PDA

View Full Version : Exactly 5 Years Later, Peschke Reaches Linz SF AGAIN. Will Reach New Career High Rank

pierce0415
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:27 AM
5 years ago to the week, Kveta reached a career-high ranking of No. 33 on October 30, 2000 after reaching Linz SF (d. world No. 7 Tauziat for second Top 10 win and No. 16 Mauresmo)

Now she defeats No. 8 Lena D and will be at least No 31 next week

Chunchun
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:29 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :woohoo: Kveta :banana: get a seeding at AO! :worship:

Shonami Slam
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:30 AM
yep :)
it's been a lovely reaniscance not only for pierce :)

martinafan
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:09 AM
congrats to Kveta! :hearts: She's just a great player and one of the nicest players as well!

I'm so proud of her with her comeback this year!!!! To reach a career high at the age of 30 is great!

Now go and beat Nadia! :D

vogus
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:39 AM
come on Nadya, kick Pesky's ass and get through to the final.

Pesky is basically a player who came out of nowhere (she was gone from the tour for like 3 years) and so the other girls don't really know how to play against her yet. Once they figure her game out most of the players in the Top 50 will be able to handle her on a regular basis.

Calimero377
Oct 29th, 2005, 05:21 AM
it's been a lovely reaniscance not only for pierce :)

And if we consider how the bar has been raised and the game has moved on in the last 5 years!

switz
Oct 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM
And if we consider how the bar has been raised and the game has moved on in the last 5 years!

it's funny how you claim Steffi winning Roland Garros at close to 30 was a "sign of greatness" and other girls achieving great results later in their career as a sign of a lower quality of tennis :confused"

vogs, Kveta is a very good player. I don't know if you saw her match against Elena but she was playing magificent top 10 tennis. There's nothing to work out about her game to beat her because she moves well and hits flat and deep - she just beats herself sometimes and her age may become a factor.

Calimero377
Oct 29th, 2005, 06:25 AM
it's funny how you claim Steffi winning Roland Garros at close to 30 was a "sign of greatness" and other girls achieving great results later in their career as a sign of a lower quality of tennis :confused"

vogs, Kveta is a very good player. I don't know if you saw her match against Elena but she was playing magificent top 10 tennis. There's nothing to work out about her game to beat her because she moves well and hits flat and deep - she just beats herself sometimes and her age may become a factor.

Although Graf won FO 99 she was over-the-hill already. So was so good that she NEVERTHELESS was able to compete with Hingis, Davenport, Seles at the top.

Kveta is NOT a very good player. You just have to take a look at her record. 6 years ago the aforementioned over-the-hill Graf thrashed her with 6-2 6-1. Some years before that she was beaten up by young German journeywomen on the challenger tour. Players like her and Likhovtseva, Sugiyama, Farina Elia, Asagoe, Suarez and - on a higher level - Davenport, Pierce, Schnyder are proof how women's tennis has sunk or at least stagnated in the last 5-10 years.

They all have improved as 30-somethings?
Yadda-yadda-yadda ......

DanWoody
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Kveta is a very good player, also tactically.

She seems to me a bit nervous in close moments of the match; if she can bring that into movement and not thinking she could surprise us all even more. Although against Petrova who is an attacking player too, it will be difficult.

LefandePatty
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:28 AM
:yeah:

CooCooCachoo
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Pesky is basically a player who came out of nowhere (she was gone from the tour for like 3 years) and so the other girls don't really know how to play against her yet. Once they figure her game out most of the players in the Top 50 will be able to handle her on a regular basis.

I appreciate your comments, but this is just far-fetched. The experienced Top 50 players will all know how to play against Kveta, whereas the youngsters can do their research ;) It's the same as saying that Ivanovic is only in the Top 30 because people don't know how to play against her; you just completely deny their talent.

Well done Kveta :yeah: You have a Top 20 game, in my opinion. Keep rising :hearts:

-Sonic-
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Nice one Kveta :D

And no, the top 50 will not figure out her game and beat her all the time. with that and cali both stepping in, the thread got a lot more silly :-p

Calimero377
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Nice one Kveta :D

And no, the top 50 will not figure out her game and beat her all the time. with that and cali both stepping in, the thread got a lot more silly :-p

Did I mention already that Steffi Graf - far over-the-hill and with reconstructed knee - rag-dolled peak Peschke in 1999 with 6-2 6-1? :hehehe:

richie boy
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Dear Calimero377

In the hope of calming your fevered brain a little can I assure you that NOBODY is claiming Kveta is better than Steffi, NOBODY is claiming the Kveta at her best could ever beat Steffi at her best and NOBODY is claiming that Steffi is not the greatest player of all time.

With that in mind please leave this thread in peace, crawl back into the sordid little grief hole of your obsession and resume masturbating over the life size poster of Steffi you have pinned on your bedroon wall, apparently that is the only point of your existence.

Thank you and good afternoon.

Dexter
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I love it! Go Kveta, beat Nadia and enter Top30 for the first time!!! :D

Grachka
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Dear Calimero377

In the hope of calming your fevered brain a little can I assure you that NOBODY is claiming Kveta is better than Steffi, NOBODY is claiming the Kveta at her best could ever beat Steffi at her best and NOBODY is claiming that Steffi is not the greatest player of all time.

With that in mind please leave this thread in peace, crawl back into the sordid little grief hole of your obsession and resume masturbating over the life size poster of Steffi you have pinned on your bedroon wall, apparently that is the only point of your existence.

People, you do realise that if you keep feeding Calimero, he'll never die.

Bubba08
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
So many women play/played well when they are/were 30, experience seems to prevail :)

esquímaux
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:55 PM
it's been a lovely reaniscance not only for pierce :)*renaissance??? :angel::p

esquímaux
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I agree with the Pierce renaissance. Mary's got me totally :hearts::drool::bigclap::yeah:

charmedRic
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Allez Kveta!

new-york
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:28 PM
those stories are always nice to hear.

cometz9
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Kveta...so glad to see her back on tour after some time off from injuries

Irish
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
congrats to Kveta! :hearts: She's just a great player and one of the nicest players as well!

I'm so proud of her with her comeback this year!!!! To reach a career high at the age of 30 is great!

Now go and beat Nadia! :D

My sentiments also. :yeah: :worship:

MLF
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I shared a table with Kveta in Pizza Hut, Wimbledon, a few years back due to it being really busy so we agreed to squeeze up and have to say she was really lovely & chatty. I've always kept an eye out for her so it's good to see her doing well. She moves pretty well and hits a lovely, clean ball. She's a top 30 player for sure when on her game. She just has to avoid sloppy results to maintain her new ranking imo.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I ate a gigantic pizza all to myself in Pizza Hut whilst Kveta was very well behaved and had a salad bowl.

Ellery
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Yay for Kveta!

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Dear Calimero377

:awww:
:awww: :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship: :haha: :haha: :haha:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I appreciate your comments, but this is just far-fetched. The experienced Top 50 players will all know how to play against Kveta, whereas the youngsters can do their research ;) It's the same as saying that Ivanovic is only in the Top 30 because people don't know how to play against her; you just completely deny their talent.

Well done Kveta :yeah: You have a Top 20 game, in my opinion. Keep rising :hearts:

Very good point! :D :bounce:

Scotso
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:15 AM
congratulations, Kveta! :D

LucasArg
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I hope she gets the best ranking ever, she deserves it.

Go Kveta!!! :wavey:

Calimero377
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Dear Calimero377

That from someone who tells us in his signature that Molik and Sprem are "on the move" in 2005 .... :lol:

BTW, I don't have any posters of tennis players on my walls. I prefer Miró, Klee and Hopper. :wavey:

dinhd82
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Steffi wouldn't have won that many slams in this day and age baby. Neither would Navratilova or Evert, and the other "greats". The power game would have done them all in for sure, she still would have won some but not as many thats for sure. How would a steffi of any year do against the Williams sisters (at their healthiest), and the belgians...esp Henin who's 1-handed BH is far better then Steffi's.

Mr_Molik
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM

which one of ur faves did kveta beat :awww:

Lemonskin.
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Dear Calimero377

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Calimero377
Oct 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Steffi wouldn't have won that many slams in this day and age baby. Neither would Navratilova or Evert, and the other "greats". The power game would have done them all in for sure, she still would have won some but not as many thats for sure. How would a steffi of any year do against the Williams sisters (at their healthiest), and the belgians...esp Henin who's 1-handed BH is far better then Steffi's.

Over-the-hill Graf (with reconstructed knee) outplayed and outhit 19-year-old super-athlete Venus Williams in Wimbledon 1999 qf. Graf overtook Williams in the rankings that year as well.

Even in her peak years (2000/03) Venus lost to journeywomen on a regular basis.
In 2000 against Coetzer (3-6, 4-6), Dokic (1-6, 2-6), over-the-hill Sanchez.
In 2001 she was belted by Hingis at AO (1-6, 1-6), lost to Maggie Maleeva in 2 sets, was thrashed by Henin with 1-6, 4-6, lost to Shaughnessy.
In 2002 she lost to far-over-the-hill Seles, "Fatty" Testud and again to Maggie Maleeva.
In 2003 Shaughnessy ambushed her again, Zvonareva as well.

Graf on the other hand had 11 great years (1986-96). In those she lost 51 matches: 11 against Sabatini, 8 against Sanchez, 7 against Navratilova, 4 against Seles, 3 against Novotna, 2 against Evert, 2 against McNeil, 2 against Pierce and only one against Mandlikova, Shriver, Garrison, Capriati, Provis, Martinez, Coetzer, deSwardt, Date, Hingis, Davenport.
Only McNeil, Provis and deSwardt never were top 4 players during their careers. Only McNeil, Provis, deSwardt, Coetzer and Date never made a slam final.

Face it: In her best ELEVEN years (1986-96) only FIVE players who never made a slam final in their careers were able to beat Steffi Graf.

Venus had Coetzer, Dokic, Testud, Zvonareva, Shaughnessy, Maleeva in her best 3.5 years ...

Dexter
Oct 30th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Dear Calimero377

Thank you and good afternoon.I love it :eek: :lol:

dinhd82
Oct 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Over-the-hill Graf (with reconstructed knee) outplayed and outhit 19-year-old super-athlete Venus Williams in Wimbledon 1999 qf. Graf overtook Williams in the rankings that year as well.

Even in her peak years (2000/03) Venus lost to journeywomen on a regular basis.
In 2000 against Coetzer (3-6, 4-6), Dokic (1-6, 2-6), over-the-hill Sanchez.
In 2001 she was belted by Hingis at AO (1-6, 1-6), lost to Maggie Maleeva in 2 sets, was thrashed by Henin with 1-6, 4-6, lost to Shaughnessy.
In 2002 she lost to far-over-the-hill Seles, "Fatty" Testud and again to Maggie Maleeva.
In 2003 Shaughnessy ambushed her again, Zvonareva as well.

Graf on the other hand had 11 great years (1986-96). In those she lost 51 matches: 11 against Sabatini, 8 against Sanchez, 7 against Navratilova, 4 against Seles, 3 against Novotna, 2 against Evert, 2 against McNeil, 2 against Pierce and only one against Mandlikova, Shriver, Garrison, Capriati, Provis, Martinez, Coetzer, deSwardt, Date, Hingis, Davenport.
Only McNeil, Provis and deSwardt never were top 4 players during their careers. Only McNeil, Provis, deSwardt, Coetzer and Date never made a slam final.

Face it: In her best ELEVEN years (1986-96) only FIVE players who never made a slam final in their careers were able to beat Steffi Graf.

Venus had Coetzer, Dokic, Testud, Zvonareva, Shaughnessy, Maleeva in her best 3.5 years ...

None of the players Steffi was up against were big hitters. Davenport owned her in Wimby final at her favorite surface miind you, lucic almost took her out in previous round. Graf would have pouted her way through every match against healthy & fit Serena. She never played clisters of today, nor henin of the french open.

Calimero377
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
None of the players Steffi was up against were big hitters. Davenport owned her in Wimby final at her favorite surface miind you, lucic almost took her out in previous round. Graf would have pouted her way through every match against healthy & fit Serena. She never played clisters of today, nor henin of the french open.

You obviously are very young (1982?). So you didn't watch peak Graf of 88/89. Most probably not even Graf of 95/96.

In 1998/99 Graf was far over-the-hill. She had bad losses to journeywomen (Appelmans, Kournikova, Sugiyama, Halard, Schnyder, Serna). NEVERTHELESS she was able to fight with the best for the big titles.
She beat Davenport (#2), Seles (#3) and Hingis (#1) at FO.
In the Davenport match she won with 107-86 on points-played. Lindsay - #1 at year's end - was thoroughly out-played.
The Wimbledon final between both players was far closer (although 2 sets).
Davenport won with 70-67 on points played. Both players had 2 break points. Lindsay did convert hers, Steffi didn't. If that is "owning" in you book it only shows how low your standards are. Graf fans have far higher standards when they speak of "owning".

Graf LOVED to play power hitters. With today's equipment she would thrash them all. But even with her old racket from the 90ies she would chase all those "big babes" from left to right, would confuse them with stops, lobs, volleys, slices - and then kill them in the end with her high-velocity PIN-POINT forehand (that was no sense-less ball-bashing back then as you see it from today's "power hitters"!).

You may have overlooked that Graf - a 36-year old mother of 2 kids - recently played #16 Likhovtseva in an exhibition match (a 1-setter). She lost -but only in the tie-break ... What do you think a 26-year-old Steffi with her usual practice schedule would do with those Likhovtseva types? Right, she would beat them to pulp. Of course she would lose a match here and there to Clijsters, Enna or Davenport. As she lost matches even in her heyday.

But the greats of the past (Court, Evert, Navi, Graf) had FAR more talent than any of today's players). Not even talking only about Graf - just think why Navratilova was able to beat the then #21 player (Panova) and take a set off peak Hantuchova in 2002. Martina was 45 years old.

Forty-five ...

Provide 36-year-old grandma Steffi with a nanny for her kids, make sure her knee is OK, give her a racket, let her train for 6 months (like Rocky Balboa in "Rocky III") and then let her loose on the WTA tour. NO tennis expert would doubt that she would be a top10 player even today. IMO, she would be even top5 and a still a contender for winning a slam. She would not be better than a healthy Enna or a peak Serena of course - but she would kick ass bigtime.

dinhd82
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Get it through your think head, big hitters of yesteryears are nothing compared to today.

Steffi couldnt even take a set off of Lindsay in the final, that is owning...haha!! Being handcuffed by Lindsay's serve all match long, that is owning! Steffi is lucky to have lived and peaked during an age when it wasnt big hitting big babe tennis. Much like Evert did in her time, and Navratilova, put them at their peaks now adays? much different story, i mean steffi had trouble with Hingis at age 15, and she aint no big hitter.

Calimero377
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Get it through your think head, big hitters of yesteryears are nothing compared to today.

Steffi couldnt even take a set off of Lindsay in the final, that is owning...haha!! Being handcuffed by Lindsay's serve all match long, that is owning!

You standard obviously is very low.
We Graf fans had a different meaning to this word back then.
Only having two break points in the whole match and winning by a squeaker margin of 70-67 on points-played didn't qualify in the Golden Age of Tennis for "owning". But to each his own ...

dinhd82
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
But to each his own ...

LOL