Davenport defeats Vaidisova 6-2 6-2

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4580884.stm

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Not a very nice title to this article:

"Serena returns with heavy defeat"

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Nicole just doesn't have the power game yet. She should have tried to make this a closer match though. Confidence can come from taking the number one player in the world to three sets in an exhibition. I'm sure like Dementieva, Lindsay is taking this tourni very seriously. She still has a couple of chances to get some confidence for the Australian Open. Lots of people (including I) expect a lot of things from her this year.
Will she come through at the first slam of the year?

mr_burns
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
LINDSAY, I love 2006

Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
:speakles: Nicole! :( bad loss!

LindsayRulez
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
great start from Lindsay, and some encouraging comments for her fans after the match. I hope she plays this well in her coming matches. good job Lindsay! ;)

Cp6uja
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
When Nicole beat Lindsay that is news, but when Lindsay defeat Nicole that is not news - so why discuss?

Bubba08
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM
You should put the score in the thread's title. :D

Meesh
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Congrats Lindsay!

josved
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Good start Lindsay!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Nicole just doesn't have the power game yet. She should have tried to make this a closer match though. Confidence can come from taking the number one player in the world to three sets in an exhibition. I'm sure like Dementieva, Lindsay is taking this tourni very seriously. She still has a couple of chances to get some confidence for the Australian Open. Lots of people (including I) expect a lot of things from her this year.
Will she come through at the first slam of the year?

I doubt this has anything to do with power. In fact if Nicole has something it's power and serve. The problem is that when you play against Lindsay you need not only power but also variety and consistency otherwise you're lost- hense the scoreline. Lindsay eats the youngsters "alive" because they have nothing to come against her YET.

But as I always say, every match- even the toughest defeat, against the very top players is a great experience. Nicole will only grow better after this.

tenn_ace
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM
well done Linds beating little brat :p

Elldee
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Win the doubles, ladies ;)

charmedRic
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
It was probably a learning experience for Nicole, she'll do much better next time.

xXSarajevoXx
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Lindsay :yeah:

©@®eLess
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
looks Lindsay will stay at top this year! I just don't see anyone apart from Kim as a threat. But would be nice to see Kim no.1 again!

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I doubt this has anything to do with power. In fact if Nicole has something it's power and serve. The problem is that when you play against Lindsay you need not only power but also variety and consistency otherwise you're lost- hense the scoreline. Lindsay eats the youngsters "alive" because they have nothing to come against her YET.

But as I always say, every match- even the toughest defeat, against the very top players is a great experience. Nicole will only grow better after this.

I disagree. Nicole serve is definately top 15 in the world but it's a bit predictable at this time. Nicole does have some variety compared to the other youngsters on tour. She's consistent and moves around the baseline pretty good but she really doesn't have a shot she can go to to finish off a rally yet. Against Lindsay an opponent definately needs that shot. It's honestly the only reason that Petrova has never beaten Lindsay. She just doesn't have the shots to really open up the court. Nicole was just overpowered. Considering Nicole lost to the still number one Lindsay Davenport at the Australian Open 6-2, 6-4 last year, this is not the best sign for Nicole. Either Lindsay is movin better or Nicole wasn't prepared for this match as she thought she was.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Nice win Lindsay :D

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I disagree. Nicole serve is definately top 15 in the world but it's a bit predictable at this time. Nicole does have some variety compared to the other youngsters on tour. She's consistent and moves around the baseline pretty good but she really doesn't have a shot she can go to to finish off a rally yet. Against Lindsay an opponent definately needs that shot. It's honestly the only reason that Petrova has never beaten Lindsay. She just doesn't have the shots to really open up the court. Nicole was just overpowered. Considering Nicole lost to the still number one Lindsay Davenport at the Australian Open 6-2, 6-4 last year, this is not the best sign for Nicole. Either Lindsay is movin better or Nicole wasn't prepared for this match as she thought she was.

