PDA

View Full Version : Serena will have a DISSAPOINTING YEAR.

tennisjay
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I just took a look at some of her pictures from her match; she is still heavy and out of shape. I donít know what she was doing during the off season, but it was defiantly now working out in a gym. Venus on the other had looks like she took her off season workout serious sheís toned and looks to be in great shape.

Lita's Ex
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I just took a look at some of her pictures from her match; she is still heavy and out of shape. I donít know what she was doing during the off season, but it was defiantly now working out in a gym. Venus on the other had looks like she took her off season workout serious sheís toned and looks to be in great shape.

Defiantly? Sorry but that usage sounds straight up ghetto. :o

pigam
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I for one think serena looks slimmer than she did a few months back.

-Paul-
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Defiantly? Sorry but that usage sounds straight up ghetto. :o

I thought it was just a typo? :shrug:

"definetely not working out in a gym"

AsGoodAsNew
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Thank heavens it wasn't just me thinking that! I think the latest pics show her a lot slimmer.

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
well... i have no idea right now. if she goes back to training she could definetly win something later in the year but i don't think she will defend her australian open title though.

AsGoodAsNew
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
No one can predict with the Williams sisters, they come alive, then back off, then come alive again. Serena looks no heavier than last year, and once the spark is lit I think she will still be a force to be reckoned with. But until she plays in the first slam of the year, it's just opinion and speculation - which of course is fun!

Bounty Hunter
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
:rolleyes: tennisjay ....Geeze ..... It's an expo ..... I'll talk to you after the Australian Open .... :wavey:

I'm still proud of Serena ... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I have learned never to doubt Miss Serena Williams, because I did not think in a million years that she would have beaten 3 of the world's top 4 to win the Australian Open. With that being said, she needs to take her career more seriously. She showed up at Rome injured, and wasn't even into the match. It looked like she didn't even want to be there. She took like a month off again, then she showed up at Wimbledon with only a weeks' practice. Once again, she was foolish and pig-headed and thought that she could win tennis' biggest tournament out of shape physically and mentally. She took more weeks off during the summer and went to Toronto, played a three-set match with Aloro!, then pulled out because she was injured was again. As soon as the knee got better, she was at the US Open. This time, however, it wasn't the knee that was causing her trouble: It was her big thighs. During that whole tournament, she was screaming when she hit shots, was barely moving, and actually thought that she had a chance against Venus Williams. It looked like she was there to please fans. She did even worse in Beijing, making a fool of herself.

Now she's gonna show up at the Australian Open thinking that she could win it, when in reality, she's just too unfit. Her peak game was based around power, serving, and moving. She barely has any power now because at the Australian Open last year she added a lot of topspin to her shots (now they float). Her movement is pathetic (horrible footwork, can't run for her life), and her serve isn't anywhere near it was in even 2004.

roooobert
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thank heavens it wasn't just me thinking that! I think the latest pics show her a lot slimmer.

I cannot see that. It's frustrating to look at pics from a few years ago, what a body, and muscles. Now she is not even close to the shape of the top girls. sad.

I remeber when she ran away after losing to capriati, looke dlike she wanted to kill every girl who tried to challenge her. Her winner instinct made her practise A LOT. I hope she hasn't lost that instinct.

Dasha_
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
When Rena wants to win some match (or title), she always find a way to do it.
People use to say that she looks heavy and out of shape one year ago, and just remember what happend....
Many of you doubt Serena, and I can't understand why. In her worst season, she won a Grand Slam!!! Who can doubt that?

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
i cant tell from pictures how fit she is but what i did notice was her facial expression, she didnt look interested at all.

i know its only an exhibition but it is serena williams and she never wants to lose

i dont think she'll do too badly at the aussie at least a quarter final

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
People use to say that she looks heavy and out of shape one year ago, and just remember what happend....
Many of you doubt Serena, and I can't understand why. In her worst season, she won a Grand Slam!!! Who can doubt that?

She doesn't ALWAYS find a way to win a match or title. Reasoning being, she always wants to win, but she doesn't have a %1.000 winning percentage.

tennisjay
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
:rolleyes: tennisjay ....Geeze ..... It's an expo ..... I'll talk to you after the Australian Open .... :wavey:

I'm still proud of Serena ... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I donít care if itís and expo or a practice session with Venus, Serena needs to be in better shape on she is going to embarrass herself this year and the expense of her haters.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Serena loses an exhibition match (to a player who only seems to be able to win exhibition titles) and now her season is shot? Come on people, it's the beginning of the year, give her time to get warmed up.

Dasha_
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Serena loses an exhibition match (to a player who only seems to be able to win exhibition titles) and now her season is shot? Come on people, it's the beginning of the year, give her time to get warmed up.

AMEN :worship: :worship: :worship:

azinna
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
....As soon as the knee got better, she was at the US Open. This time, however, it wasn't the knee that was causing her trouble: It was her big thighs.....

