PDA

View Full Version : News

tennis2003
Nov 9th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have any news on this tournament. Seems they is alot of hipe over the ABS in NZ, players being announced. Yet i am hearing nothing about the Gold Coast???

Jorn
Nov 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Maria Sharapova will play.

CCCP1
Nov 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Nice. Are any Committment lists out

waratahsrock
Nov 10th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Yea, i've heard nothing yet, apart from a rumour that Vaidisova is going

ozfan44
Nov 14th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Only Sharapova!

Hopefully they announce some others soon!

mapaliey
Nov 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
why masha play in tier III ? :rolleyes:
i think her rank is too high for this tournament
and she will win easy and easy point. damn :mad:

S-T-E-V-E
Nov 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Patty Schnyder will defend her title :)

ozfan44
Nov 19th, 2005, 05:40 AM
why masha play in tier III ? :rolleyes:
i think her rank is too high for this tournament
and she will win easy and easy point. damn :mad:

all about aussie open preparation i guess!

the heat will test her as it can get very hot and humid in gold coast!

ozfan44
Nov 19th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Entry Lists are done by wta next week will try and get hold of them but dont hold your breath waiting :rolleyes:

Cage
Nov 19th, 2005, 02:25 PM
thanks ozfan :)

Meesh
Nov 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Tennis Australian website so far only lists Maria coming and a new sponsor

ste86
Nov 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Francesca Schiavone play here???

crazillo
Nov 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Francesca Schiavone play here???

Can't you read? And learn some proper English...

ozfan44
Nov 21st, 2005, 07:45 AM
Can't you read? And learn some proper English...

ouch! you gonna give that poor persons head back or eat it after u just bit it off! :tape: :lol:

mapaliey
Nov 21st, 2005, 07:45 AM
well if masha play here,i hope there is somebody can competitive against her.
so good game can produce a good player for winner. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tennisjt
Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:01 PM
The entry lists should be done today. Does anyone have entry list? Thanks

gillibean
Nov 24th, 2005, 01:39 AM
The WCs wont be on the entry list will they?

iPatty
Nov 24th, 2005, 02:32 AM
well if masha play here,i hope there is somebody can competitive against her.
so good game can produce a good player for winner. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Right :tape: :yeah: :rolleyes:

FERLKE
Nov 24th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Confirmed players

Sharapova
Schnyder
Dechy
Schiavone
Safina
Penetta
Golovin
Sugiyama
Bovina :kiss: :hearts:

LINK: http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/article.aspx?id=6043&articleid=ArticleID20051124141126&pageId=9959&HandlerId=1

~|Naomi|~
Nov 24th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Nice field so far:)

Also Safarova is playing:)

~|Naomi|~
Nov 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Bumper field lights up Gold Coast in 2006

November 24, 2005

The Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts – Queensland’s premier international tennis event – has attracted an outstanding player field for the 2006 tournament, it was announced at the official launch today.
Two of the world’s top 10 players, five of the world’s top 20 and three former tournament winners have opted to commence their season at the popular Sony Ericsson WTA Tour event, to be held at Royal Pines Resort from Sunday 1 – Saturday 7 January 2006.

Russian sensation and the biggest name in women’s tennis Maria Sharapova headlines the player field and will be seeded No.1 when she makes her Gold Coast debut.

Following a breakthrough season in 2004 which included her maiden Grand Slam victory at Wimbledon, 18-year-old Sharapova has won three singles titles this year at Tokyo, Doha and Birmingham, reached the semifinals of the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open and the last eight at the French Open where, in each instance, she was beaten by the eventual champion. In August she completed her rapid rise to the top by becoming the first Russian woman to hold the world No.1 ranking.

Patty Schnyder of Switzerland is currently ranked at a career-high of No.7 in the world and will be back to defend the title she won in 2005. Following her success at the Gold Coast, the 26-year-old reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, captured her second singles title of the year in Cincinnati, and achieved back-to-back finals at the Tier I Zurich and Tier II Linz tournaments in October.

Returning to the scene of her first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour victory is Nathalie Dechy of France. A surprise early exit from the 2005 tournament, 26-year-old Dechy went on to defeat Anastasia Myskina and Schnyder en route to achieving a semifinal appearance at the Australian Open – her best Grand Slam result – and end the year ranked at a career-high of world No.12.

