PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Report - Day 1!!

paul_masterton
May 5th, 2002, 05:58 PM
First qualifying round
Oxana Karyshkova (Russia) bt Ipek Senoglu (Turkey) 7-5 6-2
Irina Boulykina (Russia) bt Lenk Snajdrova (Czech Republic) 6-3 6-4
Chiaki Nakajima (Japan) bt bt Charlotta Larsson (Sweden) 6-4 6-2
Chanele Scheepers (South Africa) bt Frances Hendry (GB) 6-3 6-3
Sofia Arvidsson (Sweden) bt Melanie Marois (Canada) 6-2 6-1
Natalie Neri (GB) bt Kelly Simkin (GB) 7-5 6-2 6-1
Frederica Piedade (Portugal) bt Elsa O'Riain (Ireland) 1-6 6-2 6-3
Christina Zachariadou (Greece) bt Cristelle Grier (GB) 6-2 6-2
Jaslyn Hewitt (Aus) bt Svelta Bozionik (Slovenia) 6-4 6-0
Alexsandra Srndovic (Sweden) bt Chantal Coombs (GB) 6-1 6-1
Olivia Sanchez (France) bt Emily Webley-Smith (GB) 6-1 6-4
Laura Dell'Angelo (Italy) bt Lyndsay Reilly (GB) 6-2 6-1
Karen Paterson (GB) bt Kirsty McRae (GB) 6-1 6-0
Aurelie Vedy (France) bt Marina Caiazzo (France) 6-4 6-1
Mariam Ramon Climent (Spain) bt Melissa Berry (GB) 7-5 6-3

TheBoiledEgg
May 5th, 2002, 06:01 PM
well done

Oxana and Irina, too bad they play each other :sad:
Sofia :)

bad luck
Emily
Cristelle
Chantal
Charlotta
Marina

Monica_Rules
May 5th, 2002, 06:04 PM
WOW 2 brits won:rolleyes:

And they only got through cos they played another brit:rolleyes: ;)

bluepastures
May 5th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Oh, what a terrible day for the British players! None of the seven who lost could even take a set. Arvidsson should certainly be capable of qualifying from this draw.

paul_masterton
May 5th, 2002, 06:26 PM
My report: ill do this in teh draw order, not in teh order i watched :)

Oxana Karyshkova (Russia) bt Ipek Senoglu (Turkey) 7-5 6-2

when i left Oxana was leading 3-1, Ipek looked tired and sore. Oxana wasnt having to much bother

Irina Boulykina (Russia) bt Lenk Snajdrova (Czech Republic) 6-3 6-4

Irina played very solidly and consitently, Lenk didnt. Only saw 1st set.

Chiaki Nakajima (Japan) bt bt Charlotta Larsson (Sweden) 6-4 6-2

Thsi was a bit fo a shock. Chiaki had spent the whole day wandering about on her own, as shes teh only asian here, and was last on court. Starngely, she dint moonball ;) Chiaki broke at 4-4 and never looked back. Pretty much teh only upet of the day.

Chanele Scheepers (South Africa) bt Frances Hendry (GB) 6-3 6-3

I was very impressed by Hendry. Solid of teh ground and powerful. She has lots fo bp and game points but squandered them all. Scheepers was too experienced. Frances loks very promising.

Sofia Arvidsson (Sweden) bt Melanie Marois (Canada) 6-2 6-1

This match was very interesting. But not because of teh result. Sofia had just 1 racket. The airline woudlnt let her take tehm on teh plane as handluggage and they got lost. If the string had broken she would ahve ahd to default. Luckily, she was only on court fro about and hour. Melanie ried, but coudlnt do anything.

Natalie Neri (GB) bt Kelly Simkin (GB) 7-5 6-2

Kelly led 5-2 and promptly lost the next 5 games. Didnt see the second set. Neri looked competent if not great. Kelly was all over the place after she dropped her lead.

Frederica Piedade (Portugal) bt Elsa O'Riain (Ireland) 1-6 6-2 6-3

Elsa cruised the 1st set 61, but Piedade fought abck strongly as O'Riains game fell apart. Didnt see final set, but resutl was inevitable. Can imagine Elsa being good on hard court, but Piedade was too strong from teh back.

Christina Zachariadou (Greece) bt Cristelle Grier (GB) 6-2 6-2

Grier has no breasts!!! Im serious. And from this match she has no talent either. Pathetic performance. She coudltn cope with eth slow courts at all, Zachariadou didnt have to do much really.

Jaslyn Hewitt (Aus) bt Svelta Bozionik (Slovenia) 6-4 6-0

Jaslyn never looked in doubt. I only saw 2nd set but she was all over the hapless Svelta who double-faulted about 10 times.

Alexsandra Srndovic (Sweden) bt Chantal Coombs (GB) 6-1 6-1

Coombs didnt play badly, but Alexsandra was in a difefret class. Chantal tried to change things up a bit, but failed miserably. Chanatl showed glimpses of talent, especially up at teh net - but it wasnt near enough. She came off court in tears. Coincidently, Coombs and Neri share a coach.

Olivia Sanchez (France) bt Emily Webley-Smith (GB) 6-1 6-4

Didnt see any of this match, btu it was teh first on adn teh first off. Emily spent teh next 6 hurs sunbathing on the grass and speaking on her phone.

