PDA

View Full Version : Should Hingis Play Sydney?

azinna
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:22 AM
When she announced her January schedule (GC, Sydney, then AO) the bulk of us felt that it only made sense if she got knocked out quite early in GC, and not so early in Sydney.

Now she's played 4 matches (won 3, lost 1), 2 of which were 3-setters. And we're looking at a situation in which she could win another 3 matches (or more?) at Sydney.

Of course, she and her team know herself and her condition better than we....but what are folks thinking? Should she bag on Sydney, spend the week working on what needs further sharpening, and come to Melbourne fresh, happy with the GC week and hungry for more? Or do you think a few more matches at Sydney (tougher competition, more practice closing out sets) would do more good than harm?

ZAK
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Now that she's commited to it, she should play. Whether should of signed up in the first place idk

njnetswill
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Yes...draw will be tougher at Sydney...and she will prob win no more than one match IMO.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Sydney will be her first REAL test! :hearts:

Her opponents in Sydney will be mostly TOP 30. :yeah:

polishprodigy
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I think she will lose in r1, unless she draws a WC, qualifier or vento kabchi type player

ceiling_fan
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM
yes :fiery: because i wanna see her dammit :angel:

K-Dog
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Hingis needs to play in Sydney to get fit and match play. She needs to take positives away from loses, not get negative. She hasn't played in 3 years, it is going to take time to get back.

ctan88
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM
YEAH!!! Hingis will play SYDNEY coz im gonna go see her as well!!!

PLUS ... she needs the match play

faboozadoo15
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:44 AM
i think some people who think she should be resting up are WAY too optimistic. i mean, im a hingis fan and all, but i'm not about to be thinking that she's gonna be making some deep run at the aus open. she should get as many matches against good opponents as possible to get fit, get points, and to get matches.

Prizeidiot
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I wanna see her! :p

franny
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:36 AM
She needs to play even tougher opponents to get used to them, so yes, she should. Depending on her draw, I'm not expecting anything beyond a quarterfinal.

Buitenzorg
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
YEAH!!! Hingis will play SYDNEY coz im gonna go see her as well!!!

PLUS ... she needs the match play

me too ;) can't wait !

Jakeev
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM
I guess Martina's hip flexor injury is similar to what Mary Pierce and Lindsay Davenport dealt with a lot in 2005.

Only thing is, those two were often able to recover from it cause they would not have to play the next week.

Not sure she can recover in time to manage to play Sydney.

Geisha
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hingis has played five matches in five days - singles and doubles included. Maybe she should, maybe she shouldn't play Sydney.

tennisjam
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM
yes (if her injury is gone) but she should avoid doubles...

Her fitness is far from being ready, especially under those heats...

azinna
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I sympathise with the fans who want to see Hingis live and on TV in Sydney, but even without this last (hopefully minor) hip injury, I would have recommended rest, training/improvements and a plan to win a couple of matches in Melbourne. Coming off such a long layoff, she should plan on getting match fit over the next 3 months, not 3 weeks. Just to give her muscles, tendons and ligaments time to get with the strenuous programme. She said it best actually: "You can't always expect everything to be perfect with your body when you haven't done that much in three years." Hope she's heeding her own words.

alfonsojose
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I want her to withdraw. If don't , no doubles in Sidney Martina

jonny84
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I think Martina should play Sydney. She shouldn't worry about playing doubles though and just concentrate on singles.

The draw will be much much tougher. She could be facing one of the seeds in 1R, which will be exciting for us to watch, but not for Martina to play. She will need to face tougher competetion and a top player before Melbourne too.

santhuruu
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
yes she should play.

St.Sebastian
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM
She should definitely play! Singles only though...
Even if she gets crashed 61 61 by one of the top seeds (Which is not very likely), it should give her some good match practice. And after 3 years, every match is important for her to get back to where she belongs.

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I think she has to, if her hip injury allows her to. But no doubles there and quite possibly, no doubles in the AO, unless she thinks that is her best shot at a title. Also, I think the reception she has received in Australia almost mandates she play, unless she is too injured to.

barmaid
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Martina has committed herself to play Sydney...what she shouldn't have done (in retrospect) was to play doubles...too much too soon.:sad: ..but hopefully her injury will allow her to play in Sydney not with the mental attitude of "winning it all" but taking each match at a time to get back on track!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

RAA
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
well after three years off she certainly should be well rested, no?..;)

I do think she needs match play though more than anything. if she had lost in the semis and not gotten hurt I think its a no brainer for her to play sydney. but since she got hurt she might need to be more cautious. her body is no way ready for the rigour of the tour.. yet.

creep
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
No. I've seen Sydney play, she's awesome.

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
i think she wants to play Sydney so bad. she just can't wait to beat top players and make a headline.

Meesh
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I think Syndey will be a good test for martina and since she committed she should play! The draw should be out soon right?

azinna
Jan 7th, 2006, 12:36 AM
i think she wants to play Sydney so bad. she just can't wait to beat top players and make a headline.

Definitely think this eagerness had something to do with the schedule. Hopefully she gets the scalp she wants within the next 2 months. But the body has to hold for that to happen......

LoveFifteen
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yes, if Hingis is not injured, she should play Sydney. But she really needs to stop playing doubles for now. Come back slowly, Martina!

Lennval
Jan 7th, 2006, 01:40 AM
yeah i think she should not play doubles at least until de aus open!

Go Martina!!

ashwu
Jan 7th, 2006, 02:52 AM
i heard she will face henin in the first rd?