete, Petrova is always injured and she just won one tournament and can't compete with the real best ...
Then, Serena is out of shape and she's injured and you put her as the top ?
It's not serious ...

I won't put an order but the one who really have a shot are, to my mind :
Mary Pierce, Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin.

In fact, I think a player like Masha won't be able to beat Kim or Lindsay (because she seems to be injured again and hmm ... i'm not sure tennis is the key world of her world for the moment), Mauresmo can't beat Davenport, Venus was just ridiculous against Lindz in HK, Hingis is clearly far from being able to win 7 matches in 14 days (she was so tired after her match against Koukalova) ... Dementieva said she can but I'm not sure she's really aware 'cause she was all but good during the masters :/

The one who have a chance against ALL GIRLS are clearly Mary, Lindz, Kim and Justine, they prooved it last year.

And I really hope that this year, Mary and Lindsay will win a Slam (at least one) because they deserve it so much for their last season and their last finals.

But one thing is sure : the better all over these two weeks will win, and we'll know her name in 3 weeks :angel:
Hope her name will begin by a P and finish by "ierce" :drool:

Anna F'd Enrique
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
DAVENPORT and CLIJSTERS only so far

Simplicity
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
1. Venus Williams
2. Venus Williams
3. Venus??
4. Ebony Starr Willliams?
5. .... Venus :???:
6. Venus?
7. Serena?
8. Williams??

madame_maria
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
i guess it's almost certain that four names will definitely be seen in the quarterfinals AT LEAST.

Lindsay Davenport
Kim Clijsters
Maria Sharapova
Mary Pierce.

Lindsay because she could beat anyone playing just 75% of her ability. Kim's never really performed badly at any tournaments since her return so far so she's really the consistent one. Maria basically fights her way, by hook or by crook, to the semifinals where eventually either her fatigue or injury catches up with her again. Mary, being one of the consistent hitters on court, such that her level of play does not really seem to flunctuate that much, she'll get through to the quarterfinals almost definitely unless she's really really unlucky.

Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo.

Justine being the only one who has lost first round so far, she's the only one who would probably make the brokers really a bit. Amelie has the tendency to reach at least midway through the tournament and she could possibly get some substantial help from that YEC win.

Elena Dementieva/Nadia Petrova.

The constant pattern of having at least 2 Russian players going into the quarterfinals forced me to make a choice. Elena for how well we know she can play and Nadia for the consistent appearances in the later rounds in most tournaments from 2005.

Nicole Vaidisova.

Every tournament there has to be a dark horse for the semifinal spot (and i'm not saying the dark horse for the trophy) and there are several options this time around. Rather experienced, powerful hitters who are not playing at full capacity yet. I'd say it was a toss up between Nicole, Ana Ivanovic, Sania Mirza and Michaella Krajicek for me. I picked Nicole basically because she already has the capacity to break into the 3rd round with her current standard of play without substantial opstacles and judging from public's opinion of her, i should guess we'd be expecting great things from this kid in 2006.

so yeap! my choices from the "confirmed", "rather confirmed", "Hmmmmm" and "Lucky Kiddo".

Billy Moonshine
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Pierce- If she is fit and healthy she will come here knowing she can win on the surface and a confident Pierce is a very, very scary prospect for the opposition. She will also be hungry to atone for her three big final losses last season. She is my favorite to win.
Clisters- Former finalist and US Open champ, she had the better of everyone on HC last year and though the Rebound Ace is slower that will suit her too, more time to get to balls and put that defensive game in action. But otoh it gives the bigger hitters more time to get to the ball and blast away. She will come here full of confidence after last year and mentally tough, knowing she can win big matches.
Venus- If she is fit, she will be as hard to beat as ever and she will be looking to add the Oz open crown to her collection. It all depends on her fitness, and there are questions being raised about this in HK, which is why she is my number three pick.
Davenport- What can be said about this woman? She is the number one and last year's two time GS runner up. When she is on, as she has proven at 3 GS in the past, she is unbeatable but doubts remain about her big match mentality and her bad luck of picking up injuries at final stages. However she has suffered some harsh defeats in the last year and if she can get her head around them and learn, she will be a threat to win.
Mauresmo- Finally, with a big win at the WTA Champs, she has shown she can win big matches and with previous success at Melbourne park she should be optimistic about her chances.
Henin- A former champ and a fighter, she could pull it off, but lack of match play and injury may prove to be too big obstacles to overcome.
Schyder- A former semi-finalist, she is capable of a great win.Could this be her breakthrough?
Serena- Questions fly from all corners. Is she injured? Is she motivated? Is she going to lose a few pounds and work out? All I know is never count out Serena Williams...

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
The SWEET 16:

Frontrunners
1. Kim Clijsters - clearly back in form; among top seeds
2. Lindsay Davenport - ditto

Other Top Contenders
3. Mary Pierce - former champ, but a mystery form-wise at this point
4. Amelie Mauresmo - confidence from big win + previous AO final

Wildcards - The Injured Stars
5. Venus Williams - would have been in the above group before HK injury
6. Justine-Henin Hardenne - former AO champ but rumors of injury/fatigue
7. Maria Sharapova - rumors of withdrawal are never a good sign
8. Serena Williams - tempted to remove her due to bad form, but is the defending champ

In The Mix - The "Average Top Players"
9. Elena Dementieva
10. Patty Schnyder - past AO success
11. Nadia Petrova - injured
12. Anastasia Myskina - unknown
13. Svetlana Kuznetsova - she's baaaaack

The Rising Stars
14. Ana Ivanovic
15. Nicole Vaidisova
16. Martina Hingis - where DID she come from? ;)

Capriati goes into the last group if she plays. You could make a case for Krajicek and Safarova as well. Zvonareva would go into the second-to-last group if she keeps it up.I like your grouping, except that I would call the fourth group the spoilers, as I can really see any of them winning the Aus Open, but they could knock out one of the contenders. And Hingis? Well, I just don't see that one. I don't see her beating any of the other players on the list.

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
And I really hope that this year, Mary and Lindsay will win a Slam (at least one) because they deserve it so much for their last season and their last finals. I like them both. But they will deserve it when they win it and not before. They both had opportunities; neither converted. Perhaps they will in 2006!

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Lindsay because she could beat anyone playing just 75% of her ability. ok. but the last six years of slam performances would start to make any, but a diehard fan wonder. :lol:

manu32
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
davenport
clijsters
pierce
sharapova
myskina
schnyder
venus
and jen cap ???

Ryan
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
1. Kim Clijsters - will play her way into top form by Oz, and has been playing the best tennis of any of the top players. Plus, she's healthy.

2. Lindsay Davenport - I'm just putting Lindsay here because she always goes deep in slams. I don't see her winning this, or any other major, ever again. I've lost all faith in her ability to play important matches, but she'll probably make the semis.

3. Mary Pierce - Although she hasn't played yet this year, I see Mary doing damge in the draw and making the QF's at least, unless she's fat or injured.

4. Maria Sharapova - She is "injured" right now, but I doubt that will affect her performance at Oz where she should make the semis unless she has a super tough draw.

5. Venus Williams - I don't care if she's injured either, it won't really hamper her play until she loses. IF she loses. Venus is too streaky to accurately predict any of her results, but if she plays well she'll make it far.

6. Amelie Mauresmo - The WTA Champs wont help her head enough to win, but she'll make the quarters.

7. Justine Henin-Hardenne - Meh, not sure about her either. Could make it far, could win, could flame out early.

8. Elena Dementieva - could put it together and make it far, but I guarantee she won't win.

udachi Elena
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
1.Davenport
2. Clijsters
3. Dementieva
4. Pierce
5. Sharapova
6. Petrova
7. Venus
8. Hingis (wishful thinking)

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
after this week's play, i totally expect serena to plummet to the bottom 30 in the rankings after the AO, i just don't have confidence in her right now. the title is all for davenport.

