PDA

View Full Version : The race for YEC- Venus withdrew from Philly

itzhak
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
...Now Elena and Nadia can pass her. Nadia need very good result in Linz and she is playing in Philadelphia. Elena said after her defeat in Linz that she give it up for YEC, but now her chances are still there. She will have to play in Philadelphia but there is no news about her in Philadelphia...

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

why did she withdraw!!

damn man. im soo gutted!

KimC&MariaSNo1's
i dont think that Venus will play anyway if she gets there or not.

Munchen
Go Elena :kiss:

Stephieva
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
methinks Vee and Juju won't play...
That means Lena and Nadia could both be qualified....:hehehe:

But then...if they still play, Nadia has a great chance to end up at #8...
Lena gotta pass both Vee and Nadia..
Her chance is quite slim 'cos Nadia is still in Linz...
If Nadia loses tonight [which is unlikely], then Lena has chances...:o

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
where does it say?

i need an article!!!???

itzhak
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
where does it say?

i need an article!!!???
www.philly.com

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
huh, where bouts on that article does it say like?

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:50 AM
i cant find it anywhere?

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:50 AM
yeh both Venus And Henin will both not play.

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
found it.

auntie janie
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
omg, Venus. :( So, once again, no V, no S, for us in Philly. :(

But more surprising than her withdrawal is the fact that I actually expected that she might really show. The truth is, over the years, both Venus and Serena have consistently played very, very little between the US Open and the YECs (regardless of what they commit to in advance). So why should this year be any different? But for some reason, every year, I think it WILL be different. :(

Enjoy your fun charity Tour, Venus. At least SOMEBODY still gets to see you play. :(

Paneru
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
found it.
Where?

Don't see anything.

TomTennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Where?

Don't see anything.

sorry i should have said.

you have to search for it.

just type in Venus or Venus Williams in the earch box and it comes up. You cant read the artcile cos its for members only, you could sign up but i couldnt be bothered.

the title and first sentence of the article sum it up pterry much though....

"Williams out, Mauresmo in at Villanova"
By Ben Watanabe / For The Inquirer

Venus Williams withdrew from the Advanta Championships yesterday as she continued recovering from a left-knee injury, according to an event representative.

tenn_ace
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Venus :sad: , hopefully she'll be ready for YEC.

Linnie
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13016109.htm

Posted on Fri, Oct. 28, 2005

http://www.philly.com/images/common/spacer.gifWilliams out, Mauresmo in at Villanova
http://www.philly.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By Ben Watanabe
For The Inquirer

Venus Williams withdrew from the Advanta Championships yesterday as she continued recovering from a left-knee injury, according to an event representative.
Williams' withdrawal was offset by the addition of the defending Advanta champion, Amelie Mauresmo of France, and Elena Dementieva of Russia.

The tournament will take place next week at the Pavilion at Villanova, and will be some players' last chance to qualify for the WTA championships, to be held next month in Los Angeles.

lizchris
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM
If Venus isn't playing Philly:sad: , then I think she isn't playing in thr YEC. Why would she even bother?

tenn_ace
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:02 PM
so Elena is in Philly? :eek:

selestribe
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13016109.htm

Posted on Fri, Oct. 28, 2005

http://www.philly.com/images/common/spacer.gifWilliams out, Mauresmo in at Villanova
By Ben Watanabe
For The Inquirer

Williams' withdrawal was offset by the addition of the defending Advanta champion, Amelie Mauresmo of France, and Elena Dementieva of Russia.

The tournament will take place next week at the Pavilion at Villanova, and will be some players' last chance to qualify for the WTA championships, to be held next month in Los Angeles.

LENA in Philly ... :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Great news

manu
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Superb! Lena still not giving up on that YEC spot! :yeah: I really hope she can play well in Philly :) A pity Venus isn't playing though...

alfajeffster
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Well, I enjoyed the match last year between Venus and Amelie, but this doesn't surprise me at all. I am disappointed, but not surprised. The Williams sisters have a history of shunning Philadelphia. I guess I'll have to make the trek down to Baltimore where the Pam Shriver money draws flies. I'll be going to the Philly tourney next Friday, and am really looking forward to seeing two nobodies in the semis... again.

WF4EVER
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Why would anyone expect Venus to play the YEC after she withdrew yet again from another tournament is beyond me. Venus needs to get her shit together and stop using her damn knee as an excuse to pull out of every tournament when she knows the reral reason for her withdrawals is her other commitments.

I'm so tired of Venus' lackadaisical behaviour to tennis. I guess winning WImbledon was good enough for her. I hope next year she makes some commitment one way or the other.

Stop committing to tournaments and promising fans you'll be there then withdrawing at the last minute. That is just ridiculous.

I can't remember Venus withdrawing from so many tournaments in one year. It was okay when she got injured in 2003 because she had that abdominal injury but she stayed out till the end of the year which was wise. But I don't believe Venus is injured with a knee just like I never bought that story about her having the flu during the summer. She needs to get her act together.

kaki
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Why would anyone expect Venus to play the YEC after she withdrew yet again from another tournament is beyond me. Venus needs to get her shit together and stop using her damn knee as an excuse to pull out of every tournament when she knows the reral reason for her withdrawals is her other commitments.

I'm so tired of Venus' lackadaisical behaviour to tennis. I guess winning WImbledon was good enough for her. I hope next year she makes some commitment one way or the other.

Stop committing to tournaments and promising fans you'll be there then withdrawing at the last minute. That is just ridiculous.

I can't remember Venus withdrawing from so many tournaments in one year. It was okay when she got injured in 2003 because she had that abdominal injury but she stayed out till the end of the year which was wise. But I don't believe Venus is injured with a knee just like I never bought that story about her having the flu during the summer. She needs to get her act together.

I do understand that you're upset but,there's no reason to be that angered against Vee,may be it's just a way to rest more and to be more fresh next year,what do you think is better for her,to play more tournaments and there for to be not enough rested or to take some months out and to come back next year fully healed and strong?
Just take your time Vee.I love you

Veenut
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I think the only way she plays the YEC is if she is forced to. I believe she is still having knee problems but to what extent I don't know. She might be hoping that she doesn't qualify for the YEC and that would free her of the obligation. This event will be reduced to just another tournament.

Get well for AO Vee!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever...but invite her and her sister to the opening of an envelope and they will show...Why commit to fall stuff if you NEVER attend...:rolleyes: I'm sorry...I just dont buy the injury stuff...:shrug:

Aquanetta
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever...but invite her and her sister to the opening of an envelope and they will show...Why commit to fall stuff if you NEVER attend...:rolleyes: I'm sorry...I just dont buy the injury stuff...:shrug:

I couldn't agree more and this is coming from someone whose favorite player is Serena. "Whatever" pretty much sums it up.

Paneru
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Who cares if yall don't like it! :p

Venus is taking care of Venus and if she
feels she's not yet fit enough to play then
she's just not ready.

"She needs to get her act together"

And yall need to find something
else to do in your lives!

If Venus showed up at Philly not right
and lost early yall be the first to bitch!

It's so comical!

These people have seen how injury has dogged Venus
and bitched at times when she played hurt and should
not have. Has seen what injury has done to Serena
and then because they're tired of waiting question
her injury, Fuck That!

Don't like it then go on,
Venus didn't ask you for shit!

Love ya, but she
doesn't live for you or to please you!

Take all the time you need Venus and get
to your full strength!

If I don't see ya' at the YEC, then
until next year. Stay well! :kiss:

alfajeffster
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
The great and powerful Yaweh has spoken...

cheo23
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:03 PM

:yeah: :lol:

cheo23
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
I guess they prefer going to an award show than playing tennis in the fall :lol:

alfajeffster
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Madeline Ashton on receiving an invitation to Helen Sharpton's book party: "she goes to the opening of an envelope":lol:

wendell
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Hey guys I'm not a V or S fan but i find it very difficult to be a V or S fan. I know players have injuries but I think most of us know what is going on here. I think we are about to see the last of them. They do not seem to be interested in playing and supporting their fans!! I went to charelston this year and i was glad i arrived when i did because the first match i watched was venus losing to golovin. Don't get me wrong golovin is a good player. I just think venus is just showing up at tournaments just to travel a little and shop for her business. Now i am a Juju fan and it is killing me to see her withdraw also. I support V and S outside interest but where they are now is from playing in the women's tennis tour and they are letting the tour and thier die hard fans down by not showing up and all this withdrawing nonsense!! My question is why sign up for tournaments when they know they are not going to play. Sorry for the harsh words!!! But the proof is in the pudding!!!

