PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters reveals her 2006 schedule up to Wimbledon...a tough one!

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.sport.be/kimclijsters/eng/nieuws/kimsdagboek/

Kim's DiaryLooking forward to next season 27-10-2005

I just submitted at the WTA my schedule for the first half of next season. Meanwhile I am enjoying the nice extra's at the Gaz de France Stars tournament.

I will start my new season at an exhibition tournament in Hong Kong on the 3rd of January. So I can still spend the festive season at home! Hong Kong also is en route to Australia, so I can already largely adapt to the jet lag. It's an easy start, although some top players will be there like the Williams sisters and Davenport.

Then Sydney follows and of course the Australian Open. In February, I'll be back home to play in Paris first and right after that the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp. Soon after that, I'll leave for the States for the tournaments of Indian Wells and Miami. I'd like to keep my clay season as short as possible, for it puts a lot of pressure on my wrist: Warsaw, Rome maybe and then Roland Garros. After that Eastbourne and Wimbledon.

But right now the Gaz de France Stars in Hasselt where I experienced some real fine moments in the last couple of days. Like the Evian Kids Day on Sunday: not only fun to do so, but every year again I enjoy these kids and how they have fun. And the coffee and pie afternoon with the elderly. I was surprised to see how these people were enjoying it so much and when Dana Winner began to sing I got tears in my eyes. And of course the great show by farmer Jef. Fantastic! And many thanks again to Bob Verbeeck and his team who always manage to organise something special and who always make it waterproof.

Great as well what Kirsten and Els achieved! For Kirsten I'm happy that after so many months of injuries she can finally play again. And clearly Callens can still play very well! I'll be playing doubles with her and it's a pity the two of us will have to play against Kirsten and Caroline Maes, but all the more exciting for the Belgian audience. I hope to see you all, like on Wednesday at my match against Bychkova!

Best,
Kim

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
So it's:

Hong Kong
Sydney
Australian Open
Paris
Antwerp
Indian Wells
Miami
Warsaw
Rome
Roland Garros
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

No wonder players get injured seeing this kind of schedule playing all over the world in just 6 months when you are expected to reach the final rounds in all of them :help:

Hoping she'll be #1 after all and no injured...

Mercredi
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
So it's:

Hong Kong
Sydney
Australian Open
Paris
Antwerp
Indian Wells
Miami
Warsaw
Rome
Roland Garros
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

No wonder players get injured seeing this kind of schedule playing all over the world in just 6 months when you are expected to reach the final rounds in all of them :help:

I won't count Honkong since it is a two matche thing and more of an exhebition.
Then it's 12 tournaments in 6 months an average of 2 tournies a moth including three slams, not that heavy, pretty normal.

jonny84
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm sure she will get to #1, with no point to defend in Australia and Paris! Then she will have to work hard to defend her points from Miami and Indian Wells!

Nicjac
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Then it's 12 tournaments in 6 months an average of 2 tournies a moth including three slams, not that heavy, pretty normal.

And especially compared to Misa's schedule (posted before).

Well, she's prob #1 at the end of the year, gotta concentrate on the big points :worship:

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM

That's not normal at all for a top player (let alone Kim with all her health problems)...no top player has played that many tournaments up to Wimbledon this year and this includes Sharapova & Mauresmo who are always playing A LOT!

Bubba08
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
clever schedule :)
Can you get the schedule of others players :)

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
And especially compared to Misa's schedule (posted before).

Yeah, right...OZ Open, IW, Miami, RG, Wimbly...can you really compare how much these two girls will play in these tournaments? Misa can get into a fourth round with luck once in all these tournaments (don't take me wrong, that's a big accomplishment for a young player like her) while Kim will surely get to semis (at least) in most of these tournies.

hingis-seles
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Remove Paris, Warsaw and Eastbourne. The schedule is fine without those three.

pierce0415
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
clever schedule :)
Can you get the schedule of others players :)

Justine's schedule (what I think)

Australian Open
Antwerp :eek:
Miami
Charleston
Warsaw
Berlin
French Open
Wimbledon

hablo
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.sport.be/kimclijsters/eng/nieuws/kimsdagboek/

Then Sydney follows and of course the Australian Open. In February, I'll be back home to play in Paris first and right after that the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp. Soon after that, I'll leave for the States for the tournaments of Indian Wells and Miami. I'd like to keep my clay season as short as possible, for it puts a lot of pressure on my wrist: Warsaw, Rome maybe and then Roland Garros. After that Eastbourne and Wimbledon.

Best,
Kim
that highlighted word means maybe this is a tournament she might skip :shrug:
anyhow, players sometimes change their schedules during the season, no ?? :p

cheo23
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Justine's schedule (what I think)

Australian Open
Antwerp :eek:
Miami
Charleston
Warsaw
Berlin
French Open
Wimbledon
No Sydney,No Dubai, No Indian Wells :eek: :sad:
I guess she really wants to play fewer tournaments:sobbing:

Nicjac
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, right...OZ Open, IW, Miami, RG, Wimbly...can you really compare how much these two girls will play in these tournaments? Misa can get into a fourth round with luck once in all these tournaments (don't take me wrong, that's a big accomplishment for a young player like her) while Kim will surely get to semis (at least) in most of these tournies.

You are right. But I do believe that Misa will really try to make an impression in 2006. So fourth round isn't enough - anymore.

She stilll needs the points (Kim doesn't) to get up in the ranking.

On that thought - we shouldn't compare the schedule of a top ten player with the schedule of an up and coming player! Thx for pointing that out.

Pengwin
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Clijsters will win most of her matches 6-1 6-0 or something and she's not travelling with a coach any more so she can use the extra matches as coaching.

JonBcn
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Sod her schedule, who is this 'Farmer Jef' and what does his show consist of? - that's what I want to know

xin_hui
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
So it's:

Hong Kong
Sydney
Australian Open
Paris
Antwerp
Indian Wells
Miami
Warsaw
Rome
Roland Garros
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

why is it tough? HK is just an exhibition. and she's only playing 2 warmups before RG. wanna bet the majority of the players will play more? she always plays a warmup before wimby, so what's wrong with playing eastbourne?

and what is meant by "all over the world"? that is just how the tennis season works, it isnt as if she's the only player travelling from oz-europe-usa:rolleyes:

i'm sure she knows her body alot better

manu
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
That seems like a pretty tough schedule, but I think this is more or less a normal schedule for Kim. However, if I was allowed to advise her, I would like to see her skip at least Paris and Warsaw. I hope her body will be able to take this amount of tournaments *fingers crossed for you Kim* :yeah: ;)

On the other hand, if she is able to play all these tournaments, I hope she firmly reduces her usual summer schedule! Otherwise, she's really going to put herself in danger physically... Though let's just trust Kim, she knows best what she can (and can't) take! :)

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM
wanna bet the majority of the players will play more?

Place your bet. You're gonna lose it :angel:

Not Clijsters nor any top 5 is gonna make Wimbledon her 12th (not even 11th) tournament...maybe Mauresmo, but I don't think so.

lauryn
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I don't think it's that bad, we know she's only gonna a few more years, let her enjoy the game and make up her own schedule, if she feels it's too much, she can still skip a tournament

But Kim, what the hell?! Dana Winner :help:

xin_hui
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Place your bet. You're gonna lose it :angel:

Not Clijsters nor any top 5 is gonna make Wimbledon her 12th (not even 11th) tournament...maybe Mauresmo, but I don't think so.

i meant the clay season....she's playing a considerably lighter schedule than most of the top players would

i will bet with u people like elena d and schnyder or even JHH will play more clay tourneys

spiceboy
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:38 PM
she's not travelling with a coach any more so she can use the extra matches as coaching.

Sorry, but that's the most stupid thing I've read today...and hey, I've been in wtaworld for 2 hours now :devil:

Kim is playing WTA Tour level and any player in a GS, Tier I & II (tournies Kim will play) can give you a hard time any given day. Isn't Peng your fave btw?

LeRoy.
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM
well its her last couple of years on the tour. She might as well do as she wants though i hope she has thought about her health before choosing this schedule :shrug:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM
well its her last couple of years on the tour. She might as well do as she wants though i hope she has thought about her health before choosing this schedule :shrug:

I would get rid of either Hong Kong or Sydney, but don't play both. I would get rid of Warsaw as well.

Hong Kong
Australian Open
Paris
Antwerp
Indian Wells
Miami
Rome
Roland Garros
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

Slumpsova
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM
well you know Kim :rolleyes: :lol:

itzhak
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM
NOT FED CUP? The 1/4 will be before Rolland Garros so no Justine and no Kim against Russia...It will be embarassing for the belgians

Oneofakind0490
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Typical Kim:rolleyes:

FaceyFacem
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
this is a reasonable schedule in my mind...i'd probably play a tier 1 over a tier 2 clay event (maybe charleston over warsaw?) then i think its fine...i'd expect kim to be #1 after australia...although she may get it before

RAA
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:53 PM
You are right. But I do believe that Misa will really try to make an impression in 2006. So fourth round isn't enough - anymore.

who the heck is misa???????????

Nicjac
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:58 PM
who the heck is misa???????????

Well, watch Hasselt!

pierce0415
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I thought Kim WAS playing Fed Cup

and why is clay hard on Kim's body? Isn't supposed to be the easiest surfact to play on? At least it is for other players

Dexter
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Kim's gonna play in Warsaw :D

Andrew..
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Lolz. And Kim was swearing earlier that this year she'd only be playing the big events.

Brαm
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Lolz. And Kim was swearing earlier that this year she'd only be playing the big events.
(Hong Kong - exhibition)
Sydney - Tier II, only big WTA tournament before Oz Open
Australian Open - slam
Paris - Tier II
Antwerp - Tier II + home tournament
Indian Wells - super Tier I
Miami - super Tier I
Warsaw - Tier II
Rome - Tier I
Roland Garros - slam
Eastbourne - Tier II + biggest grass tournament before Wimbledon
Wimbledon - slam

The only tournament I would drop is Paris (Indoors) :)

Hagar
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I think it's an excellent schedule. Not too heavy, not too light. Glad to hear she won't play too many tournaments on clay.

Meesh
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I was hoping to go to Bausch & Lomb at Amelia Island, FL
I want to go this year and see a great draw!!!!

starr
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM

and why is clay hard on Kim's body? Isn't supposed to be the easiest surfact to play on? At least it is for other players

Clay is easier on the lower body joints. However, Kim said not that clay was hard on her body, but hard on her wrist. This is because there are long rallies and the balls get heavy on clay too.

Pengwin
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry, but that's the most stupid thing I've read today...and hey, I've been in wtaworld for 2 hours now :devil:

Kim is playing WTA Tour level and any player in a GS, Tier I & II (tournies Kim will play) can give you a hard time any given day. Isn't Peng your fave btw?

I'm having a bad day ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think it's an excellent schedule. Not too heavy, not too light. Glad to hear she won't play too many tournaments on clay.

Agree. Looks like a normal and sensible schedule to me. Most players will play 10 to 15 tournaments in the first half of the year. 11 is definately not over doing it.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I dont mind it but 11 is much for the 1st half

terjw
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM

In this article http://www.teamwta.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=685&Itemid=2 Kim mentions she's left gaps in her schedule for the Fed Cup hopefully playing with Justine :confused: . In another fairly recent diary entry http://www.sport.be/kimclijsters/eng/nieuws/kimsdagboek/article.html?Article_ID=102940 Kim mentioned the Fed Cup again and that she'd heard Justine wouldn't be playing Fed Cup and cast doubt about playing if Justine wasn't there too. :confused: She also says she'd skip Warsaw or Berlin anyway and it would allow her to play in the Fed Cup.

So I think the Fed Cup is the reason she said maybe Rome. I can't tell now from these conflicting reports whether she'll be playing in the Fed Cup or not. Can anyone shed any light on this? If she does play in Fed Cup I'm sure she won't play both Warsaw and Berlin.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM
11 is much

Rub
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM
that's fine!

njnetswill
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:04 AM
The schedule looks fine to me. Maybe take out Warsaw.

Xanadu11
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Kim's coming to Sydney :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I don't think Kim will take out Warsaw they gave her a wc last year so she probably wants to go back as a slam champion to help the tournament and thank them for this year.

I think Kim may have actually got her clay season schedule right for once, 2 warm ups and then RG and a week off between each of them:)

fammmmedspin
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:27 AM
So it's:

Hong Kong
Sydney
Australian Open
Paris
Antwerp
Indian Wells
Miami
Warsaw
Rome
Roland Garros
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

Actually by most standards thats a standard schedule. Its hard on the least active players but less than most of the top 20 will play.

Its pretty smart and has gaps in it in sensible places.

HK is an exhibition which she could easily miss but otherwise she has a warm up for each GS. She has a break after the AO, avoids the middle east, swings to Europe does only 2 US tournaments and then as she says plays a linited schedule before the FO. That leaves a couple of warm ups for the USO, a couple of indoor tournaments and the YEC and she is still at tournament 18.

terjw
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I don't think Kim will take out Warsaw they gave her a wc last year so she probably wants to go back as a slam champion to help the tournament and thank them for this year.

I think Kim may have actually got her clay season schedule right for once, 2 warm ups and then RG and a week off between each of them:)

Naomi: In that case do you think she'll play at Berlin? These are the latest statements she's made about what she'll be doing at this time and it doesn't quite tie up. Well not to me - I must say I'm a bit confused:

In her most recent diary on 27 October she announced her schedule as posted in this thread. Note she said maybe Berlin.
In her diary entry on 6 October - she said she wouldn't play both Warsaw and Berlin. She also mentioned that would allow her to join the Fed Cup team but then said there was no point in playing in the Fed Cup with Justine not playing.
In a recent article she said she'd left gaps in her schedule so she could play in the Fed Cup - hopefully with Justine. This was said a long time after Justine's announcement that she won't play in the Fed Cup next year. So why is she saying "hopefully with Justine"?
What do you think?

xin_hui
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Naomi: In that case do you think she'll play at Berlin? These are the latest statements she's made about what she'll be doing at this time and it doesn't quite tie up. Well not to me - I must say I'm a bit confused:

In her most recent diary on 27 October she announced her schedule and posted in this thread. Note she said maybe Berlin.
In her diary entry on 6 October - she said she wouldn't play both Warsaw and Berlin. She also mentioned that would allow her to join the Fed Cup team but then said there was no point in playing in the Fed Cup with Justine not playing.
In a recent article she said she'd left gaps in her schedule so she could play in the Fed Cup - hopefully with Justine. This was said a long time after Justine's announcement that she won't play in the Fed Cup next year. So why is she saying "hopefully with Justine"?
What do you think?

she said she wouldnt play warsaw and berlin. so it's quite obvious she's chosen warsaw over berlin. remember that kim has been injured the past 2 years she's been at berlin....one reason for her not to go back

i think she's hoping that justine will be persuaded to play fed cup. if justine doesnt, she might not

terjw
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
she said she wouldnt play warsaw and berlin. so it's quite obvious she's chosen warsaw over berlin. remember that kim has been injured the past 2 years she's been at berlin....one reason for her not to go back

i think she's hoping that justine will be persuaded to play fed cup. if justine doesnt, she might not

OK - I think I'm being a bit thick here but I think it's perhaps this then:

Ideally she hopes Justine can be pursuaded to play Fed Cup - in which case she'll definitely skip Berlin.
She may play Fed Cup even if Justine doesn't play - in which case she'll skip Berlin.
She may skip Berlin even if she doesn't play in the Fed Cup - but she's changed her mind from 6 October about definitely not playing both Warsaw and Berlin - she'll definitely play in Warsaw and she'll probably play in both.

xin_hui
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM
OK - I think I'm being a bit thick here but I think it's perhaps this then:

Ideally she hopes Justine can be pursuaded to play Fed Cup - in which case she'll definitely skip Berlin.
She may play Fed Cup even if Justine doesn't play - in which case she'll skip Berlin.
She may skip Berlin even if she doesn't play in the Fed Cup - but she's changed her mind from 6 October about definitely not playing both Warsaw and Berlin - she'll definitely play in Warsaw and she'll probably play in both.

no. she is NOT playing berlin. it has nothing to do with fed cup. she is NOT playing. it isnt stated in her schedule, with or without fed cup

she hasnt changed her mind about warsaw and berlin from whenever. she said before she wouldnt play BOTH warsaw and berlin, so now she's chosen warsaw over berlin

CooCooCachoo
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Eastbourne :rolleyes: :p

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM
seems pretty good hope she can win at oz open for a great start to the season.

terjw
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
no. she is NOT playing berlin. it has nothing to do with fed cup. she is NOT playing. it isnt stated in her schedule, with or without fed cup

she hasnt changed her mind about warsaw and berlin from whenever. she said before she wouldnt play BOTH warsaw and berlin, so now she's chosen warsaw over berlin

Sorry I'm being a bit stupid today. I mistook Rome for Berlin. Yes - she said maybe Rome. All is now clear - sorry. :o

~|Naomi|~
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry I'm being a bit stupid today. I mistook Rome for Berlin. Yes - she said maybe Rome. All is now clear - sorry. :o

Yeah she said maybe Rome. I think she will probably play Rome otherwise she will have 3 weeks off before RG.

The only thing I don't really like is Sydney, wish she'd drop that and have the week off and go to Melbourne early and just pracitce.

xin_hui
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah she said maybe Rome. I think she will probably play Rome otherwise she will have 3 weeks off before RG.

The only thing I don't really like is Sydney, wish she'd drop that and have the week off and go to Melbourne early and just pracitce.

i agree with u, but she's always played sydney (except for year 2000 in hobart)

~|Naomi|~
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM
i agree with u, but she's always played sydney (except for year 2000 in hobart)

So she should change it now:)

charmedRic
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
It's not that bad. She'll be fine. I'm sure. :)

saphir1
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I'm sad she is not coming to Berlin :sad:
(we have been so nice to her)

Vut
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
:hearts: