PDA

View Full Version : Article - Dokic back in Australian fold - Damir

Belco
Nov 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Dated 12 November 2005

Jelen Dokic will re-apply for Australian Citizenshop when she visits Melbourne next month to prepare for the Australian Open.

The tennis stars high profile father Damir Dokic has confirmed his estranged daughter will go back on her decision to play under the Serbian flag and return to the Australian fold.

She is expected to apply for Australian Citizenshop in time for the Australian Open in January - an even she has not played since 2001.

"Jelena phoned her mother and told her she plans to travel to Melbourne in December to prepare for the Australian Open," Damir Dokic told Kurir, a Serbian newspaper.

"She wants to take Australian Citizenshop when she is tehre and to play at the Australian open as an Australian citisen."

Dokic has been a tennis reculse for the past two years, with her world ranking dropping into the 300s after being estranged from her controversial father, who caused the infamour incidents at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Her parents said they had not heard from her since a tournament in Italy in August and were considering calling police before she telephoned her mother.

"She phoned my wife from Croatia saying she was OK," Damir dokic said.

"I thought she has been kidnapped or something. "
"She did not call for three months and i was about to ring the police."

Serbian tennis federation chiefs said they has not been able to contact the player for a year.

"If Jelenas application for Australian citizenshop will be good for her career then I wish her well," Serbian Tennis Federation president Slobodan Zivojinovic said.

"Ive tried to contact her but have been unable to do so for the last 12 months."

Dokic, 22 moved with her family to Australia in 1994 and became a rising star on the tour, making the semi0filans of Wimbledon shortlyl after her 17th
birthday.

She quit Australia and signed for Serbia after the 2001 Australian Open when the family's perceptions of the draw being rigged against her proved to be the last straw in their anger at Australian tennis officialdom.

Copyright AAP. :P

Taken from tab sportsbet website
http://www.tab.com.au/sportsbet/index.asp

MilanDokic
Nov 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Dokic won't play for Australia, said her manager and friend Drago Diklic!

Belco
Nov 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
haha i hope he lied :D

MilanDokic
Nov 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Haha, I'm affraid he told the true!

rada
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:00 AM
i think she will play for austraila

MilanDokic
Nov 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
No, if she thinks she will play better for Australia, she is in big problem! She hasn't problems with flags, her life is main reason!

azza
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Stay with Serbia please. PLEASE.

shannonannafan
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I think she should go to the country that made her a star.

Wojtek
Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Stay with Serbia please. PLEASE.

Shut up

Belco
Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
I think she should go to the country that made her a star.

that would be Australia :bounce:

rada
Nov 25th, 2005, 02:00 AM
lets just hope she comes back and plays

CCCP1
Nov 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM
I hope she does, but there hasnt been any other news and there was also rumours like this, this time last year

Belco
Nov 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Dokic won't play for Australia, said her manager and friend Drago Diklic!

Manager was wrong :D :D :D :D
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
MELBOURNE, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Former world number four Jelena Dokic is returning to Australia on Saturday and has been granted a wild card entry to the Canberra Classic tournament in January.

The 22-year-old, who has not played in Australia since abandoning the country in 2001 to return and play under the flag of her native Serbia and Montenegro, is also seeking to play Fed Cup for her former adopted homeland.

Dokic moved to Australia in 1994 and twice represented the country in the Fed Cup and at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, before returning to Europe after her father Damir, her coach at the time, accused officials of rigging the Australian Open draw against her.

"She's arriving on a plane this weekend in Australia, is going to take an apartment in Melbourne, try hard, try to earn her wild card for the Australian Open with a playoff, but she's been given one in Canberra," Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee said.

"Eight or 10 weeks ago I just got a phone call from Jelena saying 'I want to come back and play if I can, and play under the Australian flag if I can, can we help in any way?'

"So I passed that on to Steve (Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood), we talked about it, and as an Australian, she deserves every chance like any other Aussie."

HUGE POTENTIAL

Wood said Dokic, whose ranking has plummeted to 349, would be welcomed back, starting with the tournament in Canberra.

"Jelena is a player with huge potential and will be a real drawcard for this tournament," Wood said.

"Tennis Australia has always said that the door was open for Jelena when she felt able to return to Australia and that time has come.

"She is now in a position to make her own decisions in life and we are happy to help her make that fresh start."

Dokic now has little contact with her father and has said she was looking forward to returning to Australia.

"I am an Australian, I feel like an Australian and I want to play for Australia again," she was reported as saying by News Ltd newspapers.

"Australia is such a great country. The people are amazing. "I had tremendous support from a lot of people, I loved playing Fed Cup, it was a great experience for me. I got along with everyone.

"I never got rid of my Australian nationality. I'm ready to be Australian again -- there would be no point going back if I didn't feel Australian."

MilanDokic
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Jelena is Serbian, she has two citizenship. She has Serbian blood, it's a fact!

blablabla
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM

In the history of the WTA Jelena reached number 4 in the World and was the best placed European during a very very tough and depressing time in Serbia's modern history.
The Australian "Federation" (if you can call it that... zmije) exploited her misery publicly and then made it their priority to rip her career to shreds.

Don't lose your Faith in Jelena. She's 110% Serb.

Ana Ivanovic/Jelena Jankovic/Jelena Dokic = SERBIAN DREAM TEAM

vutt
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM
The Australian "Federation" (if you can call it that... zmije) exploited her misery publicly and then made it their priority to rip her career to shreds.

LOL! And now she's turning back to her exploiters. Must be typical stockholm syndrome then ;)

I'm not denying that she's serbian, but let's face it she was the product of Tennis Australia. No more no less. Peace...

blablabla
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:27 PM
LOL! And now she's turning back to her exploiters. Must be typical stockholm syndrome then ;)

I'm not denying that she's serbian, but let's face it she was the product of Tennis Australia. No more no less. Peace...

Stockholm Syndrome ? She's a blonde but she isn't stupid. She banked $2M as a Serb Number One before her career was sabotaged by the jealous Australians.

She was then bankrupted by the australian-federation's-good-pig-bad-pig-croat-bikic-sock-puppet routine. She excelled too much for some apparently...

Whatever happens she's a part of Serbian Tennis History.

Ana&Jelena Fan
Dec 1st, 2005, 05:15 AM
I`m very sorry that Jeca is not "ours", but if this was only way (and I think it is) to go back on top I wish her good luck...

Belco
Dec 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM

Im not trying to say she isnt Serbian coz she is 100% Serbian...
im just happy she is playing for my country again :D

I will get to see her more now :D

nitocris_tiger
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Stockholm Syndrome ? She's a blonde but she isn't stupid. She banked $2M as a Serb Number One before her career was sabotaged by the jealous Australians.

She was then bankrupted by the australian-federation's-good-pig-bad-pig-croat-bikic-sock-puppet routine. She excelled too much for some apparently...

Enlighten me as to how Australia sabatoged her career and then bankrupted her?