-VSR-
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I am fucking pissed, and I am sick and tired of getting my hopes up on Venus. It sucks, and I think I may need to find someone else I enjoy to watch since I can never see Venus play, she will still be one of my fav's, but... I don't know... I am just so pissed right now...

venus_rulez
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Interesting to note that most of the complaining in this thread is by people who can't even decipher the difference between attending an award show and running from side to side on a tennis court. Coincedence? I think not.

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM
The YEC will be a :yawn: now. Lindsay, Kim, Maria, Amelie, Mary, Patty, Elena and Nadia.

:zzz:

wendell
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Hey VenusSernaRock!! I feel for ya!! I would. I was a Momo fan for a while and would be her biggest fan but with her withdrawls and nerves it's hard to put faith that she can come thru. V and S seem to be taking their fans for ride that just isn't fun. Grant it when they play and win like ausie and wimbelton proves they donot need to play as much. They should think of their fans more espically american fans. Bet her fans in philly are dissappointed. Oh well enough about this. Jump on the Ivanovic or Vaidisova band wagon.They are the future!!!

kaki
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM

she's just not ready.

It's so comical!

her injury, Fuck That!

Love ya, but she

to your full strength!

:worship:

WF4EVER
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I have no problem with Venus and Serena having outside interests. Come on they are human beings and they are young vibrant women, but there behaviour towards tennis is very questionable. Some of their "injuries"? Injuries, my ass.

Their ability to disappoint paying fans has been outstanding as has these convenient injuries.

Serena undoubtedly has had a very rough year; maybe partly due to her own poor judgment but it has definitely shown in her results that she needs some rehab, etc. I wish Venus would stop lying about being injured because I don't believe for a minute that she is, but if she wants to have the rest of the year off, why not just make an announcement that you will not be playing becuase you don't feel physically capable and would instead use the time to prepare for the new season?

I would so much prefer to hear the truth from Venus once in awhile than to be told lie after lie.

It's obvious Venus doesn't care about her career. If she did and if she had any respect for the fans that support her she wouldn't mislead them all the time. I have no problem with her taking time off if she needs it but don't say you're gonna show up when you clearly have no intention of doing so.

As a business woman I'd expect her to have learned to handle things like this in a mor eprofessional manner but I guess when you're rich you don't have to care about professionalism.

I don't smell retirement in Venus' near future but if she wants to play a limited schedule, she's free to do so, just don't say you're going to play and then cancel at the last minute. This is just bad PR.

Come on, Venus, 2006 is coming. Restore the faith of those fans who's admiration and respect you are losing.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Some of you Williams fans need to stop acting like you're in a fucking cult...Take your heads out your ass and admitt that they have flaws...they are not interested in the very thing that got them where they are...Dont say you are gonna play and then use some bullshit excuse when the time comes...I love them both but I am not a worshiper. Then they show up and play...lose early and come up with all sorts of excuse why they lost...it's because you dont play enough...:rolleyes:

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
It must be so, since the Great all-knowing Cam'ron Giles said so....

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM
It must be so, since the Great all-knowing Cam'ron Giles said so....

Stef...we have always gotten along...dont start with me...I have been a Venus fan since she was a kid and still am...Let me be disapointed and criticize if I want...I will still be sitting infront of the TV chain smoking next season everytime she plays...so back off...:rolleyes:

venus_rulez
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Some of you Williams fans need to stop acting like you're in a fucking cult...Take your heads out your ass and admitt that they have flaws...they are not interested in the very thing that got them where they are...Dont say you are gonna play and then use some bullshit excuse when the time comes...I love them both but I am not a worshiper. Then they show up and play...lose early and come up with all sorts of excuse why they lost...it's because you dont play enough...:rolleyes:

Oh please. No one's arguing they are perfect, and you know that. What we're arguing is that you know no better than anyone else if she is telling the truth about her injuries or not. You're pretending as if you KNOW she is lying. You don't know if she is or not and does it really matter how or why she says she isn't playing it all results in the same SHE ISN'T PLAYING. And as a final note, if Venus were "honest" as you say she should be and said I am not playing the rest of the year and prefer to concentrate on my other interests" you'd be bitching about that and how she should be playing anyway. It's a lose/lose situation, that's why she always has and continues to do what she wants.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM
And thats the great thing about message boards...we can all share our opinion...:D

marmite1
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:39 PM
If she knows shes not up for its good that she has withdrawn and given other players a shot.

