PDA

View Full Version : BBC showing a bit more Aus Open this year & Babsi on Radio

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
its on interactive via the red button
they showing the NIGHT matches every day.
so those without Eurosport can now get it.
probably a good thing, cos Eurosport sometimes show coverage from Margaret Court Arena instead of the womens match.

full details http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4582096.stm

Australian Open on BBC Sport

BBC Sport will keep you up to date with all the latest news and results on the first Grand Slam of 2006 - the Australian Open (16-29 January).

There will be coverage on TV, interactive TV, radio, the website, Ceefax and Digital Text and you can also follow the action on your WAP phone.

Find out who captures the men's and women's crowns live on BBC TV on 28 and 29 January with coverage of the earlier rounds on interactive.

Radio Five Live brings you live commentary on digital station Five Live Sports Extra as well as regular reports on 909 and 693MW.

There will also be live coverage here on the Sport website at bbc.co.uk/tennis, on Ceefax from page 490 and also on BBCi Digital Text from page 485.

TELEVISION (All times GMT)

Sat 21 Jan:
BBC ONE: Watch highlights from the middle weekend in Melbourne throughout Grandstand between 1300-1630.

Sun 22 Jan:
BBC TWO: Highlights from the middle weekend in Melbourne begin on Sunday Grandstand at 1200.

Sat 28 Jan:
BBC ONE: Live coverage of the women's singles final at 0220.

BBC TWO: Watch highlights from the women's singles final at 1300.

Sun 29 Jan:
BBC TWO: Live coverage of the men's singles final from 0825.

INTERACTIVE TV (All times GMT)

Jan 16-29:
Single stream live coverage every day from the evening session in Melbourne between 0830-1330.

RADIO (All times GMT)

Jan 16-29:
FIVE LIVE SPORTS EXTRA: Five Live's digital station provides live commentary from each evening session from 0830. Tennis correspondent Jonathan Overend, reporters Alastair Eykyn and David Law, summarisers Chris Bailey, Pat Cash and Barbara Schett all bring you the latest news from Australia. Jan 16-29:
RADIO FIVE LIVE: Listen to regular updates on 909 and 693MW throughout the tournament and full reports on Sport on Five from 1900 GMT.

Cilla
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info Eggy. That is actually pretty good (at least for the BBC's standards besides Wimbledon)

johnoo
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
wow great thanks for that info :)

TomTennis
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
cheers for that. ill watch out for it!

TomTennis
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM
no doubt they will be showing Henman, Murray, Rusedksi and Sharapova matches though. Will be a miricale if anyone else appears on there!!! The BBC thinks these are the only four players in the world! :lol:

Philip
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
cool :)

-Sonic-
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Wow I am surprised!

Thats good news though, I just hope people watch it and it makes the bosses see that we want more than horse racing and football!

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
yeay schett's back!!!

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
nice one, I can't take the commentary on Eurosport:-D No offence to anyone but I hope the Brits go out early so we get a chance to see something else instead of being bombarded with replays and lengthy disscussions when women's matchs could be shown.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
nice one, I can't take the commentary on Eurosport:-D No offence to anyone but I hope the Brits go out early so we get a chance to see something else instead of being bombarded with replays and lengthy disscussions when women's matchs could be shown.

Agreed.

wally1
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:50 PM
no doubt they will be showing Henman, Murray, Rusedksi and Sharapova matches though. Will be a miricale if anyone else appears on there!!! The BBC thinks these are the only four players in the world! :lol:

It depends who the aussie organisers put on for the night matches (Rusedski certainly won't be one). I think this is great news!

Caz
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Anyone know if it's really true that British Eurosport will only broadcast the AO from 00:00 - 02:00 and then nothing more until 08:30am? Cos the TV schedule on their website says that's all we're getting, whereas Eurosport international (which my cable provider won't allow us to have!) will broadcast all through the night. Last year they broadcast all through the night, so I don't understand why they seem not to be doing so this year. :( If that schedule is true I guess I won't be seeing any tennis, except at the weekend. :(

AsGoodAsNew
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry Tom you're wrong. Yes Tim was our major hope, and some are now pinning hopes on Murray - wrongly in my view but that's another story! Rusedski does make news sometimes but really is not that popular. Sharapova had a burst of popularity with her Wimbledon win. But by far the most famous tennis stars in England are, wait for it, the Williams sisters. Only Serena has appeared on a major chat show over here, and remember when Richard called the British fans the best because we were obsessed with them a few years back?