Had to laugh. Despite myself. What else can one do when faced with truth so painful?

She's slimmer than last summer. Not yet at her Aussie 2005 form, match-wise and body-wise (and, yes, even then Bud Collins was talking about her thighs). We have to be patient. Be willing to wait and see. Enjoy other players for a while. She'll come back when she can and wants to.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM
As soon as the knee got better, she was at the US Open. This time, however, it wasn't the knee that was causing her trouble: It was her big thighs.
:retard:

During that whole tournament, she was screaming when she hit shots, was barely moving, and actually thought that she had a chance against Venus Williams. It looked like she was there to please fans.

Excuse me, but making the fourth round of a major, coming off injury is nothing to sneeze at.

She did even worse in Beijing, making a fool of herself.

At least she tried. You just want to critisize her.

Now she's gonna show up at the Australian Open thinking that she could win it, when in reality, she's just too unfit. Her peak game was based around power, serving, and moving. She barely has any power now because at the Australian Open last year she added a lot of topspin to her shots (now they float). Her movement is pathetic (horrible footwork, can't run for her life), and her serve isn't anywhere near it was in even 2004.

Is she supposed to enter a major tournament thinking she can't win it? That would be even more retarded. Besides, that's what you haters said about her last year around this time. She's too unfit to win it and she did. :shrug: Did you see this exhibition match? If not, then how do you know what she's doing with her shots? How do you know what her movement looks like or what her serve looks like this year? Yeah, that's what I thought, you just want to put her down.

Bankhead Bounce
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM

:rocker:

darrinbaker00
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Her last match was four months ago. How much more time does she need?

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I donít care if itís and expo or a practice session with Venus, Serena needs to be in better shape on she is going to embarrass herself this year and the expense of her haters.

What does that even mean? :confused:

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Hello everyone, I just finish watching the Dementieva-Serena match. One word on Serena's performance: Disastrous. You can clearly see she is struggling big time there, I can't believe as big a champion as her can serve an equal amount of DFs as Elena who is obviously weak in the second service department. And more importantly, she missed so much and her movement was totally unacceptable, even if I am not the biggest fan of her, I feel really worried for her, because she could be beaten by a Top 50 with ease if she does not get herself together.

Do something Serena! :(

tenn_ace
I'm no Serena fan (if someone still doesn't know), but all these talks about the end of Serena's career/year/whatever after just one loss, which meant absolutely nothing, is just totally annoying. The girl is rusty as she hasn't played in a long time, so give her a break. I bet you will see a different Serena when it really counts, i.e. at AO.

Denise4925
Her last match was four months ago. How much more time does she need?
You answered your own question. Her last match was four months ago. Can she get some match play under her belt and get warmed up? :rolleyes:

tennisjay
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I cannot see that. It's frustrating to look at pics from a few years ago, what a body, and muscles. Now she is not even close to the shape of the top girls. sad.

I remeber when she ran away after losing to capriati, looke dlike she wanted to kill every girl who tried to challenge her. Her winner instinct made her practise A LOT. I hope she hasn't lost that instinct.

Thank you, that exactly what Iím talking about. Serena is still young and have more years ahead of her but sheís not getting any younger either.

Helen Lawson
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm reserving judgment until I see her, but as much as I like Lena D, losing to her in straight sets isn't the best sign for Serena. But Serena can turn things about in one tournament.

I just got the latest Enquirer. They have "Diet Winners" and "Diet Sinners" of the year. Yes, Serena is featured, but not as a winner. They claim she's gained 20 pounds in the last several months, going from 145 to 165. I don't even think Serena was 145, but who knows. We'll have to wait and see how she looks in two weeks.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'm reserving judgment until I see her, but as much as I like Lena D, losing to her in straight sets isn't the best sign for Serena. But Serena can turn things about in one tournament.

I just got the latest Enquirer. They have "Diet Winners" and "Diet Sinners" of the year. Yes, Serena is featured, but not as a winner. They claim she's gained 20 pounds in the last several months, going from 145 to 165. I don't even think Serena was 145, but who knows. We'll have to wait and see how she looks in two weeks.
The Enquirer?? :tape:

Craigy
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Oh can you predict the future :woohoo:

darrinbaker00

Excuse me, but making the fourth round of a major, coming off injury is nothing to sneeze at.

At least she tried. You just want to critisize her.

