PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Dismisses Retirement

bis2806
Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Hingis welcomed back to world tennis
Sapa-AP

CM8ShowAd("middle")

HONG KONG - World No. 1 Lindsay Davenport and the Williams sisters today welcomed Martina Hingis’ tennis comeback, with Serena Williams saying she’s rooting for the five-time Grand Slam singles winner and Davenport observing that her return is good for the sport.

“I was actually really excited to hear that Hingis was going to come back. Honestly, she was such a great player in her time and her time is still our time,” Serena Williams told reporters ahead of Hong Kong’s Champions Challenge exhibition tournament, which begins tomorrow.

“I’m actually rooting for her unless, of course, she plays me,” she said.

Her older sister Venus was likewise enthusiastic and predicted Hingis will perform well.

“I think anything that’s an addition to women’s tennis is awesome and I think she’ll do well,” she said.

Davenport said Hingis’ return to competitive tennis will draw more attention to the women’s game.

“I think it adds another great story line to women’s tennis and I think it’s going to be very interesting to see how she comes back after a couple of years away from the game,” she said.

Davenport was diplomatic when asked if Hingis could climb back to the top echelons of women’s tennis.

“I mean, each player is definitely unique and different so we’ll obviously see in the next few months how Martina is able to cope with that, so it’s very hard to say now,” she said.

“I think that it’s a very, very tough sport. Obviously Martina has been one of the best players that has ever played, so I’m sure she wouldn’t be coming back unless she felt like she could make this transition,” Davenport said.

Hingis, who retired in 2002 because of foot, heel and ankle injuries, won her first match since her comeback Monday, beating Venezuela’s Maria Vento-Kabchi 6-2, 6-1 in the first round of the Australian women’s hardcourt championship on the Gold Coast. She will play in the Australian Open, which she has won three times.

The Swiss player has said the standard of women’s tennis has risen since she left the game and that she has to improve.

Others in the field of eight women in Hong Kong are reigning U.S. Open champion Belgian Kim Clijsters, world No. 8 Russian Elena Dementieva, India’s Sania Mirza, the Czech Republic’s Nicole Vaidisova and China’s Zheng Jie.

The Williams sisters said they are feeling physically fit after being bogged down by injuries late last year.

Serena won the Australian Open in 2005 and Venus won Wimbledon, but the sisters faded later in the year, with neither qualifying for the season-ending WTA Championships. Serena played only 28 matches all year.

“Injuries are part of sports, but right now, (I’m) solid,” Venus Williams said.

Davenport, who turns 30 in June, dismissed talk of retirement.

“I know in my heart that I haven’t been ready to stop yet and I feel like when I am the message will be loud and clear, but for now while I’m enjoying it, I’m going to keep playing and see what happens,” the three-time Grand Slam singles winner said.

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/sports.aspx?ID=BD4A133556

mike/topgun
Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Very nice to hear it :D thanx bis2806 ;)
I'm glad that Linds is enjoying it - so hopefully she'll be in a good form physically/mentaly, going for her shots and moving the serve around etc. right from the start - then she's definitely a great candidate for Oz Open.:wavey:

RayRob
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
:lol: she just can't keep away ;)

:p

Nice one Lindsay!

-Rache

.....but surely this is her last year :confused: not that I care ;)

Andrew..
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
I think she'll end up playing into 2007, Rache. But pobably just a reduced schedule including the slams and the US tournaments.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Nothing puts a smile on my face more when I read an article about Lindsay and she dismisses retirement talk. She isn't going to say when but let's enjoy her while it lasts but its great the motovation is still there for now anyway. Now let hope Lindsay gets her 30th birthday present too.

RayRob
Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Nothing puts a smile on my face more when I read an article about Lindsay and she dismisses retirement talk. She isn't going to say when but let's enjoy her while it lasts but its great the motovation is still there for now anyway. Now let hope Lindsay gets her 30th birthday present too.

What's that!? Are you talking crazy like Roland Garros as a present!? Now that would be a story and a half :lol:

I guess all things are possible in this crazy world!

-Rache

LindsayRulz
Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
What's that!? Are you talking crazy like Roland Garros as a present!? Now that would be a story and a half :lol:

I guess all things are possible in this crazy world!

-Rache

Lindsay Davenport: 2006 Roland Garros champion :hearts: :lick:

Frederic
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM
It would be fantastic!!!! :drool:

RayRob
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah, it would be great but....:haha:

Seriously though, it would be a fantastic acheivement & would be very nice. I have suggested it in the past with similar ridicule (as I'm giving out) but it does have to be said that Lindsay really does hate clay more, the older she gets.

I'm not sure how Lindsay staggered through to the quarter finals last year - I guess every champion deserves a flukey break now and again ;)

Hopefully I will be taking back my ridicule if you guys turn out to me right :p

-Rache :wavey:

Kimmi
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Now that would be something else!! :)

Nice article :yeah: It reminds me of one at Wimbledon:

"Just 12 months ago, Lindsay Davenport was talking of retirement, of making her farewells to the tour she had travelled for 14 years, and of heading into the sunset to start a family and get a normal life.....within a matter of days, she was back in the United States and mopping up titles like it was going out of fashion. She won five titles and 27 out of 28 matches over the course of the summer and, by the autumn, she had taken over at the top of the rankings, regaining the No.1 spot for the first time in nearly three years. Thanks, Lindsay.....and, as for the hard working denizens of the press room: we will not believe a word about Davenport's retirement until we have seen it carved in tablets of stone. In triplicate."

I have to agree - I won't believe it until I physically hear the words come out of her mouth.

I'm hoping Andrew is right - 2007 would be soooo awesome!!! :bigclap:

Frederic
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Wow!!!! I hope Lindsay to be the 2007 Australian openand Wimbledon!! ANd 2006 of course!!!!

Loughyunijen
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Go dav! The last paragraph of that article was a nice touch!

Lets hope the new coach can bring ina few changes...to mix up davs game and get a couple more grand slams!

Go dav!

foreva lindsay
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yay another year of Lindsay :D:D:D

lindsayno1
Jan 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
ive never seen pigs fly...