Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
:worship: Lena loves HK!

azmad_88
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
GOod start to the year Elena!!!!

skanky~skanketta
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM
lena played brilliantly!serve has improved variety wise but still, she hit at least one DF in each of her service game. and some of he BH winners were just :eek:

Andy.
Thats a poor performence Serena. She should take a long break and only come back when she is 100% ready and fit, this is not Serena out there.

jonny84
:eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
nice start to yr Lena ;) :banana: :D :)

switz
I'm just impressed Serena actually played.

Elena is the ultimate exhibition player though because she there's nothing to lose, whereas Serena's best is only brought out by the toughest conditions.

Still it's a bit of worry considering she isn't playing another tournament before AO

azmad_88
Thats a poor performence Serena. She should take a long break and only come back when she is 100% ready and fit, this is not Serena out there.

that will take ever..i think she needs some tournament warm ups as well..

Dexter
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:58 AM
:woohoo:

RussiansFan
Well done Lena! Great way to start the new season!

SvetaPleaseWin.
what is going on with serena :confused:

iine:
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
great job, elena! :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
Lena D :banana:

_LuCaS_
I was suprised yesterday with so many delusional Serena fans. Serena is nowhere her top form and the scoreline shows it.
Congrats to Lena though, should be a morale booster.

BoucharDRules
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow.......Elena usually has more trouble disposing of low-ranked qualifiers.

Finally.....Serena has been put in her place! :devil:

udachi Elena
Poor performance or not by serena, GOOD JOB LENA!! Way to start off 2006. Unfortunately due to HK sucking at webcams i missed it :(.

GoDominique
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Babygurl :sad:

Sharapova's_Boy
Great win Elena. :D

Venus+Serena#1fan
Well I guess one of my scenarios that I thought of yesterday ended up playing out. For whatever reason, Serena is still NOT playing anywhere near to a solid form or even last year's AO.
Maybe fitness, injury, just lazyness? lack of interest in the exho? who knows....but 1df in each service game and hardly any winners is NOT the game a ready Serena plays.

Shame, i hope it changes by the time the AO comes around, and she will still get to play more matches here.....but for the time being I will know not to expect much from Rena :( this is still the 2005 Serena we were hoping wouldn't be back.

btexas
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Well done, Lena! :bounce:

Kenny
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM
That just leaves Venus to win this singles event! :) GO VENUS!

Elldee
I think Serena needs to build up her match toughness and play a Tier III rather than an exhibition against a top ten player.

Sevenseas
Well done, Elena!!! Keep it up!!! :worship:

Serena!!! :eek: :sad:

alibaby
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
sorry guys,but why is it always that kind of tall with serena about "not fully fit,needs some tournaments"and so on??to be true,i find that quite unrespectful on the opponents!and why are the same arguments not said with any other player?..why just dont except,that on this certain day,elena was just better??period...and she is a topclass player herself,dont forget!
just a thought...

Laikade
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I expected Lena to win more easily, but it's still an ok performance :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM

SloKid
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Loving it... :bounce:

After the disappointment of Kookie and Kata losing today, this is just what I needed, even if it is only an exhbition tourney... :D

Bounty Hunter
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Congrats Elena!!!!!!!

Get her next time Serena :D

jogoss_78
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Serena :rolleyes:
this is ridiculous :o :mad: :rolleyes:

-VSR-

It's an exhibition bud, don't get your hopes up. Your fave is still slamless.

willrock
I had predicted this result in the poll.
Lena :yeah: it's a good performance.
Serena :tape: still obese...

DEETHELICK
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Congrats Elena :)

Serena, just get more match tough :)

It seems that Elena didn't choke it away, she remained focused, whereas Serena is definitely not right there yet. It was all about the 1st set. Once Elena took it, I had a feeling the 2nd set would be a 6-2 or 6-1 score.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Btw i dont think me or other SErena fans are saying LENA D didnt play great. Im sure she did, but compared to the way Serena played it wasnt that hard not to look great. Anyone that has seen Serena play a good match knows she was miiiiiiiiiiiiiileeeeessss away from that today. Playing that way she had no chance against Elena.

Munchen
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Elena :hearts:

Bounty Hunter

DR, thank goodness I didn't agree with your bet here... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just have to use Elena in my avatar over at the other place ...whew... :lol: :lol:

UDACHi
Elena, So impressed by this. I'm really pleased and this should boost her confidence for the start of the season. :bowdown:

Drimal
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Way to go Elena! :bounce:

I really hope she will play like this at the Aussie Open! :lick:

WhatTheDeuce
Well done Elena

Serena :tape: I really hope this isnt an indication of how 06 will be for you :o

Maryamator
:o

Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well done Elena

Serena :tape: I really hope this isnt an indication of how 06 will be for you :o

this actually is the indication of how 06 will be for Lena! :bigclap:

tennisjam
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM

I am speechless...

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
now we know elena can beat serena!

but i wanted a better match by serena... :sad:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
What i don't understand is that Serena crashes out of the China open in Sept 05 against Tian Tian sun or something with an awful scoreline too then claims she is taking the rest of the season off to "get fit and rehab her injuries" Then comes back almost 4 months after and this is what she has to show for those 4 months?

Winning 4 games off a player that had never taken a set from her? It's just baffling...today was dismal from her im just so confused......

Prizeidiot
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
GREAT WIN!!

But as a fan, I have to admit, everything was in Elena's favour. She was able to play a match against a not match fit, or even physically fit Serena, in a non-pressure environment where she didn't have to consider the problems with her serve and how it could let her down.

Not that I'm complaining. It was the perfect scenario for her to gain some sort of confidence against Serena. If you look at their history, Serena has owned Elena, even on days where she has been poor, and it seems like Elena has never believed in herself on those occasions. Knowing now that she can actually beat Serena on a given day will be priceless should they meet in a match of any importance in the future.

