PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Lena should do?

Veritas
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Lena has moved up to #8 in the Race ladder as of now, and I'm happy that she's managed to qualify for a spot at the YEC for the 6th consecutive time.

But do you think it was unusual for Lena to have suddenly crammed so many tournaments into her schedule recently?

Before the indoor season, she has taken long periods of either rest or training before committing to a tournament. For example, after the Pan Pacific Open, she didn't turn up to the indoor tournaments in Europe or participate in the ones at the Middle East.

And it didn't stop there. Lena took it easy during the clay season, and (correct me here if I'm wrong), the only tournaments she entered into were Charleston and Rome. For the hardcourt season, unlike Kim, Lena didn't overdo her schedule and committed herself to 3 tournaments before the USO.

I think this spreading-out helped her results this year.

2005 so far has been the most consistent season Lena's had. And we Lena fans know very well that inconsistency has been one of the most frustrating parts of Lena's game. I reckon by taking things a bit easier this time round, Lena had more opportunities to practice on ironing out the kinks in her game. Match practice is nice, but I think it's training and time-off that made a difference.

But recently, it's been unusual to see Lena cramming things in just so she can have a shot at qualifying for the YEC. A lot of posters have said that she looked very tired after her match in Linz. And Lena did mention wanting to go home and take a rest so she can recover for the next season.

Do you think that the recent tight schedule will affect Lena's result next season? Is it better for Lena to stop straight after Advanta and grab as much off-season time as she could so her body can recover?

Dementinator
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:58 PM
unfortunately she has no choice ,or she will be stung for $125,000 for a no show ,plus its not in elenas nature ,she should go ,if shes fails ,so be it ,she tried ,if not ,well a few wins would be great stuff!

Veritas
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
$125,000 isn't that much, considering Lena has a prize pool of over $5,000,000. And that's just from her oncourt earnings.

Chunchun
Nov 5th, 2005, 12:21 AM
well since she has qualified, of cuz she should go to LA and try to win :cool: :D

*or else she will get fined :p*

parn2257
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I think she will be ok. She alway do well when she play with a great player.
it should be fun to see her play

Dementinator
Nov 5th, 2005, 08:17 AM
true ,Elenas now got winnings of $6 million and with sponsorships ,apperance fees etc ,shes prob worth around $50 million by now ,,they say what ever the prize money is ,you can times it by 10 for the whole total ,but Elena wants to play ,its one more week ,she looked in absolute super condition when i watched the match ,I havent seen a fitter ,stronger looking girl on WTA ,and prob a few guys on ATP soon ,the girl is 6 feet of solid muscle ,so i dont think she will be too tired,a few wins would be fantastic and boost her ranking points ,she can then have 6 weeks off, relax ,and train etc ,Elenas very physical girl ,and couldnt see her sitting on her ass fro 6 weeks!

JC Federer
Nov 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM
This is a no brainer...

If you qualify and don't go, you get fined, and slapped on the wrist.

Justine's withdrawal drew a lot of ire, believe me. She had to hold a press release to try and stem it, to no avail.

She she go to LA. She wouldn't have even gone to Philly if she didn't intend to play the YEC.

SloKid
Nov 5th, 2005, 08:29 AM
What a silly thread.
To even think Lena would work her ass of and then consider not playing in LA :shrug: :lol:
And Justine will have to come to LA to help promote the event anyway, so she didn`t get off the hook that easily I think.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:01 PM
The objective must be to win in phila and to try to finish 6 in the world after the YEC , and I think that Elena is able to do it

Gooo for it , NUMBER 6

Veritas
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I guess I should've been a little more specific - although I don't think anyone bothered to read every word in my first post :)

What I'm trying to say is that Lena's cramming in of indoor-season tournaments might be a setback for her.

I think part of the reason why she was able to be so consistent this year is because of the way she's planned her schedule. It's been more spread out, and obviously focused on giving her body enough time to recover.

We all know what her indoor schedule's been like. And taking a break while the YEC's on might've been a better choice. Those 'breaks' have worked well for her so far - who's to say it won't be as productive for next season?

Anyway, I don't have an opinion on this, which is why I haven't said anything overly specific.

...and couldnt see her sitting on her ass fro 6 weeks!

And to think that players from left to right are complaining about the off-season being too short...

SloKid
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
If she were to stop and take a rest she should have done it after Linz, not after Philly and not after clinching the YEC place.

P.L.B.
Nov 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Of course she must play. It only adds a few more days to her season and then there is still plenty of time to rest.

Dementirilenko
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I think Lena should play L.A. She once said that it is her goal during every season to reach the Championschips, so I think she should play there.

Paco
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM
For sure playing in LA. There is no different way.

Well I see that everybody think like that. Well done guys.

Mathijs
Nov 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Well at least not quitting the YEC, now she has qualified for it, she must play it as well..