PDA

View Full Version : Asked whether she could beat Hingis, Pennetta replied candidly: "No."

Mark for Martina
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hingis rise contrasts Dokic slips

By Linda Pearce, Surfers Paradise
January 6, 2006

MARTINA Hingis and Jelena Dokic met in one of the most famous of all first-round Wimbledon matches — the great boilover of 1999. Hingis and Dokic have practised together at the Hingis home in Switzerland. Right now, both are far from the single-figure rankings of barely three years ago.

But how contrasting the early stages of their respective comebacks have been. Hingis has reached the semi-finals of her first serious event in three years — the Australian Women's Hardcourts.

Today she plays world No.23 Flavia Pennetta in what looms as the biggest test of what has been a successful return.

Dokic, meanwhile, is mired in yet another coaching controversy. She left the court in tears after a first-round loss in Auckland scarred by 28 double-faults, and has now withdrawn from next week's Canberra International with a left adductor strain, thus seriously compromising her preparation for her first Australian Open since 2001.

It has been a truly horrible start for Dokic, who has been replaced in the Canberra main draw by Sydney's Sophie Ferguson. Apparently, the readopted Australian has aggravated a groin injury, having struggled slightly with the problem during last month's Open wildcard play-off.

Canberra tournament director Gerard Corradini said Dokic "is now planning to get further treatment for the injury and is still optimistic of being fit to play in the Australian Open". If so, it will be without a coach, having split, again, with Lesley Bowrey in what was a mystifying development, even by Dokic's standards.

Hingis has had no such dramas, although her mother and coach, Melanie Molitor, is only as close as the early-morning phone call she receives within seconds of each of her daughter's matches being played many time zones away.

So far, there has only been success to report, and Tarik Benhabiles, who originally coached Andy Roddick and is now working with Tatiana Golovin, believes Hingis is already playing close to top 10-standard tennis.

"She's going to win 60 per cent of her matches, just because of her name, but playing wise she's already top 10 or 15, easy," Benhabiles said.

Indeed, Pennetta sounded beaten before she had begun, describing Hingis as a certainty to return to the top 10, and "a big champion" who draws mistakes by reputation alone. Asked whether she believed she was the player to spoil the Swiss' dream return, Pennetta replied candidly: "No."

Hingis won yesterday's quarter-final 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 against world No.50 Nuria Llagostera Vives, dropping her first set of the week but then producing her best tennis yet.

She later recalled the time, many years ago, when Dokic came to stay, but was unusually circumspect when asked how far she thought her one-time Wimbledon conqueror could advance on her own, slightly pot-holed, comeback road.

"When she was at my house, that was quite a while back, that's like seven years, I believe, so time has gone on," Hingis said. "If she really wants it? That's the question. She was No.4 in the world at her peak, and it's pretty much up to her how far she wants to take it."

---

Hmm... :tape:

pigam
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM
strange answer for a top athlete like Penetta. she has to believe in herself ;)

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
OK flavia's not really filling me with confidence

the tour needs to remember hingis isn't number 1 in the world anymore, pennetta's beaten before she's even walked onto court.

STOP GIVING HINGIS SO MUCH RESPECT!!! she serves below 100mph god damn it, whack it!!!

still...GO FLAVIA!!! i believe she can win, even if she doesn't

Corswandt
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
She's just shaking the pressure off herself. Pennetta has no obvious weaknesses - she's strong, moves well and hits the ball hard; she'll be a tough nut to crack even to a confident Hingis.

Hingis' first victory was against some fat bint, the second against nutcase Koukalova and the third was a three-setter.

The match against Pennetta will be Hingis' most difficult so far.

tenn_ace
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
maybe Flavia just doesn't want to pull Conchita and spoil something for a big champion (whether it's the last Wimbledon or the first tournament out of retirement)?

Dirty Sanchez
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Sounds like mindgames to me! :yeah: C'mon Flavia, you can do it! :bounce:

Dementinator
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Flavia that is not the attitude to have ,kick her ass and put her back in retirement! for good this time!

Kenny
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
That's just stupid of an athlete to say that. Stupid. If I was her coach, I'd slap her and make her run sprints for an hour.

IceHock
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM
that will give you confidence hingis will be all over that i cantbelieve she said that

SelesFan70
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
:yeah: Way to believe in yourself, Flavia!

the bambi
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
lol@marti. she can scare the shit out of a grizzly bear. :p

Grachka
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I doubt she actually believes that. It's actually very clever.

She's in the unique position of being firm favourite on paper. However, by saying this she has given herself the desirable position of having nothing to lose. Given she is top 25 and is playing an unranked, untested (thus perhaps volatile under pressure) and yet highly anticipated player, thats a pretty decent position to be in.

drive-volley
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
That's just stupid of an athlete to say that. Stupid. If I was her coach, I'd slap her and make her run sprints for an hour.
I agree. Being an athlete I'd never ever say something like this.

Dawn Marie
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Flavia WTF? Where is the competitive spirit. She should have said no comment and POLITELY LET HER RAQUET DO THE TALKING. If she said YES, it would have been foolish and NO would have been foolish. If she can't handle the press then hell the match is over already.

Hingis won 6/2 6/1

kabuki
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Mind games.

hingis-seles
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
It's like what Johnny Mac said at Wimbledon '92. He said something along the lines of "These guys say they really respect me but can't wait to get out on court and kick my butt."

CanadianBoy21
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well it's a stupid question by the media.

And Flavia gave them a sarcastic reply probably, 'well what do you think, I'm a pro athlete, do u think I believe I can win, idiots' and then swallowed that and said no.

Oermi
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Come on, Flavia you can do it :)

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
honesty aside....thats not a very smart thing to say..

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Flavia just didn't want to jinx herself.

Dexter
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Vamos Mrs Moya ;)

harloo
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I can't wait until Hingis starts meeting some REAL players. Penetta should be ashamed of herself talking like she is a piece of trash.

Darop.
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
2 possibilities:

1) Flavia didn't understand the question
2) She's playing mind games

because she's always so confident, that's NOT something she would say.

Wiggly
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
She's probably playing mind games because if when you're on court and you think you have no chance to beat your opponent, you're already in trouble :rolleyes:

yes_sir
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Flavia can definetely win if she just plays how she has been.

That comment.... i'm not sure if she was taking the pressure off herself or that's what she really believes, only she knows.

Strange comment nonetheless.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Sounds like mind games to me, what player goes on court where on paper they're a favorite to win think they actually have no chance. Flavia has been playing some of the best tennis of her career the last couple years, I'm sure she didn't accomplish that by not believing in herself.

PaulHopkins
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Flavia has been playing really well lately so Im expecting her to defeat Hingis to be honest. She pulled off a great win over Golovin!

Drake1980
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I hope Flavia is right and Martina wins!

Hayato
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
smart comment IMO. :yeah:

Almalyk
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Martina has an aura about her - it will really help as she starts out again :)

Buitenzorg
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hope HINGIS wins so I can watch her Final macth live on TV tomorrow ;)

ceiling_fan
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM
id bluff if i was her... give hingis a false sense of security

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hope HINGIS wins so I can watch her Final macth live on TV tomorrow ;)

You and me both - if she loses i will not be a happy chappy!

Pengwin
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Perhaps she thought the interviewer meant 'beat' literally

hablo
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't believe it ! :haha::tape:

whatever, Pennetta : she's just saying that to save face in case she loses!! :p:devil:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:02 PM
sounds like an Italian answer to me after following Silvia lol

jonny84
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I wish Flavia had a little faith in herself.
I am surprised she got past Golovin; but you would think this isn't the attitude to have when playing professional tennis. I am a big fan of Flavia and try and see the positive (and realistic) chance in her; but she has to herself as well.

dinhd82
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 6-0 6-0 win in favor of Hingis.

charmedRic
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
OK flavia's not really filling me with confidence

the tour needs to remember hingis isn't number 1 in the world anymore, pennetta's beaten before she's even walked onto court.

STOP GIVING HINGIS SO MUCH RESPECT!!! she serves below 100mph god damn it, whack it!!!

still...GO FLAVIA!!! i believe she can win, even if she doesn't

Whack IT. *lol* :lol:

Darop.
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 6-0 6-0 win in favor of Hingis.

Ok, now that's just plain dumb.

Aerien
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I'll give Flavia the benefit of a doubt until they hit the courts that this is just her way of keeping focus and to stop the media from asking her about "Hingis, Hingis, Hingis" by giving them an answer that they'd like. :cool:

Dawn Marie
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Nothing that Flavia stated was good. Hingis will use that word NO against Flavia she gave Hingis added confidence when they begin play. Media and mind games don't come into the equation. You would NEVER hear Venus or Serena state this. Nor Hingis herself.

Flavia next time chill out and work the media don't let it work you.

Corswandt
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
You would NEVER hear Venus or Serena state this. Nor Hingis herself.

Which is one of the main reasons why I don't like them.

Corswandt
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Flavia next time chill out and work the media don't let it work you.

Said it before, will say it again. It's exactly the opposite. Football coaches do this all the time - no one claims to be "the favourite" before an important match. Pennetta was just a tad clumsy about the way she said it.

You people put way too much faith in mantras - "say to yourself I can do it, I can do it, I can do it until you actually believe in it". Even if Pennetta does believe she can do it, why would she say so to the press? "You claimed that you would/could win this match. How do you feel now [you loser]?" would be the first question on the post-match PC if she lost.

tennisrox
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Um, :tape:

yes_sir
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Pennetta is a cagey old fox for someone so young. :)

JonBcn
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
As soon as I read that quote yesterday, I knew Pennetta would win. She's not daft.

Kenny
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Maybe the title should be..

She cunningly replied, "No."

DragonFlame
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM
well, thanx a lot pennetta:ras:

kabuki
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Like I said, Mind Games.

Simplicity
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Which is one of the main reasons why I don't like them.

Confidence is courage at ease my son. If you don't believe in yourself, who will? Venus, Martina and Serena are all Great Champions, and that mental attitude to claiming they're the best in the Women's Game have surely helped them. :)

Corswandt
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Confidence is courage at ease my son. If you don't believe in yourself, who will? Venus, Martina and Serena are all Great Champions, and that mental attitude to claiming they're the best in the Women's Game have surely helped them. :)

A player can be confident through being able to make a cold, realistic assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of him/herself and of his/her opponents. You don't have to be a braggart to be confident.