Carsten
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Elena :D

Rising Sun
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Oh Rena..... :sad:

Libertango
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Ouch. Wonder how Serena is looking/playing?? She still didn't look as trim and fit as she should in the pics I saw. Well played Lena!!!!

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
What i don't understand is that Serena crashes out of the China open in Sept 05 against Tian Tian sun or something with an awful scoreline too then claims she is taking the rest of the season off to "get fit and rehab her injuries" Then comes back almost 4 months after and this is what she has to show for those 4 months?

Winning 4 games off a player that had never taken a set from her? It's just baffling...today was dismal from her im just so confused......

okay...Elena has beaten every other top player except Serena. It's not all that surprising. Lena has been top 10 forever. She had a mental block against Serena, but it's ridiculous to assume Elena could never beat Serena. When Lena's on (and her serve is working) she can beat anyone as she has proven time and time again. The scoreline is shocking (I never thought Elena could breadstick Serena) but we have to keep in mind that this doesn't really count but will do wonders for Elena's confidence :hearts:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I never said or assumed that Elena would "never beat Serena". like that's not written anywhere in my posts, though I do believe that even when Elena's serve is "on" she is still subpar to a "ON" Serena by far....but anyway...... I guess Vee will need to take care of things in HK now. I know the sisters were working with a trainer in Australia right after HK so I hope serena plans to WORK HER @$$ off there!!!! or she will not do well.

vutt
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Somehow a phrase "That story is over" went trough my mind. Hm, I wonder why...

samdl
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Are there match statistics?

Dementinator
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Well Done Elena ,good girl..

Sorry Serena ,you may be a legend but this time YOU HAVE BEEN DEMENTINATED!

Well I have a little soft sopt for Serena ,but she simply doesnt seem to give a shit these days ,I had a feeling Elena could win this ,she takes her tennis seriously ,win or lose ,and always gives 110% on and off court ,shes faster than Serena and fitter than Serena ,I said Serena looked out of shape and she is..

O.K she needs more practice ,but how long is this gonna go on eh? The fans KEEP saying she will work hard ,SHE says she will work hard but she doesnt ,she visits premiers and eats and parties and it shows ,her skill will get her so far but she needs to be fit and she aint and I cant see her ever be ,someone needs to gag her for a bit..

Only an Exhib so wont read much into it ,but well done Elena! good start indeed.

iced gem
:woohoo: Go Lena!! Now, lets hope you can win the big matches in tournaments, not just exhibitions! :bounce:

No Name Face
I never said or assumed that Elena would "never beat Serena". like that's not written anywhere in my posts, though I do believe that even when Elena's serve is "on" she is still subpar to a "ON" Serena by far....but anyway...... I guess Vee will need to take care of things in HK now. I know the sisters were working with a trainer in Australia right after HK so I hope serena plans to WORK HER @$$ off there!!!! or she will not do well.

I disagree but that's okay. What I think separates Elena and Serena is that Serena believes in herself and Elena doesn't. I think in terms of talent, Serena might have a little more, but it's not that much more.

I don't think this is the end of the world for Serena. I'm not sure why everyone assumed she'd just steamroll through a top 10 player --- newsflash, she hasn't played many since last year's Australian Open. I think Serena should have played a tier III, got match tough, and then surprised everyone at the open. But you never know, she can still win the loser's bracket. If she can't beat Jie (who will probably lose to Clijsters) then maybe Serena hasn't been training like she says she is.

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
:lol:

Bash Serena over
losing an exhibition! ;)

Nice work by Elena.
She really is a great exhibition player.

Serena will and always does step it up
for the Slams and this time will be no exception.

I just want to see pics of Serena
to assess her physical condotion.

She'll be playing doubles in a bit w/Venus
so will get to see some more.

It's just an exhibition so
it's fine.

squash
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Well Serena does not give 10% to her tennis anymore, she is over weight and out of shape. Serena needs to lose some weight and get in shape.

Serena still believes she can just show up and win, those days are long gone.

What a shame? The girls still has potential!

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Well Serena does not give 10% to her tennis anymore, she is over weight and out of shape. Serena needs to lose some weight and get in shape.

Serena still believes she can just show up and win, those days are long gone.

What a shame? The girls still has potential!

Drama drama and more drama.

Let's get a grip people
it's only an exhibition. :lol:

Andy.
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
sorry guys,but why is it always that kind of tall with serena about "not fully fit,needs some tournaments"and so on??to be true,i find that quite unrespectful on the opponents!and why are the same arguments not said with any other player?..why just dont except,that on this certain day,elena was just better??period...and she is a topclass player herself,dont forget!
just a thought...

Come on its not being dissrespectfull Elena is a great player but a fully fit and healthy Serena ala 02/03 would wipe the floor of her.

Derek.
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
OMG Serena. :help:

Nice win for Elena! :)

Portobello
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Ooh Congrats Lena :D

great win :yeah:,and good scoreline

Elldee
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
A couple of Elena pics are up on getty.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Well done Elena :bigclap:

eddie_hyden
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM
congrats lena

a win is a win, no matter what reasons ppl gives...

K-Dog
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Pics of Serena and Elena on getty. Serena looks fitter to me. I don't think that's necessarily the problem, but it's the match fitness and really the attitude of an exo for the reason Serena lost. Seran really didn't look too bad physically.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Serena's pics are up too. I think she actually looks much fitter than she was for most of 2005 but its not about how fit she "looks". She still was not really moving anywhere like she was in up until 2003 and her game was bad....but hey...she does look fitter to me though it counts for $hit lol.