When I talk to friends at college, they have all heard of Tim - and are not very complimentary. But everyone knows Venus and Serena and think they're the best. They are household names in a way which other players aren't. Many had never heard of Justine or Kim or any of the Russian players - other than Maria who they were pretty ambivalent about. But everyone knows tick and tock! So there you go! Like it or not, in the UK, other than Tim and Murray it's the Willaims who still hold centre stage.

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
That may be the view on the ground AsGoodAsNew but the schedulers are unlikely to see it that way, the BBC is sickening every year with their wall to wall coverage of the Brits. Hopefully we will be spared this time but I sadly doubt it.

wally1
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
That may be the view on the ground AsGoodAsNew but the schedulers are unlikely to see it that way, the BBC is sickening every year with their wall to wall coverage of the Brits. Hopefully we will be spared this time but I sadly doubt it.

How will there be wall to wall coverage of brits if they're not playing in the night matches? In any case be thankful there is live coverage...

wally1
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Sorry Tom you're wrong. Yes Tim was our major hope, and some are now pinning hopes on Murray - wrongly in my view but that's another story! Rusedski does make news sometimes but really is not that popular. Sharapova had a burst of popularity with her Wimbledon win. But by far the most famous tennis stars in England are, wait for it, the Williams sisters. Only Serena has appeared on a major chat show over here, and remember when Richard called the British fans the best because we were obsessed with them a few years back?

When I talk to friends at college, they have all heard of Tim - and are not very complimentary. But everyone knows Venus and Serena and think they're the best. They are household names in a way which other players aren't. Many had never heard of Justine or Kim or any of the Russian players - other than Maria who they were pretty ambivalent about. But everyone knows tick and tock! So there you go! Like it or not, in the UK, other than Tim and Murray it's the Willaims who still hold centre stage.

If you asked an average brit to name a current tennis player the vast majority would still say Tim Henman, with Murray next and Rusedski way behind that. In term of women I'd say Sharapova is at least as well known as the collective Willams sisters, let alone trying to name one of them individually.

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM
They might not be playing in night matches but I wouldn't rule it out that the BBC would show replays ahead of womens matchs, or blab on about them instead of talking about something interesting to do with the womens-they and sky have done it plenty times before. I'm glad of the coverage and I hope we do get to see as many matches as possible but I'm not looking forward to the bullshit fest.

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have to say I agree with your last post wally1, I don't live in Britain but I was there all summer and during Wimbledon when we were talking about tennis a lot people were most interesting in the Brits and though we talked about the other tennis players the Willys didn't seem to be adored or that big a talking point.

controlfreak
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I think I'm going to have to buy a Freeview box even though I live in the 1% of the country that supposedly can't get digital. Damn you BBC!

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:04 PM
great

xan
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Anyone know if it's really true that British Eurosport will only broadcast the AO from 00:00 - 02:00 and then nothing more until 08:30am? Cos the TV schedule on their website says that's all we're getting, whereas Eurosport international (which my cable provider won't allow us to have!) will broadcast all through the night. Last year they broadcast all through the night, so I don't understand why they seem not to be doing so this year. :( If that schedule is true I guess I won't be seeing any tennis, except at the weekend. :( It may be that SKY have bought some of the UK rights. I know it happens with some of the Slams. British Eurosport then get frozen out of the top matches, while Eurosport International can carry them.

That's why Eurosport International isn't on the Sky satellite or UK cable, though you can get it in English via other satellites including Astra 1.

Caz
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM
It may be that SKY have bought some of the UK rights. I know it happens with some of the Slams. British Eurosport then get frozen out of the top matches, while Eurosport International can carry them.

That's why Eurosport International isn't on the Sky satellite or UK cable, though you can get it in English via other satellites including Astra 1.

Yeah. I thought about that, (I know the reason they don't show us the end of RG is because of Sky, and, in general, their schedule is not "there to show you the best of the British sports stars" but to avoid conflict with Sky Sports), but I can't find a schedule for Sky Sports for that far in advance. If that is the case, it just seems strange that they would let British Eursport broadcast all the matches during the UK daytime and only stop them from broadcasting the ones when most people are asleep! ;) I do hope it is on Sky, although I do hate their coverage, or I'll miss my couple of hours a day of the AO while I'm getting ready for work in the mornings! ;)