Fingon
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but

how can someone seriously think that Petrova, Vaidisova, Ana (at this time) or Safarova can be candidates is totally beyond me :confused:

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I know everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but

how can someone seriously think that Petrova, Vaidisova, Ana (at this time) or Safarova can be candidates is totally beyond me :confused:

:lol: I believe these are the same folk who believe in the Easter bunny, the Tooth Fairy , and Bigfoot :rolls:

Fingon
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I can't imagine that some of you put people like Hingis or Petrova or Capriati !

I mean, it's not "the top 8 you want to" but the top 8 who will have a real chance !

quite right, in the case of Petrova he name keep coming, no matter what she does, people are really blind about her, despite all evidence she is still considered and elite player :confused:

And I'm sorry but Capriati is not sure to compete, Petrova is always injured and she just won one tournament and can't compete with the real best ...

exactly, Capriati is not Monica, at best it will take her a few tournaments to go back to her old form, and that might not be enough. Petrova? nothing to add, she just isn't as good.

Then, Serena is out of shape and she's injured and you put her as the top ?

I disagree here, I am not sure if Serena is injured or unmotivated, I agree she is not a favourite but she is the kind of players I would never, ever rule out.

It's not serious ...

believe it or not, for some people it is.

I won't put an order but the one who really have a shot are, to my mind :
Mary Pierce, Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin.

I agree and disagree, I mean, the choices are very reasonable, but Mary and Lindsay have shown a remarkable ability to crash out in finals.
Normally I would say that Kim and Justine would be the clear favourites, but motivation in Kim's case and health (and motivation) in Justine's case are an issue here, so yeah, maybe Lindsay and Mary do have a chance.

In fact, I think a player like Masha won't be able to beat Kim or Lindsay (because she seems to be injured again and hmm ... i'm not sure tennis is the key world of her world for the moment),

well, she is injured but we don't know how injured.
Regarding tennis not being the key word for her, I have seen nothing that suggests it's not, of course, only she knows but I don't think it's the case, in any case, the same could be said about Lindsay, Kim or even Justine.

Mauresmo can't beat Davenport, Venus was just ridiculous against Lindz in HK, Hingis is clearly far from being able to win 7 matches in 14 days (she was so tired after her match against Koukalova) ... Dementieva said she can but I'm not sure she's really aware 'cause she was all but good during the masters :/

Mauresmo has showed many times the badly crashes out in big moments, until she proves otherwise that will be my assessment of her chances.
Lindsay/Venus, well, it was Hong Kong, I never take exhibitions seriously.
Hingis? well, she might be able to win a GS in the future, maybe even this year, but this soon? no way.

The one who have a chance against ALL GIRLS are clearly Mary, Lindz, Kim and Justine, they prooved it last year.

I would add Masha to that mix.
[/QUOTE]

_LuCaS_
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Kim and Lindsay are main favourites followed by Mauresmo, Kuznetsova and Pierce.

40-0
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
1.Lindsay
2.Kim
3.Pierce
4.Venus
5.Elena
6.Mauresmo
7.Sharapova
8.Serena

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
the title is all for davenport. So was the U.S. Open in 2004. (and some would argue Aus 2005 and Wimbledon 2005) We know what happened. We'll see.

franny
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
1. Clijsters - She did just win the U.S Open, and she has Davenport's number. If they play in the finals, I'd bet on Clijsters to win. Her main adversaries, Venus, Serena, and Henin-Hardenne are all doubtful.

2. Davenport - I'd rank her number 1 on this list if she weren't such a chokejob. She can seriously be a point away from a slam and still find some way to lose. She's proven to me that fate isn't on her side one too many times. However, she is still showing such amazing form and she is one of the best players consistently over the past 3 years. If she makes the finals without having to play a Williams or a Belgian, I'd say she'd win it. But if she has to play against a fighter in the final, then I'd say she's a longshot.

3. Henin-Hardenne - I really don't know what form she is in. I'll have to see how she does at Sydney so she can be moved lower. We know she can win slams when she's on. We know she doesn't need too much match play to get back into the swing of things. We know that her two main adversaries, Venus and Serena, are both hurt right now, so if she played them I'd give her the edge. I think she can handle Davenport and Clijsters in a slam, she's shown that she can. The main thing is how fit is she? She needs to be at 100% to play these girls because she's so much smaller. In the past, it has been her fitness that has pulled her through. Let's see how well she has recovered from the injury.

4. Amelie Mauresmo - Straight off the biggest win of her life, I'd say she's got a real chance here. Many of the top players are injured, and I believe that this is her best chance to get over her slam mental block. She's done well here in the past, and the high bounce should favor her. Again, Venus and Serena are injured so this is the best time for her to beat them. But the biggest question for her is....can she beat Davenport, Clijsters, and Henin? I think that she's pretty even against Henin, and she did just beat Clijsters, but she is horrific against Davenport. Can she repeat her 99 win over Big D or will she be blown off the court, again. But still, this is the Frenchwoman's best chance to win a slam in years. The field is weakened and she seems to have gotten newfound confidence from her YEC win.

5. Mary Pierce - She came so close last year, and the U.S Open and YEC showed that she can beat the top ten girls. I was kinda doubtful even after the FO cuz she didn't really play that many top girls. However, beating Davenport twice, beatinng Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Henin-Hardenne, and nearly winning the YEC, I'd say she's been improving throughout last year and hopefully she's continued to improve this off season. An even fitter Mary can finally pull through in one of these big matches and get herself that third slam, that I think will secure her place in the hall of fame. She might even be able to reach number 1, seeing as how she has so little points to defend. I think that she's almost there, she just needs to get that extra half step to propell herself to a win.

6. Elena Dementieva - Ms. "I'm good enough now to win a slam" has a great opportunity to prove herself here. She has the game to win slams. I don't know how her serve has improved, but if the top guns lose before she has to play them, then I'd say she has a shot. The reason this is her best chance is because she has shown that she can beat Mauresmo and Davenport in slams. Venus and Serena are injured, so that takes away two major roadblocks for her. The three left standing in her way are the Belgians and Pierce. She can beat Pierce, but can she beat Clijsters and Henin? That is the question. We shall see. If she has to play too many of the top players, I don't like her chances. But still, she can win, and is a major darkhorse to at least reach the finals or semis.

7. Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova - Both have suffered from injuries. It appears that both injuries are not serious enough to prevent them from playing the Open, but lack of match play and unpredictability of injuries really hamper their chances to win. It seems like on any given day, their injury can reoccur and cause them to lose. Both have the game to win and are grand slam champs. Both are great fighters and have the power to blow anyone off the court. Both, if playing well, and go crazy and out of their mind and produce tennis that is worthy of number 1 status. However, both are streaky, and unpredictable, and hurt. It will be interesting to see how they fare in their early round matches and if their injuries will stay under control.

8. Serena Williams - Serena is a big mystery. Last year she came in fitter and determined. I don't know how determined she is this year, but I know she is not as fit. Last year, she was healthy. This year, she is not. She just withdrew from HK and I just don't know how she is doing or whether she can practice much at all. She went into the Open and Wimbledon in horrible shape. It does not look like she has improved much, though she is freaking Serena Williams. Who knows, I have not seen her play yet, so she can prove me wrong. She is the most feared player in the game when she is on fire. If she catches on fire, you besta watch out, cuz homegirl does not mess around. Still, if she had to play a Davenport, a Pierce, or a Venus, I don't like her chances. These players will run her around and exploit her fitness. If she is not as fit as she used to be, she cannot counter their shots with her own power shots. She will have to rely on going for outright winners, which means that unless her timing and footwork are on, she is not going to win.