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Pics of Serena and Elena on getty. Serena looks fitter to me. I don't think that's necessarily the problem, but it's the match fitness and really the attitude of an exo for the reason Serena lost. Seran really didn't look too bad physically.

I agree.

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Elena said in one of the local newspaper interview that Serena is her most wanted player to play against because of her repeated defeat to serena. If my memory serves me correct, Elena has been losing in straight sets to Serena and never convert it. But, I am just not surprised to see her win with this convincing scoreline, it's a no secret that Serena is not in a hot form...

Go Elena :D

Hant11
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/9117/20060104t123635z01hkg51d2rtrid1.th.jpg (http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t123635z01hkg51d2rtrid1.jpg) http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/3654/20060104t124126z01hkg52d2rtrid1.th.jpg (http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t124126z01hkg52d2rtrid1.jpg)

Elldee
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Don't really like Serena's outfit.

Everyone who's saying slam and exo Serena are different need to remember what happened at the US Open and in particular Wimbledon.

Apoorv
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
great first match for lena! keep it up!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
well i personally miss the days of 1999-2003 when Serena played EVERY EVENT like it was a slam, and competed at the highest level mentally and physically for each and every point, in each and every match.

Meelis
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Lena :)

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Come find me when they face
each other in a Slam, then we can talk.

Mathijs
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM
What a win for Lena :), nice way to start the season, hope that 2006 will mean alot of good things for Lena :)

Keep it going now Lena, so far, so good!! :yeah:

Maria Croft
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Like I said, Serena probably just didn't risk getting injured

But congrats on this win Elena!

Kenny
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Has the doubles started yet?

Prizeidiot
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Hey.. I only just noticed.

What is the new racket Elena is using? It's certainly not the RDX500

Hant11
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
another pic of elena
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5115/20060104t125634z01hkg53d2rtrid.th.jpg (http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060104t125634z01hkg53d2rtrid.jpg)

hingis-seles
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Great win for Lena D! Congrats. Should be a confidence-booster should they play again. :)

It's just an exho, though ;)

Nickk
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hopefully Serena will be OK for the Australian....

tenn_ace
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Lena :bounce: :kiss: :worship: well done

SelesFan70
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Nice win, Elena! :eek:

Meesh
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Nice win Elena, Good Luck in 06

Foot's Fingers
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Lena :kiss: even it is not regular tour it's good way to start 2006

Stephieva
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
OMG Lena :banana: :banana: :banana:
Tho it's an exhibition match, I'm so happy Lena finally beat Serena... :D :D :D

Experimentee
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Serena :rolleyes: :help:
Hope she gets more match practice and improves a LOT before the AO

dav abu
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Well done Elena :) I wish I could watch highlights of this match to see what kind of shape Serena is in. I know she is a big match player but the Oz Open is only days away at this stage it will be very interesting to see if she can turn things around.

marmite1
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Good win for Elena. Glad she started off the year well :)

Stamp Paid
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Oh Jesus.......6-3 6-1 to Alyona :help:

Kinda glad I wasnt able to see that.

safinforlife
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Can someone please tell me how to get to getty images? I dont know what that is!

josved
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I thought that, but not too easy!

lukehingis
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
How's Elena's serve??

tae04
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Serena lets get it together.

Oh well this won't be on the record books anyways, so Serena is still undefeated against her in real match play, lol.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
not the best scoreline to literally wake up to this morning. i don't think as a huge fan i can take any more dissappointment. i can only hope she gets more confidence by the AO, otherwise she is going to burn out very early.

good job by elena. the real only assessment that i can make is that obviously elena deserved to win, but that didn't look like serena out there. she surely looks WAY fitter than in '05, but her running isn't as great which screws up her returns. i personally think she was playing it extremely safe so she didn't aggrivate something, and i also am realizing that she hasn't played a match match since china, and well, i'm not going to make excuses, serena needs to start backing up her words with actions, because frankly, this serena is breaking our hearts!!!

i'm really hoping she can find something in herself to motivate herself again. i'm tired of hearing about her "dominating days." that part of her past is over, i want her to find herself again and not just "show up for slams and win them" but treat tier 1's and 2's as slams as well like she used to.

sorry for going on, this is just sad as a fan.

Billy Moonshine
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Fab win for Elena. She has clearly been working hard and wants to build on a successful 2005.
As for Serena, well, it is sad to see she hasn't been able to sustain her wonderful form from 2002-03. We know about her injuries and her family problems however it is now the beginning of 2006 and she is still struggling. We know she is not training as much as she could and we know she is not completely commited to tennis, if she was, she would be back to her best form.
I don't think it is fair to say that Elena wouldn't have beaten her in 2002-3 or that Elena only won because Serena is not fully fit. 02/3 is a long time ago and today is what matters and today Elena and Serena are miles apart for many reasons and the match is a reflection of where their current games are.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not worried, Serena's a big match player. She's not going to put the same effort into winning a exo as she would to win a slam. It's just like last year when Maria beat Venus easily at an exo in Japan, but when they go to Wimby Venus turned up the heat at whipped Maria.

FoxyliciousKhat
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm worried and I'm not worried about Serena, however I think Serena is rusty, and still has some issues to iron out. The thing is I know she hate to lose, had this been a tournament she might have fought a little harder. Still a win is win for Elena and could boost her confidence is playing Serena in the future. Congrats to Lena!

tennislover
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
...not surprising at all......
add that it was not a final match :drool:

sunset
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Serena gets smoked! What a great way to start off the new near.
I'm lovnig it.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meeek
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Lena :worship: :bounce: :banana:
Fantastic :cool:

Jakub
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
nicely done :woohoo: :D

G_Slammed
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Maybe cause you and the thousands upon thousands like you never wanted to see their story on the scene in the first fuckin' place.