Is she supposed to enter a major tournament thinking she can't win it? That would be even more retarded. Besides, that's what you haters said about her last year around this time. She's too unfit to win it and she did. :shrug: Did you see this exhibition match? If not, then how do you know what she's doing with her shots? How do you know what her movement looks like or what her serve looks like this year? Yeah, that's what I thought, you just want to put her down.
Yes, this is not an official WTA Tour event, but the quality of competition dictates that you bring your "A" game, especially since Melbourne is right around the corner. I would have to see some video to know for sure, of course, but the scoreline indicates to me that Serena was nowhere near her "A" game. For her sake and the sport's sake, let's hope she can regain her championship form in two weeks.

tennisjay
What does that even mean? :confused:

Iím sorry. Iím at work so Iím typing to fast trying to finish my sentence before someone see what Iím doing.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, this is not an official WTA Tour event, but the quality of competition dictates that you bring your "A" game, especially since Melbourne is right around the corner. I would have to see some video to know for sure, of course, but the scoreline indicates to me that Serena was nowhere near her "A" game. For her sake and the sport's sake, let's hope she can regain her championship form in two weeks.
And, if she doesn't darrin, it's not the end of the world, it's not the end of Serena or the end of tennis. If she doesn't regain her championship form until Wimbledon, that would be okay with me. Of course I want her to win, but if she doesn't she's not a bad person and she certainly doesn't deserve any criticism especially since she holds more grand slam titles than anyone else on tour right now.

Rexman
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Serena said she was 20 lbs overweight at Wimbledon didn't she? So it's very possible that report (that Helen posted) is accurate.

tenn_ace
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
just thought about this: Serena lost to a top 10 player after a long time out of tennis and a knee surgery.

Fran lost to a player ranked #48 with exactly the same score after finishing last year strongly

Somehow I don't see threads that Fran's year will be disspointing :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Serena said she was 20 lbs overweight at Wimbledon didn't she? So it's very possible that report (that Helen posted) is accurate.
Let's see, Wimbledon was in July and now it's January. The Enquirer of all rags came out this week. I doubt the report, especially considering the source, was accurate. The Enquirer, in case you didn't know, reports about aliens landing flying saucers in people's backyards and dog boys. :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
The Enquirer?? :tape:

Yes, Serena has become fodder for the Enquirer. The pictures weren't all that revealing. They clearly took one that made her look buff and then another that made her look fat. Who knows. They're claiming that Janet Jackson has gained 50 pounds in the last year, too.

Helen Lawson
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Let's see, Wimbledon was in July and now it's January. The Enquirer of all rags came out this week. I doubt the report, especially considering the source, was accurate. The Enquirer, in case you didn't know, reports about aliens landing flying saucers in people's backyards and dog boys. :rolleyes:

No, that's the Weekly World News. :p The Enquirer, however, is not above taking really old or unflattering pictures to make something that isn't there. The one pic of Serena might have been three years ago for all we know. And in evening dresses, it's tough to tell.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, Serena has become fodder for the Enquirer. The pictures weren't all that revealing. They clearly took one that made her look buff and then another that made her look fat. Who knows. They're claiming that Janet Jackson has gained 50 pounds in the last year, too.
I saw that on the cover about Janet when I was waiting in line at the grocery store. That made me laugh. :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
No, that's the Weekly World News. :p The Enquirer, however, is not above taking really old or unflattering pictures to make something that isn't there. The one pic of Serena might have been three years ago for all we know. And in evening dresses, it's tough to tell.
:lol: Opps my bad. I get the two confused.

Helen Lawson
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I saw that on the cover about Janet when I was waiting in line at the grocery store. That made me laugh. :lol:

You have to hand it to the Enquirer, they get really embarassing shots, that's half the reason of buying it.

darrinbaker00
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM
And, if she doesn't darrin, it's not the end of the world, it's not the end of Serena or the end of tennis. If she doesn't regain her championship form until Wimbledon, that would be okay with me. Of course I want her to win, but if she doesn't she's not a bad person and she certainly doesn't deserve any criticism especially since she holds more grand slam titles than anyone else on tour right now.
First of all, who said she was a bad person? Secondly, no one is immune from criticism, De. Serena keeps saying that tennis is her top priority, but her results say otherwise. If you're OK with what you see from her right now, that's your business, but as long as she says she expects more from herself, I'm going to expect more from her.

harloo
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Who died and made you a psyhic? One dismal performance does not determine the outcome of an entire year. You have got to be pretty naive and ignorant to assume such a thing. These type of comments don't suprise me anymore because whether you or others like you admit it or not the obsession with Serena is frightening.

She lost a match during an exhibition. Big frickin deal.:lol:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
how come there were no threads saying sharapova will have a disappointing year after her loss to sugiyama in an exhibition, that result to me is worse than losing to dementieva

jj74
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
A disapointing year?? i really doubt it. Serena was far from her best last year and she was able to win the Aus Open, even if she isn't fit at this moment she has all the year to reach the good form. And fighter as she is even an 70% Serena is a contender to win Grand Slams

tennisjay
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
how come there were no threads saying sharapova will have a disappointing year after her loss to sugiyama in an exhibition, that result to me is worse than losing to dementieva

Because most people really donít expect that much from Maria anyway that why, everybody knows Serena can do much better I know she can she just needs to get in better shape. I love the girl to death but even I can see in the condition sheís in she wonít be winning any Grandslam Finals or even make it that far.

josved
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM

yeah, it's only an exhibition.

:) :) :)

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
i don't know if Serena is in shape but her outfit is so horrible. just don't ever wear it again Rena :o

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Is she supposed to enter a major tournament thinking she can't win it? That would be even more retarded. Besides, that's what you haters said about her last year around this time. She's too unfit to win it and she did. :shrug: Did you see this exhibition match? If not, then how do you know what she's doing with her shots? How do you know what her movement looks like or what her serve looks like this year? Yeah, that's what I thought, you just want to put her down.\

Huh??? Serena should KNOW that if she is overweight, she couldn't compete at the top level of women's tennis. And I am NOT hater. Serena is my favourite tennis player, and has been for six years.

The exhibition match SCORE tells me:

1) She doesn't care about exhibitions.
2) She's not fit.
3) She's only there because she wants to make money.

But...

Looking at her on-court demeanor and body, she looks unfit, unconfident, and uninterested.

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM
All I'm saying is that her results during the past year are not anywhere near they should be, and her fitness is a big part of that. I'm just upset that, in my ignorant point of view, she isn't making a big enough effort to get fit physically or mentally, and she isn't trying to improve her strokes or her serve.

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Because most people really donít expect that much from Maria anyway that why, everybody knows Serena can do much better I know she can she just needs to get in better shape. I love the girl to death but even I can see in the condition sheís in she wonít be winning any Grandslam Finals or even make it that far.

Wonderfully said.

faboozadoo15
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
because HK is an exhibition tournament with prize money.
sharapova lost to ai in front of ai's home crowd and then brought out a bunch of handbags. and also, maria came right back out the next time and beat ai 8-2 or something.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM

are you kidding me she looks heavier than a few months back!

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
First of all, who said she was a bad person? Secondly, no one is immune from criticism, De. Serena keeps saying that tennis is her top priority, but her results say otherwise. If you're OK with what you see from her right now, that's your business, but as long as she says she expects more from herself, I'm going to expect more from her.
No one said she was a bad person. I made a statement. Secondly you're correct, no one is immune from criticism, but not everyone deserves it.

And darrin please, even when she was winning you expected more from her. With you regarding Serena, its always something. Stevie Wonder could see that. :p

Bankhead Bounce
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM

I'm a bump up this thread in a few wks when Rena repeat in Oz. :rocker:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Sorry daffodil, you and tennisjay may not be haters and if I bad repped you, I'm sorry. I'll good rep you to make up for it when I can, but I will not give up on Serena because of a bad year or one exhibition match at the beginning of the season. She won a slam last year, Venus hadn't won a slam in four years and Lindsay hasn't won one in five, but no one gave up on them. I won't give up on her and I won't criticise her because she's done more for the sport and with the sport since Steffi Graf in my opinion. If she were to retire tomorrow, she would have nothing to hang her head about. However, I really believe Serena wants to play and we won't know anything until she shakes some of this rust off her.

Oneofakind0490
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
If Serena doesnt shape up then her year will be bad. I think Serena will shape up but I thought she would do that at Australia. Richard or Oracene really need tom also help Serena. Get it into her head that being lazy isnt gonna help you win.

tennisjay
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry daffodil, you and tennisjay may not be haters and if I bad repped you, I'm sorry. I'll good rep you to make up for it when I can, but I will not give up on Serena because of a bad year or one exhibition match at the beginning of the season. She won a slam last year, Venus hadn't won a slam in four years and Lindsay hasn't won one in five, but no one gave up on them. I won't give up on her and I won't criticise her because she's done more for the sport and with the sport since Steffi Graf in my opinion. If she were to retire tomorrow, she would have nothing to hang her head about. However, I really believe Serena wants to play and we won't know anything until she shakes some of this rust off her.

Lord knows Iím not a hater of the WS they can do no wrong in my book, but for me Serena has just really disappointed me with her appearance. Iím so use to seeing the muscular toned body and not this potatoes bag. I what Serena need is somebody to come down hard on her and let her know she needs to work much harder.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
If Serena doesnt shape up then her year will be bad. I think Serena will shape up but I thought she would do that at Australia. Richard or Oracene really need tom also help Serena. Get it into her head that being lazy isnt gonna help you win.
What makes you think she's lazy?

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM

But compared to her past achievements, winning just one tournament, albeit a grand slam, right at the beginning of the year, then doing nothing much of note... I don't think 2005 for Serena had that much to brag about personally.

No one is more annoyed with Serena than herself, and if she somehow manages to transfer that energy into something positive, like training to get in shape and stop looking so dejected on court (remember those videos of the Macdonald's tour last month?), then 2006 will be better than what most people are predicting :yeah:

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
What makes you think she's lazy?

I know you're a big fan on the WS but to be fair I think you should take your rose tinted glasses off. It's evident at the moment she's not putting the same effort into her game as she was circa 2002-2003 when she dominated. She needs to refocus and get her priorities right, and I for one sincerely hope she does

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I know you're a big fan on the WS but to be fair I think you should take your rose tinted glasses off. It's evident at the moment she's not putting the same effort into her game as she was circa 2002-2003 when she dominated. She needs to refocus and get her priorities right, and I for one sincerely hope she does
And, I think you should get some business of your own. Maybe you need to take your rose tinted glasses off about me being WS fan, because you don't know me and you don't know what I'm thinking or how I feel. All you see is what I post here and obviously you don't see that particularly well, since I have said nothing to make it seem as though I can't see that she's not in the same form as she was in 2002-03 when she dominated. I don't know what effort she's putting into her game and neither do you. What I do know is that she was injured for most of 2005. She may not have been able to put in the same effort to train, not because she didn't want to as you seem to suggest.

BTW, since you know her training schedule and her social calendar, could you please enlighten us all to where her priorities are and where her focus is, since you obviously know more than the rest of us.

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
And, I think you should get some business of your own. Maybe you need to take your rose tinted glasses off about me being WS fan, because you don't know me and you don't know what I'm thinking or how I feel. All you see is what I post here and obviously you don't see that particularly well, since I have said nothing to make it seem as though I can't see that she's not in the same form as she was in 2002-03 when she dominated. I don't know what effort she's putting into her game and neither do you. What I do know is that she was injured for most of 2005. She may not have been able to put in the same effort to train, not because she didn't want to as you seem to suggest.

BTW, since you know her training schedule and her social calendar, could you please enlighten us all to where her priorities are and where her focus is, since you obviously know more than the rest of us.

quite the patronising grump, aren't you? Clearly like the sound of your own voice :rolleyes: its up to you if you disbelieve my claim to liking the williams sisters, because I actually do. I just dont make it the top of my list of priorities to try and "out-cheer" everyone else. weren't you the poster who was banned a few months back? :tape: little wonder if you were. And i regret to inform you I misplaced her personal training schedule, so I can't reproduce it for you, you'll just have to go without :wavey: but then actually, since you are her biggest fan, shouldn't you know all her whereabouts anyway? :shrug:

and as for you telling me to get some business of my own :lol: Incase you forgot this isn't your personal message board, its for anyone who wants to comment on any of the different threads. I'm certainly not gonna start taking orders from someone who feels so self-important and pig-headed regarding their own thoughts, everyone has their own opinions and i think you should start appreciating that

Sanneriet
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I don't know what her year will turn out like. It is too soon to say. However, her results in Australia were a follow up to a relatively strong end to 2004. I know she lost in the Championships. But, she played the Championships and a few tournaments before then that she was not able to play at the end of 2005. So she was coming off more match play, which I think helped her gut out her win there. That will not be the case for her this year.

Billy Moonshine
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
What dissapoints me is she has the potential to be the dominant number one. She could be discussed in the greatest ever debates with Graf, Seles, Evert, Lenglen, Court, Navratilova etc however she does not commit herself to tennis 100% anymore. Imagine if all that time spent on fashion, TV shows and parties had been spent training and improving her tennis? That's what the greats do, isn't it? They give everything to tennis, nothing else matters.And if Serena continues in this form, she can always claim to have one of the greatest careers but she will not be spoken about by objective fans in the same breath as those aforementioned Legends.
Sure, I understand she has been injured but many players rededicate themselves after injury, come back and win when they are ready.
What puzzles me is that she is playing at all. Because the fact that she is on the court and not at home rehabilitating tells me she believes she is ready to do her job and be a professional player.
Is it possible that her peak is gone and she has lost her magic or is she going to comeback and rule again? I await with baited breath!

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
quite the patronising grump, aren't you? Clearly like the sound of your own voice :rolleyes: its up to you if you disbelieve my claim to liking the williams sisters, because I actually do. I just dont make it the top of my list of priorities to try and "out-cheer" everyone else. weren't you the poster who was banned a few months back? :tape: little wonder if you were. And i regret to inform you I misplaced her personal training schedule, so I can't reproduce it for you, you'll just have to go without :wavey: but then actually, since you are her biggest fan, shouldn't you know all her whereabouts anyway? :shrug:
Hey you're the one who singled out my question to another poster. :shrug: I guess you thought your post was so clever, I wouldn't or couldn't respond. But, you were wrong about that too. And, uhmm I don't hear the sound of my voice when I'm posting, do you? :scared:

I never commented oh whether you liked the WS or not. :confused: What are you talking about?

Uh, yes I was suspended in April of 2005. But, you're saying that to say what? :confused:

So, since you don't have her training schedule or her social calendar, you're just speculating as what her priorities are, and you only know as much as the rest of us, rose tinted glasses and all. :wavey:

pisces
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM
WOW,IS Serena the only player?Boy "Iam tired of "Serena Venus ,this and that!Just plain negativly! there player"s that to fat to slim,on on.Please.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
and as for you telling me to get some business of my own :lol: Incase you forgot this isn't your personal message board, its for anyone who wants to comment on any of the different threads. I'm certainly not gonna start taking orders from someone who feels so self-important and pig-headed regarding their own thoughts, everyone has their own opinions and i think you should start appreciating that
In other words, :rolleyes: don't worry about whether I have on rose or purple tinted glasses. If you have an opinon or want to answer a question, do so. It is unnecessary try to invalidate by opinion by saying that as a WS fan I can't be objective. Maybe you should start practicing what you preach by appreciating that everyone has their own opinions.

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Hey you're the one who singled out my question to another poster. :shrug: I guess you thought your post was so clever, I wouldn't or couldn't respond. But, you were wrong about that too. And, uhmm I don't hear the sound of my voice when I'm posting, do you? :scared:

I never commented oh whether you liked the WS or not. :confused: What are you talking about?

Uh, yes I was suspended in April of 2005. But, you're saying that to say what? :confused:

So, since you don't have her training schedule or her social calendar, you're just speculating as what her priorities are, and you only know as much as the rest of us, rose tinted glasses and all. :wavey:

If you don't want other people to read or respond to a message you put up for public display then don't post it! I'm not an arrogant person who thinks my posts are clever, I don't deliberately loiter on this board to try and pick at people for the sake of it.

if you have seen serena lately you will have noticed she's not in her best shape or playing with confidence or her head held high. I've seen videos and live feeds of her play at exhibition matches in the close season and i have deduced from watching her on court behaviour and demeanour and her physical shape that she might not have had training at the top of her list. That's all. Who says there's anything wrong with speculating? It's an opinion and message boards are for voicing your opinions and discuss.

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
In other words, :rolleyes: don't worry about whether I have on rose or purple tinted glasses. If you have an opinon or want to answer a question, do so. It is unnecessary try to invalidate by opinion by saying that as a WS fan I can't be objective. Maybe you should start practicing what you preach by appreciating that everyone has their own opinions.

o.k you going on about rose/purple tinted glasses is slightly tedious now, its a figure of speech i used to make a point, if you didnt like the point i made then fair enough! How have I invalidated your opinion? O.k, i may have mistaken your objectivity as the only posts I ever see you post are in williams sisters threads yet you always adopt the same stance, you hate any one criticising the sisters and argue to the grim death of the situation. It wasn't my intention to blow off your opinion. I don't even think i criticised serena that bad, yet you took it so personally! I just said maybe she's not taking her training seriously, an opinion a lot of other posters have (sorry to bring anyone else on the board into this! haha), I even think i ended my post or post previous to the one where i quoted you positively.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM
If you don't want other people to read or respond to a message you put up for public display then don't post it! I'm not an arrogant person who thinks my posts are clever, I don't deliberately loiter on this board to try and pick at people for the sake of it.

if you have seen serena lately you will have noticed she's not in her best shape or playing with confidence or her head held high. I've seen videos and live feeds of her play at exhibition matches in the close season and i have deduced from watching her on court behaviour and demeanour and her physical shape that she might not have had training at the top of her list. That's all. Who says there's anything wrong with speculating? It's an opinion and message boards are for voicing your opinions and discuss.
What are you talking about? I never said you couldn't respond.

I have also seen videos of exhibition matches. The key word here is "exhibition". Her physical shape looks okay to me. A whole lot better than this summer at Wimby. It takes time for some women to lose weight. It doesn't happen over night and I should hope she doesn't take it off to quickly. I can't tell what her on court behavior or demeanor is from those videos. On the McDonalds tour, she looked like she was enjoying herself. I'm not sure I understand how you can speculate about her training when she hasn't really played a real match since the US Open.

There's nothing wrong with speculation or guessing, but don't pass it off as fact when you know it's not.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
As disappointing as her loss was, Serena's season wasn't in that one game. It's up to Serena to get all the variables together and she'll decide what that season will look like. As long as she continues to lace up, there is a reason for her going on court, she just has to bring that reason back up to the levels where it truly stands out again. I believe she can and will.

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
o.k you going on about rose/purple tinted glasses is slightly tedious now, its a figure of speech i used to make a point Really :rolleyes:
, if you didnt like the point i made then fair enough! How have I invalidated your opinion? O.k, i may have mistaken your objectivity as the only posts I ever see you post are in williams sisters threads yet you always adopt the same stance, you hate any one criticising the sisters and argue to the grim death of the situation.
I don't always do anything and I doubt you've read every single post I've ever written, but isn't that my perogative? Don't I have a right to my opinion? Just because its in defense of the WS doesn't mean it's any less valid than any criticism you or anyone else may have. You're trying to censor me and you're doing the very same thing you're complaining of about me.
It wasn't my intention to blow off your opinion. I don't even think i criticised serena that bad, yet you took it so personally! I just said maybe she's not taking her training seriously, an opinion a lot of other posters have (sorry to bring anyone else on the board into this! haha), I even think i ended my post or post previous to the one where i quoted you positively.
How do you know how I took it? Again, you made it personal when you said I should remove my so-called rose-tinted glasses. That's what I took offense to. Nothing else you said was personal to me. Lastly, I think you think I took it personally because I didn't accept your speculation as fact. :lol:

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Really :rolleyes:

I don't always do anything and I doubt you've read every single post I've ever written, but isn't that my perogative? Don't I have a right to my opinion? Just because its in defense of the WS doesn't mean it's any less valid than any criticism you or anyone else may have. You're trying to censor me and you're doing the very same thing you're complaining of about me.

How do you know how I took it? Again, you made it personal when you said I should remove my so-called rose-tinted glasses. That's what I took offense to. Nothing else you said was personal to me. Lastly, I think you think I took it personally because I didn't accept your speculation as fact. :lol:

For someone who doesn't like me making presumptions about how you feel/think, you do what you're complaining of about me! :rolleyes: bit of a vicious cycle really isn't it ;)
I haven't questioned the validity of your statement, I just think you're a bit closed minded regarding serena's possible circumstances. I don't get how i'm meant to be trying to censor you, I haven't told you to shut up have I? I've let you say what you want. Just like I'm saying what I want. Sorry you took whatever I've said personally, like i said it was a figure of speech, you strike me as a very defensive person. Enjoy the rest of your evening, I'm gonna go for a bath :bigwave:

Orion
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe you need to take your rose tinted glasses off about me being WS fan, because you don't know me and you don't know what I'm thinking or how I feel. All you see is what I post here and obviously you don't see that particularly well, since I have said nothing to make it seem as though I can't see that she's not in the same form as she was in 2002-03 when she dominated. I don't know what effort she's putting into her game and neither do you. What I do know is that she was injured for most of 2005. She may not have been able to put in the same effort to train, not because she didn't want to as you seem to suggest.

I'm sorry if this seems intruding, but your signature sure indicates that you believe she is capable of dominating as she did before. Defending the throne? That means you believe she can win the Aussie Open, correct? Dominating at slams is what she did in 2002-2003.

And I do have to take issue with the explanation that she was injured for so much of 2005. She danced at the ESPY awards (albeit, the dance she and Destiny's Child performed wasn't Baryshnikov, but it's still dancing) during a week that she was supposed to be recovering from an ankle (or was it a knee?) injury. Clearly that affected her play, but enough is enough. If you are injured, or unfit to play, you don't come back. For a player who has so long stated she is the best active player, she sure doesn't seem to know the principle of recovering from injuries. Entering an exhibition when she's not fit is, in my opinion, a means of either a.) gauging her ability to play against the top players, or b.) making an easy paycheck without having to try at all.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the articles Williams fans have been posting for the past year about Serena's efforts in working on her fashion line, and furthering her acting career don't seem to indicate (on any level at all) that she is training nearly as hard as any other player, injured or no. When Clijsters was injured, she did exercises that would keep the rest of her body in shape. When Davenport was out with her shoulder injury, she stayed working on her lower body, stamina, and speed. Serena hasn't had full body injuries that she's talked about, so you'd think she could keep upper body in shape despite the knee and ankle injuries. But every event she has shown up for has demonstrated otherwise.

She looked like she was improving, but unless things take a dramatic turn, she is just a shadow of the champion she used to be.

Before you take a shot at this, I'll remind you, I didn't write Venus out on fast courts ever. I didn't write Serena off at last years Aussie. I've remained hopeful for Lindsay and Kim and Amelie for ages, and all of them have demonstrated signs of life. I don't hate the Williams sisters, in fact, they are among the players I enjoy watching (when they aren't playing each other), but I find it sad that a former candidate for top 10 players of all time can't find it in herself to put any effort into a game that made her an international celebrity. I hope, for her sake and for tennis' sake, that the clay courts will see her ready to return to the top 10, but nothing in the past 10 months have indicated that she is prepared to make a serious assault on the top 20 players (Bovina and Likhovtseva since the Aussie? Not the Serena caliber at all.) For someone who has been renowned for coming back from injury better than 99% of the tour, she didn't perform last season.

Here's to a better season for Serena, and signs of life from her training regimen.

Brooks.
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:24 PM
weren't you people saying the same shit about Venus a year ago..... :lol: :o :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry if this seems intruding, but your signature sure indicates that you believe she is capable of dominating as she did before. Defending the throne? That means you believe she can win the Aussie Open, correct? Dominating at slams is what she did in 2002-2003.

I will only comment on what you addressed to me personally and that is my signature. I certainly believe she is capable of dominating as she did before. I don't when she will do this and yes it is possible that she could dominate this year. One exhibition match is not indicative of what her season will be like this year. Defending the throne, absofuckinglutely. Yes, I believe anything is possible, and yes I believe she can win the Aussie Open. Just as some believe Martina Hingis is going to come back and take the tour by storm, that Maria Sharapova will win another slam, that Lindsay will win another slam. However, what does her dominating the slams in 2002-03 have to do with her winning Oz this year? What did it have to do with her winning Oz last year? I don't get the correlation or what your point is.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :shrug: It doesn't mean it's fact.

andrewC
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I will only comment on what you addressed to me personally and that is my signature.

So I'm the only one you flame for intruding on a different member's posts directed to you then :rolleyes: nice.

Also nice is that you badrepped me and called me a troll for giving my opinion and giving as good as i was getting from you. so here's a bad rep comin right back at ya babe :lick: ;)

Simplicity
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Denise! :rolleyes: Don't waist your time on this fool! TRust me he is a hater! It's funny how several people say Serena is obese..

hmm.. Let's see... Which body would you prefer to have

Anorexic
http://www.ooops.pl/blog/images/anorexic.jpg

Obese
http://www.nephite.com/images/2003/obese_men.jpg

Serena Williams
http://www.tennisfreunde-much.de/Impressionen/Tennisspieler-Bilder/Williams-Serena/2004_06.jpg

I am not biased, but I take the body of Serena's.

darrinbaker00
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Serena Williams
http://www.tennisfreunde-much.de/Impressionen/Tennisspieler-Bilder/Williams-Serena/2004_06.jpg

Unfortunately, my friend, that photo was taken 19 months ago. Serena looks nothing like that now.

Simplicity
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:36 PM
It is evident that she is NOT obese, nor is she over wieght

Overweight (Not even it's worst form)
http://phillips.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/727reneezellweger_overweight.jpg

Serena Williams (At a recent premiere)
http://www.entertainment-news.org/images/thumbnails/serena-williams-to-make-cosmetic-line.jpg

If you still believe she's over weight or obese, you are definitely mentally challenged :kiss: :tape:

Simplicity
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, my friend, that photo was taken 19 months ago. Serena looks nothing like that now.

Indeed my friend :) But I think we both agree that he figure hasn't changed that much. It appears that she gained about 15 pounds at Wimbledon 05' since the Australian Open, and it now seems that she has lost about 5. I also think that it is absolutely ridiculous for people to be referring to her as overweight and or obese. This is the exact reason why young girls are bowing their heads and regurgitating over toilets just so that they won't be "overweight/obese" If an individual weighs about 150 pounds at 5'9, that is no where close to obese nor overweight :kiss: That's quite healthy in my opinion! :kiss:

le bon vivant
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Serena Williams

Damn that was so hot :drool:

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM
haters suck.

she'll make you eat your words when it's really important, not some exhibition match...

Hingie
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM
From a Hingis fan -

I wish i loved Serena and that she was my favourite and her game just did it for me. Why you ask?

Because since i've followed women's tennis, i've not known anyone to compete like her, when she's 'on' she's untouchable - i don't care who she's playing.

I haven't seen any recent photos of her, but i think she is a contender for any Slam she enters, regardless of physical form (she can't be that out of shape surely)!

Dasha_
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Because since i've followed women's tennis, i've not known anyone to compete like her, when she's 'on' she's untouchable - i don't care who she's playing.!

i think she is a contender for any Slam she enters, regardless of physical form (she can't be that out of shape surely)!

Hingie, you are an :angel:.

I just love your post!!! :wavey:

franny
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Listen, I think people really need to get off Serena's back. She lost an exhibition match and all of a sudden she is going to have a very bad year. I agree that she needs to work harder on her tennis, but there is no reason why Serena Williams can't come out of nowhere and win a slam. We saw her do it last year. As far as I know, Serena can play herself into shape. She's never needed match play before, and she's too talented not to be considered one of the favorites at any tournament. Just give her freaking time and stop making a bijillion threads on how fat and out of shape she is and how she's gonna have a miserable year. Gosh, I must have seen like 40 threads on how she will lose early at the Aussie Open and how she will need a wake up call and how she will have a horrible year.

DevilishAttitude
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
You can't say that just yet.

But Serena really needs to get into shape. She looks like she's done noting during her time off. It's disappointing for everyone :mad:

vwfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Looking at her on-court demeanor and body, she looks unfit, unconfident, and uninterested. I think that Serena is still a work in progress on her fitness, but I am worried about her attitude on the court for the past year.

Something seems to be bothering her and it is affecting her on the court. The fire is gone, except in bursts of angry and it has gotten progressively worse through the course of last year. There was no spark during the McDonald's tour and none during the HK match.

Still, every great player goes through a bad patch and the truly great ones take the hits, regroup, and prevail. Once the attitude is there, everything else will follow. Count on it.