PDA

View Full Version : Elena"I don't think have I to go to the next level. I have everything to win a Slam."

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:36 AM
WHOA:eek:

She said this after beating Serena in Hong Kong. The article is on the Tennis Week website.

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM
she does. two slam finals followed by a slam semifinal is not a fluke.

tennisrox
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Um,SERVE!!! :o

hablo
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Only time will tell !

fammmmedspin
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM
She does - she just needs no Myskina in her draw and the right person on the right day in the final. Probably true of a dozen people though minus the Myskina issue.

marmite1
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Tbh i dont see why she can't easily beat Myskina.

azmad_88
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:04 AM

this one is clearly mental block

-VSR-
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:05 AM
:haha:

timray
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Maybe Elena just has a bad memory :tape:

Gowza
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:08 AM
she lost the slam finals she was in mainly because problems in her mental game i guess. i mean myskina and kuznetsova are winnable matches for dementieva. but she did have somewhat good draws or luck to reach those finals so although i'd like to be confident enough to say her game is good enough where it is, i think she could do with a bit more improvement, it would make matches easier for one, secondly the tour is getting better all the time anyway so she has to get better with it and thirdly shouldn't all players try to become the best player they can become so i don't know why she wouldn't want to try and improve her game anyway. plus a win against serena in an exo i don't think means that much.

blumaroo
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:10 AM
She lacks the consistency. She plays great in one match and then falters in the next.

Derek.
Everytime she speaks she jinxes herself. :tape:

I'd love to see her win a slam though. :D

fammmmedspin

Myskina knows where Elena will hit it before Elena does and she is fast enough to runs Elena's shots down before sending something a bit more unpredictable back. Myskina is the better strategist, knows Elena's game backwards and owns the right to win in both their heads.

Add to which Myskina is fitter than most and Elena can't wear her out physically and mentally as she has so many of her GS QF/ SF opponents. As its the unofficial match for Russian number 1 each time its played ( I doubt if either counts Maria) Myskina doesn't give up and usually manages to keep her concentration too.

CJ07
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Dementieva does have everything to win a slam. She just needs to stop faltering in the first week. Once she gets into the second week, she's money.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Good Luck to her! :kiss:

UDACHi
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Elena's serve looked real good in the few games I saw against Serena. I have felt since 2004 that yes, Elena can win a slam with the right draw and just.. if fate is on her side, Elena could win a slam. On the other hand, I do think she should shut up because this thread will get bumped next time she loses. :rolleyes:

blumaroo
THe quality of Myskina-Dementieva matches is usually very low. Both can't hold serves and make tons of errors. Especially from Dementieva's side. The only time I saw Dementieva play well against Myskina was in Moscow this year. So I think it's more a mental thing.

No Name Face
well the time elena beat myskina in moscow, she really proved she was the better player. it was a totally dominating performance. their other matches are not nearly as good...and go to three sets, which gets to elena more than myskina. obviously elena is the better player and has more tremendous groundstrokes but myskina is in her head...kudos for myskina doing that because that's just as effective as having a better game physically

UDACHi
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Dementieva does have everything to win a slam. She just needs to stop faltering in the first week. Once she gets into the second week, she's money.

Elena builds her confidence and level of play as tournaments progress. As long as Elena can squeak through her first few rounds or so, she is definitely money. :)

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Elena builds her confidence and level of play as tournaments progress. As long as Elena can squeak through her first few rounds or so, she is definitely money. :)

yeah. she tends to do well in the big matches. i like her chances against davenport, clijsters, mauresmo, pierce or h-h in the later rounds

fammmmedspin
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM
well the time elena beat myskina in moscow, she really proved she was the better player. it was a totally dominating performance. their other matches are not nearly as good...and go to three sets, which gets to elena more than myskina. obviously elena is the better player and has more tremendous groundstrokes but myskina is in her head...kudos for myskina doing that because that's just as effective as having a better game physically

i wouldn't put much faith in last year given what Myskina's form was like for well known reasons. Myskina played worse when more was at stake because thats how stress works,

I might pay more for Elena's forehand but I think I would prefer having all of Myskina's other shots. Myskina just uses her weapons better and she has a bit more precision and variety to use. As I remember them most Myskina-Dementieva contests depend on a few key shots - often a Myskina one going somewhere Elena wasn't expecting it or a Myskina backhand moving faster than Elena's feet..