JLDementieva
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Go Elena! nice to see a great start to the year! :D

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Yessssssss, good going elena sweety!:yeah: now win this exo and your slam this year! :bounce:

azinna
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Great win for Elena. She needed to take this opportunity to eventually get her H2H with going in a different direction. Good job.

As for Serena, patience has to be the key word for her fans. She's actually physically fitter than 2005. That counts for about 2-3 steps in a 12-step programme back to top form. If she's also truly injury-free, than we are half-way there. If she stays on track (no injuries, no not-an-athlete phases), fans of the game should be looking for her to contend for finals by Wimbledon/summer hardcourts. Anything earlier would be a gift.

starr
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Great win for Elena. She needed to take this opportunity to eventually get her H2H with going in a different direction. Good job.

As for Serena, patience has to be the key word for her fans. She's actually physically fitter than 2005. That counts for about 2-3 steps in a 12-step programme back to top form. If she's also truly injury-free, than we are half-way there. If she stays on track (no injuries, no not-an-athlete phases), fans of the game should be looking for her to contend for finals by Wimbledon/summer hardcourts. Anything earlier would be a gift.

On what facts, do you base your assertion that Serena is fitter than in 2005?

miffedmax
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Of course I'm happy for Lena. But as others have pointed out, it's just an exhibition.

Lena can beat anybody in events where there is no pressure, or Fed Cup where she has the support of a team. She needs to get more results like this at majors.

(Sorry for the flash of rational thought. I'll revert to mindless Lena D worship momentarily).

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'm disappointed not for the loss, but I'm just not sure where Serena is going right now.

Dolphin
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Super Win Elena!! :yeah:

Two more for the title!! :bounce: :bounce:

lizchris
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's an exhibition bud, don't get your hopes up. Your fave is still slamless.

Thank you.:kiss:

Plus Serena is the current AO title holder.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you.:kiss:

Plus Serena is the current AO title holder.

She'll be the previous AO title holder if this is a marker for how her tournament will go. True it is an exhibition, but to lose 3/1 to Elena and from the pictures, not happy and overworking, that's tough right now.

serenafan08
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Ouch...that one hurt.

new-york
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well, congrats Elena, she must have been solid with that scoreline.

Well, exhibo or not, the scoreline is impressive. i'm just wondering how Serena feels, i would like to read her words. Cause really, i don't know where she stands.
Hopefully, she'll regain form match by match.

santhuruu
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM
You know, I was always staying positive about both Williams sisters all the time, but it's getting quite tough for me, because Serena is not really the Serena I wanted to see, because I met Venus for the first time on tv when she played against Hingis in the 2000 Wimbledon quarterfinal, but I've met Serena at the Wimbledon quarter final of 2003. And I heard she was hitting every ball really hard. But unfortunately after that tourney she had knee surgery. And from that moment she wasn't really having the old form, but I was okay with it because she still won tournaments and got far in the tourneys she played. But now with this score. I'm really worried.

Bubba08
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
You know, I was always staying positive about both Williams sisters all the time, but it's getting quite tough for me, because Serena is not really the Serena I wanted to see, because I met Venus for the first time on tv when she played against Hingis in the 2000 Wimbledon quarterfinal, but I've met Serena at the Wimbledon quarter final of 2003. And I heard she was hitting every ball really hard. But unfortunately after that tourney she had knee surgery. And from that moment she wasn't really having the old form, but I was okay with it because she still won tournaments and got far in the tourneys she played. But now with this score. I'm really worried.
Wait and see. ;)

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Well Justine lost to Elena at her exibition last year, in fact if I remember correctly she lost all her matches. Then she won RG. It's not SO bad for Serena.

People can say everything about Sesil beating Venus but one thing is sure, that was the slap she needed and she reacted perfectly as everyone saw. Maybe Serena needs a little slap too. I mean, it's not very nice to loose with such a scoreline to a player she's always beaten. I won't be worried for Serena until she's healthy.The woman has a cracter and the only thing she need is a motivation and to be halthy enough. I can't think of a better motivation than loosing like this. Do you remember after the YEC how she reacted?

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Ops, I almost forgot, nice win for Elena though :) She needs wins like this!

Meesh
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:09 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060104/capt.sge.stc53.040106141246.photo00.photo.default-278x384.jpg
US Serena Williams returns a forehand to her Russian opponent Elena Dementieva during the Watsons Water Championship Challenge quarter-finals in Hong Kong. Dementieva won 6-3, 6-1.

Meesh
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
There are some other pictures on YAHOO :)

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
People can say everything about Sesil beating Venus but one thing is sure, that was the slap she needed and she reacted perfectly as everyone saw. Maybe Serena needs a little slap too. I mean, it's not very nice to loose with such a scoreline to a player she's always beaten. I won't be worried for Serena until she's healthy.The woman has a cracter and the only thing she need is a motivation and to be halthy enough. I can't think of a better motivation than loosing like this. Do you remember after the YEC how she reacted?