RAA
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM
boo.. I wanted to see her.
oh well.

easy come easy go..

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Stef...we have always gotten along...dont start with me...I have been a Venus fan since she was a kid and still am...Let me be disapointed and criticize if I want...I will still be sitting infront of the TV chain smoking next season everytime she plays...so back off...:rolleyes:
You're a cool kid and I like you, me disagreeing with you doesn't change that. I admit I was a little catty but that's more of a reaction to how vocal you've been lately with your criticisms of Serena (particularly).

Some of you Williams fans need to stop acting like you're in a fucking cult...Take your heads out your ass and admitt that they have flaws...they are not interested in the very thing that got them where they are...
Quotes like this don't exactly invite the warmest of replies. When Serena repeatedly says that tennis is a priority who are we to say that she's lying. I know the automatic thinking is that if something is truly important to you than you do everything in power to be the best you can be. Well we all know Serena is guilty of NOT doing this and I wont pretend that she does. She admits herself that she doesn't like to practice a lot and that she sometimes doesn't listen to the doctors advice. There are tons of things that are important to both you and I and I bet there a quite a few were we both don't give 100% and do everything that in our power to be the best we could be- we're humans. And this holds true for Serena as well. People tend to be overly critical and take out their frustrations with her being injured and unfit and throw it back at her in the form of anger. And sometimes, from my point of view anyway, you've done that. I take her at face value and believe she loves tennis and loves to compete and wants to be back. Just becuase I still believe her intentions are good doesn't mean I have my head in the sand and I'm clueless...sometimes peeps (including you) make it seem as though if we aren't totally fed up with her then we're just in denial, it's more complicated than that.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM
You're a cool kid and I like you, me disagreeing with you doesn't change that. I admit I was a little catty but that's more of a reaction to how vocal you've been lately with your criticisms of Serena (particularly).

Quotes like this don't exactly invite the warmest of replies. When Serena repeatedly says that tennis is a priority who are we to say that she's lying. I know the automatic thinking is that if something is truly important to you than you do everything in power to be the best you can be. Well we all know Serena is guilty of NOT doing this and I wont pretend that she does. She admits herself that she doesn't like to practice a lot and that she sometimes doesn't listen to the doctors advice. There are tons of things that are important to both you and I and I bet there a quite a few were we both don't give 100% and do everything that in our power to be the best we could be- we're humans. And this holds true for Serena as well. People tend to be overly critical and take out their frustrations with her being injured and unfit and throw it back at her in the form of anger. And sometimes, from my point of view anyway, you've done that. I take her at face value and believe she loves tennis and loves to compete and wants to be back. Just becuase I still believe her intentions are good doesn't mean I have my head in the sand and I'm clueless...sometimes peeps (including you) make it seem as though if we aren't totally fed up with her then we're just in denial, it's more complicated than that.

I respect your opinion...I just wish they were as dedicated as some of the other girls...maybe just selfish on my part...but I still believe that they need to remember that when the tennis headlines stop...people are gonna be like..."Venus and Serena who? "

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I respect your opinion...I just wish they were as dedicated as some of the other girls...maybe just selfish on my part...but I still believe that they need to remember that when the tennis headlines stop...people are gonna be like..."Venus and Serena who? "
It's funny cuz I'm online having this same discussion with my bf and he's saying exactly what you're saying...lol I get the frustration, hello I was a Steffi fanatic!! I wish Serena had that focus that Steffi had. Could you imagine what Serena would be like if she took the same approach to tennis that Steffi took.... It's a scarry thought, but the bottom line is that Serena is Serena and she does things her way. I believe she still loves tennis and loves competing (as I already said) and I believe she has goals in her tennis career and she's going to work hard to achieve them. Her work ethic might not be like some of the other girls, but her talent isn't like their either- that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you view things. One last word.... the record is not over- like the Pheonix, she will rise again. (OK I'm done being overly dramatic...lol)

Rocketta
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Expectations are a thing of beauty......just because you have them for someone else doesn't mean the person agrees to them. I don't understand if you know that Venus and Serena pull this every year but yet you still hold them to your own expectations...and then get pissed when they do what's best for them and don't live up to your expectations....I don't get it. Seems to me if you can't handle the pull outs then save yourselves....you sound miserable being their fans...really. Do what makes you happy. That doesn't mean you can't critisize them it means shouldn't you do what's best for you if something makes you miserable why continue to follow it? :confused:

Now that's my opinion on it. bummer Vee won't play but on to the YEC or next year.

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Expectations are a thing of beauty......just because you have them for someone else doesn't mean the person agrees to them. I don't understand if you know that Venus and Serena pull this every year but yet you still hold them to your own expectations...and then get pissed when they do what's best for them and don't live up to your expectations....I don't get it. Seems to me if you can't handle the pull outs then save yourselves....you sound miserable being their fans...really. Do what makes you happy. That doesn't mean you can't critisize them it means shouldn't you do what's best for you if something makes you miserable why continue to follow it? :confused:

Now that's my opinion on it. bummer Vee won't play but on to the YEC or next year.

Vee aint playing next year? :unsure:

bellascarlett
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:41 PM
The YEC will be a :yawn: now. Lindsay, Kim, Maria, Amelie, Mary, Patty, Elena and Nadia.

:zzz:

Umm...well maybe for you but not for others who are rooting for players not named williams. Plus, having venus at YEC does not guarantee more exciting matches especially with her so called injury and lack of play nowadays. At least with this lineup, we'll be seeing players who have the desire to win the championships and who are grateful to be there.

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I just as much as anyone know how the sisters are. There are sometimes they probably could play a tournament, but decide to skip it. There have also been times they have wanted to play tournies so bad that they ignored their doctors orders and coaches wishes just to play. The dilemma in this is that how can we know which times they are really forced out of a tourney by injury and when they use an injury just cause they may not feel up to playing a tournament. You can't bash them after every withdrawal and you can't defend them after everyone either. If you're a sisters fan then this should be no surprise to you. There's no reason to be getting all pissy just cause they disappointed you by withdrawing. No one was complaining when they withdrew from a tourney during their domination periods, so why now?

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Umm...well maybe for you but not for others who are rooting for players not named williams. Plus, having venus at YEC does not guarantee more exciting matches especially with her so called injury and lack of play nowadays. At least with this lineup, we'll be seeing players who have the desire to win the championships and who are grateful to be there.

This is supposed to be an exclusive type field, but someone like Petrova will be there. Enough said. Venus cried after having to withdraw from a WTA championships, I doubt she doesn't have the desire to win the champs. You must remember Venus has been burned before by coming back from injury too soon.

bellascarlett
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Well I don't like Petrova to be there either because she has not at all proven her worth as a top 10 player, but like I said, Venus being there this year does not guarantee she'll be playing better than Petrova and giving the audience championship worthy matches. I am just addressing the part wherein you said this year's YEC would be boring. You're obviously a Venus fan, so to you it's understandable that the YEC has somehow lost it's appeal.

Dana Marcy
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Eventhough Venus won Wimbledon, 2005 feels like an incomplete, unsatisfying year from this fan's perspective. :(

new-york
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM
This is supposed to be an exclusive type field, but someone like Petrova will be there. Enough said. Venus cried after having to withdraw from a WTA championships, I doubt she doesn't have the desire to win the champs. You must remember Venus has been burned before by coming back from injury too soon.

:worship: :worship:

fammmmedspin
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:41 PM
its probably the system and the rules about when your sick note has to be written but it would be far better if Venus and Juju actually said they wouldn't be going to the YEC and stop the people in 9th and 10th places having a needless race to get there. Its pretty incredible that either would turn up ready to play after this time out and its even more incredible if they are suddenly fit for LA a week after missing a whole surface of the tour not and being unfit for Philly.

moon
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Well, I was hoping Vee would play next week, then the YEC, but it's looking more like the year is over for her. Boo hoo.

I don't see why people are working themselves into a lather over this. She's been having knee problems for weeks. Whenever there are injuries in the air, I just wait and see whether she shows up on court or not. :p

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:12 AM

she's just not ready.

It's so comical!

her injury, Fuck That!

Love ya, but she

to your full strength!

:worship:

TomTennis
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:25 AM
well i dont have time to read all the posts....actually scratch that, i do, but i really cant be arsed!

i just wanna say i will support Vee no matter what!