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:25 AM
i wouldn't put much faith in last year given what Myskina's form was like for well known reasons. Myskina played worse when more was at stake because thats how stress works,

she was playing well by moscow. and she defeated dementieva at wimbledon, so there is really no way to explain it.

Pheobo
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I agree with her. Two slam finals and few Semis are not flukes. She could win a slams easily imo if she had a better serve, but she seems content with doing it the hard way.

fammmmedspin
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
she was playing well by moscow. and she defeated dementieva at wimbledon, so there is really no way to explain it.

I think thats why though. she really wanted to do well at the FO and Moscow but didn't ,whilst she fought her way back at Wimbledon where there was no expectation. Its what you could expect if you are stressed out - add expectation and desire and you play less well. take off some pressure and you have enough fight to win something?

Thats another reason why this year will be fascinating if both the natural top Russians are playing well. Nastya-Maria is an unresolved competition and we don't know the state of Nastya-Elena either. Of course that requires Nastya to get back to full form and not have any home worries. Elena also has ground to get back - on her 2004 form she might have done better than Mary last year? She lost that little edge that she pulled out in her big GS wins in 2004 - just a bit of inconsistency or tiredness wheras in 2004 she could pull something match winning out of the hat.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
roar.

yay Lena! :hug:

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:39 AM
well i don't agree with her:) and i love elena, but sorry...nope, not gonna happen

10nisfanofruz
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Elena is right! She has everything to win a Slam. She just needs luck. ;)

switz
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:34 AM
no she needs to improve her serve. she is amazing the way she blocks it out match after match but it always eventually catches up with her - it's no coincidence that she's one of the best at her best but her biggest title is a tier II.

Geisha
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:38 AM
She has everything to win a Slam, sure. But, can she use everything she has and beat the likes of Sharapova, Venus, Lindsay, and others?

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Someone is taking this exhibition a little too seriously. I hope Venus, Lindsay, or Kim take it to her and show her that she does have work to do on the court. She's perfect in the looks department though.

Brooks.
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Someone is taking this exhibition a little too seriously. I hope Venus, Lindsay, or Kim take it to her and show her that she does have work to do on the court. She's perfect in the looks department though.

:tape: :lol:

Sorry but we here you say the same thing every couple of months Elena...it's time to let the tennis do the talking....

Rexman
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM

Myskina straight-setted her in all three of their 2004 meetings, in which Elena won 14 games in three matches.

Add in Myskina has won 5 of the last 6 meetings.

I don't see how Elena is obviously the better player off of one match where Nastya didn't play well.

Andrew..
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Oh, Alyona. Saying the same things year after year.

I remember the classic quote from Miami 2004 after she beat Venus: "I don't need serve to be champion!". I wanted Serena to just kick her ass after she went on about that.

Stamp Paid
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Oh, Alyona. Saying the same things year after year.

I remember the classic quote from Miami 2004 after she beat Venus: "I don't need serve to be champion!". I wanted Serena to just kick her ass after she went on about that.

LMAO

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:58 AM

she beat them all last year. :confused:

jbone_0307
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Then why haven't you won one yet? :lol: You obviously don't have everything to win a slam, if you haven't won a slam.

DragonFlame
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM
elena not again :( , shame on you girl. going at it again, let your tennis do the talking for once!

SzavayFi
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I believe it go Lena :rocker2:

Rub
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:03 AM
she's really good.. she has to have a slam!

Geisha
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:03 AM

But, never in succession. Look at the Slam winners of the past year and it becomes obvious that Elena might need to do a little something extra if she has hopes of winning a Grand Slam in the upcoming year.

