she served for it at 6-5 in the second :sad:

Alek
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Flavia :)
Good week Martina.

faboozadoo15
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM
too bad.
but that was incredible for a first tournament back.
only a seles-like effort could actually get a title.

SvetaPleaseWin.
flavia!!!!!!!

well done, i cant believe she closed out the match

Dexter
Flavia :woohoo: :banana: :bounce:

I knew it!!! :clap2:

Great comeback tournament Martina :hug: - Good luck in Sydney :)

Vincent
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:50 AM
:( I am tremendously upset!

LeRoy.
oh well :shrug:" Good week Marti :yeah:

Penetta said she didn't believe she could beat Martina yet she did :)

hablo
well, now Hingis knows what she needs to do (just trying to see the positives) !!! :sad:

Allez Martina, you did better than expected in this tournie!! :D:bounce:

VeeReeDavJCap81
:sad: I hope this doesn't discourage her at all.

K-Dog
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Wow, shit. That sux the big one. Better luck next week in Sydney Martina.

Hantuchov
Flavietta! :hearts: :drool: :yeah: :D :woohoo:

I soooo knew you could do it! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now take this title tomorrow, andiamo! :bounce:

Great come back tournament, Martina! :yeah: Nothing to be ashamed of, just keep working hard and good luck in the next tournaments! :kiss: :hug:

crazyroberto6767
I'm not going to be disappointed at all. I promised myself I wouldn't change my expectations. I just wanted her to get 2-3 matches in, instead she won 3 matches. I'm VERY happy with her first tournament back. I did have a feeling that Marti might lose a match she should have won this week, because she did take a lot of match points in her other matches. It'll come along as the season progresses, her fitness will improve as well. I hope she's just smart with scheduling singles and doubles and not doing both at every tournament. This is a GREAT tournament back, and she did far better than most that she would. So I am happy :).

Awesome job Flavia, you're definitely solidifying your spot in the top-20. I'll be cheering for Lucie tomorrow though ;), since she is one my favs as well.

franny
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Posted this on the other one, I'm not typing a new message.

Hey, you gotta be positive. In her first tournament back, she is playing at top 25 level. She has prove in this tournament that she can play back to back to back matches and that she can sustain a three set match. From this match and this tournament, it is clear that she has the game to get back to top ten at the end of the year. As of this moment, she just needs to play her way back into shape. I'm very proud of her. She's been taking many match points to win her matches and today showed that mentally she is still far from where she needs to be. Closing out matches is the toughest thing to do after a long layoff. She'll get it back with more match play and close sets. She played two close sets this week and lost both. With each that she starts to win, she'll become more confident and she'll get better and better. Way to go Martina and good luck in the future!

Billabong
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM
yep, I guess it will take some time until Martina really comes back 100% ready physically for a 3-sets match! I hope she stays positive:)!

I hope she didn't have match points though;):o

Brooks.
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM
too bad.
but that was incredible for a first tournament back.
only a seles-like effort could actually get a title.

or Serena ;)

switz
there's really not too much to be disappointed about. I predicted pretty much this score with Martina winning easily then Flavia getting the 2nd set breaker and then cruising.

Peopel underestimate Flavia as well on this board. She's found her game and she's only going higher this year.

*hingis_forever*
:sad:Great week Martina! :D

Pennetta's a tough player so to get so close is amazing! Just keep improving every match! :)

azinna
Good stuff from Flavia (Moya's partner?). Wonder how the match actually went. What got that 2nd set to be more competitive......

Meanwhile, very good week from Hingis. Very encouraging signs. I'm not actually sure now if she should play Sydney before the Aussie Open.

*hingis_forever*
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:54 AM
or Serena ;)
Not after a three year absence!

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Hingis' losses has always brought me down big time, I get too attached to her. :( I'm truly upset.

clonesheep
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:55 AM
I have to say I am happy for Pennetta. She is a wonderful player; improved a lot lately and played so well when she paired with Dementieva for doubles. She is becoming one of my favorites.

I hope she will continue playing doubles with ED.

Ferosh
Yay for Pennetta. Now go and take the title.

bw2082
:sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oh well...still a great tourney for Martina. She gained a whole lot this week. Congrats to Flavia :D :bounce:

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Martina :sad: but she has a nice week ;)
Good luck in AO Martina :D

Shoulderpova
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Marti :sad: :bigcry:
Take the title now Flavia :woohoo:

FoxyliciousKhat
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Congrats Flavia, thank you very much!

Cp6uja
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Martina demonstrate with all this 6:0, 6:1, 6:2 Gold Coast set wins that she is back!

I have greate expectation of her already at AO!

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Martina :sad: :sad: :sad:

tennisjam
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM
sh#t, sh#t and sh#t !!! :fiery:

Andrew..
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Flavia looks like a dark haired version of Schett. :scared:

lionel
Flavia!!! Awesome win!!! :woohoo:
Now don't stop here and take the title.