I am in agreement with everything you are saying. Especially about putting all confidence once Serena is fit and healthy, but at least for me, Craybas should have been the slap in the face for Serena, the remainder of 2005 should have been a slap in the face. It's like how many more does Serena need? And I hate thinking like this because I really love Serena and she's the best player in my mind, but it's hard when you're a fan on the outside thinking it should be faster and easier than what results are showing you. That's why I go to school and she plays I guess :lol:

pla
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I am in agreement with everything you are saying. Especially about putting all confidence once Serena is fit and healthy, but at least for me, Craybas should have been the slap in the face for Serena, the remainder of 2005 should have been a slap in the face. It's like how many more does Serena need? And I hate thinking like this because I really love Serena and she's the best player in my mind, but it's hard when you're a fan on the outside thinking it should be faster and easier than what results are showing you. That's why I go to school and she plays I guess :lol:

Well Craybas' loss was during her immediate post-injury comeback. Fitness-wise she couldn't fight I doubt anyone was really surprised by that result. I saw her too, she could barely move outthere. Now she should have healed her injury (it was wise to take off the rest of the season) and the only thing is motivation. If you look at Venuses results, she laso had pretty bad loses before RG. I really feel, r for the sake of tennis I hope, that Serena will take this BADLY and work her a**e off to come back stronger.

xXSarajevoXx
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Lena :banana: :banana: :banana:

Lita's Ex
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Congrats to ED. HK is HK. Melbourne is a whole 'nother ball game. :D

daffodil
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
This is crazy from Serena. She knows herself that she is noticeably overweight (for a tennis player), and her style of play just can't afford that. She should take 4 months off after the Australian Open to be ready and fit for the French and Wimbledon.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Well Craybas' loss was during her immediate post-injury comeback. Fitness-wise she couldn't fight I doubt anyone was really surprised by that result. I saw her too, she could barely move outthere. Now she should have healed her injury (it was wise to take off the rest of the season) and the only thing is motivation. If you look at Venuses results, she laso had pretty bad loses before RG. I really feel, r for the sake of tennis I hope, that Serena will take this BADLY and work her a**e off to come back stronger.

I hope Serena works it too, for herself especially. Everything comes in stages and even Serena needs that confidence and motivation at times. Here's to it coming soon with everything else.

@m@nd@
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
wow, great job elena!
keep it up :yeah:

Meesh
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I don't think she looks overweight. Last year at OZ she was look'n overweight... there are several pictures on yahoo of her...
Having been to an exo I don't take these matches seriously. I'm not sure if Hong Kong is different from Tampa, Florida EXO :confused: Did anyone go? or watch? is it high quality?

Harju.
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:56 PM
:Rena: :help:. Well the bright side is that it is only exhibition and hopefully Rena pushes herself harder next time :o.

Bankhead Bounce
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM
:Rena: :help:. Well the bright side is that it is only exhibition and hopefully Rena pushes herself harder next time :o.

Why u buggin? Dementieva choked in both Slam she play in. Aint no thang that she beat Rena in a exo. :rolleyes:

raquel
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
:rolleyes:

Didn't Jelena say that before Venus and Serena both won a Slam last year? While she went into the 300s?

Dokic got it wrong. And if you think Serena's "story is over" based on this result then you are as deluded as Dokic was.

This is an exhibition. A bad result for Serena but not the disaster some people seem to think it is.

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Surprised! This is just an exo, but even so the scoreline and not the loss is what bothers me. C'mon Serena! Be the hunter and not the hunted.

Timofy
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
tonight serena was a error maker

Craigy
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Unlucky Serena, I kinda saw this coming...
I still have faith in you though :)

sunset
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-04T132500Z_01_HKG55D2_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-04T132151Z_01_HKG57D2_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-04T123635Z_01_HKG51D2_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-04T132003Z_01_HKG54D2_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

starr
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Actually, I think Serena has a good plan to come early to Australia and to work out under the summer conditions. She has time to get in better shape and to get herself and her game honed.

She does look very unhappy on the court, but she's looked that way for a long time now.

Brooks.
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dementieva can have Hong Kong ... :tape: :kiss:

Serena may not be herself right now...but she's the one who will get the last laugh in 06'...trust me :angel:

FERLKE
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Lena!!!!! :hearts: :kiss: :worship:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Well done Elena!!!! A good start to the year :) :) :)

No Name Face
Jan 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Elena will make a big impression at AO. I have this feeling 2006 will be the year she finally shines. Not just because she beat Serena, but because I just have this feeling. She's worked on her consistency in 2005 and now she's gonna win the big matches in 2006.

DAVAI LENA! I will sit back and laugh when you do all the things the haters said you couldn't do.

Danči Dementia
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
YAY I know lena will do it :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

New
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM
:worship: Well done Elena!:bounce:

10nisfanofruz
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Elena will make a big impression at AO. I have this feeling 2006 will be the year she finally shines. She's worked on her consistency in 2005 and now she's gonna win the big matches in 2006.

Let's hope that she will do it this year. She has potential to win GS. I don't want to wait another year.
Congrats! Elena for a very good start. :) :worship:

jogoss_78
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dementieva can have Hong Kong ... :tape: :kiss:

Serena may not be herself right now...but she's the one who will get the last laugh in 06'...trust me :angel:

:lol: :lol: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce:

Pheobo
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM
YES! :bounce:

Well done LenaD! :yeah:

lauryn
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Great result, Elena! :D

DragonFlame
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2006-01-04T132003Z_01_HKG54D2_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

i love this one!!! :D :devil: such a meanlooking grin, maybe elena finally toughens up and gets her win this year!!! :bounce:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Serena needs to stop playing until she gets 100% fit.

cheo23
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
SERENA:help:

Just 4 games?????? :o

Congratulations Elena Dementieva!!!!!!!!!!

lizchris
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Elena will make a big impression at AO. I have this feeling 2006 will be the year she finally shines. Not just because she beat Serena, but because I just have this feeling. She's worked on her consistency in 2005 and now she's gonna win the big matches in 2006.

DAVAI LENA! I will sit back and laugh when you do all the things the haters said you couldn't do.

Now let us see her beat the following at a consistent basis at a Grand Slam:

Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Kim
Justine
Maria
Amelie

then we can talk about her being a factor in a Grand Slam.

Sanneriet
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Kim
Justine
Maria
Amelie

Well, she doesn't have to beat ALL of them at one Grand Slam. And being in two finals in one year is being a factor. I would love to see her finally break thru. I suspect this win means more to her than the loss does to Serena.

Wsisters45
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I hope Serena works as hard as she can in the next couple of weeks before the AO. She looks a lot fitter than last year and if she works hard,she'll be ready :yeah:

Good win Elena :)

Breakaway
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Great job Elena D :bounce:

Task
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Elena :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Almalyk
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Well done Lena :)

venus_rulez
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ok the people in here saying serena wasn't trying as hard because it was an exhibition are RIDICULOUS. Do you not know Serena? Serena wants to win every point, every game, no matter where she is. Not only is that incredibly rude to elena, but it's rude to Serena as well. She lost, deal with it. At the same time though Serena had an abysmal year after the Aussie open, but she's still number 11 in the world. That in and of itself shows how good she is. It sounds like venus all over again, whenever Serena decides she wants to start winning again she will, it's that plain and simple. And if she never decides, serena has accomplished virtually everything there is to in tennis, everything now is icing on the legacy.

venus_rulez
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Kim
Justine
Maria
Amelie

Elena's at least a contender, she's been to 2 slam finals. i think if you say thta about elena you have to say the same about Amelie too.

Yonexforever
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
First of all its an effin EXHIBITION........
Second of all, this result doesn't count..
Third of all... Elena is still slamless....
Fourth of all.. no one will remember this match except Elena a year from now, cause even then she still wont have won a set from Serena in match play!
Need I go on.....
We are all hungry for a little early season drama.. i wonder who will complain there is no off season now!!!!
I suggest we cast our eyes on Hingis who seems to be stirring the pot quite nicely, tennis wise an quote wise in the land of OZ!

UDACHi
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
First of all its an effin EXHIBITION........
Second of all, this result doesn't count..
Third of all... Elena is still slamless....
Fourth of all.. no one will remember this match except Elena a year from now, cause even then she still wont have won a set from Serena in match play!
Need I go on.....
We are all hungry for a little early season drama.. i wonder who will complain there is no off season now!!!!
I suggest we cast our eyes on Hingis who seems to be stirring the pot quite nicely, tennis wise an quote wise in the land of OZ!

Shut up. :o

UDACHi
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

gmak
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
lena :yeah: :D :kiss: great start to the year :)

Ferosh
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I fucking new it. Congratulations to Dementieva for finally getting that win over Serena. As for Serena, I hope her year just improves and hopefully she gets no more injuries.

:worship: Elena Dementieva :worship: I'm not worthy, I'm just not worthy.

Yonexforever
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I know someone didnt just eloquently tell me to "shut Up"...hmmm I think its high time we had an age requirement to post on these boards!

Chriskip
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
When I read all these assumptions a lot of funny things come to mind
1.......Serena won AO last year, but what else did she do?
2.......Samantha Stosur was to be the "girl to beat" last year after her good Aussie season and leading the Race
3.......Neither Serena nor Venus were expected to win Slams last year (Justine was practically a cast off too, until she turned up for the clay courts, but has done little since. Kim played her ass off and for once held up to the expectations of the fans in the US Open)
4........The Russian domination was to continue......etc. etc. etc.

My point is, we are not even a full week into the 2006 season and people are putting so much into the few matches that have been played so far. If that were to be a good indicator most of what happened last year shouldnt have.....I mean all the 2005 Slam winners left 2004 with injuries/illnesses that placed big question marks on their prospects for 2005....but guess what, they came through for themselves...i say themselves because some of us the fans are so cruel to them sometimes. It will only be a matter of time before we all go back to laughing after Elena's serve etc.
I am disappointed Serena lost, but I didnt expect anything else. How many of us can truly put aside the "fan" hat and look at this realistically? Elena is one of the fiercest players on tour once the service ball gets out of the air and is hit within the lines. Serena has always showed "rust" in her early round matches of any tourney...even when she has won with convincing scorelines.....she usually takes a while to get into things...AO 2005 was a perfect example. Even when the girl made it to the finals all the negatives about her game were still the focus, but we all know how the commentators changed their story mid Championship match when she showed the other and better known side of her game.
Winning just 4 games against any opponent is probably devastating for Serena, and probably worse so since it was against an opponent who seems to have some beef for her and her sister....remember Miami 2004....its just for her to learn from it. Elena has learnt and finally accepted the flaws of her serve. She has worked on it and other aspects of her game. Serena has it in her to do the same too.

With all this rant and rave I still laugh because it would be one funny year if the top players at seasons end are the ones doing good this week only....Martina, Tatiana, Elena etc. They have a lot to live up to for the rest of the season.

Lachrymarum
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Lena! :) :worship:

dinhd82
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Pathetic from Serena, Serena should beat Elena with her eyes closed, what happened?

~~*Elena.D*~~
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
nothing.........

Europe rocks
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Well done Elena! About time Elena defeated Serena, so good luck and hopefully the form will continue into the rest of the year!

hablo
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM
well done, Elena Dementieva,although it's just an exhibition :yeah:

get it together, Serena :rolleyes:

(ALLEZ MOMO :devil: )

Kimdsay
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sinnet
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Big Congrats to Elena! Good job! :yeah:

Now, as a Serena fan, I was surprised to see so many of her fans saying she would crush Elena or compete at a high level in this match. Folks, she hasn't played a real match in a long while, and for the last year, she's played like absolute crap, so what made you all think she'd miraculously change things around?

With that said, I must say that I was disappointed with her play, despite knowing how she'd perform in this match. If you look at her photos, you can tell she's aggravated, tired-looking, and definitely out of shape.

Sad news is, not much can or will change before the Australian Open. Even if she were to train 24 hours a day until the Australian Open, that's less than two weeks, and the body can't be toned nearly that quick.