Serena '05 Australian Open
def. Mauresmo, Sharapova, Davenport

Justine '05 French Open
def. Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Pierce

Venus '05 Wimbledon
def. Pierce, Sharapova, Davenport

Kim '05 US Open
def. Venus, Sharapova, Pierce

All of them played three or four consistent matches against the best players of the WTATour in today's time. Elena has shown that she can beat a great player once a Slam, but never enough to win a whole one.

Stamp Paid
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Je sais.

Brooks.
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM

but where did she beat them is the important thing.....she had one big win last year....against Lindsay at the Open...one big win in the entire year

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:08 AM
i see your point LTL, but she can beat the top players consistently, if not in succession. i'm sure she'll be able to string the wins together when necessary...especially this year. from following lena since 2004, i can tell that she has the potential and talent but she's just not a born champion like serena, venus, or henin (although i hate giving her credit for it). i don't think davenport, hingis, and clijsters are "born" champions, so it's good company to be in because they have managed to be champions despite the odds. so she's gonna have to learn to believe in herself before she can produce the big results. i think she'll be able to do it this season. when elena is on, she's really great. her shots and accuracy are just :eek:

and she has one of the best returns on the tour...if she starts to hold more, she's gonna beat everyone.

xin_hui
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:12 AM

yeah, she beat kim once and kim trounced her the other 3 times;)

hablo
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
i don't think davenport, hingis, and clijsters are "born" champions, so it's good company to be in because they have managed to be champions despite the odds.
:tape:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah Lena , that's the way

I believe in Lena options , she got tennis and fighting spirit

Knizzle
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Dementieva is delusional. She doesn't know how to be aggressive and take it to the big guns. If they don't make mistakes returning her weak serve, she won't win.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:39 AM
If it, the belief and confidence, doesn't begin with Elena she might as well be playing tennis for the exercise. She's believing in herself and that's cool.

franny
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:45 AM
i see your point LTL, but she can beat the top players consistently, if not in succession. i'm sure she'll be able to string the wins together when necessary...especially this year. from following lena since 2004, i can tell that she has the potential and talent but she's just not a born champion like serena, venus, or henin (although i hate giving her credit for it). i don't think davenport, hingis, and clijsters are "born" champions, so it's good company to be in because they have managed to be champions despite the odds. so she's gonna have to learn to believe in herself before she can produce the big results. i think she'll be able to do it this season. when elena is on, she's really great. her shots and accuracy are just :eek:

and she has one of the best returns on the tour...if she starts to hold more, she's gonna beat everyone.

How is Hingis not a born champion? The talent that she has and the desire that she once held is natural. If you watched her when she won her slams, and especially during 97 and 98, you would see the fire and fearlessness that she once had. She was born with it, and that makes her a born champion. If anything, she lost it, which is why she struggled later on in her career. I'm sorry, but if you win 5 slams and is number 1 for 200+ weeks, you are a born champion.

franny
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM
She can definitely win a slam. She has all the tools, except the serve. But off the ground, she can rally with anyone. But going to the next level is putting her head straight and attaining the consistency to beat all the top players. At her current level, she can't do that, which is why she is wrong. She does need to go to the next level. Don't forget, she won this tournament last year and beat Sharapova. I remember her afterwards saying how confident she is that it was going to be her year and that she felt great going in the Aus Open, but then look at where it got her. I'll believe when I see it. She talks the talk, but in the end, she's gotta use all that talent of hers to actually win it.

jacky90104
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:02 AM
She will lose :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Barlos
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Sounds like she's just getting carried away after thrashing serena. I don't think she'll win a GS this year but we'll see...

Prizeidiot
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:54 AM
but where did she beat them is the important thing.....she had one big win last year....against Lindsay at the Open...one big win in the entire year
The important word you used was "where" which suggests the problem is mental.

