PDA

View Full Version : Should Martina get a seeding in Melbourne?

spiceboy
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Being owned by the ITF, Grand Slams retain the right to seed any player at their own discretion. Even if only Wimbledon does this (and not really that often anymore) do you think a 3 time winner who is obviously coming back really strong deserves one?

I'd say...let's wait until Gold Coast is finished. If she wins the whole thing she definetely deserves one :worship: :worship:

ZAK
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM
It really doesn't matter if she "deserves" one, because she ain't gonna get one. Besides deserves is such an intangible term, and its more exciting if shes unseeded aswell

matthias
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
no - because Martina Hingis unseeded makes the AUS-Open more interesting at the first week

spiceboy
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:55 AM
no - because Martina Hingis unseeded makes the AUS-Open more interesting at the first week

That's so true ;)

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
yeh i dont think she should get one it will be to much fun seeing who shes gotta play in the first week

GoDominique
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
No.

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Seeded or not, she is going to be the same Martina and win with the same style. :D

rand
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
poor seeded players who will have to face Martina in the first rounds :lol:

mr_burns
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
wait, I don't think lindsay, venus and im will be poor players. they will knwo to handle her

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
poor seeded players who will have to face Martina in the first rounds :lol:

Sharapova VS Hingis 1st rd :worship: or maybe Hingis VS Serena 1st rd :worship:

Nicjac
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Well, she doesn't deserve a seeding - yet.

Kenny
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I say if she wins a tourney or two before the Aus Open, give her one. A low one, but one.

Lemonskin.
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
You cant seed someone on the basis of two easy wins over lowly players.

The Kaz
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
martina is getting a WC thus is ineligable for a seeding at grand slam level or Miami (but other WTA tourney are OK)

Orion
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I do not envy the players that will face her in the first couple of rounds. She's slotted to play a seed in one of the first two rounds, and after that, even more seeds. I'd love to see her rip her way through the power players of the younger set (Krajicek, Peng, even Vaidisova and Ivanovic), and then have a show-stopping quarterfinal against Sharapova, because I have no idea who would win.

jochem
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
R1: (WC) Martina Hingis (SUI) d. (1) Lindsay Davenport (USA) 0-6 7-6(10) 7-6(8)!!!!

Whahaha If that happens........................................... . I guess I would eat my chair or my TV...

Dexter
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
R1: (WC) Martina Hingis (SUI) d. (1) Lindsay Davenport (USA) 0-6 7-6(10) 7-6(8)!!!!

Whahaha If that happens........................................... . I guess I would eat my chair or my TV...Smakelijk eten :lol: :p

But no I don't think she should get one - would be very interesting indeed if she will face in the early round a high-seeded player ;)

jamatthews
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Whahaha If that happens........................................... . I guess I would eat my chair or my TV...

Your totally delusional...that's never gonna happen so just GET OVER IT...
No 3rd set tie break at Australian Open...it'll probably be 10-8 in the 3rd...

Munchen
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
No. :)

tennisjam
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
despite her "merits", it wouldn't be fair...

and having some big clash it the start could be interesting for everyone...

(well, not "too big", like facing one Davenport, Venus or Dementieva on fire...)

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Martina will draw WC Jelena Dokic in the 1st round!!! :-O

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
absolutely not, i love hingis, but she doesn't deserve a ranking just because she is playing 2 weeks before the australian. the players who have played consistently over the past year deserve it more, i'm sorry, but it's true.

marmite1
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Well, she doesn't deserve a seeding - yet.

Agreed

Fantastic
Jan 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I don't think Martina will be seeded this year but she'll definitely be seeded NEXT year! ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Martina coming up against one of the Top 8 seeds in the first round. It would be a night match for sure. If Martina draws them early, it's 50-50 whether or not she causes an upset because playing a high-calibre opponent early is always a bit of a shot in the dark. Martina should be match tough going into Melbourne, playing singles and doubles on the Gold Coast and in Sydney. She should give whoever she draws a very tough match.

Winston's Human
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Being owned by the ITF, Grand Slams retain the right to seed any player at their own discretion. Even if only Wimbledon does this (and not really that often anymore) do you think a 3 time winner who is obviously coming back really strong deserves one?

I'd say...let's wait until Gold Coast is finished. If she wins the whole thing she definetely deserves one :worship: :worship:

I thought that the Slams had the right to re-order the seeding, but had to keep the top 32-ranked players as seeds.

FoxyliciousKhat
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Whether or not Martina wins Gold Coast or any other tournament leading up to the AO I don't think she deserve to be seeded. All of her fans having these orgasmic experience over her beating two players she should beat. Well if she's so great let us see her worth against the elite players.

jonny84
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
If Martina is good enough then it doesnt matter if she is drawn up against a seeded player in the first round.

The same for any player.