Other darkhorses to maybe make a splash: Kuznetsova, Zvonereva, Safarova, Hingis, Myskina, Schnyder, Ivanovic, and Mirza, and Golovin. All have the ability to upset one or two of the top, but none of them will win the title.

gmak
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
1.Kim
2.Lindsay
3.Mary
4.Justine
5.Masha
6.Amelie
7.Venus
8. .......

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Kim Clijsters
Lindsay Davenport
Venus Williams
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Serena Williams
Mary Pierce
Maria Sharapova
Martina Hingis

Darkhorses:
Ana Ivanovic (she should make at least the 4th round, and with a decent draw could get further.)
Nicole Vaidisova (same)
Amelie Mauresmo

köj-è
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Kim.. Kim.. Kim.. Kim.. Kim.. !!!

iWill
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
1. Venus
2. Kim
3. Lindsay
4. Justine
5. Maria
6. Mary
7. Serena
8. Amelie

SUPER
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Kim 35%
Lindsay 20%
Dementieva 15%
Mauresmo 9%
Pierce 8%
Henin 6-80% (who knows, unpredictable)
Masha 4%

Other (petrova...petrova...¿seren... petrova...) 3%

iWill
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
1. Clijsters - She did just win the U.S Open, and she has Davenport's number. If they play in the finals, I'd bet on Clijsters to win. Her main adversaries, Venus, Serena, and Henin-Hardenne are all doubtful.

2. Davenport - I'd rank her number 1 on this list if she weren't such a chokejob. She can seriously be a point away from a slam and still find some way to lose. She's proven to me that fate isn't on her side one too many times. However, she is still showing such amazing form and she is one of the best players consistently over the past 3 years. If she makes the finals without having to play a Williams or a Belgian, I'd say she'd win it. But if she has to play against a fighter in the final, then I'd say she's a longshot.

3. Henin-Hardenne - I really don't know what form she is in. I'll have to see how she does at Sydney so she can be moved lower. We know she can win slams when she's on. We know she doesn't need too much match play to get back into the swing of things. We know that her two main adversaries, Venus and Serena, are both hurt right now, so if she played them I'd give her the edge. I think she can handle Davenport and Clijsters in a slam, she's shown that she can. The main thing is how fit is she? She needs to be at 100% to play these girls because she's so much smaller. In the past, it has been her fitness that has pulled her through. Let's see how well she has recovered from the injury.

4. Amelie Mauresmo - Straight off the biggest win of her life, I'd say she's got a real chance here. Many of the top players are injured, and I believe that this is her best chance to get over her slam mental block. She's done well here in the past, and the high bounce should favor her. Again, Venus and Serena are injured so this is the best time for her to beat them. But the biggest question for her is....can she beat Davenport, Clijsters, and Henin? I think that she's pretty even against Henin, and she did just beat Clijsters, but she is horrific against Davenport. Can she repeat her 99 win over Big D or will she be blown off the court, again. But still, this is the Frenchwoman's best chance to win a slam in years. The field is weakened and she seems to have gotten newfound confidence from her YEC win.

5. Mary Pierce - She came so close last year, and the U.S Open and YEC showed that she can beat the top ten girls. I was kinda doubtful even after the FO cuz she didn't really play that many top girls. However, beating Davenport twice, beatinng Clijsters, Mauresmo, and Henin-Hardenne, and nearly winning the YEC, I'd say she's been improving throughout last year and hopefully she's continued to improve this off season. An even fitter Mary can finally pull through in one of these big matches and get herself that third slam, that I think will secure her place in the hall of fame. She might even be able to reach number 1, seeing as how she has so little points to defend. I think that she's almost there, she just needs to get that extra half step to propell herself to a win.

6. Elena Dementieva - Ms. "I'm good enough now to win a slam" has a great opportunity to prove herself here. She has the game to win slams. I don't know how her serve has improved, but if the top guns lose before she has to play them, then I'd say she has a shot. The reason this is her best chance is because she has shown that she can beat Mauresmo and Davenport in slams. Venus and Serena are injured, so that takes away two major roadblocks for her. The three left standing in her way are the Belgians and Pierce. She can beat Pierce, but can she beat Clijsters and Henin? That is the question. We shall see. If she has to play too many of the top players, I don't like her chances. But still, she can win, and is a major darkhorse to at least reach the finals or semis.

7. Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova - Both have suffered from injuries. It appears that both injuries are not serious enough to prevent them from playing the Open, but lack of match play and unpredictability of injuries really hamper their chances to win. It seems like on any given day, their injury can reoccur and cause them to lose. Both have the game to win and are grand slam champs. Both are great fighters and have the power to blow anyone off the court. Both, if playing well, and go crazy and out of their mind and produce tennis that is worthy of number 1 status. However, both are streaky, and unpredictable, and hurt. It will be interesting to see how they fare in their early round matches and if their injuries will stay under control.

8. Serena Williams - Serena is a big mystery. Last year she came in fitter and determined. I don't know how determined she is this year, but I know she is not as fit. Last year, she was healthy. This year, she is not. She just withdrew from HK and I just don't know how she is doing or whether she can practice much at all. She went into the Open and Wimbledon in horrible shape. It does not look like she has improved much, though she is freaking Serena Williams. Who knows, I have not seen her play yet, so she can prove me wrong. She is the most feared player in the game when she is on fire. If she catches on fire, you besta watch out, cuz homegirl does not mess around. Still, if she had to play a Davenport, a Pierce, or a Venus, I don't like her chances. These players will run her around and exploit her fitness. If she is not as fit as she used to be, she cannot counter their shots with her own power shots. She will have to rely on going for outright winners, which means that unless her timing and footwork are on, she is not going to win.

Other darkhorses to maybe make a splash: Kuznetsova, Zvonereva, Safarova, Hingis, Myskina, Schnyder, Ivanovic, and Mirza, and Golovin. All have the ability to upset one or two of the top, but none of them will win the title.

This is prolly one of the best posts about the contenders for the OZ open. You took the words right out of my mouth for the Venus and Maria part and Elena is the same but if she faces Kim I dont see her winning becasue Kim beat her last year at Indian Wells and Miami, but Elena might not let that bother her. I think this is one of the best chances Venus has had at the OZ since she got to the final in 03 if she can shake off her injury and with a decent draw she should go far. Lindsay has a shot like every other slam but she could see Pierce in the QF that'll be interesting. Depending on how JHH is she could possibly win it all. She hasnt proven herself to be back to form on hardcourts but if she wants it she and Serena are the only ones I believe can take their level of play a step above the others and with Serena as a big ? JHH has a shot but she could see Kim in the QF and if Kim is on her USO form JHH is in trouble.

Barlos
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
1) Davenport
2) Clijsters

BIG GAP

3) Mauresmo
4) Pierce
5) Henin-Hardenne
6) Dementieva
7) Venus
8) Hingis

DomenicDemaria
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
1. Mary
2. Lindsay
3. Kim
4. Justine
5. Venus
6. Nastya
7. Elena D
8. Amelie

Rexman
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I did top 20

Top Contenders

1. Kim Clijsters. On outdoor hardcourts last year she was unstoppable. She literally beat everyone and a lot of times pretty handidly. She loves Australia and her movement on Rebound ace is...well ace.

2. Lindsay Davenport. She made the final last year and has two crushing victories in Hong Kong over Venus and Nicole. She seems to be in good spirits and striking the ball as well as ever. Most importantly, she seems to be very fit.

3. Mary Pierce. I hesitate just a bit with this one. When she's playing well, she's arguably the best player out there, however she can stink a place up pretty quick like we saw in Paris and New York. Still, her seeding will be better than it has been in the two slams where she made finals, no reason why she shouldn't make some noise.

4. Amelie Mauresmo. She's finally come through in the clutch, downing Sharapova and Pierce in L.A. Rebound ace is a good surface for her, as her spins will be quite effectice. She'll be best served playing her net rushing game. As is almost cliche now, it's all mental for her.

5. Venus Williams. Assuming the Hong Kong injury isn't serious, she's playing great tennis. Her mix of power and speed can give anyone trouble. She has the heart of a lion, which will serve her well given the fragile minds of some of the other top contenders.

6. Maria Sharapova. Rumors of a withdrawal and suspect serving land Sharapova at the bottom of the top contender's list. If she doesn't have her serve, don't be shocked to see her out in the 4th round. If she has it, don't be shocked to see her power her way into the finals.

Unknown Quantities

1. Justine Henin-Hardenne. Hasn't played since a shocking straight sets upset to Flavia Pennetta. One of the best fighters in the game and has one of the most complete games on tour. She's the 2004 champion and can play with the crowd on her side or against her.

2. Serena Williams. After a poor showing against Elena Dementieva in Hong Kong, one wouldn't be surprised to see the 7 time grand slam champion ousted before the third round. However, if there's one thing we should all know, it's to never count out Serena Williams. No one plays better in the clutch, and she's fighting for her life here.

3. Anastasia Myskina. After being announced ITF world champion in 2004, Myskina suffered from an array of personal and physical problems in the first half of 2005. Her second half should have given her the needed confidence to play at a top level. No one has a better backhand down the line.

4. Martina Hingis. With an intimidating record down under, Hingis could win matches on reputation alone. Her groundies seem as sharp as ever and her serve is slightly improved. A hip flexor injury may have spoiled her chances for a great run, but never rule out a champion like Hingis.

5. Svetlana Kuznetsova. Had a great week in Hopman Cup, winning all her matches. She had a mediocre 2005 season, however if she's back in form can hit the ball harder than anybody. Given the right draw, she could go far.

Spoilers

1. Patty Schnyder. She's appeared in the semi's and quarters here the last two years, meaning she's used to pulling off the upset. This year she'll be seed high enough that she's expected to make the later stages of the tournament. She loves rebound ace, and isn't a name most players want to see in their part of the draw.

2. Nicole Vaidisova. The fast-rising Czech has one of the best serves in the business. The sixteen year old doesn't hold anything back on the court, and will do everything in her power to win.

3. Nadia Petrova. She made the fourth round for the first time last year, losing in three sets to the eventual champion Serena Williams. A groin injury may limit her chances of causing an "upset" but the emotional Russian should never be counted out.

4. Elena Dementieva. While it's highly unlikely that the two-time grand slam runner-up will walk away with the trophy, she's shown that her booming ground game makes her a force not to be taken lightly. She hasn't however, traditionally faired well down under.

5. Ana Ivanovic. Another tough teenager. Knows what it's like to cause an upset as she downed Amelie Mauresmo in Paris this year. Did pretty well in Hopman Cup this past week as well. Her seeding will make it tough for her to make the quarters, but don't be too surprised if she downs one big name.

The Rest

1. Vera Zvonareva. Regardless of what happens in the final, she played amazingly well this week in Auckland. Her seeding will be low, meaning it'll take a great effort for her to make the 4th round. Still, she's as dangerous as they come.

2. Nathalie Dechy. She downed two top contenders last year en route to the semifinals, where she very nearly beat Lindsay Davenport. Unfortunately, an injury may prevent her from playing her best, and she hasn't shown the fight in the past to gut out the big matches.

3. Francesca Schiavone. Ended 2005 well, making the Moscow finals and taking Davenport to three sets but was ushered out in a her by petite spaniard Nuria Llagostera-Vives. Unlikely to make it out of the 4th round.

4. Elena Likhovtseva. She's been a thorn in the sides of her fellow Russians, attacking weak second serves and using her experience to great effect. Her game isn't quite good enough however, to take out the best when they are having a good day.

Buitenzorg
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:11 AM
1. Lindsay
2. Kim
3. Henin-Hardenne
4. Kuznetsova
5. Pierce
6. Sharapova
7. Dementieva
8. Hantuchova

Zauber
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:29 AM