I am sorry but I don't agree. I may like Nocole a lot but it doesn't mean I will fool myself. Her variety is .. hm, almost inexistent. Ana and Misa have a lot more of this than Nicole. Her consistency is not there yet (even though it's MUCH better than the variety aspect), I am once again sorry.

In fact she has the shot to open up the court, first the serve (Lindsay btw is one of the best returners outthere) and then the forehand. Her game is based on this after all. The forehand is a great wepon but with only a serve and a forehand there's no way someone can survive Lindsay when she's on form. And I persist, Nicole can't be trully overpowered by Lindsay. She can be overrun ( :) ) by Lindsay's groundies but NOT overpowered.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Congrats Linsay!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Vut
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
:eek: scoreline

Harju.
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Aww Nicole :sad: but great stuff from Lindsay :worship:

mike/topgun
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
6/2,6/2 is a quite a lopsided score, but it was not as easy as it'd seem - Lindsay just got there right from the start and ended it up aswell.
IMHO Nicole is not as talented as Masha, and those groundies are too accurate, or too predictable to surprise n#1 in the world. Her serve though is consistant, but Davenports' returns are very agressive, and she's not waiting like Mauresmo she's steping in and taking it early, to take advantage on her shots and pace.
And if Lindsay is playing well, enjoying the game she's almost unstoppable:p
Davenport's in good form may win in HK and hopefully when stays healthy make some good results even in Melbourne.;)

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
great scoreline!

dav abu
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Well done Lindsay, start as you mean to go on:) LindsayRulez what were the encouraging comments that Lindsay made after the match? Given time Nicole will challenge at the very top.

nouf
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
poor nicole! :-/

snif!

hqs of nicole during match
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1924/20060104t160327z01hkg69d2rtrid.th.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t160327z01hkg69d2rtrid.jpg) http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/6326/20060104t155648z01hkg64drtrids.th.jpg (http://img331.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t155648z01hkg64drtrids.jpg) http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/8575/37fz1.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=37fz1.jpg) http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5803/20060104t154618z01hkg62d2rtrid.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t154618z01hkg62d2rtrid.jpg)

10nisfanofruz
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM
IMHO Nicole is not as talented as Masha, and those groundies are too accurate, or too predictable to surprise n#1 in the world. Her serve though is consistant, but Davenports' returns are very agressive, and she's not waiting like Mauresmo she's steping in and taking it early, to take advantage on her shots and pace.
And if Lindsay is playing well, enjoying the game she's almost unstoppable:p

I agree with you. I watched the match and I feel like Nicole still has something to improve. Her serve is good but not consistent. However, I am not much disappointed in her. She was beaten by the world#1 after all. :shrug:

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM

But as I always say, every match- even the toughest defeat, against the very top players is a great experience. Nicole will only grow better after this.I was about to say the same thing. Lindz really knows how to put the younguns in their place. No hype, just high quality tennis. :lol:

starr
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM

I agree Nicole has a lot of power, but with Lindsay, you have to move her around the court, and sometimes that is very difficult to do. I've watched Nicole play, but I don't have a clear memory on how well she moves. I have the impression that movement is a weakness for her.

creep
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I don't know, maybe it's me. That Vaidisova, I seen her play, she's a tube!

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Nicole played 20% of her potential :yawn:
let's see what she can do at Sydney, the real WTA tournament.

creep
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Nicole played 20% of her potential :yawn:
let's see what she can do at Sydney, the real WTA tournament.

She's lucky Lindsay was only playing at 5% of hers.

mike/topgun
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
It wasn't a good match but they played some high class tennis at some point...
Lindsay made less UE and moved serve around - but played max 1/3 of her potential (and Nicole bout 1/2 of her potential)...
It's a start of the season so they all wll be plaing better soon:p

fnuf7
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Well done Lindsay! I hadn't even realised the Hong Kong thing had started all ready! :lol:

SelesFan70
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
:banana:

Wsisters45
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Lindsay :worship:

Now Lindsay and Nicole will play doubles :hearts:

*Jool*
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
:rocker2:

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
She's lucky Lindsay was only playing at 5% of hers.

:ras:

creep
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
:ras:

:lol:

gmak
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
lindsay :eek: :D :yeah: i didn't expect it to be so easy

nicole :hug: :kiss: lindsay was just too good today

eugreene2
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I've been saying this for about 3 months - since Nicole went on that so called tear, winning those lower tier events -- SHE IS OVER-RATED!

All thes Wertheims (who I like actually) and Tracy Austins of the world who are predicting a top 10 year, sit it down. Nicole would need some major injuries to take place before she becomes top 10.

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've been saying this for about 3 months - since Nicole went on that so called tear, winning those lower tier events -- SHE IS OVER-RATED!

All thes Wertheims (who I like actually) and Tracy Austins of the world who are predicting a top 10 year, sit it down. Nicole would need some major injuries to take place before she becomes top 10.

Here it is, as usual- one loss and the "over-rated" comes arround. :rolleyes: Overrated towards WHAT?

Kimdsay
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM
:yeah: :cool:

cometz9
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Lindsay :D still in top form, Nicole :sad: GOod Luck in Sydney

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Nikki :help:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6447/retwavey8sa3kt.gif

Lindsayfan32
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
When Nicole beat Lindsay that is news, but when Lindsay defeat Nicole that is not news - so why discuss?

Well the score line for starters. That's darn impressive in its self. There are some of us who are great fans of Lindsay's who like to talk about all her scores and I for one thought it would be closer being Lindsay first match since early November and the improvement in Nicole's game.

gsm
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17735379-23216,00.html

Serena shock hits Open plans
From Talek Harris in Hong Kong
January 5, 2006

SERENA Williams has crashed to a heavy defeat less than two weeks before she opens her Australian Open title defence.

Williams' Melbourne preparations were dealt a heavy blow when she lost 6-3 6-1 to Russia's Elena Dementieva in the Champions Challenge here overnight.

The seven-time grand slam winner, who had not played since an embarrassing first-round defeat at the China Open in September, was broken in the third game before capitulating in less than an hour.

It was the first time Williams, 24, had been beaten by Russia's world No.8 in five meetings, and she will need a massive improvement if she is to defend her Australian crown.

"I've never beaten her before so when I went on court I was trying to play my game, be aggressive and just focus on my serve," said Dementieva.

"When you play against such a good player as her you really want to play your best game, otherwise you're going to lose.

"She's a great fighter and when you play against her you really want to play till the end and be focused on each point. You never know what she's going to do next."

World No.1 Lindsay Davenport cruised to a 6-2 6-2 win over Nicole Vaidisova.

The vastly experienced Davenport made a confident start to her 2006 campaign at the eight-player invitational event, breaking the 16-year-old Czech in the third and seventh games before serving out the first set.

Davenport, 29, produced a carbon-copy second set against the 15th-ranked Vaidisova, breaking for 2-1 and 5-2 before serving out the match to love.

She will play the winner of today's match between Wimbledon champion Venus Williams and India sensation Sania Mirza in tomorrow's semi-finals.

"That's a pretty good way to start off the year," said Davenport. "I felt I was hitting the ball well and got used to playing points pretty quickly.

"Of course there's always stuff you can do better but I'm ecstatic I could play such a good match against such a good opponent."

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I do think Vaidisova is overrated...she only won tier III's in her streak. Has she even beat a top 10 player yet? Lindsay beating her 2 and 2 sorta shows where she's at. Even Petrova beat her and some think that Nadia being in the top 10 is flukish.

Carmen Mairena
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Exos, Sexos, Exos... :rolleyes:

Go Lindsay! Win the Australian Open! :bowdown:

Nicole :retard:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I do think Vaidisova is overrated...she only won tier III's in her streak. Has she even beat a top 10 player yet? Lindsay beating her 2 and 2 sorta shows where she's at. Even Petrova beat her and some think that Nadia being in the top 10 is flukish.

Nikki def. Nastya Myskina @ Charleston.

<!Society!>
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
now please for gods sakes lindsay go into the australian knowing your wta time is numbered and win us a couple of grandslams!!!

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM
oh this is great. Nicole can't manage to win exhibition match and some people think she is overrated :rolleyes:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
:banana:

Venus next, ugh.

nouf
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
video of this match soon! :-)

Andrew..
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Considering Myskina's form at the time, that doesn't say much.

Andrew..
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM
oh this is great. Nicole can't manage to win exhibition match and some people think she is overrated :rolleyes:
Well, she is. This just adds more evidence to the claim.

Brooks.
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Well, she is. This just adds more evidence to the claim.

:rolleyes:

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM

hello Nicole beats Petrova when she became top ten :o

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Considering Myskina's form at the time, that doesn't say much.

excuses are everywhere for the haters :rolleyes:

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:14 PM

nastya wasn't even playing like a top 100 player, which explains her 1r loss to sanchez lorenzo at the FO :retard:

Simplicity
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Congrats Linds. Sorry Nikki.

Andrew..
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:18 PM
excuses are everywhere for the haters :rolleyes:
She also behaves like a 6 year old on court, which is very helpful when it comes to winning tight matches.

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
nastya wasn't even playing like a top 100 player, which explains her 1r loss to sanchez lorenzo at the FO :retard:

hey he just wanna prove someone saying Nicole hasn't beat top tenners yet wrong. Myskina was top ten at the time and her lost is the fact. end of discussion :wavey:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM

So, that aint Nikki's problem. :shrug:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:49 PM
She also behaves like a 6 year old on court, which is very helpful when it comes to winning tight matches.

Yet she also has the best winning % of 3 set matches on the WTA tour, winning 16/18.

Not bad for a 6 year old. :D

Andrew..
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Yet she also has the best winning % of 3 set matches on the WTA tour, winning 16/18.

Not bad for a 6 year old. :D
Most of her three set wins come over scrubs, how impressive.

I've always enjoyed this match, which displayed Nicole's poise and maturity:

N. Petrova def. N. Vaidisova 7-6 7-5.

Her record against top players is horrible.

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
ok i get it. a win doesn't count, only a loss is matter :o
maybe you shouldn't watch tennis, oh wait, i mean you shouldn't watch sports :lol:

Zauber
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Looks like I shall have a lot fun cheering for Nicole Vaidisova while she reaches top five.
I hope all the detractors will then acknowledge that she has accomplished something which they thought she could not.

Irish
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Way to go Lindsay!! :D :D

Nicole :sad:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I downloaded this match and Lindsay was playing great. More winners than unforced errors, only going for a winner when she had an opening, etc. She had a few too many double faults, but had a lot of aces as well.

Nicole is not ready for the top 10 yet. She will be in a year or two though if she can learn how to construct a point. She's gotten better at that, but even a lot of her winners just looked really reckless. She was going right for the line when she only needed to hit about six inches-1 foot inside of it. No plan B either when Lindsay was just too solid. Her attitude looked much better too. She got pissed, but she wasn't carrying on like at the US Open.

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
that sounds good about Lindsay, could anyone please post the stats? Nicole will be a serious player, not just yet but soon enough. Keep up your support Zauber you will have a lot to cheer.

Rexman
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
If beating Nastya in the Spring is a symbol of greatness, I'm awaiting the hype for Schruff, Asagoe, Vinci and Sanchez-Lorenzo.

dav abu
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM
ah here no one is saying that she is great but I honestly believe that she has great potential. Potentiality is not actuality but I'd be surprised if this girl goes no where.

VRee_Willario
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM

But she is very young remember. ;)

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
i don't think Nicole fans care about Nic beating Myskina that much. so stop whining about how crap Myskina was at that moment if you are her real fan :rolleyes: