PDA

View Full Version : Hingis says there's nothing that special about Sharapova!!

tennisrox
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM
She's at it again!Marti is such a bitch!She's soo great for the tour! :hearts:

Hingis puts usual suspects on notice: Maria first on hit list
Email Print Normal font Large font By Linda Pearce
January 5, 2006
Advertisement
AdvertisementMARTINA Hingis has questioned the credentials of another former Wimbledon champion and world No.1, Maria Sharapova, the player the provocative Swiss most wants to meet on her journey along the comeback path.

"It's always been, 'I wonder what she's got, Sharapova?', because I don't see that she's got something that special," said Hingis, who has previously admitted she relishes the prospect of confronting Sharapova.

"Her serve is great, her groundstrokes, but I can't tell until I play her what makes her so exceptional. Or do you know? Can you tell? What's so exceptional about her?"

When it was suggested that Sharapova - who on August 22 became the fifth-youngest No.1 in history behind Hingis - is a powerful shot-maker, mentally tough, and plays the big points well, Hingis agreed that "sometimes one point here, one point there, that's the difference".

She should know, for so it was yesterday at the Australian Women's Hardcourt, with Hingis too steady in the clutch moments for 35th-ranked Klara Koukalova. The 6-3, 6-2 result sets up a winnable quarter-final against Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives, who upset second seed Francesca Schiavone. Thus, more than three years after her last serious match, Hingis is yet to drop a set.

The day after Lindsay Davenport warned in Hong Kong that her contemporary would find it tough to return to the top after such a long sabbatical, Hingis was also delivered some more welcome news: that her old aura is still worth something in the currency of tennis respect.

"One thing I realise is that still some of the girls they do have respect, that's nice to see, now I have to take advantage of it," she said. "Sometimes it seems that opponents are pulling back rather than going forward."

Yet one problem has been closing out sets, and Hingis needed to save three break points at the end of the first, and another two at the death in the second, as her reworked serve became a little tight and tentative and Koukalova decided to attack what is still a vulnerable second ball.

Hingis said she was happiest that it was "the winning spirit which got me through today, that I really wanted it more because we were pretty flat, both of us, at the end and I just really had more to give". "And at the third match point I was like, 'please, thank God, you know, it was over'. So that anticipation's coming back and every set I feel like I'm shaking off a little bit of the rustiness of the last three years. Overall I think it was a pretty solid performance."

Had Hingis been offered a semi-final appearance before her comeback event started, she surely would have taken it, and Schiavone's departure opens up the draw nicely. Vives has the dubious honour of being the only player to lose in a WTA Tour event to lowly-ranked Australian Sophie Ferguson, at last year's Australian Open, and Hingis was scarcely trembling with apprehension ahead of today's match.

"She's a little girl, running, so she's hopefully not going to overpower me - that's one thing," said the five-time grand slam winner. "You just have to be patient. She gets a lot of balls back, she runs down a lot of balls. I don't think she really has a big weapon, but neither does she have a weakness."

Later, speaking in Swiss-German, a typically forthright Hingis said of Llagostera Vives that while her next opponent is a good claycourter, "frankly, she shovels the ball back".

The remaining quarter-finals will feature top seed Patty Schnyder against Lucie Safarova, No.3 seed Dinara Safina versus Anabel Medina Garrigues and fourth seed Flavia Pennetta against either Tatiana Golovin or Sybille Bammer.

-Sonic-
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa

She's pure gold :D

harloo
:lol: Martina is at it again. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully Sharapova doesn't bagel the Swiss Miss if they should meet.:tape:

tenn_ace
there is already a thread about it. a long one too.

Dasha_
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
now, i simply must love martina even more....

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
if you read the aricle completely she says she doesn't see what's so special about sharapova so she wants to find out. the only way that is is to be on the other side of the net.
she never said such a thing what your threadtitle says, talk about manipulating things. :rolleyes:
i suggest you change your threadtitle :o

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Well, now we know that Hingis is really back. Talking bull already. . .after two matches. :lol: Admittedly, she has been impressive and looks set to get to the semis--not bad for a three year layoff. :worship:

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I agree with her :tape:

Danči Dementia
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Oh martina you have no idea of how much I've been missing you

tennisrox
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
if you read the aricle completely she says she doesn't see what's so special about sharapova so she wants to find out. the only way that is is to be on the other side of the net.
she never said such a thing what your threadtitle says, talk about manipulating things. :rolleyes:

Hingis said:I don't see that Maria has something special.

Thread title:Hingis says there's nothing special about Sharapova. :shrug:

She doesn't think Maria is that great,or she would never have said anything.She's throwing down a challenge.

Hingis is just a little more diplomatic than she used to be,or she wouldn't even have bothered with the second part.

Infiniti2001
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Well, now we now that Hingis is really back. Talking bull already. . .after two matches. :lol: Admittedly, she has been impressive and looks set to get to the semis--not bad for a three year layoff. :worship:

Hopefully Maria will take all this in and show her :eek: Meanwhile , before she left she always trounced her early round opponents decisively so this is nothing new really--- we have to wait to see what happens later :tape:

irinska
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Martina has never said that I watched that interview.It's very poor from there part to write such things. I n my opinion it's even illigal.

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hingis said:I don't see that Maria has something special.

Thread title:Hingis says there's nothing special about Sharapova. :shrug:

She doesn't think Maria is that great,or she would never have said anything.She's throwing down a challenge.

Hingis is just a little more diplomatic than she used to be,or she wouldn't even have bothered with the second part.

you took the words out of it's context. when you look at the quote in the article:

"It's always been, 'I wonder what she's got, Sharapova?', because I don't see that she's got something that special," said Hingis

it first starts with a question, asking what's so special about sharapova. then stating after that she doesn't see anything that special(the word nothing like your threadtitle says isn't even used). even stating later in the article she wants to find it out if she is really special and the only way is to play her.

now do you see your threadtitle 'hingis says there's nothing special about sharapova!!' is completely wrong and only trying to blow and stur things up by taking the words out of context? :o

faboozadoo15
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM
it's kinda funny how martina praised sharapova endlessly during her time off as a commentator, and now that she's back she can't pinpoint what is so special about her. :haha:
hingis is such a media darling, and even if she takes little pokes at sharapova, i'm loving her return (especially because i know there'd be a breadstick or a bagel flying at martina if she played sharapova).

Martian KC
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Martina has never said that I watched that interview.It's very poor from there part to write such things. I n my opinion it's even illigal.

Anything to bait negative feedback from Martina's comeback.:rolleyes:

And what do you know, just from reading this thread, it's hook, line, and sinker.:o
Hey haters!:wavey:

tennisrox
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
you it first starts with a question, asking what's so special about sharapova. then stating after that she doesn't see anything that special(the word nothing like your threadtitle says isn't even used). even stating later in the article she wants to find it out if she is really special and the only way is to play her.

Oh alright.If you want to be picky about it. :p

Martina should have known how suggestive that quote sounded.She should think twice before she says something like that.But I really don't want her to think before she talks :D

radics
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
You people suck! Just like the media, you just hear what you want to hear.

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Martina should have known how suggestive that quote sounded.She should think twice before she says something like that.But I really don't want her to think before she talks :D

ok now :angel: let's just hope she wins gold coast this week! :lol: :bounce: btw i love her comments in the suggestive way, it makes people and article's think she said such things while she really hasn't at all, it's such a sneaky and ingenious way. :cool: you fell for it :p :lol: cheers mate :wavey:

charmedRic
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Oh martina you have no idea of how much I've been missing you

Ditto.

Andrew..
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Yay, Marti is getting chatty again.

