PDA

View Full Version : Hingis comments on Dokic's comeback & her old adversaries' thoughts

Mark for Martina
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Hingis backs use of HawkEye technology
Date: 05/01/06
By Daniel Pace

Switzerland's former world No.1 Martina Hingis has called for the use of virtual reality technology to rule on contentious line calls in international tennis.

Hingis questioned several suspect decisions from linesmen during her 6-2 4-6 6-0 quarter-final victory over Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives in the Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships on the Gold Coast on Thursday.

The "Hawk-Eye" virtual reality system has been deployed for the first time in an international tournament at this week's Hopman Cup in Perth and tournament director Paul McNamee says the feedback has been positive from players.

The technology has improved significantly since US Open officials opted against using "Hawk-Eye" at the grand slam tournament last year because they believed it wasn't 100 per cent reliable.

"It's quite possible it will be part of the game in the future and it's good to see the replay calls," said Hingis, making her fulltime comeback to professional tennis this week after retiring in 2002.

"You have them in other sports in the USA. The question is whether it's going to slow down the game too much."

Hopman Cup players can challenge a ruling as many times as they like but it's up to the discretion of the chair umpire whether "Hawk-Eye" is used.

If a wrong call has been made, the point is replayed.

Officials say they will consider putting a limit on the number of challenges from players if they abuse the system.

Hingis also commented on the comeback of another former top five player, readopted Australian Jelena Dokic, who on Thursday withdrew from next week's Canberra International due to a recurrence of an injury to her left abductor muscle.

Asked about Dokic's comeback, Hingis said: "Does she really want it? That's the question.

"She was number four in the world at her peak. It's pretty much up to her how far she wants to take it."

Hingis has been granted a wildcard into this month's Australian Open while Dokic had to earn hers through a playoff tournament in Melbourne last month.

Hingis will play in the Sydney International starting on Sunday to complete her preparations for the Australian Open, a grand slam she's won three times.

--------------------

Again.. very true...

-------------------

Hingis 'can get back to the top'

January 5, 2006 - 7:22PM

Martina Hingis' vanquished opponent in the quarter-finals of the Australian Women's Hardcourts event today said there was no reason why the Swiss could not return to the top of world tennis.

Hingis defeated Spain's world No.50 Nuria Llagostera Vives 6-2 4-6 6-0 in the toughest test of her serious comeback to professional tennis following three years in retirement due to recurring foot injuries.

The 25-year-old former world No.1 will take on Italian and world No.23 Flavia Pennetta in tomorrow's semi-finals of the $239,000 event at Royal Pines.

Fourth-seeded Pennetta defeated Hingis' doubles partner, French teenager Tatiana Golovin, 6-2 5-7 6-3 in another quarter-final today.

Top women's players Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters have both cast doubts this week on whether Hingis can regain the No.1 spot she first earned as a 16-year-old in 1997 and held for 209 non-consecutive weeks.

"I have no reaction to that," replied Hingis when told her old adversaries had hinted it might be difficult for her to reclimb the summit.

"I can only play match by match and get out there and compete."

Hingis pointed out that Clijsters made a remarkable comeback from a nine-month layoff due to wrist surgery to win nine titles last year, including the US Open, and almost claim the No.1 ranking.

"You always have those doubts but I can only show them the results. Either you belong to the top or you don't," Hingis said.

Llagostera Vives offered her own opinion after her loss.

"She's done everything in tennis so I don't see why she can't do it again but it's too early to say because you never know what can happen," she said.

"This is her first tournament (of her comeback) and she could get injured or there could be other problems."

Hingis appeared set to cruise to victory today when she claimed the first set in just over 30 minutes.

But Llagostera Vives - who reached a career-high world ranking of 35 in June last year - adopted an aggressive approach and her high-risk shots came off as she levelled the match at one set apiece.

But the 25-year-old Spaniard admitted she "tired physically" and crumbled in the deciding set against three-time Australian Open champion.

"I know I can last three sets now, especially mentally," Hingis commented.

"That was the biggest weapon I had today. I would've been pretty hard on myself if I had lost this match because I had it totally under control."

Russia's Dinara Safina - the sister of former men's world No.1 Marat Safin - thumped Spaniard Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-1 6-3 in her quarter-final earlier today.

AAP

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM
thats so true though about Dokic i never thougt that "Does She Want It?"

Nice article and i hope by next year we will have hawk eyey at all tournaments

hingis-seles
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I agree with Martina.

Munchen
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks. :)

Mark for Martina
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
It's good to hear Martina focusing on results... =)

irinska
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the articles!

Greenout
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM
:lol:

Oh- so now Martina knows about the comment made by LD, and Kimmy. :p (rather funny that it came from the two most diplomatic players in the top 16!)

Sydney, and the AO 2006 will be highly entertaining.

Everyone will be asked, I wonder what JHH and Amelie will say in Sydney? ;)

LostGlory
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Well my pick to win is still Hingis...although I like how Dinara is playing but I also know that Dinara and Safin's passion and tamprement can make them loose it when everything seems possible....

Martian KC
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Top women's players Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters have both cast doubts this week on whether Hingis can regain the No.1 spot she first earned as a 16-year-old in 1997 and held for 209 non-consecutive weeks.

"I have no reaction to that," replied Hingis when told her old adversaries had hinted it might be difficult for her to reclimb the summit.

"I can only play match by match and get out there and compete."

Hingis pointed out that Clijsters made a remarkable comeback from a nine-month layoff due to wrist surgery to win nine titles last year, including the US Open, and almost claim the No.1 ranking.

"You always have those doubts but I can only show them the results. Either you belong to the top or you don't," Hingis said.

You tell em, Martina!

And lovely words from Nuria as well.:kiss:

Martian Stacey
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I'm not at all surprised Martina is backing hawk eye ;)

As for her concern about it possibly slowing down the game... judging by its use at the Hopman Cup it hasn't slowed down play it all. If fact, if a player was unhappy with a line call, and hawk eye was not in place, the player might spend more time arguing with the umpire than the time it takes to check the ball on hawk eye :lol:

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:57 AM
She is a class act this girl! :bounce:

Stacey - i don't know much about it but can the players get in the way of Hawk Eye? I haven't followed Hopman Cup this year - have their been any instances where it has not made a call on a particular ball?

Prizeidiot
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
[b]i don't know much about it but can the players get in the way of Hawk Eye? I haven't followed Hopman Cup this year - have their been any instances where it has not made a call on a particular ball?
I know the question wasn't intended for me, but I'll answer anyway

They have multiple cameras positioned all over the place at all different angles, and I'd assume they're all calibrated so that all camera views form one definitive picture of the flight of the ball and where it landed.

As such, there have been no instances where Hawk Eye has failed thus far.

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I know the question wasn't intended for me, but I'll answer anyway

They have multiple cameras positioned all over the place at all different angles, and I'd assume they're all calibrated so that all camera views form one definitive picture of the flight of the ball and where it landed.

As such, there have been no instances where Hawk Eye has failed thus far.

Cool - thanks for the info. I saw a few Hawk Eye calls and was very impressed with how quick the data is available - i think it could work well but maybe a limit on number of calls that can be questioned each set needs to be imposed.

Prizeidiot
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Cool - thanks for the info. I saw a few Hawk Eye calls and was very impressed with how quick the data is available - i think it could work well but maybe a limit on number of calls that can be questioned each set needs to be imposed.
Yeah... they discussed that with the players.

But the players believed that it would weigh too much on their minds. ie "should I challenge now, or maybe save it for an importnat point somewhere down the line?"

So I guess they're giving the players the benefit of the doubt, and going with the assumption that no one is going to over do it.

TonyP
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I very much back the use of hawkeye. We have now all seen important points that went the wrong way because of bad line calls. I think that fans will begin to lose respect for the sport if they continue to watch calls made by linesmen and the umpire go one way, but the TV replays show the call should have gone the other.

As for Dokic, Martina may or may not be right. One thing right now is that Dokic continues to live such an unsettled life, still waring with her family and now in disputes with coaches and Australian tennis. I am beginning to wonder if at least a little of this is of Jelena's own making, although her father may have done permanent harm to her. But compare Hingis and all the support she has around her and Dokic, scrambling to keep her head above water in her move back to Australia.

the bambi
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM
if the hawkeye is as reliabe as cyclops then we're... :tape:

Asif_Nawaz
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Asked about Dokic's comeback, Hingis said: "Does she really want it? That's the question.

"She was number four in the world at her peak. It's pretty much up to her how far she wants to take it."

Hingis has been granted a wildcard into this month's Australian Open while Dokic had to earn hers through a playoff tournament in Melbourne last month.

Hingis will play in the Sydney International starting on Sunday to complete her preparations for the Australian Open, a grand slam she's won three times.

--------------------

AAP

[/QUOTE]