You fully deserve a top20 spot!
:hearts:

ctan88
Really, Martina has nothing to be dissapointed about ...

Most of you guys have already said it ... I mean, winning her first three matches in her comeback tournament is remarkable so that is an achievement in itself ...

I hope she isnt hard on herself though ... GOOD LUCK IN SYDNEY

KoOlMaNsEaN
great effort to win 3 matches and get to the semis. Now she needs to focus on beating the #1 team black/stubbs

*Jool*
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Still an awesome week for Martina !:bounce:

so close to the final , I know it's frustrating , but still , I wd not have imagined a SF before the tourny began

congrats Martina !!! :banana:

tennisvideos
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Damn! :mad: :tape: :(

They are showing the Gold Coast Final on TV tomorrow here and I was SO looking forward to watching Hingis and recording it. Now I definately won't be watching it. :tape:

Well, the good news is that we will be getting next week's Sydney tournament on TV every day and so I hope to see lots of Hingis in action. Plus I am going out there for a few days to so looking forward to that! :)

Flavia .... naughty girl! :mad: :tape:

Kudos to Martina for such a great showing at her first tournament!!! :worship:

:lol:

partbrit
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I'm surprised at how disappointed I am. Though at first I didn't know if Martina would make it past the 2nd round, then I started thinking she'd take the whole thing. First Patty goes, now Martina. But it was a very good tournament for her, and I'm proud of Flavia.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Martina :shrug: You definately had this match won and should have reached GC Finals. :sad: :sad:

Good luck in Sydney :hearts: :hearts:

Tati & Dani
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM
:woohoo: :worship: :bounce:

Great win :bigclap:

Mark for Martina
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I hope Martina would take this match with optimisim... She did a lot of things right in her preparation and her matches this week..

Martina plays an all court game with a lot of shots that needs match play practice... not the "bang, bang" type of tennis we've been seing often these past three years... I hope this reinvigorates her renewed commitment to the game...

Yay to her variety... Yay to the renewed intrest she has brought to the sport... Yay to one of the most admired tennis player of our time... =)

jacky90104
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:59 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

PatM04
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Good try Martina...great first tourney back! Good luck in Sydney:)

Vincent
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:43 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
:rolleyes: Such classy act.

Andy T
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Having played half a dozen singles AND doubles matches in 5 days after a three-year lay-off, it would be totally normal to be feeling it at this stage in the week. In addition, there are all those strong emotions she's had to deal with.....

It's been a very good week and a successful return. Well done Martina - now rest up and get ready for Sydney!

CooCooCachoo
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Martina :sad:

I am very happy, though. She is back :banana: It would be an illusion to think she could win this event after three years absence. Pennetta is still a very good player, and kudos to Flavia :hug: Martina did great and made me very proud :worship:

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Hingis served for the match in the 2nd set, the illusion was almost a reality, into the finals. It's not that she can't beat Flavia right now, but she just didn't.

cometz9
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Martina :sad: :bigcry: this was her chance to win a title for the first time in almost 4 years. I hope she will continue improving her game, don't let this match let her down.
Congrats to Flavia but i'm rooting for Lucie tomorrow.

Vut
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM
:sad: for lost anyway SF is not bad!!! keep going MARTINA

RussiansFan
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Great job Flavia!!! I didn't expect you to win, but... good luck for the final, now!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Dementinator
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:16 AM
great stuff Flavia well done indeed! so much fr the "i cant beat her" you wiped the smirk from her face! good result.

Elldee
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Go Flavia! Maybe Hingis will do what Henin and Kim did in winning their second tournement back.

jonny84
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Been a great tournament for Hingis........and she came close to getting to the final. A Semi-Final appearance is something to be proud of.

dav abu
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Well done Flavia and well done Martina-you have comeback very well.

Cersei
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Flavia :worship:

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Poor Martina, o well thats lacking of match play when you cant serve out matches and that will come with more match play i hope her injury is not to serious

Andy_
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately the tournament isn't broadcast over here, so I have no idea how the match has actually gone but... Flavia said she didn't think she could win over Martina, and I believe she was lying, coz she was well aware this was her best shot at it. Martina has come back after a long break, and she has done so in style :worship: Only that - as far as I see it - she's done too much, with wanting to play the dubs tourney as well... so many official matches in so few days would take a toll on anyone! So here we had Martina dominating in the first set, also thanks to a certain awe Flavia surely had for her (let's face it, during Flavia's early teen age, Martina was reaching the #1 spot!), then she realized she could stay in the game, what with Martina's physical condition also letting her down a tiny bit... and Flavia seized the moment in the end, capturing her first final of 2006.

I'm very proud of Flavia and I wish her the best for tomorrow's final. It's agreat opportunity, coz Safarova's been playing greatn tennis this week to beat the players she's beat, but it's less experienced than Schnyder, to name one... Kudos to Martina for her comeback and for bringing back her comments, interviews and stuff.
GO FLAVIA!! :yeah:

Tenisci
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Martina :sad:

Flavia :D

Darop.
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Yes Flavia! :D

Good luck Marti though, I'm not a fan but I'm glad she's back on tour ;)

propi
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Flavia :bounce::bounce: congrats girl, take the title :woohoo:
Martina :worship: she can only get possitive things about her comeback :worship:

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Go Flavia! Maybe Hingis will do what Henin and Kim did in winning their second tournement back.Exactly my thoughts... And they both won back to back titles :angel:

Alvarillo
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Flavia Ti Amooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :worship: :worship:

Pszczelny
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:07 AM
congrats Pennetta :D :yeah:

Paco
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Well done Flavia

Martian Jeza
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
1. I didn't expect Martina to go that far in this tournament : I'm very pleased with her results.
2. Don't forget, she has a total lack of match fitness : Such loss isn't dramatical
3. Haters are happy : Not a problem ! Martina hasn't to prove something anymore as she is a great champion.
4. I don't think this injury is that serious... The more competition she has in her legs, the less those kind of injuries will appear.

Time for us Martians to focuss at Sydney and hoping she also can get there good results !

gmak
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
flavia :yeah: :D :kiss: really looking like a top-20 player now ;)

congrats to martina for a great tournament :hug:

shava
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Pennetta bt Na, and now Martina!! :(
:sad: :sad: :sad:
Go Pennetta!! :bounce: take the title!! :D ;)

roooobert
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
YEEES!! finaly she is out from the tournamnet. It's nice to have her back as long as you can enjoy her defeats.

Allez Joosteen
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not too surprised. Hingis is rusty and Flavia fought well. Hingis will face more of this form the lower-ranked players. It'll be good for her comeback.

andrewC
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Marti. :sad:

Looks like fitness is still an issue.

Maybe Pennetta played out of her skin? :shrug:

Martian Jeza
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM
YEEES!! finaly she is out from the tournamnet. It's nice to have her back as long as you can enjoy her defeats.

Great post, realy ! Not a suprise it's coming from a WS fan :yeah:

tennisjam
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM
lack of fitness and of competition, heat, solid opponent...

but the show goes on... :)

tobi
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Martina :sobbing: :(

But was a positive tournement :)

Ceze
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Martina :sad: :hug:
what you've done is great anyway Martina :yeah:
and congrats Flavia :D Please take the title now :p

MisterMan
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
she served for it at 6-5 in the second :sad:

Her serve has always been suspect to breaks. It'd be more shocking if, say, Maria or Linds or Serena couldn't hold for the match.

Dirty Sanchez
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
A great victory for Flavia! :hearts: Very few people gave you a chance but you proved them wrong! :yeah: Really looking like a top 20 player now! :)

Sorry to see Martina go but it's been a good tournament for her anyway.

auntie janie
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Am so proud of Flavia! :hearts:

And I'm not worried about Martina, either. She did very well for her first week back, especially considering she took on singles AND doubles, in that sweltering heat. :hearts:

I just hope the thigh injury is a very minor one. :(

Pheobo
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
At least she lost to a top 20 player.

marmite1
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
great stuff Flavia well done indeed! so much fr the "i cant beat her" you wiped the smirk from her face! good result.

;) amen brotha. Nice win for Flav!

Sandra.P
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I was just trying out CCTV 5 on PPlive and by chance caught a short news report on the Hingis-Pennetta match. I recorded it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8SVMYGO0
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/10510678/Hingis_news.asf.html

Kimdsay
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Ah... Well, I'm :sad: , but definitely not disappointed - she's back and that's all that matters to me, I have no doubt that great results will come soon! :D
Go Hingie!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

hingis-seles
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I obviously wanted Martina to win the title, and felt that with each passing win, the dream was becoming a reality. But, I had promised myself no expectations from this comeback. One match at a time. Very good showing from her. Semis in the first tournament back in singles AND doubles. Great show. Keep 'em guessing in Sydney, Martina! :worship:

xXSarajevoXx
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Nice tournament Martina!! Keep going! :bounce:

GogoGirl
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
All,

I think Martina represented well for her first tourney. She'll only get stronger - and may haps will have Pennetta's number next time. No one can win them all.

"GREAT SHOWING UP MARTINA" "KEEP IT AND YOUR SPIRITS UP"

Mattographer
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Well done, Flavia! :banana: Win the title tomorrow's final! :drool:

manu32
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
bravo......

clijstersfan97
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Great job Flavia! :bounce: And well done to Martina as well. She did better than I thought she would in her first tournament.

Corswandt
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ave Imperatrix Flavia Augusta!

fammmmedspin
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Interesting that it took a top 20 player (as of monday?) to beat her and also that the top 20 players who were playing this week either got less far or no further in their tournaments. Thats saying good things about level and prospects.

Not sure about fitness as its early in the comeback and the heat must be a factor as it was against Jencap. Bit surprised though that she is scheduled for 5 weeks in a row given she had known problems with the heat in Australia before she retired and the playing was bound to be a shock to the body. playing doubles too was a bit optimistic?