PDA

View Full Version : Pennetta def. Hingis 2-6, 7-6, 6-2

Billabong
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
And Marti served for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd set:sad:

Still I hope she'll be positive about her tournament:)

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
yes...a good start for Hingis. she shouldn't be ashamed of this semi-final result after all the doubts that if she can even win a match. It is the media's fault and some fans that put the pressure that she can win this tournament. Pennetta is tough, she also beat Justine in Filderstadt in straight sets. For Martina to take Pennetta to 3 sets when Justine couldn't is a great sign. I advise Hingis to withdraw from doubles and head on down to Sydney. She got the matches that she want here.

She gained experience from this tournament and those 3 wins, as little they may be,are definitely VERY important in her psyche that she can still win matches. I'm proud of Martina Hingis! :)

franny
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Hey, you gotta be positive. In her first tournament back, she is playing at top 25 level. She has prove in this tournament that she can play back to back to back matches and that she can sustain a three set match. From this match and this tournament, it is clear that she has the game to get back to top ten at the end of the year. As of this moment, she just needs to play her way back into shape. I'm very proud of her. She's been taking many match points to win her matches and today showed that mentally she is still far from where she needs to be. Closing out matches is the toughest thing to do after a long layoff. She'll get it back with more match play and close sets. She played two close sets this week and lost both. With each that she starts to win, she'll become more confident and she'll get better and better. Way to go Martina and good luck in the future!

Jeff
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Yeah it's hard not to be sad, but really this was a great week for her. And this is ONLY her first tournament of the first week of the year. I mean only positive can be taken from this. Sure it's hard to see Hingis fall so early when we are used to her going further, but this is a new start for her...a great one at that.

Miranda
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:18 AM
getting to the semi-final after 3 years' absence, and beating 3 top 50 players is already a very good result, hingis will improve match after match :wavey:

Lindsayfan32
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:21 AM
It great to see her back and playing again Martina will only get better with the more matches she plays.