If I was Richard Williams or Oracene Price, I would have her butt doing hard sprints, and then focus on her technique which is WAAAY off. Her groundies and serve were way off, and there's small things about them (such as footwork, which is her biggest enemy right now) that she could change in time to have good form by the time AO rolls around.

I'm not steaming off an exhibition match -- unlike many, I recognize that it's an exhibition. However, exhibitions are used as a test for the players to see where they're at, and this test showed that Serena's conditioning needs a lot of work, and while she has a long way to go in that department, I have faith that if she just goes down to Australia with one of her coaches and focuses on the footwork and technique of her groundies, she'll be fine.

Paialii
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
You people and your constant negativity. :rolleyes:

1) Serena Williams cannot be expected to play like the number one player in the world out of nowhere. Truth be told, any tennis analyst would have chosen Elena to win this match based on the fact that Serena isn't in match-shape. That's what these matches are for. Serena can go and evaluate what she did wrong, what she needs to work on, and go on knowing that she played against an elite player, had her ass handed to her, and will recognize that with the more matches she plays, the better she'll become. Sometimes it takes losses to breed wins.

2) Please, for the sake of my sanity, stop whining about her conditioning. I think some have forgotten what she looked like when she was in top shape. It's not her being overweight (by a few pounds, mind you, she's no cow) that's causing these losses, it's a lack of play. You could have tagged on ten pounds to the 2002 Serena Williams and she still would have dominated. So please, stop focusing on her conditioning and let her worry about that. It takes time, and we all know that she's hungry to be back without injuries, so I'm sure she's approaching training in a smart, slow way.

3) In no way does this foreshadow her having a terrible year. For Christ's sake, this is the first match she's played since she was in China this fall. Exhibition matches are used to track progress and are used for evaluation. Serena has been coached all her life by her parents, so personally, I don't think she needs 100 new coaches here whining about what she's doing wrong, when she and her parents are well aware of what needs to be changed.

To Elena Dementieva: congratulations on a well-deserved and well-earned win. I hear she played solid and wasn't afraid to play her shots. Way to go. :yeah:

To the Serena fans: have a little faith, and have a little patience. She'll be back.

beauty_is_pink
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Lena!!! :woohoo:
what A WIN!!! :hug:

Mr_Molik
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Reena :sad:

lizchris
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Elena's at least a contender, she's been to 2 slam finals. i think if you say thta about elena you have to say the same about Amelie too.

I do.

njnetswill
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Serena....:unsure: She needs to defend her AO points or her ranking will :tape: .

Hopefully Dementieva can keep those DFs away and make a good run at AO.

lizchris
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Well, she doesn't have to beat ALL of them at one Grand Slam. And being in two finals in one year is being a factor. I would love to see her finally break thru. I suspect this win means more to her than the loss does to Serena.

Venus was in two finals in 2000 and 2001; the difference is that she walked away a winner. Serena was in three finals in 2002 and she was also a winner.

She has to beat at most two of them and to date, that hasn't happened.

kodeRED
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Winning just 4 games against any opponent is probably devastating for Serena, and probably worse so since it was against an opponent who seems to have some beef for her and her sister....remember Miami 2004....its just for her to learn from it. Elena has learnt and finally accepted the flaws of her serve. She has worked on it and other aspects of her game. Serena has it in her to do the same too.

You are mistaken if you believe that Elena has a beef with the Williams, she has always said that her favorite player to watch is Serena b/c she is such an awesome player. And your references to Miami 2004 are ridiculous, Elena said in a joking manner that Vee was a good actress after Mary Joe and Cliff probed and prodded her to answer why she thought Vee played so much better and moved better after having an ankle injury. Then after the final she said that she wished that she had a sister to take the court for her that day, simply trying to apologize for giving the crowd such a bad final.
There is no beef.

GogoGirl
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Hey All,

Serena had injuries up the yang-yang last year - and IMO - they are what held her season back. Sports writers and pundits even admitted as much - although some of them seemed to doubt her interest in the sport - and although - she was injured. Huh? Which is stupid to me. If a player is injured - how much interest in a sport they can't participate in - should they pay? And especially seeing said player can't practice properly because of the injury(ies). *Scratches head*

She still might not be as fit as she would like to be - but that's just it. She has to get and feel ready - willing - able and fit enough to compete at her highest level. Let her work her way back into the limelight. Give her time.

In my estimation, after Serena twisted her ankle, she was not able to right herself into being 100% injury free for the rest of the season. NO player should have to play pro tennis if they are not comfortable doing so - and as it pertains to what said player feels their capability is - in order that said player is able to play at 100%. Serena came back too soon in a couple of her tourneys after she twisted her ankle. And then - there was the knee.

Jennifer still isn't back - and she has been out awhile. Does anyone begrudge her for not showing up - whilst she knows in her own mind and heart that her body/shoulder isn't 100%?

Serena still just MIGHT be hurting in the knee - but does anyone care? Many players try to play thru injuries - and many times - it's to their own detriment. I think that is the case with Serena. Some want to blame it on weight. Please! I don't care who it is - if a player is not confident enough to go all out because said player feels playing tenatively is much safer as it pertains to how she wants to approach her reentrance on the tour - then so be it. None of us should throw stones at players coming back from injuries. Because what goes around could come back around, and it could be our fave(s) that are afflicted.

I like watching Elena play - and I said it three years ago - I would choose her for my all clay-court team - and since then - I've amended it to declare - I'd choose her to be on my team for all surfaces. She is a fighter - and she has game. The double faults and mediocre serve is what has held her back for years. On yesterday - Serena was double faulting - and double faulted three times in one game. Surely - she was not on her game. It really is that simple. And Elena was on hers - and especially to the extent that she was playing aggressively - and with confidence.

Elena admitted she liked to watch Serena play. She was gunning for Serena. And well she should have been. Every player should feel as if they can beat anyone on any given day - and some days - they accomplish it. Serena wasn't on it. + - she knew Elena could bring it, for she respects Elena's game. Elena was the better player on the day - and good on her for touting her own horn against a player she'd never beaten. And I don't care if it is a real match or not. A win is a win.

Serena will get back there again - and of course she can. Many of us don't doubt it for a minute. She will improve. Just like Jen, Mary, Lindsay, Venus and - ironically Martina is trying to do now, and all others that needed to improve - 'Once Upon A Time'.

Below is an old article from last year, and where she won the slam after suffering and being out w/a back injury. Serena's weight looks the same to me. Yesterday - she was lacking in match play and toughness, a steady, consistent and super serve, and her own brand of firepower. She will build up the strength in her legs, arms, shoulders and will again. And then - she will take no prisoners once again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/tennis/4214545.stm

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hey All,

Serena had injuries up the yang-yang last year - and IMO - they are what held her season back. Sports writers and pundits even admitted as much - although some of them seemed to doubt her interest in the sport - and although - she was injured. Huh? Which is stupid to me. If a player is injured - how much interest in a sport they can't participate in - should they pay? And especially seeing said player can't practice properly because of the injury(ies). *Scratches head*

She still might not be as fit as she would like to be - but that's just it. She has to get and feel ready - willing - able and fit enough to compete as her highest level. let her work her way back into the limelight. Give her time.

In my estimation, after Serena twisted her ankle, she was not able to right herself into being 100% injury free for the rest of the season. NO player should have to play pro tennis if they are not comfortable doing so - and as it pertains to what said player feels their capability is - in order that said player is able to play at 100%. Serena came back too soon in a couple of her tourneys after she twisted her ankle. And then - there was the knee.

Jennifer still isn't back - and she has been out awhile. Does anyone begrudge her for not showing up - whilst she knows in her own mind and heart that her body/shoulder isn't 100%?

Serena still just MIGHT be hurting in the knee - but does anyone care? Many players try to play thru injuries - and many times - it's to their own detriment. I think that is the case with Serena. Some want to blame it on weight. Please! I don't care who it is - if a player is not confident enough to go all out because said player feels playing tenatively is much safer as it pertains to how she wants to approach her reentrance on the tour - then so be it. None of us should throw stones at players coming back from injuries. Because what goes around could come back around, and it could be our fave(s) that are afflicted.

I like watching Elena play - and I said it three years ago - I would choose her for my all clay-court team - and since then - I've amended it to declare - I'd choose her to be on my team for all surfaces. She is a fighter - and she has game. The double faults and mediocre serve is what has held her back for years. On yesterday - Serena was double faulting - and double faulted three times in one game. Surely - she was not on her game. It really is that simple. And Elena was on hers - and especially to the extent that she was playing agressively - and with confidence. Elena admitted she liked to watch Serena play. She was gunning for Serena. And well she should have been. Every player should feel as if they can beat anyone on any given day - and some days - they accomplish it. Serena wasn't on it. + - she knew Elena could bring it, for she respects Elena's game. Elena was the better player on the day - and good on her for touting her own horn against a player she'd never beaten. And I don't care if it is a real match or not. A win is a win.

Serena will get back there again - and of course she can. Many of us don't doubt it for a minute. She will improve. Just like Jen, Mary, Lindsay, Venus and - ironically Martina is trying to do now, and all others that needed to improve - 'Once Upon A Time'.

Below is an old article from last year, and where she won the slam after suffering and being out w/a back injury. Serena's weight looks the same to me. Yesterday - she was lacking in match play and toughness, a steady, consistent and super serve, and her own brand of firepower. She will build up the strength in her legs, arms, shoulders and will again. And then - she will take no prisoners once again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/tennis/4214545.stm

BEST POST EVER.

and btw, elena loves serena and i can only hope serena loves elena. they my girls :cool:

Corswandt
Jan 5th, 2006, 12:54 AM
MATCH REPORT

'Cause I know that many people had trouble watching the live feed.

I posted this elsewhere already. Edited it because it was much too harsh on Serena.

-----------------

Just finished watching it. It was live on the local sports TV network, but I had to record it to watch later on.

The actual match lasted something like 50 mins.

Serena was never really on the match. Many bad UEs and about the same number of DFs as Lena. Poor serve and not a single ace. Only a couple of good shots (but those, to her credit, were nothing short of breathtaking). She pounded the ball hard, but her play was aimless (she rarely if ever attacked, such was the pressure Lena put on her) and her movement sluggish. More often than not, she would stretch to reach the ball instead of actually moving her feet. But this was an exhibition after all, and I'm pretty sure she'll show much more when actual competition begins.

Lena seems to be in fine fettle. She moved well, hit a fair number of her trademark "oooohhhh, how did she do that?" crosscourt winners and was overall quite consistent. The serve: something like 10 DFs, pretty bad for an exhibition that lasted only two short sets, but also two aces. But most important, when the serve worked (whether first or second; the second serve was usually almost as good as the first), it was very good and well placed, and Lena now seems to be able to win easy points out of her serve better than ever before. I'm more confident about 2006 now, even if this was just an exhibition against an opponent that played about 0,5% of what she can do.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Elena :bounce: :D :cool:

RatedR Superstar
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Yeessss!!!!!!

Rub
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2006-01-04/U364P6T12D1973142F44DT20060104205541.jpg

serena should not be playing!

Irish
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Very good win Elena! :D :D

OMG Serena :eek:

Natasc
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I saw a few a games and honestly Serena wasn't that bad at all...
She was good IMO
Hitting hard as hell...sometimes I just questioned myself how those rackets could handle with all that power (from both players - Elena and Serena)

Anyway, good win Lena!! :D
And good lucky next time... :kiss: