PDA

View Full Version : Don't you think that Nastya is wasting her good form?

ys
May 1st, 2002, 02:25 AM
She is apparently in very decent form, but she is not improving, and there is no indication that her results against Top players are going to improve. At the same time, recently she is very consistent. Just look at that. Out of her last 5 losses on Tour - 4 are to Top 10 players. More than that, 3 out of those 4 ar to two players who monopolised Grand Slams for almost two years. And the only non- Top 10 loss is to #12 Shaugnessy. I think it is clear indication that she achievied quite remarkable form and remarkable consistency in her results.

What is bad about that, that she isn't really earning that much of points, partly because of bad draws. Like there is nothing shameful in her loss to Dokic today, but it is 1-pointer. With this kind of form and consistency she would be hot favourite to win any side event like Bol or Warsaw, or Estoril or Porto.The way it goes, she loses only to good players, but she hasn't made a single semifinal in those tournaments, and semifinals is the stage where really fat tournament points come in play. Playing arguably the best tennis from all Russian players, she is only #4 in LA race among Russian players..

Cassius
May 1st, 2002, 02:35 AM
You said Myskina would be favourite to win in Bol.
Do you really think she'd beat Elena Dementieva?
I agree that Myskina is in good form and that Elena D isn't, but I think Elena holds the Indian Sign over the other Russian girls exept Kournikova.
I think maybe Myskina would be over-rawed by facing her countries no.1 and would crumble. But, if she got a good start and won the first set, I think she'd have a good chance because then Elena would crumble. Although even if Myskina went a set down to Elena its no guarentee that Elena would win, because she also tends to fold when she's leading. So.........actually it could really go either way.:confused:

the cat
May 1st, 2002, 02:42 AM
ys, Ana is having a good year! :D She might end up being better than Kournikova and Dementieva. Myskina's game is improving. While Anna's and Elena's games are going backwards. :mad:

And ys, Myskina has fine form! On and off the court! ;)

ys, you were Malysh on the AnnaK.org board? I remember you. You, along with SPMU were 2 of my favorite posters! :kiss: When did you leave? Was it before I started posting there? You should come back occasionally. They have an "other players" forum there. Did Eggy or tenn_ace ever post there?

Cassius
May 1st, 2002, 03:05 AM
I used to be a member of that board (I think it was that board anyway. Most of them look the same to me)
But......then I got chucked off for using 'foul and abusive language':o . Thing is, I wasn't the only one doing it, but (as far as I know) I was the only one removed.:mad:

ys
May 1st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Cat, you are not listening..

Gamewise she is having better year than either Dementieva or Kournikova. In terms of match results - she is also better than them. But in Race to LA account she is behind, because she is playing only high Tiers and losing mostly in early rounds there. Her run of good form may come at end any moment, and she didn't score.

The cat, when those boards was filled with people who were only interested in discussing mostly Anna's alleged relationship with Enrique, her roles in his clips, her cameo appearance in that stupid J. Carry movie, her photos in magazines, etc, I left. You know, I am interested only in her game, which, at its best is very pretty. As to the other merits, I'd prefer looks of Myskina to looks of Kournikova any day.

TheBoiledEgg
May 1st, 2002, 04:14 AM
I've never been anywhere near that Anna site and don't intend to.

Nastya just gets a bad draw always one of the best players in either rd 1 or 2 :(

Nastya had a good record over Elena, but Elena has won last two meets now, still i also feel if she did play Bol she would have done pretty good and probably won it in her form.

today she just ran out of steam after that long Fed Cup match, interesting the German players got another day rest. (well it is in Hamburg)

tenn_ace
May 1st, 2002, 05:24 AM
.Anastasia's main problem is her head. that's where she needs improvement and fast. I know that she knows that. I heard her coach (and dad, as far as I know) was talking about this to Landsrop (sp??), Maria's coach, about it. Landsrop is quite fond of Nastya's talent. But her head.

If Nastya doesn't break through before the end of this year with a good win over top 10 player and/or good performance at GS, she'll become just another top 30-40 player.

Cat, I never posted anywhere on any other board except for Sanex one and here. I like this one and intend to stay only here.:wavey:

Cassius
May 1st, 2002, 03:00 PM
I only posted a couple of times on the AnnaK.org board, before I got removed.
Sorry, I'll never go anywhere near the site again. But it was before I knew about this board.

I agree with tenn_ace. ButElena D has had a couple of big wins over big players and she's still hanging on in the top 20.
When Elena beat Venus in FED Cup 1999, there was no pressure because it was a meaningless match (Russia had already lost) and no-one had heard of Elena so she wasn't expected to win, so she could just play how she wanted and enjoy it.
When she beat Hingis in Kremln Cup 2001, Hingis wasn't exactly at her best was she?
And Kournikova and Elena have both reached the semi-finals of a grand slam, so having have good run in a slam and beating a top player is no guarentee of success.
But Elena and Anna haven't repeated their grand-slam success since they both became famous.

CB
May 1st, 2002, 05:42 PM
ys - i agree, it makes a lot of sense.

she should be, instead, earning titles and 50 points each tournament - instead of 1 or 10 because of early losses.

but she will only really improve her tennis if she keeps playing the bigger tournaments, to get more experienced and learn how to play the big babes.

so it's also a smart decision by her and her coach.

the best thing should be: alternating bigger and lower events, until she cracks the top 20. she has game and level for that.

go Natsya! :bounce: :kiss:

ys
May 1st, 2002, 06:29 PM
but she will only really improve her tennis if she keeps playing the bigger tournaments, to get more experienced and learn how to play the big babes.

The problem is that this way losses become casual routine for her. She'll get used to losing. She won't get a winner's mentality. You can get a winner's mentality by winning, not by losing. I could argue that first loss to a big player could be useful, the second one too. But when you do it every week, what's a point?

CB
May 1st, 2002, 06:39 PM
:o You're so intelligent :p

You've said it all... let's send mass mails to Natsya asking her to play lower events ;)

CB

auntie janie
May 1st, 2002, 06:51 PM
I agree with CB's notion that Stassy should alternate big and small events. Look how Elena D. chose to play in Acapulco rather than Scottsdale, and chose Bol over Hamburg.

The big and the small offer different benefits to a rising player -- and IMO Anastasia needs both those types of opportunities to keep improving.

the cat
May 1st, 2002, 08:12 PM
Janie, you are right on target about Myskina's schedule. Which is par for the course! Yoy are always on target! Except where Anna K. is concerned! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
May 2nd, 2002, 04:24 AM
Nastya did go and play Doha and Dubai where it was slightly easier.

She will play in Birmingham Tier III

I'm sure she will play some smaller events as well but after Wimbledon she will only play big events in US apart from maybe Sopot.