PDA

View Full Version : Will Serena's wakeup call be when she crashes out of the AO???

tennisfanxx
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:51 PM
After a horrendous start to the new season with a loss it looks like all the loses in 2005 did nothing to motivate Serena to improve at all. So if she crashes out early in the AO will that finally get her to fix whatever problems she is dealing with??

crazyroberto6767
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM
From Wimbledon 05 to USO 05 there was a CLEAR change for the better. If you fail to recognize that, then it's your problem. I'm not sure how much progress she has made since then (because I've haven't seen many pictures and I can't judge from pictures), but I've heard from a few posters that she's getting thinner. Fitness will follow, it can't happen all at once. Oh and I don't think one loss to a top-10 player is a horrendous start when it's in an exhibition no less.

cartmancop
Who knows...I thought that the Wimbledon loss was embarrassing enought that she would work extremely hard to make sure that never happened again... But a loss @ the AO would send her plummetting down the rankings which would have to grab her attention, esp. if she loses the chance to be seeded and starts playing top players earlier & earlier.

Paialii
After a horrendous start to the new season with a loss it looks like all the loses in 2005 did nothing to motivate Serena to improve at all. So if she crashes out early in the AO will that finally get her to fix whatever problems she is dealing with??

Here's a better question:

Can you please wait to see Serena in Australia before you make annoying hypotheticals?

cartmancop
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
however, her body is in better shape than it was @ Wimbledon so maybe she'll surprise us...

tennisfanxx
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Judging by her fitness and play today there are no signs that she will do well at the AO. Don't be in denial and expect her to defend! Get real!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
if she didnt learn it from wimbledon she wont learn it in melbourne

-VSR-
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I love LOOOVE Serena. But I really wonder what is wrong? She seems slow, sluggish, well that could be rust. But still, she is not happy on the court. She doesn't show joy in playing tennis, I can't see it in her. If she is not enjoying tennis right now, then the results will not come. I know it's just an exhibition, but at least smile. I don't like seeing her like this, it gets me depressed. Even in 2005 Serena was not the same, I couldn't feel the joy of playing tennis.

The last time I really felt this was in during and after Wimbledon 2004. When she lost to Sharapova in the finals even then she was soooo joyful in tennis (this was the year she came back from that long time away from her knee surgery in 2003). I want that Serena back again, not this one. But I will wait until the Australian Open to see if she is happy, cause if she is not don't expect her to do well. She needs to be happy to suceed, and then she will start to win again.

creep
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Who knows, we certainly don’t. We can speculate, maybe it’s because Serena has been there, bought the t-shirt, written the book, seen the movie (possibly act in it when it’s made) what possibly motivates a person when they’re loaded to do the same thing over and over again, year after year. She had a quite severe injury with her knee. Personally I don’t think she’s ever been the same player again. It must be very demanding (you know what working to pay the bills is like) to demand total professionalism from yourself time after time.(And Serena being a perfectionist into the bargain) Surely it’s mentally taxing. She’s made her money, maybe she’d just rather have more time spending it now.

-VSR-
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
:sad:

Creep you may be right.

Savior
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I think it's too early to say how well Serena will do at the Aussie Open. But, she's way outta shape and that's never gonna help you win matches. That's not a knock on her, I just have a pair of eyes that work and a memory long enough to remember what she looks like when she's in Serena Slam shape. If I had to guess, she'll probably end up retiring mid-match once her conditioning fails her under the hot Aussie sun.

But, it may be even more distressing that Venus - one who's ALWAYS had a long and lean physique - has suddenly put on a noticable amount of weight. I think Venus is the one that could be in the most trouble of the two.

I sure do hope they really put their noses to the grindstone and work as hard as we all know they can to prepare for the Aussie Open. Women's tennis is so much better when they are at the top of their game and stick around to the later stages of a tournament. Look how much people talk about them? Love them or love to hate them, they're good for the game. I just hope they rise to the challenge of actually playing a reasonable full schedule in a calendar year.

-VSR-
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I don't see the "weight" Venus has put on. Everyone keeps saying this but I cannot see it. I would like it if someone would tell me where they are looking. Also, I wouldn't go by these 3 pictures of her, they could be misleading. It is just so obvious with Serena, that she is not in the best physical condition. But I am not worried about Venus, she has a good mental attitude and looks to be enjoying herself.

*JR*
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Poor Serena can't catch a break on bulletin boards. When she wins, she's described like an NFL linebacker with a tennis racquet. When she loses, she supposedly sucks.
:confused:

Simplicity
I don't know what to say ::shrug: serne aplease just get it together babes!! :o Lose early, and my love for you fades :(

Cat's Pajamas
is she bombs out at the australian then i think she will never get back to where she was... :o

-VSR-
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Poor Serena can't catch a break on bulletin boards. When she wins, she's described like an NFL linebacker with a tennis racquet. When she loses, she supposedly sucks.
:confused:

I hope you're not talking about me. Because I am not on those lines at all. I sitll love Serena, but I want to Serena show some love for the game.

cartmancop
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not too worried about Venus either... She hasn't played a singles match yet & many are saying that she's gained alot of weight & is out of shape. Like someone said in another thread, she usually has a little bit more weight in the beginning of the season and loses it very quickly after playing a couple of matches...

Bounty Hunter
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
All these threads about Serena today. One might think she won.

That's my girl, always stealing the spot light from the other players when she wins or losses.... I think 5 threads has started ....

She really is FAMOUS and the BEST DAMN TENNIS PLAYER IN THE
WORLD.. :worship: :worship:

Only one thread about Elena's win which was the final match scores...

hmmmm

Go Serena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Who knows, we certainly don’t. We can speculate, maybe it’s because Serena has been there, bought the t-shirt, written the book, seen the movie (possibly act in it when it’s made) what possibly motivates a person when they’re loaded to do the same thing over and over again, year after year. She had a quite severe injury with her knee. Personally I don’t think she’s ever been the same player again. It must be very demanding (you know what working to pay the bills is like) to demand total professionalism from yourself time after time.(And Serena being a perfectionist into the bargain) Surely it’s mentally taxing. She’s made her money, maybe she’d just rather have more time spending it now.
This is a good honest post. All anyone can do is speculate, but I don't believe she would be on the court if she didn't want t play and anytime she plays, she wants to win. I just think we need to let her play through the rust. I hope she defends her title at the AO, but I have doubts about it. If she can stay healthy through the season, get match tough and get her confidence back, she can do anything. She might just take Miami, Rome, the FO, Wimby and the US Open and come back in 2007 and win the Serena Slam. Who would have thought she would have dominated the 2002 season after spraining her ankle at the AO in '02?

volta
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
This is a good honest post. All anyone can do is speculate, but I don't believe she would be on the court if she didn't want t play and anytime she plays, she wants to win. I just think we need to let her play through the rust. I hope she defends her title at the AO, but I have doubts about it. If she can stay healthy through the season, get match tough and get her confidence back, she can do anything. She might just take Miami, Rome, the FO, Wimby and the US Open and come back in 2007 and win the Serena Slam. Who would have thought she would have dominated the 2002 season after spraining her ankle at the AO in '02?
it was in Sidney against Patty or Meghann ( not sure but i think it was patty) . she didnt have the chance to even try to play the AO :sad:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
All these threads about Serena today. One might think she won.

That's my girl, always stealing the spot light from the other players when she wins or losses.... I think 5 threads has started ....

She really is FAMOUS and the BEST DAMN TENNIS PLAYER IN THE
WORLD.. :worship: :worship:

Only one thread about Elena's win which was the final match scores...

hmmmm

Go Serena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Sheesh, I tell you. Besides that, all of her fair weather fans have fallen to the wayside. They endured 2005 thinking if they could only hold out until 2006 when surely she would be back kicking ass and taking names and now that she lost one exhibition match, her career is over :lol:. If she bombs out early in OZ there's no turning it around for her. :rolleyes: She's fat and out of shape and she will retire in the heat of her first match. All these predictions. :lol: I can't wait to see what really unfolds.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I think she's already had her wakeup call. Losing at Wimbledon...Venus going on to win it...not being able to compete to her capablility in as many tournaments as she'd liked, and feeling the affects of coming back from injury. No doubt, Serena's a very hard worker. It'll probably take her a bit longer than she thought it would to fully regain her strength and fitness level, but I believe that she's determined enough and she'll do it.

*JR*
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I hope you're not talking about me. Because I am not on those lines at all. I sitll love Serena, but I want to Serena show some love for the game.
No. And not just about this board, either, (On GoTennis and Tennisrulz, they're probably dancing on their computers). BTW, I agree that she needs to greatly reduce the distractions, like TV guest star roles.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:55 PM
it was in Sidney against Patty . she didnt have the chance to even try to play the AO :sad:
That's right, my bad. I knew that. :lol: She had no chance of even playing Oz, but dominated the rest of the year. Who woulda thunk it?

*JR*
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
it was in Sidney against Patty or Meghann ( not sure but i think it was patty) . she didnt have the chance to even try to play the AO :sad:
Against Meghann, I think.

volta
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
That's right, my bad. I knew that. :lol: She had no chance of even playing Oz, but dominated the rest of the year. Who woulda thunk it?
she would make the Grand Slam :worship: well she did it anyway dispite what some people say. :rolleyes:

RenaSlam.
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM
She looks like shit right now. Not gonna lie.

Please Serena, I miss you...get fit.

volta
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Against Meghann, I think.
yeah im not 2 sure as well :lol:

ceiling_fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I don't think Serena will get past the 4th round. If she crashes out, then I hope it will be a big wake-up call so she can improve and go back to the top.

jonny84
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
OK.

Lets not forget that this is an exhibition event. It really doesnt matter. It is not included on Serena's record or in the Head-To-Heads. Ok, she didn't win today and she lost to a better player, a player in the Top10, but it happens. This isnt going to be the end of her career.

Last year, it would be fair to say that many didn't expect Serena really to win the Australian Open, but she did and proved them wrong.

Don't make such a big deal out of one match in an exhibition people.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM
OK.

Lets not forget that this is an exhibition event. It really doesnt matter. It is not included on Serena's record or in the Head-To-Heads. Ok, she didn't win today and she lost to a better player, a player in the Top10, but it happens. This isnt going to be the end of her career.

Last year, it would be fair to say that many didn't expect Serena really to win the Australian Open, but she did and proved them wrong.

Don't make such a big deal out of one match in an exhibition people.
:worship:

Mr_Molik
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:36 PM
babygurl aint crashin outta no AO :mad:

cartmancop
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
No. And not just about this board, either, (On GoTennis and Tennisrulz, they're probably dancing on their computers). BTW, I agree that she needs to greatly reduce the distractions, like TV guest star roles.

OMG I HATE gotennis... I used to be on there b4 I found WTAWorld :hearts:
The ppl on that board give a new name to the term haters :lol:

venusfan
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I just saw pictures and Serena is a mess. She still looks out of shape and looked like some old out of shape woman on the tour. If she really cared about her tennis career she would have gotton in better shape. With the money she has she can easily get fit within a month or two. I'm sorry she's one of my girls but she's tore up from the floor up. Looking at Clijsters she looks so fit. I'm sorry but from all the photos I'm looking at Serena just looks chubby.

*JR*
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
OMG I HATE gotennis... I used to be on there b4 I found WTAWorld :hearts:
The ppl on that board give a new name to the term haters :lol:
True. But RIP Anyanka (PennyLane) :angel: and David (Dayhovah). :angel: (shhh, our fellow GT alum JustineTime will think I got religion). ;)

yeah im not 2 sure as well :lol:
Turns out I was right. B4 I knew PP's life story, Meghann was my favorite pin cushion, though I never hated on her with the same, er, passion. But I detested Rafael (Meg's statutory rapist from when she was about 14) almost as much as I now do Rainer, so I knew a lot about her. Thus my memory was correct re. Sydney '02:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=/global/Pdfs/events/2002/sydney_draws.pdf

Kart
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I suspect Serena had her wake up call shortly after Wimbedon 2003.

I doubt a loss in grand slam competition matches up in comparison.

*JR*
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
I suspect Serena had her wake up call shortly after Wimbedon 2003.

I doubt a loss in grand slam competition matches up in comparison.
I think you mean RG (to title-bound Justine in one semi, amidst a "certain :bigwave: controversy"). A "fully awake" Serena avenged the loss "12-5" @ Wimby. ;)

-VSR-
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:06 AM
If Serena puts her heart into at the AusOpen who knows what she could do. But I just haven't seen that heart for a while. The last time was only a glimmer last year at Oz. :sad: :hug:

jamatthews
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
From Wimbledon 05 to USO 05 there was a CLEAR change for the better. If you fail to recognize that, then it's your problem.

And straight after that she lost to a player outside the top 100...CLEAR change for the better.

Dasha_
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
As long as she is enjoying in what she is doing (wining slams, going shopping, acting in the movies, etc.), it’s fine by me.

I know that Serena is the best player and the biggest fighter out there, and, for me, that is enough. She won 7 single grand slam titles, she held “Serena slam“, she was number 1 player in the world…. Who else, among active players, has managed to do that?

I just hope she will not gave up on tennis, because that would be a very boring sport without her.

Paneru
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Judging by her fitness and play today there are no signs that she will do well at the AO. Don't be in denial and expect her to defend! Get real!

What do you give a damn? :cool:

It was a freakin' exhibition and
1st play of the year, get a grip! :p

Dasha_
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Anyway, sharapova lost her exibition match (to lower ranked player than elena), so why there is no thread about her crashing out at AO?

Experimentee
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I love it how everyone is predicting doom for Serena every time she loses a match, even an exo :rolleyes:

Give her a break. This was her first match back in a long time, she cant be expected to play that well. Shes also had her injury problems, so we dont know what might have been affecting her. The scoreline is a bit worrying, but we'll have to see how she does at the AO before saying these things about her motivation.

hingis-seles
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I expected it to happen, an expectation which was confirmed once she trashed Martina and Venus on her way to winning Miami. Then, it was obvious.

hingis-seles
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Children! Children!

It's a loss in an exhibition! Don't make it out to be bigger than that.

creep
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Who’d have ever thought Serena would have a lack of confidence? It’s possible that it’s more a boost of confidence for her opponents who rarely got a look in when they played Serena rather than the big girl herself not having faith in her own ability.
Yeah I agree anytime any champion steps on court they always want to win, that’s what makes them special, but having the same hunger, desire, killer instinct, call it what you may, after so many years at the top of your profession must be hard going, especially in today’s game when players are millionaires overnight.

Spraining your ankles one thing, having extensive knee surgery is another.As I said previously, I don’t believe myself that Serena has been anywhere near herself since. So it shows what a remarkable player she genuinely is in reaching a slam final, let alone winning another.

It’s easy us sitting at home or at work discussing the pitfalls of professional sport when we don’t compete ourselves. Suggesting what she should or shouldn’t do in her career, but we don’t have a clue what it’s like, we can only dream. We think we know the players because we read this and that in magazines or from interviews. What Serena’s thinking I wouldn’t have an ounce, but possibly she’s just had enough of tennis in the meantime and she’d rather be doing other things right now in her life. I’ve always got the impression Serena could take or leave tennis, maybe I’m wrong. Now what the future hold, we’ll have to wait and see.

I can only speak from the heart as a tennis fan and Serena has given me personally great enjoyment, excitement (and loads of cash, she won me a fortune :) ) and many a heart attack through her career.

Denise4925
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Who’d have ever thought Serena would have a lack of confidence? It’s possible that it’s more a boost of confidence for her opponents who rarely got a look in when they played Serena rather than the big girl herself not having faith in her own ability.
Yeah I agree anytime any champion steps on court they always want to win, that’s what makes them special, but having the same hunger, desire, killer instinct, call it what you may, after so many years at the top of your profession must be hard going, especially in today’s game when players are millionaires overnight.

Spraining your ankles one thing, having extensive knee surgery is another.As I said previously, I don’t believe myself that Serena has been anywhere near herself since. So it shows what a remarkable player she genuinely is in reaching a slam final, let alone winning another.

It’s easy us sitting at home or at work discussing the pitfalls of professional sport when we don’t compete ourselves. Suggesting what she should or shouldn’t do in her career, but we don’t have a clue what it’s like, we can only dream. We think we know the players because we read this and that in magazines or from interviews. What Serena’s thinking I wouldn’t have an ounce, but possibly she’s just had enough of tennis in the meantime and she’d rather be doing other things right now in her life. I’ve always got the impression Serena could take or leave tennis, maybe I’m wrong. Now what the future hold, we’ll have to wait and see.

I can only speak from the heart as a tennis fan and Serena has given me personally great enjoyment, excitement (and loads of cash, she won me a fortune :) ) and many a heart attack through her career.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Although I do think she has lost a bit of confidence. I read somewhere that the secret to success in a battle is never seek to defeat the opponent, but seek to defeat his confidence, because a mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on the course of victory. You can tell her confidence is not what it used to be because some of the swagger in her step is gone and the look of anguish is on her face. I'm not sure what's going on with her, but as the season goes on, I'm sure we'll find out.