PDA

View Full Version : I need some tennis tip for tomorrow ;)

Alek
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Hello, I dont usually post this but since tomorrow is important I did ;)
I start a tennis tournament tomorrow, is a mini cup format. (1 doubles + 2 singles)

We're seeded first since my ranking somehow hasn't gone down in my category (5 categories, im in the fourth (1 being the better etc)). I haven't done good this year in results, though my game has improved a lot.

Anyways I was finalist in this tournament last year and me and my partner choked in the final :sad:.. It's a round robin format, group of 5 teams and 2 pass to the final. We won all our ties last year and lost the final (Well I won all my matches, he lost all his singles and we both lost all in the final).

Anyways, this year, seems its tougher, since for some reason, a guy who trains there, who is ranked 17th in the 18year old rankings (less than 19, more than 17) in the state is playing :scared:. I tend to suppose he's partner sucks since he should be playing in the 2nd category and 1st one, not in the fourth.

My partner is different than the one last year, we have played 3 times, I won the 3 of them, but is one of the better players in my category. We havent played ever together, so the doubles will be tough.

So here it goes. What should we do. I was thinking on really giving the 100% on doubles to try to win and me to face the weakest (if we win the coin flipping), so we could assure a win.

Now, I think we can win the doubles. But if we lose, should we take the risk and me face this guy who is very good and try to give a surprise? :tape: or me face the other so we at least lose 1-2 and have better point difference in the group.

LOL, but also a good match against this guy could mean to put my self in the map. Since they only focus in very few (3 to be especific, one of them is him)

We trained together 1 year ago like for 2 months. He has improved a lot since then. In case I face him what do you people recomend?

I have a very good forehand, my best weapon by far. Semi good forehand, I usually don't get aced since I have a good movement. I hate moonballing, and semi-decent on the net. My first serve is hard and flat, my second usually in, no doubles faults.

He plays very very hard, and has good serve. Appart from that not much since its quite inconsistent.

I think that if I play really agressive I can have a chance, else I will lose.

So? ;) What do you think? I also think he has more pressure not to lose than me.

If we lose the doubles, try to beat him? or secure a win. And if we win the doubles, face the weakest or try to win the tie 3-0.

Still I think that unless we get other surprising teams :p we should be able to make the final but... I don't trust much after today :p

btw,

Go Schnyder & Verdasco tomorrow! :p

Alek
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Sorry for the long history of my life ;)

Scotso
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Well if he's playing in such a lower category, his partner must be really poor... so maybe your partner can beat his and you will get a point anyway. If you lose the doubles, you should just go for it.

But yes, if you win the doubles, you should play the weaker player to secure the win. Obviously make sure in the doubles that you and your partner only hit to the weaker player. ;)

spencercarlos
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Hello, I dont usually post this but since tomorrow is important I did ;)
I start a tennis tournament tomorrow, is a mini cup format. (1 doubles + 2 singles)

We're seeded first since my ranking somehow hasn't gone down in my category (5 categories, im in the fourth (1 being the better etc)). I haven't done good this year in results, though my game has improved a lot.

Anyways I was finalist in this tournament last year and me and my partner choked in the final :sad:.. It's a round robin format, group of 5 teams and 2 pass to the final. We won all our ties last year and lost the final (Well I won all my matches, he lost all his singles and we both lost all in the final).

Anyways, this year, seems its tougher, since for some reason, a guy who trains there, who is ranked 17th in the 18year old rankings (less than 19, more than 17) in the state is playing :scared:. I tend to suppose he's partner sucks since he should be playing in the 2nd category and 1st one, not in the fourth.

My partner is different than the one last year, we have played 3 times, I won the 3 of them, but is one of the better players in my category. We havent played ever together, so the doubles will be tough.

So here it goes. What should we do. I was thinking on really giving the 100% on doubles to try to win and me to face the weakest (if we win the coin flipping), so we could assure a win.

Now, I think we can win the doubles. But if we lose, should we take the risk and me face this guy who is very good and try to give a surprise? :tape: or me face the other so we at least lose 1-2 and have better point difference in the group.

LOL, but also a good match against this guy could mean to put my self in the map. Since they only focus in very few (3 to be especific, one of them is him)

We trained together 1 year ago like for 2 months. He has improved a lot since then. In case I face him what do you people recomend?

I have a very good forehand, my best weapon by far. Semi good forehand, I usually don't get aced since I have a good movement. I hate moonballing, and semi-decent on the net. My first serve is hard and flat, my second usually in, no doubles faults.

He plays very very hard, and has good serve. Appart from that not much since its quite inconsistent.

I think that if I play really agressive I can have a chance, else I will lose.

So? ;) What do you think? I also think he has more pressure not to lose than me.

If we lose the doubles, try to beat him? or secure a win. And if we win the doubles, face the weakest or try to win the tie 3-0.

Still I think that unless we get other surprising teams :p we should be able to make the final but... I don't trust much after today :p

btw,

Go Schnyder & Verdasco tomorrow! :p
If he is inconsistent, find a way to be more consistent than him and make him pay from his errors. If he plays hard, i tend to assume he loves the hard hitting battles (as normally a big hitter likes), so try to play deep instead of going for on everyshot, move him around and try to draw the errors. If you feel that this strategy is not working, well then try to be agressive on your own. But my first advice is to try to be more consistent.
Hugs and Good LUck ;)

Mattographer
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Keep giving him on his weakness ;) and in doubles, giving the weakest of two all the time ;)