PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters doubts Hingis could return to top again

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
http://jang.com.pk/thenews/jan2006-daily/05-01-2006/sports/s21.htm

Clijsters doubts Hingis could return to top again

HONG KONG: US Open champion Kim Clijsters on Wednesday said she doubted Martina Hingis could return to the top of the women’s game despite initial successes at her comeback tournament.

Clijsters said the 25-year-old former world number one was unlikely to "come close" to the domination that brought her five Grand Slams before injuries forced her early retirement in October 2002.

"I think it will be very hard for someone in her position, after a few years ago being world number one and winning so many tournaments and Grand Slams," said the Belgian.

"It will be very hard for her to come close to achieving those results again. I haven’t seen her play and I don’t know what shape she’s in but I am very excited. She’s a great girl too and she’s a lot of fun and I am happy to see her back."

Hingis registered the second win of her comeback on Wednesday when she beat Czech world number 35 Klara Koukalova 6-3, 6-2 at the Australian hard court tournament.

World number one Lindsay Davenport, who like Clijsters is also playing the Champions Challenge invitational here, has also warned that Hingis may find it tough to come back.

Women’s tennis has become physically more demanding over the past few years and also increasingly open, with four different players winning the 2005 Grand Slams. Clijsters, the world number two, said her own plans to retire at the end of next season were still in place despite bouncing back from injury to win her first Grand Slam and be named as ITF women’s world champion.

The 22-year-old, who missed most of 2004 with injury and was ranked at 134 when she returned to competition last February, said she finds it hard to stay on top of her game. She also dislikes flying and misses her boyfriend, Belgium-based American basketball player Brian Lynch. "Every two months, it feels that I have to improve and have to add something. I told myself that I was going to do this for two more years. I am going to give myself 100 percent and see how it goes," she said.

"The travelling is also very tough. I am not a very good flyer and it’s also difficult for my boyfriend and my family. When I get older and when I have kids one day I would like to play and have fun with them without having to worry about having bad knees."

The Williams sisters, defending champion Elena Dementieva and India’s Sania Mirza are also among the eight-player Champions Challenge line-up. Dementieva will play Serena Williams in the opening match later on Wednesday.

azmad_88
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:12 AM
well..we will see...

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I really don't think Kim has the right to say much considering she finally won a slam after her comeback. Maybe another loss to Hingis will change her mind.

franny
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hmmm, it looks like Clijsters is really serious about her retirement. I think that we can already see how much she's disliking the constant practice and constant stress tennis has given her. You can totally understand her mentality for quitting, but Martina is completely different. I don't think she is coming back expecting to regain what she once had. I think she hopes that she can, but realistically, I don't think she expects it. I think Martina came back for the challenge and for the love of tennis. She herself has said that being away from tennis has been like a hole in her life. Sometimes, she wakes up and has no purpose to get up for. She is coming back to play and to compete. As long as she does that, I think she will be satisfied.

Sun*Kissed
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
She's just saying what many people have already said

Hachiko
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Of course it's going to be hard. But time is still on her side.

tommyk75
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I don't think what Kim said is all that bad. MUCH worse was said of a particular Italian-American who went to prove them all wrong in Melbourne (against Martina, no less)...

switz
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM
some fucking journalists really piss me off the way the try to start something from nothing. you read headline and you think "bitchy comment" but of course the overwhelming positive sentiments don't grab people's attention do they.

they shoud only be allowed to write about Gisela's boobs :lol:

E. Blackadder
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Clijsters didn't say she couldn't get back to the top (meaning top 3 or so) She said she doesn't think Hingis could dominate again winning nearly all tournaments and slams.....

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
some fucking journalists really piss me off the way the try to start something from nothing. you read headline and you think "bitchy comment" but of course the overwhelming positive sentiments don't grab people's attention do they.

they shoud only be allowed to write about Gisela's boobs :lol:

I really want to see these pictures of gisela playing with her boobs intact...

lead me to her boobs people....

dinhd82
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Kim just needs a beating from Martina to change her mind.

Sun*Kissed
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Geez...why the hostility to Kim giving an honest, yet diplomatic opinion?- that she thinks that it would be difficult for hingis to duplicate her past achievements after such a long layoff. Similar sentiments have been expressed by others, it's hardly trashtalking. Of course, how ludicrous of Kim not to endorse Martina for the 2006 calender slam and year end #1 :rolleyes: good god

dinhd82
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM
It would be hard for someone who has never been there to begin with, that's even more tough, but Hingis has been there and it's not out of the question to get back there espcecially since she's still so young. Steffi, Monica, Mary, Jen Cap. have all made successful comebacks in there careers, nothing is impossible. Kim should be more worried about not becoming the next one slam wonder.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
we will have to wait and see

ashwu
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM
i like what mary said about matina's comeback, she said the timing is good, the tour is very open for everybody.

Vous serez peut-être amenée à croiser la route de Martina Hingis…

Mary Pierce :
Personnellement, je suis très heureuse de la revoir au plus haut niveau, c’est une grande championne. Je ne connais pas son niveau actuel mais je pense qu’elle a choisi le bon moment pour revenir car le circuit s’annonce très ouvert, pour tout le monde.

Andy.
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM
We will see Kim

~{X}~
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I seriously do not think Hingis will enjoy the success she had in 97-00. I feel she will get to the mid and possibly later rounds of tournaments like Grand Slams and stuff but will lose. Just look at 2001 before she got injured, she was getting far into tournaments but she wasn't really doing much damage as in winning slams and stuff. Hingis has talent and I believe she can win some large tournaments again, but I doubt she will have the sort of dominance she had back in her 97-00 years. Kim just gave an honest opinion, its never easy coming back, especially after 3 years. But really, I would not judge Hingis' 3 matches as something so spectacular for words. She hasn't played a top 30 player yet. When she starts playing people ranked in the top 15, we'll see how it goes. Until then, time will tell and people will have different opinions.

jrm
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I agree with Kim

Mark for Martina
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Kim is giving an honest opinion and if she says it is difficult then that would only add to Martina's achievement if she does claim the same success as before.

Come-on-kim
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Come on... The title of this thread makes it sound like if Kim said that Martina will not even be in the top-10.... Kim has just said that Martina will probably not be able to win as many GS titles as she did in the past... That's something realistic... Look in 2005, nobody could win 2 GS titles, the tour is very open so for Martina to win as much GS as she has already done she'll have to hang out on the tour for a long long time.

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
everyone who thinks Martina will beat Kim someday just go to bed and have a good dream. it can only happen in your fantasy world :lol: :devil:

tennisjam
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM
the title of the article is missleading...:o

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM
i guess....its more of a wait and see what happens type of a thing...

I have no idea how she stacks against most of the people...but she should be in the top 15

KClijsters
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I agree with Kim. Hingis is doing well at the moment, but she haven't played against the top players. She beat Llagostera Vives, Klara Koukalova and María Vento-Kabchi. They are good players, but not the best. She haven't played against the Williams sisters, Davenport, Sharapova etc. So we have to see. Hingis have won so many thing in her live, so it's hard to do that again. Kim meant that. And that's logical. She haven't played for a long time and tennis is a much better now. They are playing much harder now and Hingis wasn't a players who play hard. So it's very interesting. I hope she's doing great, but we have to see. And Kim was not the only one who doubt about it.

I found something on: http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/hingis-can-get-back-to-the-top/2006/01/05/1136387566725.html

''Top women's players Lindsay Davenport and Kim Clijsters have both cast doubts this week on whether Hingis can regain the No.1 spot she first earned as a 16-year-old in 1997 and held for 209 non-consecutive weeks''

"You always have those doubts but I can only show them the results. Either you belong to the top or you don't," Hingis said.
And she's right. The doudts are usual.

But I really hope she doing great. I have nothing against her.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I don't know if Hingis can get to #1 again, but she can definitely be top 10 again. Let's not forget Martina was ranked in the top 10 when she retired 3 years ago, the game hasn't evolved into this uncanny world like analysts would like you to believe.

tennisjam
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know if Hingis can get to #1 again, but she can definitely be top 10 again. Let's not forget Martina was ranked in the top 10 when she retired 3 years ago, the game hasn't evolved into this uncanny world like analysts would like you to believe.

yep

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I really don't think Kim has the right to say much considering she finally won a slam after her comeback. Maybe another loss to Hingis will change her mind.
Amazing how can some people's words be turned around!