Laura Dell'Angelo (Italy) bt Lyndsay Reilly (GB) 6-2 6-1

Linzi had major strapping on her left ankle, but even so she wouldnt have won this match. Reilly has very powerful groundstrokes, but unfortunately most fo them were 2ft long. If Linzi could ahve been more consistent she could ahve presurded her Italian oppenent. As it was Laura cruised through in a match which lasted a surprsisingly long time, about 80 minutes.

Karen Paterson (GB) bt Kirsty McRae (GB) 6-1 6-0

Teh score says it all. Kirsty hasnt evn hit puberty yet (i dont think), her time will come.

Aurelie Vedy (France) bt Marina Caiazzo (France) 6-4 6-1

Didnt see any of this match, so cant coment.

Mariam Ramon Climent (Spain) bt Melissa Berry (GB) 7-5 6-3

This scoreline is a real surprsie. This match lasted nearly 2 hours. Climent was not expecting this, and to be hoest i dont think Berry was either. Berry was able to stik to her game, and it nearly worked. In teh end teh spaniards superior clay court finesse showed.

other notes

It was absolutely boiling!! Ive sun burnt my arms and my neck! There wasnt a cloud in the sky and as a result there were muhc more people watching. The playes hung about all day, the brits staying in their little cliques. The 'posh' ones all sat about with tehir sun-bed tans and new mobiles giggling away. Teh 'unpopular' ones, wandered about by tehmselvesand practiced with foreigners.

I will be there all day tuesday, but not for very long tomorrow 'cause of school..

If you ahve any questions about any mathces/plauers etc.. just post.

Paul :D

bluepastures
May 5th, 2002, 06:41 PM
It was very sunny and warm in Bournemouth too Paul. Although it's very dull here in Essex.

Incidentally, isn't it a bank holiday in Scotland tomorrow, as you mentioned school? What you say about Arvidsson's racquet is interesting, apparently many airlines are being REALLY obstructive about that.

paul_masterton
May 5th, 2002, 06:52 PM
it is a public holiday - but only fro state schools. I go to a fee-paying school so ill be in :(

But there will still be play at 3:30 so ill go fro 2 hours or so.

Incidently, the only match not to be played was doyle vs allan (for obvious reasons). The order of play brings about teh chancce that doyle/allan could be forced to play ALL their qualifying matches in one day :eek:

I doubt that, as Hewitt will probably bt doyle in 2dn round, but even so. I expected them to wait until tuesday to play that one.

Also odd is that every mens qualifier wil play their 1st round match 2morrow, but not all matches are being played.

And anoyingly, Alan Makin has drawn teh 7th seed Jens Knippschild :fiery:

Bluepastures, the brits are crap on clay. Grier was an embarssament. Someone needs to fix it up. Due to it ebing do hot, i thoguht teh courts might have been a bit quicker, helping tehm out. It didnt

Paul :D

Rising Sun
May 5th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the results Paul. :wavey:

Congrats Chiaki. :D
Poor thing, being the only Asian there.
I respect her for travelling all the way there by herself and not doing what the others are doing by being at Gifu/Fukuoka. :)

anabel
May 5th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks Paul

Go Mariam :D!

spiceboy
May 5th, 2002, 07:50 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Looks like Mariam it's going down on the rankings and game (spending 2 hours playing an unknow brit on clay :o )

Did you know that Marian won the Orange Bowl sub 18 in 1994 beating first Weingartner and then Kournikova in the final in straight sets?

Did you know that Mariam won the first of her 6 challenger in Mollet 94' (Spain) beating in the final Nathalie Dechy 6/0, 6/0 :eek:

Did you know that this wouldn't be her first challenger win in England since she won in Hatfield 98' beating Julie Pullin in the final?

Did you know that she has been as high as 123 in world rankings?

Did you know that her best showing in the WTA tour has been a QF appearance at Knokke Heist 99' and a first round victory over Larissa Savchenko-Neiland in Key Biscaine 99' before falling to Serna in 3 sets?

Well, apparently all this is gone now. She is close to the 400's in the rankings and not having good results anymore. Let's hope for a good showing here in Scotland.

stevek
May 5th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the report Paul.
I was disappointed Elsa lost her match but then again she lost early last week. Hopefully her form will improve next week.

Monica_Rules
May 5th, 2002, 10:24 PM
I knew that Christelle was crap on clay shes won 1 match on the dirt in the ITF tournies!

Its hard to believe she won a match in wimbledon qualifying:eek:

bluepastures
May 5th, 2002, 11:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Jaslyn Hewitt can perform better this week, having gone out to Srndovic in straight sets in the first round at Bournemouth. On form, Doyle might well win it (against the rankings), but we'll have to wait and see.
Is Hewitt playing doubles here? She didn't at Bournemouth.

DutchieGirl
May 6th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Elsa! :sad: :sad: Chani! :kiss: :D Good luck Yvonne! :D

aerolike
May 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Well Done Chiaki!!.You are strong enough to go to main draw.

anabel
May 6th, 2002, 09:14 AM
spiceboy dont be so pessimistic....

im sure Mariam will raise her rankings and her game soon, at least i hope it :)

barabanschikova_fan
May 6th, 2002, 03:35 PM
:angel:

lol Mélanie Marois lost 6-2, 6-1 lol

Can you imagine that her objective at the beginning of the year is to join the top 100 lol

I'm not ok to laugh about that but maybe people will wake up and realize Marie-Eve talent and forget Marois.