AsGoodAsNew
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
there is already a thread about it. a long one too.
Which means you spend TOO much time on the internet. Now go and do some homework so you get a proper job when you're older, or you'll end up like Calimero and Creep. :devil:

alfonsojose
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
"Smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up" :dance: :boxing:

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
i can't wait to see who is gonna be her next vic, if this girl wins Gold Coast title. Kim or Lindsay? :lol:

bellascarlett
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
wow Martina...sometimes I question whether she really means the words that come out of her mouth and how her not being a native English speaker has anything to do with how she blurts out such comments. Well, I've been cheering for her since she announced her comeback but I have to admit her recent comments about Maria don't sit well with me...hahaha...seems like she took a bitchier attitude towards Maria now that she has two matches behind her and has gotten her confidence back. And as someone said, she has praised Maria before so why these comments now (asking what is special about her) ? Although as I've said, you never really know what Martina exactly means. Add in the press, and you get a messier picture.

Either way, I say bring on Sharapova/Hingis...and I hope, as much as I'm pleased for Martina's return and how well she's been doing so far, that Maria wins. :D And with all the coverage about Hingis on Sharapova, their match will surely be the one to watch out for.

Andy_
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
" 'I wonder what she's got, Sharapova?', because I don't see that she's got something that special," said Hingis,

I must say I'm totally with Martina, on this one - and I never thought I'd ever get to post these exact words :p

Volcana
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Her serve is great, her groundstrokes, but I can't tell until I play her what makes her so exceptional.That's trashtalk!?!? You gotta be kidding. This is from the player who once asked her opponent 'Should I serve first, or should I break you?' Call me when the REAL trash-talking starts.

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Sharapova's nothing specsial.......??????? :rolleyes: so why do Martina always talk for Maria in the interview of her ,Maria haters open the threads to speak ill of her ...Oh..! Are they doing odd work ?:cuckoo: and I have been not a Maria fan

Ryan
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
*sigh* Bad title. She said she can't tell until she plays her. But I agree that quote taken completely out of context is bitchy. :rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Welcome back, Ms Hingis. But surely, you can do better than that. I guess once the rust comes off. :devil:

jrm
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM
That may be true but still bitchy comment; typical for Horseteeth Hingis

mike/topgun
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Not surprising that Martina hasn't lost her big mouth...:lol:
and this is not the high limit for her "trashtalk";)
'Should I serve first, or should I break you?' was way better - it was on an official match against Davenport:lol:
we heard some more even harder thoughts of her :p

CooCooCachoo
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I don't see it either :p But Maria is definitely good ;)

Bankhead Bounce
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hingis tell me sumthin I don't already know. :rolleyes:

tennisrox
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I don't see it either :p But Maria is definitely good ;)

I'm with Marti on this one.She's making a reasonable statement.There's nothing 'special' about Maria's game.Just another Bolleteiri clone,but better than the rest.

Wsisters45
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Martina still the bitch we all know and love (well maybe not all of us) :lol: Her bitchy comments are good to the tour. It adds drama to the matches :lol: I'm really glad she's back.

jfk
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hingis always has the best comments. It's like having a TV commentator (which she was) return to the sport. She isn't afraid to analyze her opponents. She's so candid.

ico4498
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM
legs that go on foreva ... thats special!

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I have always been a fan of Martina but I'm angry with her recent comments on Maria!! :(

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I think she just said that to get a matchup with masha

creep
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I think the best way to settle this would be a fight. A mud wrestling contest bewteen the two. And far more people would watch it than would watch the tennis channel.

Martian Willow
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM

She probably did. :)

lukehingis
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Martina's back not just in the tennis court but also in the press room.. but I think she's kind of misquoted. She probably meant that she wants to play Sharapova to see how good she really is as watching her play and playing against her is totally different. She probably doesn't see any special weapon or anything. I don't think she meant to diss Maria at all.