Technically, her game doesn't have to go to the next level. The shots are there to win a slam, it's all in the head.

esquímaux
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM
I have nothing to say. I'm just gonna sit quietly and start tapin' up :tape::tape::duct tape:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM
i hope she will but it wont be till atleast next year

Dementinator
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Well its certainly possible and she DOES have all she needs ,even the serve can be perfectly fine on her good days ,she needs to keeo it all together ,her match against Kim in Filderstadt was the proof ,Elena did everyting better than Kim on THAT day ,but her problem is she cant keep it together for enough mathes in a row,so if she can sort that out she has everything she needs ,spped ,fitness,power ,shots and determination.

Everyone jumps on her when she says things like this ,shes allowed to feel confident ,all players have to be ,i mean Serenas saying she will be number one and shes committed to tennis etc ,but meanwhile while she gets fatter and fatter and slower and clearly does care a shit ,but shes entitled to say what she feels as is Elena ,let her be confident for a change ,she will achieve far more in her life than the majority of pointless people here including me..

Happy Guy
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I watched her play last night. She made some 10 DFs, but she was really going for it. No more spin serves, and she was not afraid of Serena, not even in the early stage.

She has pumped up a lot since Wimbledon and she is hitting very hard, she can return seemingly Serena's winners down the line by forcing a winner down the line instead!

She just needs a big title to grow in confidence.

saki
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
And that kind of comment is why she won't. It's not that her game isn't good enough, she could luck out and get a good draw but it's her attitude. Multiple Slam champions don't talk that way, they want to improve. Steffi was winning everything in sight and still wanted a better topspin backhand. It's that drive that makes the difference between a very good player and a champion.

améliemomo
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
it reminds me her sentence last year"nothing can stop me from being n°1" but she hasnt done anything.Even one tournament.

She will jinx herself again.

vutt
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Well last time when she beat Kim she said she's going to be #1 and played after that very poorly up until end of the season. Let's hope she does not lose in AO 1st round.
History has shown she can do it easily...

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
People - this is a girl who has reached 2 Slam finals so she's not too far away.

Those who say not going to happen blah blah blah, if she got a favourable draw she could probably win a Slam on current form. I only see her improving and she's a shoe in for a Slam in the next year or so.

xin_hui
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:03 AM
People - this is a girl who has reached 2 Slam finals so she's not too far away.

Those who say not going to happen blah blah blah, if she got a favourable draw she could probably win a Slam on current form. I only see her improving and she's a shoe in for a Slam in the next year or so.

the 2 slam finals she played were against myskina and kuznetsova. were those winnable matches? definitely. did she win them? no

morningglory
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:03 AM
true, but a higher serve percentage will certainly help. Just think about what she's done with the worst serve on the tour.... now think what she WILL do once that serve is fixed......
Ah, and still need to find a way to beat your old friend Anya, eh? *cough* not wimby 05 again.... *cough*

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
the 2 slam finals she played were against myskina and kuznetsova. were those winnable matches? definitely. did she win them? no

This was a unique situation though where all 3 of these players had not won a Slam - i guess based on that Elena should have won the US Open as she already had a final under her belt but it's all experience and she'll probably be a threat for one of the majors in 2006.

Pamela Shriver
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Elena should come to me for advice...

miffedmax
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Lena D. is prone to mental collapses in finals. If she was .500 in finals, she'd have a slam, 7 or 8 Tier I titles and a bunch of silenced haters.

Her best chance is to get through to a final against another headcase like herself and not lose.

The serve problems are mental, not physical, because she can serve well at times.

GoDominique
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Lolol.

morningglory
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:51 AM
watch out, wound... here comes salt!

GrandSlam05
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Especially the serve, right Lena? Keep it at this level. :lol:

St.Sebastian
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
:secret: :anzela: :elena:

DragonFlame
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Lolol.

another bitch :mad: just leave us alone, kicking people when they are down :sad: basterd :o

hablo
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I had a feeling this thread would get bumped :o

strawberry.babou
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Does this really make you people feel happy? Wtf.

esquímaux
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I had a feeling this thread would get bumped :oDitto :o So I didn't bother looking for it :lol: :devil:

matthias
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:00 AM
poor elena - does she really believe it?
i mean "i have everything to win a slam" this quote from Dementieva :rolleyes:

hablo
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Ditto :o So I didn't bother looking for it :lol: :devil:
:spit::haha: you are evil!! :devil:

Simplicity
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Go Venus!! :bounce:

esquímaux
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
:spit::haha: you are evil!! :devil::haha: :haha: :haha: btw, I'm *DEAD* @ your rep comment :lol: :lol: :D

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:27 AM
hahha funny you brought this back up. wanna say this again elena?!?

Hagar
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Elena D. is a stupid girl. If you think you have everything to win a Slam, you should not be kicked out in the first round. Yes, I know it happened to Justine before, and it just happened to Venus, but their record is much fuller than Elena D.'s.

Marshmallow
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Elena D. is a stupid girl. If you think you have everything to win a Slam, you should not be kicked out in the first round. Yes, I know it happened to Justine before, and it just happened to Venus, but their record is much fuller than Elena D.'s.

You're being too harsh, and not respecting Elena's talent.

I think bring back this thread was a pretty low blow - but they let allsorts into the forums.

Elena has been in the final of two slams, both slam finals she could have won especially the USO 2004 with her record against Svetlana. While yes she hasn't won a tier 1, she has defeated just about all the top players on the tour.

She has an amazing game, and her grounsdtrokes are perhaps the most lethal when they're on. And you can't ever talk down her mental abilties, because this lady is one of the best fighters on the tour. She fights for every point.

perhaps she can't qite put it all together when it matter enough, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have what it takes to win a slam or be number one. Her self belief is justified, and anyone who thinks different is just being disrespectful of this top class tennis player.

[I can't believe 2 of my fav. out of day one].

Hagar
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
You're being too harsh, and not respecting Elena's talent.

I think bring back this thread was a pretty low blow - but they let allsorts into the forums.

Elena has been in the final of two slams, both slam finals she could have won especially the USO 2004 with her record against Svetlana. While yes she hasn't won a tier 1, she has defeated just about all the top players on the tour.

She has an amazing game, and her grounsdtrokes are perhaps the most lethal when they're on. And you can't ever talk down her mental abilties, because this lady is one of the best fighters on the tour. She fights for every point.

perhaps she can't qite put it all together when it matter enough, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have what it takes to win a slam or be number one. Her self belief is justified, and anyone who thinks different is just being disrespectful of this top class tennis player.

[I can't believe 2 of my fav. out of day one].

I am not judging her as a player here, she is a good player but she is also a stupid person. I'm saying this because she often says stupid things in interviews, also about the other Russians. Can't help it but she seems like a quite resentful and jealous person.

Marshmallow
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Oh please. A person can say SILLY things here and there and not be a silly person. Behaviour you witness rarely, doesn't sum up a person's overall character. I could so easily list and quote all the smart, witty and nice thing elena has said and say she's the perfect human being. Same concept.

I don't think the quote in question is studpid at all - she has a record that can justify such a claim.

purplerain
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM
oh no she is not a stupid girl. Everybody is up and down and GS chances are nondeterministic :rolleyes: and nobody made no mistake :shrug: say Venus, Justine, Nastya all suffered of first round exit, can you just say they don't " have everything to win a slam" ?
anyway it is just not your day Elena. Good luck in you doubles :bounce:

xin_hui
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:13 AM
oh no she is not a stupid girl. Everybody is up and down and GS chances are nondeterministic :rolleyes: and nobody made no mistake :shrug: say Venus, Justine, Nastya all suffered of first round exit, can you just say they don't " have everything to win a slam" ?
anyway it is just not your day Elena. Good luck in you doubles :bounce:

erm, all 3 of them have proven they CAN win a slam. elena hasnt:tape: