PDA

View Full Version : Capriati reported trying to make comeback at Aus Open!!!

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
See 2nd to last paragraph!!

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

AP PHOTO
SHE'S BACK: Martina Hingis smiles during her second round match against Klara Koukalova at the Australian Women's Hardcourts Championships on Wednesday. Hingis won her second successive match since returning to competitive tennis after a three-year absence, beating seventh-seeded Koukalova 6-3, 6-2.Posted on Thu, Jan. 05, 2006
SPOTLIGHT ON TENNISHingis now is feared oneBY MICHELLE KAUFMANmkaufman@MiamiHerald.comResurgent Martina Hingis can cross Serena Williams off her list of players to worry about, at least for the time being.
When Hingis, the former world No. 1, left competitive tennis four years ago, Williams was the most feared player in the sport. She was ranked No. 1 and won eight of the 11 tournaments she entered, including three Grand Slams -- the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open. Hingis fluctuated between No. 3 and No. 5 that season and lost to Williams at Scottsdale, Ariz., and Key Biscayne before she went on hiatus with ankle and foot injuries.
Hingis, now 25, is making a comeback and has said she will have to figure out how to adjust her game to deal with the power of today's top players. It remains to be seen whether Williams still belongs on that list.
The Williams who Hingis will find in Australia this month is not the same player she was in 2002.
On Tuesday, Williams lost 6-3, 6-1 to Elena Dementieva in a Hong Kong exhibition, her first match since losing to 129th-ranked Sun Tiantian in the second round of the China Open last September. Williams, now ranked No. 11, played only 28 matches last season and was hampered by ankle and knee injuries. She won the 2005 Australian Open but went downhill from there.
Hingis, meanwhile, is shaking her rust in record speed. She beat 35th-ranked Klara Koukalova 6-3, 6-2 to reach the quarterfinals of the Australian Hard Court Championships, a tuneup for the Australian Open, which begins Jan. 16 in Melbourne.
''One thing I realize is that some of the girls do have respect for me, and when I see them I have to take advantage of it,'' she told reporters after the win. ``Maybe my reputation is helping, and the other reason is that they don't know me. They haven't seen me around for three years and they don't know what to expect. What pleased me most about the win was the winning spirit which got me through, that I really wanted it more than she did. I just had more to give.''
Once upon a time, Hingis was practically invincible at the Australian Open. She won the singles and doubles titles there in 1997, 1998 and 1999 and made the finals in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Williams won the singles title in 2003 and 2005. They both plan to be in Melbourne this month. Should make for an interesting start to the 2006 season.
Other story lines heading into the Aussie Open . . .
• Is Roger Federer mortal? Sort of. Though the Swiss master has been No. 1 in the world for 100 consecutive weeks, he was beaten by Marat Safin at the Australian Open last year and also by David Nalbandian at the Masters Cup season finale in November. Still, he finished the year with an 81-4 record and he won Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles for the second year in a row.
• Will Andy Roddick win another Grand Slam title? By most people's standards, Roddick had a great 2005. He won five titles, made the Wimbledon final, went 59-14, and finished the year ranked No. 3 in the world. But Roddick is not most people. He was long ago anointed the successor to Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, which means Grand Slam titles are expected and first-round losses to guys from Luxembourg at the U.S. Open are unacceptable. Roddick won his one and only Slam title at the U.S. Open in 2003, and another one sure would ease the pressure.
• How good can Rafael Nadal get? Expect a big year from the Spanish swashbuckler, who nipped at Federer's heels all season, won 11 titles and went 50-2 on clay.
• How much longer will Lindsay Davenport play? Turns out she made a wise move postponing her retirement, as she has been a force, finishing the season with the No. 1 ranking. But she hasn't won a Slam since 2000 and has repeatedly said she is looking forward to starting a family.
• Is Jennifer Capriati still playing? Yes. She missed all last season and underwent two shoulder surgeries, but she did not retire and reportedly wants to make her comeback at the Australian Open.• Who are young players to watch?: Richard Gasquet, Tomas Berdyck, Gael Monfils, Nicole Vaidisova, Sania Mirza and Shuai Peng.
email thisprint this

yukon145
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
holy shit i hope its true! where is this article from?

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Miami Herald, today's edition...

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Nothing concrete yet, but it sure does sound promising!

Billy Moonshine
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I wish she would release a press release to let her fans know as we are all so desperate ( well i am ) to find out. I don't think she is doing it on purpose, she just doesn't realise how much we all miss her. Please come back Jen!

DannerCal
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I saw something esle that says "she wants to play there" but she still has not committed - and last week a sports writer said she was 50/50.
Guess we will know soon as she has to decide. I would change this thread to "Capriati wants to playAus Open". :).

jfk
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Well, it's better than nothing. I just can't see her playing without any warmups. Is the timeline that close that she could play the AO but not play a warmup the week before?

Cp6uja
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
If she play like in old days AO 2006 will be best GS in couple last years!

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I saw something esle that says "she wants to play there" but she still has not committed - and last week a sports writer said she was 50/50.
Guess we will know soon as she has to decide. I would change this thread to "Capriati wants to playAus Open". :).

I saw that as well last week, but this is the most up to date info we have. Like I said, nothing is for certain, but it is starting to sound promising.

I am sure she would have liked to play a warm up, but also realizes she probably only has a handful of AO to play before her career is over, and would rather play without a warm up tourney, than not play at all.....

DannerCal
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I hope she does it! Will make for a great start of the year!

LefandePatty
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I hope soooooooooooo much she will!!!! :banana: :woohoo: :bowdown: :hearts: :worship: :D

JennyS
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Oh I hope she does play. Come on Jen. Click your heals together three times and say. There's no place like Oz. There's no place like Oz. There's no place like Oz. There's no place like Oz. There's no place like Oz............

jonny84
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Hopefully there is a WC "left" isn't there?

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
She needs to hurry if she is

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hopefully there is a WC "left" isn't there?

There are 3 left, and as a Gold Emeritus status player, which she was granted in December, she take a WC into any tourney for a year and up to the last possible minute, even if she bumps someone out

bigshow21
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
:woohoo: Finally some news!! :bounce: It's about dang time. I hope she does decide to take a WC that would be freaking awesome. I can't wait. Go Jen!! :)

Pheobo
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Squee! ^_^

I wish she'd play a warm up tourny or something first though...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
:woohoo:

Irish
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:22 PM
:woohoo: Finally some news!! :bounce: It's about dang time. I hope she does decide to take a WC that would be freaking awesome. I can't wait. Go Jen!! :)

Howdy :hug: :wavey:

This is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

cometz9
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I really hope we get too see her comeback in Melbourne where all her GS success began :banana:

manu32
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Howdy :hug: :wavey:

This is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

is the word,my dear.....

PaulHopkins
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I really hope Jen does take the wildcard! It would be nice to see her finally back in tennis!

Wsisters45
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I hope so :D I really miss her. :)

ClaudiaZ-S
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I wonder how many WC can be given :scratch:
- 1 frenchy
- Hingis
- Aussies

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM
that's great :bounce:, The women tennis in 2006 will extremely excited :woohoo:

jrm
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
You people believe just 'bout everything :rolleyes:

Wiggly
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Well *if it's true :rolleyes: *, good luck :bounce:

jfk
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Who are you referring to? Almost all of the posters in this thread have said they "hope it's true." Far from believing "just 'bout everything..."

bigshow21
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Eewww! Stay out.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM

GO AWAY :mad: :rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM
:bigclap: Return of the DiVa :kiss: :woohoo: :yippee:

TeamUSA#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I wonder how many WC can be given :scratch:
- 1 frenchy
- Hingis
- Aussies

Doesn't matter because she was granted Gold Emeritus status meaning she can get a WC into any tourney she wants for a whole year, even it means someone gets bumped out

DannerCal
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Wonder what the deadline is for her to take the wildcard? Anyone know?

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I cant see it happening!

RJWCapriati
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM
:) hoping she will be there!!!

DannerCal
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:32 PM
With her shoulder now pain free - she should be able to put more on her serve :).

Mattographer
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry but she won't play at AO :)

DannerCal
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Well Alex - you seem to be "revealing" a lot. ;) hopefully you are wrong.

Mase
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
That would be awesome....... I hope its true, only time will tell!! :bounce:

bigshow21
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry but she won't play at AO :)

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

Meesh
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Jenn isn't on the entry list and I thought the wild cards have already been given. Like the poster Billy Moonshine said ... i wish she would give a press release on her status :)

TF Chipmunk
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:47 AM
There are 3 left, and as a Gold Emeritus status player, which she was granted in December, she take a WC into any tourney for a year and up to the last possible minute, even if she bumps someone out
What if she bumps Pratty out :tape::bolt:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM
What if she bumps Pratty out :tape::bolt:

Expect Pratty to break into regular programing with a press conference :lol: :p

Brandon85
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:33 AM
i hope to god she comes back! it has been waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long!

DannerCal
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:40 AM
b/c his zipper is undone - and he does not want to get too excited! ;).

-VSR-
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I think that would be funny if she took it like the day before Oz, and bumped someone out. There would be a girl fight! :devil:

DannerCal
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:56 AM
she won't bump anyone out. There are still a few wildcards left - and she will have to decide soon - or they will be given to other players.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Jennifer! :woohoo:

FanDeJen
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I hope this is true!!!
Vamos Jen!!!!!

TeamUSA#1
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Wonder what the deadline is for her to take the wildcard? Anyone know?

I think mid next week--- before the draw is made