But Martina is right in a sense. Maria's game is pretty flawed. Her movement and volley especially. I think what puts her apart from the rest is her intense competitive spirit and her very strong mental game which is rare in a teenager. Even Martina at 17 didn't have that intensity that Maria had! Maria's intensity on court is often compared to the likes of Seles and the William sisters.

jenny161185
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I havent really heard too much other than Martinas won her two matches - has she been attacking the net much - serve and volleying - or staying back alot or what?

watrat
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
That's another reason why i like Marti.:cool: She is so direct in her comments, sometimes too much for someone to handle.

IceHock
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
ive got a feeling that martina will be in sharapovas quarter of the ao draw

jacobruiz
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I have always been a fan of Martina but I'm angry with her recent comments on Maria!! :(

Aw - don't let it bother you, Mafia.:D Martina has always loved the spotlight and is probably quite giddy from the high of easily winning her first two (three, counting doubles) matches back. I don't think she means any harm and, in any case, if Maria can heal her injuries she'll show Marty just how special she is when they meet!;)

dinhd82
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Martina is right, Sharapova's game is very 1 dimensional and nothing special.

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
ive got a feeling that martina will be in sharapovas quarter of the ao drawthat would be utterly delightful!

raquel
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Her comments on Sharapova are fine. It's the comment on Llagostera Vives that's disrespectful. Frankly she just shovels the ball back? Llagostera hustles and scraps, but it's harder than ever now to survive on the tour with that style. You need a lot of good anticipation, fitness and determination to overcome the big hitters match in, match out, fighting for every point. A lot more than just shovelling it back.

And anyway, if Llagostera is just a shoveller, Hingis should be grateful rather than talk her down. Vento, Koukalova, Llagostera - all good players, but no one who is going to blow you off court. It'll be more interesting to see Hingis up against a player whose Plan A is hitting the ball hard off both sides and relentlessly going for winners - and we'll see who doing the shovelling back then.

RYNJ
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
ive got a feeling that martina will be in sharapovas quarter of the ao draw

Why just quarters, why not just make it the first round :drool:

manu32
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
nothing in the head.....big mouth,awful teeth but no progress since 3 years.....
poor girl..

louisa2k2
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
oh ive missed these martina quotes - she just says what she thinks. :)

dinhd82
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
At least Martina is not afraid to say what Amelie, Kim, Lindsay, Justine, Venus, and other top players wanna say but again she says she wants to find out what so special about Maria by playing her. Nothing wrong with that.

hablo
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
That's trashtalk!?!? You gotta be kidding. This is from the player who once asked her opponent 'Should I serve first, or should I break you?' Call me when the REAL trash-talking starts.
Now that was priceless :haha::devil: (but Lindsay (?) was laughing too when Hingis said this, no ? :p )

timafi
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
At least Martina is not afraid to say what Amelie, Kim, Lindsay, Justine, Venus, and other top players wanna say but again she says she wants to find out what so special about Maria by playing her. Nothing wrong with that.
these players let the racquets do the talking :devil:

Chriskip
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I am no fan of Sharapova because I too think that, even though she has a better game than most players on tour, she never really had to prove herself like a lot of the other top players have had to. Because of her so-called great looks and her marketing team, a lot of hype was put on her when she hadnt done anything yet to go down in the record books as being really great. The thing though is she has time (and money) on her hands and can become on of the bests.

Having said that I think Martina Hingis is a little worried that Maria will become really good and steal her thunder. Why else would she be making Maria the focus of her return? I am just waiting for the day when she turns on Kim too (though it may not happen since Kim says she will retire soon). Yes the same Kim who she is friends with and supposedly spent so much time with while she was off. It never cease to amaze me how players always do that....they say they dont see anything special about another player or that they are not any better than the regular-run-of-the-mill WTA players, but then they spend all their time and focus harping on them, which only leads to building up the so-called "not great" player's will to beat their asses when they meet. Maria did it to Sesil; Venus and Serena did it to most of the tour, including Martina in the latter part of her first career: and players everyday are doing it to other players...... because they do all the trash talk prior to meeting them, when we all know its better to do it after beating them. That behaviour should be left to "fans" like us whose sole purpose it is to select a player(s) and go all out to find ways to prove they are the best....when truth be told most of us wouldnt even know how to hold a racket if we saw one...lol.

I am not sure Martina said exactly what is written here, but its also not unthinkable that she may have meant what the thread starter is implying she did. We tend to base our assumptions and opinions of a person based off what they have portayed to us over a period of time, until they prove otherwise. Only time will tell if Martina has truly matured and will learn to keep somethings to herself, for a more peaceful life. Even if those same things are what most of us say on here everyday and wish someone with more clout would say to our "non-favourites"

dinhd82
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Maria is the target because she is the only top player Martina has never played. And plus ever since her Wimbledon win, Maria is the only thing that the tennis world talks about.

cometz9
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Martina :worship:

Pheobo
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
heehee

I missed you Martina.

franny
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:53 PM
First of all I think that Martina is making Maria the focus of her comeback because the media is making it the focus of her comeback. She probably said once in a response to a question who she was looking forward to playing most that it be Sharapova. Since then, the media has continuously asked her about Sharapova, including the aforementioned question, what is so special about Sharapova. Hingis has always been one to be misquoted by the press. She makes herself susceptible to word twisting because 1) she doesn't think too much before she speaks and 2) she doesn't speak perfect english. Those two combined spells trouble. What she means and what the press wants people to think she means is two completely different things. She probably thinks, "The only way to know how great this Sharapova really is is to play her and I want to play her." The press wants people to think that she thinks, "I am still so much better than Sharapova and I want to prove it. There is nothing special about her."

fammmmedspin
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Sharapova's nothing specsial.......??????? :rolleyes: so why do Martina always talk for Maria in the interview of her ,Maria haters open the threads to speak ill of her ...Oh..! Are they doing odd work ?:cuckoo: and I have been not a Maria fan

Partly because Maria is the unknown quantityfor her - she knows about Lindsay, Williams x 2, Mary, Momo, most Russians and the Belgians. The first five people on that list are probably at best the same as when she last played them and their games are basically the same. At that point, the sensible question is how good is Maria and her record against top players in 2005, or her record against Myskina who plays strategically like Martina without a giant serve, suggests that she is beatable.

Partly because Maria is the big story that has run away ahead of her success on court. The two biggest questions in tennis in 2006 are probably how well Martina and Maria do and Martina is throwing the spotlight onto Maria. There are other stories but they are old ones (Davenport wins, Williams wins) , or about French players, Russians or Belgians - its Martina and Maria who will get the press coverage. She will look silly if Maria starts to do better and she does badly but if Maria stays stalled and Martina vcomes back, the interest will head Martina's way.

Partly because Maria is also shorthand for all her younger big hitting close cousins. Maria is the leader of the pack and Martina is asking the big question how good they all are - not just Maria. Raising the question in itself gives her a psychological advantage unless they can actually prove their worth by beating her.

new-york
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I hate it when people act like the rest of the world find special something they don't, just to be a lil wordy bitchy mowdy.
Nobody said there was something special. She was just playing well.

franny
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I hate it when people act like the rest of the world find special something they don't, just to be a lil wordy bitchy mowdy.
Nobody said there was something special. She was just playing well.

The person who asked the question said there was something special. Martina responded to it.

Kart
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Nice to see Martina putting all that extra media training to good use :worship:.

Shoulderpova
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM
oh well, don't make me hate you :(
you better shut the fuck up :(

cherseles
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Yes, for Hingis, there are.
Maria is younger, preetier and has a pair of much longer legs and stronger serves!!!

GogoGirl
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
All,

LOL @ Miss Swiss. She's back for real - isn't she? That is Ms. Martina to us.

I know what she means as it pertains to her not fearing Maria's game - or anyone's. Martina is aching to play her. LOL! I love it!

Anyway - who is going to start the 2006 'Locker Room Confrontation' thread for the Australian Open? Surely, we can come up w/some real doosies this year. I'll have to think of a good one.

Stamp Paid
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:45 AM
LOL, thats not exactly what she said, but this chick is pretty hilarious. Talking big shit. :p

Stamp Paid
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM
LOL and i hope in Maria's first match, someone tells her Hingis said this so she will mknow the next time they play. So she can show her something special.

Dan23
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Exactly :lol:
People only reading what they want to.....

xin_hui
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:31 AM
wow Martina...sometimes I question whether she really means the words that come out of her mouth and how her not being a native English speaker has anything to do with how she blurts out such comments.

martina's english is VERY good for a non-native speaker. in fact, it's even better than many native speakers:cool:

xan
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Martina looks like she's after publicity as usual.

She knows if she talks about Maria it will make more news than almost anything else.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, i love the bitch!!!!!!! she's gonna get so much shit for saying it, maria is extremely talented. BUTTTTTTTT, i agree with hingis:) and NO it's not because i like serena williams so don't even bring that up.

Rocketta
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:51 AM
That's trashtalk!?!? You gotta be kidding. This is from the player who once asked her opponent 'Should I serve first, or should I break you?' Call me when the REAL trash-talking starts.

no I don't think that's bitch but I think this is...

"Her serve is great, her groundstrokes, but I can't tell until I play her what makes her so exceptional. Or do you know? Can you tell? What's so exceptional about her?"

now that's bitchy and asking a reporter does he know what's special about her also has nothing to do with wanting to play her to find out about her game.

I guess it could be chalked up to a joke that didn't go over well or a 2nd language issue...but we have her past quotes to refute one theory and the fact that she was studying english so she could be a commentater to refute the other....

Oh well just sounds like a typical Marti with a smirk on her face quote....:shrug:

Kunal
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:57 AM
yea you tell em martina....

tell it like it is......
u think maria is a no skill-player, u tell em
u think maria is a closet lesbian, u tell em
u think serena is a woman in a mans body, u tell em
u think lindsay has a grand slam winning phobia, u tell em...

but also, dont get told on.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Martina had a nice comment though about Vives, about not having any glaring weaknesses.

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:18 AM
:lol: Martina is at it again. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully Sharapova doesn't bagel the Swiss Miss if they should meet.:tape:

It sure didn't take Swiss Miss long to call someone out. Martina talks like she's number one again. I wonder what Martina would be saying if Steffi came back to play.... :tape:

LeRoy.
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:24 AM
For a girl who just shoves it right back Nuria took a set off Martina :eek: :awww:

Tati & Dani
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:46 AM
let's see if she still haves a big mouth after maria kicked her ass

omg :eek: i said something positive abouth maria :rolls: first time :p

this brings back memory's , when she had those big battle's with the sisters , i started to like venus and serena , cause off hinges :tape:

shava
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:22 AM
:tape: Martina :tape:
The media sucks anyway!!

Portobello
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Martina looks like she's after publicity as usual.

She knows if she talks about Maria it will make more news than almost anything else.

Agreed.

Dan23
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Martina should know anyway, ive seen her 'expert' analysis of Maria's game on Eurosport coverage a number of times before :p

Barlos
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Of course Martina means that she'll only find out what's special about Maria when they finally meet. Still, great comment, she's set one great rivalry up before they've even played a match together. Great stuff! Expect more of these typical hingis comments, I've really missed them :)

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM
It sure didn't take Swiss Miss long to call someone out. Martina talks like she's number one again. I wonder what Martina would be saying if Steffi came back to play.... :tape:

Probably something along the same lines as what she said about Sharapova? :p

tennisjam
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Love it :devil:

WonderfulLee
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM
wow..martina..really love ur comment!

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM
it sounds worse than i think intended

morningglory
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
taken out of context :) nothing else...

forever_rafter
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:47 AM
LOL Finally somebody has a courage to say it out loud ;) I couldn't agree with Hingis more even though I don't like her attitude, just her brainplay

fifiricci
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I suspect that a lot of people, players, tennis gurus and fans alike, are starting to conclude that maria sharapova might not be "that" special (ie not as special as everyone thought she might be immediately after Wimbledon 2004, however "special" was defined then :rolleyes: ). So I kind of agree with Hingis's comments. But some will inevitably question Hingis's wisdom in being so forthright with her views, now that Sharapova is a fellow player and rival and Hingis is no longer a tennis "commentator" (and quite frankly she sucked at it on Eurosport :o ).

My personal view of Hingis is that she is a revoltingly self centred diva, based on her behaviour at the RG final 1999, which quite frankly left me completely gobsmacked and in a semi permanent state of shock and disbelief, so nothing she says or does will ever surprise me again and I hope her arse gets roundly whooped by Maria and every other decent player on the tour :lol:

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I suspect that a lot of people, players, tennis gurus and fans alike, are starting to conclude that maria sharapova might not be "that" special (ie not as special as everyone thought she might be immediately after Wimbledon 2004, however "special" was defined then :rolleyes: ). So I kind of agree with Hingis's comments. But some will inevitably question Hingis's wisdom in being so forthright with her views, now that Sharapova is a fellow player and rival and Hingis is no longer a tennis "commentator" (and quite frankly she sucked at it on Eurosport :o ).

My personal view of Hingis is that she is a revoltingly self centred diva, based on her behaviour at the RG final 1999, which quite frankly left me completely gobsmacked and in a semi permanent state of shock and disbelief, so nothing she says or does will ever surprise me again and I hope her arse gets roundly whooped by Maria and every other decent player on the tour :lol:

Interesting - so you would have just sat back and did nothing when a completely incompetent umpire had no idea what was going on and was looking for a mark over 1 metre away from where the ball actually landed AND THIS WAS ON CLAY where you can actually see the marks!

Can't blame Martina for actually giving a crap! I think the French crowd had more to answer to than she did in that match!

Martian KC
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:07 AM

You really have the worst taste in players. Go back to not knowing much about tennis.

vicky116_is_back
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM
thats Martina at her commentative best! :)

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Pea, you gotta change your signature - we're 2006 now! :p

Circe
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
she's priceless!! never really cares what she says does she? never liked her much when she was in her prime, but her comments....cheeky to the nth degree, that one.

sfselesfan
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hingis has landed her first b!tchslap and thrown down the gauntlet. She must be feeling her Wheaties in Australia. Martina has never been shy about challenging the current tennis diva. Next it'll be Mary Pierce or Clijsters.

Funny how she ripped Vives for "shoveling" the ball...then lost a set to her.

Well, this certainly makes things more interesting.

SF

JoJoCircus
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Perhaps she should have been trying to find out what is so special about Flavia!

Mafia_Sharapova
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Perhaps she should have been trying to find out what is so special about Flavia!

:lol:

fifiricci
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
You really have the worst taste in players. Go back to not knowing much about tennis.

Aww, its nice you think I have to go BACK to not knowing much about tennis ..................... :lol:

miranda_lou
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
. . . Hingis is that she is a revoltingly self centred diva

Absolutely true and I simply don't understand why people think she is so precious.:rolleyes: The girl is just RUDE and it's accepted by the media and some fans as if it's okay.:mad: I'm mystified. But then, I was raised to be polite. Guess that's old fashion these days.

I hope Maria pulls a "Steffi" on the bitch when they play but I have a feeling it will be more like what happen when Maria played Sesil the first time. Maria was so nervous she almost lost that match.

Anyway, congrats to Flavia.:kiss: :hearts: Now I can watch her in the final rather than that moron, Hingis.

serenafan08
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:33 PM
My thoughts exactly Martina!!! She is just what the tour needed. :yeah:

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Nothing special about winning Wimbledon at 17, becoming the 1st Russian #1 and the highest paid female athlete ever. Nothing special at all.

Get real. Every player in the top-twenty is special.

Even if she feels otherwise, why would Martina act so: a. Stupid as to needlessly incite a likely future opponent. b. Unkind as to needlessly make a disrespectful remark about a fellow player and human being. & c. Needlessly alienate a significant number of tennis fans. Why would she do it? What's the point?

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
My thoughts exactly Martina!!! She is just what the tour needed. :yeah:
Would you admire her candor if her caustic remark was directed at one of your favorite players? Would you say she's just what the tour needs if she said Serena is overweight and out of shape?

Rocketta
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Would you admire her candor if her caustic remark was directed at one of your favorite players? Would you say she's just what the tour needs if she said Serena is overweight and out of shape?

Hell Nooooooo and btw, Martina better never part her lips to say something like that....:armed:

meyerpl
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Hell Nooooooo and btw, Martina better never part her lips to say something like that....:armed:
:lol: Funny. :lol:

For people who feel she was taken out of context: The entire article is posted. The only way you could take her remark out of context and change it's meaning would be if she'd preceded her comment with, "It would be really stupid of me to say......." and that part was left out.

That said, her comment isn't that bad, perhaps just a poor choice of words. Life is more interesting when players actually say what's on their mind, anyway. I still wish Martina all the best.

Marcell
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:56 PM
According to Matt Cronin, the Sharapova camp isn't too happy about the comment.Their only comment is that ''what goes around comes around'. Matt took it to mean that Sharapova will eat her second serve.

tennisrox
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM
*bump*

Guess Marti knew what she was talking about. :devil:

treufreund
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
again it was really taken out of context

Andre@
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:52 AM
According to Matt Cronin, the Sharapova camp isn't too happy about the comment.Their only comment is that ''what goes around comes around'. Matt took it to mean that Sharapova will eat her second serve.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

any comments now?

Almalyk
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Love it - People can say what they like about Martina, but she just spoke at the most important occasion. ON THE COURT

NaF
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Maria couldnt eat Marti's 2nd serve today...
:confused:

anyway, good to see that Marti lives up to her words....

tennisjunky
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM
hingis fans shouldnt get carried away. maria had an off day and will get revenge next time. this wont be a seles vs. hingis type of rivalry, that will NEVER happen.

tennisrox
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:04 AM
hingis fans shouldnt get carried away. maria had an off day and will get revenge next time. this wont be a seles vs. hingis type of rivalry, that will NEVER happen.

No,to have a rivalry you need a rival.
Maria just got owned.It wasn't an off day :rolleyes:

Martian Jeza
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Why upping this old thread ? Admins, close it, thx !

hdfb
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM
this wont be a seles vs. hingis type of rivalry, that will NEVER happen.

Of course. Sharapova can never ever be compared to the great Monica Seles. :)

Kworb
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Sharapova didn't have an off day, she was just unable to deal with Martina's shots. Then in the second set she was desperately trying stuff to break Martina's game but to no avail.

tennisjunky
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Sharapova didn't have an off day, she was just unable to deal with Martina's shots. Then in the second set she was desperately trying stuff to break Martina's game but to no avail.
she did have an off day. she even said she didnt have her usual fighting spirit. it was an off day and martina took advantage.

dinhd82
Feb 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Sharapova did not have an off day. She had her own good rallies and winning shots but just not enough smarts to figure out Martina's game. And besides Martina has played against the likes of Maria's game far too many, Maria however never met another Hingis.

Maria Croft
Feb 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM

No she didn't, she wasn't playing her best today but it wasn't an off day

louisa2k2
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM
lol well i guess Maria didnt eat Martis second serve and the only bread stick was thrown at Maria, if Maria really did have an off day it must have been really bad to lose 3 and 1.

bellascarlett
Feb 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Sharapova did not have an off day. She had her own good rallies and winning shots but just not enough smarts to figure out Martina's game. And besides Martina has played against the likes of Maria's game far too many, Maria however never met another Hingis.

Wow I think I actually agree with you. ;)