"I think it will be very hard for someone in her position, after a few years ago being world number one and winning so many tournaments and Grand Slams," said the Belgian.
"It will be very hard for her to come close to achieving those results again. I haven’t seen her play and I don’t know what shape she’s in but I am very excited. She’s a great girl too and she’s a lot of fun and I am happy to see her back."
Kim doesn't say anywhere that Martina won't go back to the top, she says it'll be very hard. I find that a pretty realistic comment. Kim was out for a year and it wasn't easy so Martina has been out for slightly longer than that...so it sure will be difficult. All the best to her of course :bounce:

KClijsters
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I agree with you Yasmine :-)

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Come on... The title of this thread makes it sound like if Kim said that Martina will not even be in the top-10.... Kim has just said that Martina will probably not be able to win as many GS titles as she did in the past... That's something realistic... Look in 2005, nobody could win 2 GS titles, the tour is very open so for Martina to win as much GS as she has already done she'll have to hang out on the tour for a long long time.
:worship:

wateva
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
martina is taking one match, one step at a time. i don't know why her fans aren't doing the same.

fifiricci
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
martina is taking one match, one step at a time. i don't know why her fans aren't doing the same.

:lol: :devil:

Kimdsay
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Kim doesn't say anywhere that Martina won't go back to the top, she says it'll be very hard. I find that a pretty realistic comment. Kim was out for a year and it wasn't easy so Martina has been out for slightly longer than that...so it sure will be difficult. All the best to her of course :bounce:

Well said! :yeah:

Go Martina, go Kim and go Lindsay!!!! :D :worship: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I agree - there is nothing offensive in Kim's comments whatsoever!

She's simply saying no one will dominate in the foreseeable future and i agree - the WTA is completely open and i think Martina's timing is perfect.

It would be great to see her add that elusive French Open to her titles but not so sure.

Martian Willow
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Another headline that bares no relation to what was said in the article. It must be the fashion. :)

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Another headline that bares no relation to what was said in the article. It must be the fashion. :)
very well put! :yeah:

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM
i had earlier said that she is top 15 material....take that back.....top 10 material.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Amazing how can some people's words be turned around!

You really must not have learned anything from Kim. Noone will be able to stop Kim from winning 5-6 tournis a year. Hingis also will find a way to win at least 3-4 tournis a year. That's because both of these players are tourni opportunist. If you give them just a bit of an opening, they take advantage of it. Martina has made just as many adjustments to her game as Kim did to win a slam. Kim's backhand was more concise and compact when she came back. Kim's serve was more powerful as well. Many people would have considered her year a dominating year. If Kim would have gotten a protective seeding, perhaps she would be holdin more than just one slam from last year. Even with just one slam from last year many people would admit that Kim was the number one player and dominated in the way she knows best.

Martina has made some adjustments as well. She's hitting through her forehand better. She has more power on the serve. I'm sure as the year continues, she will make more adjustments to deal with the wear and tear of the tour just like Kim did.
I just don't see why Kim wouldn't give Martina the benefit of the doubt in that area. Martina does have 4 more singles slams to her name. Martina does have a winning record against her. Martina is probably one of the top 10 players on the women's tour in the Open Era.

tennisluver99
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Kim just needs a beating from Martina to change her mind.

:haha: Yeah Martina is going to beat Kim. PLEASE!!!!! She ain't going to beat Kim or Lindsay or Venus or Serena or Amelie or etc.

God!!! Hingis gets a few wins over nothing players at a tier 3 event and her fans think she's going to beat the top players. I hear her serve is still crap, which means the top players will punish it. :rolleyes:

I can see Hingis as a consistant top 20 player (because she is 100 times better than alot of the girls in the top 50), but I don't see her in the top 10 again.

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:22 PM
:haha: Yeah Martina is going to beat Kim. PLEASE!!!!! She ain't going to beat Kim or Lindsay or Venus or Serena or Amelie or etc.

God!!! Hingis gets a few wins over nothing players at a tier 3 event and her fans think she's going to beat the top players. I hear her serve is still crap, which means the top players will punish it. :rolleyes:

I can see Hingis as a consistant top 20 player (because she is 100 times better than alot of the girls in the top 50), but I don't see her in the top 10 again.

just wait til Hingis beats Safina/Safarova at Gold Coast final. you are gonna see 1000000 threads about Martina will win slams this year :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM

How easy we forget. Patty is ranked 6 right now. She won two Teir IIIs all year. She only made it to one slam quarters. She had a good clay season but didn't perform great at the FO and defintely not good at Wimbledon.

So let's give Hingis the benefit of the doubt. If she has a year similar to Patty's last year, then she will be in the top 10. She's always been a more consistent player on tour than Patty and even know will likely be. The top 10 isn't as crowded as we thought. The players that didn't play the Australian Open or didn't play well are already in the top 10 (Kim, Justine, Mary, Venus).
Serena nor Kuznetsova look like they're 100% at going after the top 10.
Who's really to say Hingis won't be in the top 10 at the end of the year.
I believe she could be in the top 75 after Tokyo.

tennisluver99
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
just wait til Hingis beats Safina/Safarova at Gold Coast final. you are gonna see 1000000 threads about Martina will win slams this year :lol:

I can hardly wait :lol:

matthieu_tennis
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
look the shape of serena hingis would beat her 6-2 6-2 Lol :)

Sun*Kissed
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Ain't that the truth

radics
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Martina just started her comeback after 3 years away from the circuit and you already know she wont beat any top player? Did she play so damn bad that you can already judge? WOW... All those Hingis threads must hurt you :p I just love it :lol:

Buitenzorg
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM
It would be very tough for HINGIS

BUT if she can manage her #1 ranking for 214 weeks

and wins 5 GS and many titles (single & doubles) anyhting is possible for her :p

fammmmedspin
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Clijsters didn't say she couldn't get back to the top (meaning top 3 or so) She said she doesn't think Hingis could dominate again winning nearly all tournaments and slams.....

Which is indeed true - fact today is its possible to make each spot in the top 3 without dominating like Hingis did or indeed winning any GS.

Kunal
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
well.. after that defeat to flaav....maybe it puts her game into perspective...

was she serving for the match at one point???
Kim is right after all...

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Kim had some early losses during her comeback so that doesn't mean jack, it's only the 1st tournament back for crying out loud. Go fuck a goat all non supporters!

lienie18
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Jeezzes people. The reporters probably just asked her at the press conference and she probably said sth like 'it will be difficult to get back" blabla. There's nothing wrong with it, there's no reason to critisize Kim :rolleyes:
Fyi, Kim & Martina get along very well as far as I know.

Brαm
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Kim had some early losses during her comeback so that doesn't mean jack, You are mistaken :)

Antwerp: QF
Indian Wells: WON
Miami: WON

:)

Allez Joosteen
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Kim is a different player now and I look forward to her first meeting with Hingis. :D

lienie18
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Okay people, first you have to know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

Here is what she said about Hingis

Download (http://rapidshare.de/files/10480491/hk03.rm.html)

Credit to Mailin

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM
You are mistaken :)

Antwerp: QF
Indian Wells: WON
Miami: WON

:)

So I guess QF equals WON nowadays? Hingis made the semis, does that mean she Won it with flying colours?

Brαm
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM
So I guess QF equals WON nowadays? Hingis made the semis, does that mean she Won it with flying colours?
You were talking about early losses :o

dinhd82
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Isn't that considered early for players of Hingis and Kim's caliber?

Barlos
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
well.. after that defeat to flaav....maybe it puts her game into perspective...

was she serving for the match at one point???
Kim is right after all...

I wouldn't read much into the fact that Hingis lost to Pannetta. After all, Hingis dominated early on and was already injured when serving for the match. A mix of that and nerves was what lost her that game and the match.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with what Kim said. Neither Hingis or any player is likely to "dominate" in the near future as, for example, Marti did in '97. Even if Marti does get back to No.1 it wont be in such a dominating way.

Kunal
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
true....i think nerves must have had a lot to do with that....
if im not mistaken....she gets pretty nervous while closing out matches??

Rub
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM
not bad...

~|Naomi|~
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
true....i think nerves must have had a lot to do with that....
if im not mistaken....she gets pretty nervous while closing out matches??

I think Pennetta was just too good in that game, she hit 4 winners and then played an awesome tiebreak. Hingis didn't start playing badly, Pennetta just went up a level. She was probably nervous at the start of the match as she couldn't get a ball in the court but faced with defeat it seemed she just loosened up and started going for her shots and they all went in. Pennetta's level went up.

Kunal
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:17 AM
it would have been too sweet a comeback for hingis to have won the tournament...
it might have given her too much confidence and that later on can prove to be detrimental.