Back at the Gold Coast following a year’s absence is world No.13 Francesca Schiavone. The Italian reached three WTA Tour singles finals this year in Tier I Moscow, Bali and Hasselt, and the fourth round of the French Open. Wins over players such as Amelie Mauresmo, Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Nadia Petrova and Elena Dementieva have taken her ranking to its current career-high.

Russian Dinara Safina won two Sony Ericsson WTA Tour titles this year winning in Prague and defeating Amelie Mauresmo in the final at the Tier II Paris Indoors. The 19-year-old was a member of the Russian Fed Cup Team which defeated France in the September final and has recently reached a career-best ranking of world No.20.

A semifinalist and crowd favourite at last year’s event was 17-year-old Tatiana Golovin, who returns as world No. 24. The Russian-born Frenchwoman broke into the top 20 for the first time in April this year and reached her second singles final at the Japan Open. Golovin already has one Grand Slam title to her name, having won the 2004 French open mixed doubles title with countryman Richard Gasquet.

Two-time champion Ai Sugiyama of Japan (29) is a regular at the Gold Coast tournament and will be back to contest the event in 2006.

A dangerous floater in the main draw will be Russian Elena Bovina. At 1.89m tall, the 22-year-old cuts a striking figure on court and reached a career-high of world No.14 in April before a right shoulder injury forced her to miss most of the second half of the year. The lay-off forced her ranking out to 62, but all the seeded players will be hoping to avoid a first round match against her.

Headlining the doubles field is world No.1 Cara Black of Zimbabwe, who will contest the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts with regular partner Australian world No.5 Rennae Stubbs. This year the 26-year-old won six titles, including Wimbledon with South African Liezel Huber, and finished runner-up at the French Open and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season ending championships.

"The Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts has again attracted an outstanding field, led by former world No.1 Maria Sharapova," said Steve Wood, CEO of Tennis Australia.

"It’s also great to have our new naming rights sponsor in Mondial Assistance on board for the next three years.

"A key event on the Road to the Australian Open, the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts gives players the chance to hone their game in conditions similar to those at the first Grand Slam of the year.

"Part of Tennis Australia’s role is to help grow the game and I hope that the introduction of Kids’ Day on 1 January, where all children aged 16 and under are admitted free when accompanied by a ticket holder, will help inspire our next generation of tennis champions," Wood said.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/p...8680.5898967361 (http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38680.5898967361)
Tennis Australia CEO Steve Wood at the launch.

Managing Director of Mondial Assistance, Peter Edwards, said he was particularly drawn to the high standard field the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts attracts.

"I have every faith Liz Smylie, Tournament Director, will deliver another first-class event next year. Entries from top ranked players, such as Maria Sharapova, strengthen the tournament’s reputation of quality.

"As such, we are delighted to have taken on the naming rights sponsorship for the next three years," Edwards said.

The 32 players in main draw will be competing for a total prizepool of US$175,000 and Tournament Director Liz Smylie anticipates a tough contest ahead.

"Obviously Maria Sharapova will be the one to beat this year, but with the five other top players – Schnyder, Dechy, Schiavone, Safina and Pennetta all sitting on career-best rankings, Maria will have a fight on her hands."

"Last year’s semifinalist Tatiana Golovin and former winner Ai Sugiyama are in with a great chance and we shouldn’t overlook teenagers like Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic who won two WTA Tour titles this year," Smylie said.

gsm
Nov 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM
no vaidisova :confused: :unsure:...

waratahsrock
Nov 24th, 2005, 07:21 AM
no vaidisova :confused: :unsure:...

She can take her tantrums somewhere else!

gsm
Nov 24th, 2005, 07:29 AM
She can take her tantrums somewhere else!
nice to know your opinion.

some of us simply enjoy great tennis and dont get hung up over personality. :)

waratahsrock
Nov 24th, 2005, 08:06 AM
nice to know your opinion.

some of us simply enjoy great tennis and dont get hung up over personality. :)

Some of us enjoy great tennis, and don't like seeing someone act like a brat :D

Mana
Nov 24th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Some of us enjoy great tennis, and don't like seeing someone act like a brat :D

She is in HK I think. Palmer wanted to get her to NZ, but thank god he did'nt!

~|Naomi|~
Nov 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Oh please Vaidisova is a superstar. Hong Kong if it is true she is playing there, as it hasn't been officially announced are lucky to have attracted her. Perhaps you're happy she isn't in NZ as she'd beat Petrova for the title or on the GC pose a very big threat to Maria winning her first title since June.

waratahsrock
Nov 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Oh please Vaidisova is a superstar. Hong Kong if it is true she is playing there, as it hasn't been officially announced are lucky to have attracted her. Perhaps you're happy she isn't in NZ as she'd beat Petrova for the title or on the GC pose a very big threat to Maria winning her first title since June.

How about you rephrase that to 'superstar in the making.' Vaidisova has enormous potential to achieve well at the slams.

She'd beat Petrova for the title :confused: , just like she was going to beat Petrova at the US Open.

Europe rocks
Nov 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Hopefully Bovina can pick up where she left off last season :D

lionel
Nov 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Forza Flavia and Fran!

Drake1980
Nov 24th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Good luck Schiavone, keep up the amazing play. also Dubois in the Qualies, start of the year well girl.

~|Naomi|~
Nov 24th, 2005, 10:11 PM
How about you rephrase that to 'superstar in the making.' Vaidisova has enormous potential to achieve well at the slams.

She'd beat Petrova for the title :confused: , just like she was going to beat Petrova at the US Open.

Fine it have it whatever way you want 'superstar, 'superstar in the making' whatever, but even you admitted the girl has great potential. She is still only 16 and has achieved a lot already.

Vaidisova and Petrova have played in one final, Bangkok, Petrova choked, Vaidisova won. So their record in finals is 1-0 to Vaidisova. I never thought she would beat Petrova at the US Open.

Whatever way you put it your posts reak of jealousy. The girl has game.

gsm
Nov 24th, 2005, 11:34 PM
She'd beat Petrova for the title :confused:
vaidisova - petrova H2H in finals; 1 - 0 vaidisova :kiss:

waratahsrock
Nov 24th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Whatever way you put it your posts reak of jealousy. The girl has game.

:scratch: Ooooooooookay, now thats just pushing it a bit far! I am not jealous of her, and yes she does have game (which i have not denied in previous posts)

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 25th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Stephanie will be in the qualies, im eager to see how she'll do in some pressure matches!

gillibean
Nov 25th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Stephanie will be in the qualies, im eager to see how she'll do in some pressure matches!

How do u know she will be in the quallies..When does the quallie list come out?

pierce0415
Nov 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Can't Smylie release the full list? I want to know if the Chinese girls are in the draw

Ellery
Nov 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Can't Smylie release the full list? I want to know if the Chinese girls are in the draw
Me too :shrug: But I am almost 100percent sure Na, TT/Ting and Zi will be here :D

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Confidential Information :devil:

Louis Cyphre
Nov 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
There is 2 possible answers :
1 :secret: Stephanie is cdpoulin1 but she`s under cover ...
2. "If i tell you I have to kill you"
So choose one ;)

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
I am so mysterious...... :angel: :devil:

jisung
Nov 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Me too :shrug: But I am almost 100percent sure Na, TT/Ting and Zi will be here :D
100percent? sure?
I really hope the chinese girls will play here
if someone see them in the draw,show it please,thax :bounce:

Ellery
Nov 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
100percent? sure?
I really hope the chinese girls will play here
if someone see them in the draw,show it please,thax :bounce:

I can't really be 100% sure, but the Chinese girls played here last year, Na, Zi, Tian Tian have pts to defend, so they should be playing here. :confused:

Tati & Dani
Nov 27th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Goodluck Tati :kiss:

-Makiri-
Nov 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Good luck Francy and Flavia !!!!!!! :bigclap: :bigclap:

gillibean
Nov 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
There is 2 possible answers :
1 :secret: Stephanie is cdpoulin1 but she`s under cover ...
2. "If i tell you I have to kill you"
So choose one ;)

Ha I choose 2.

jonny84
Nov 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM
This is going to be a good tournament to start the year off in 2006!

Kunal
Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM
shld be a good tourney