PDA

View Full Version : Who enjoys watching little players driving big hitters insane?

Prizeidiot
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Reading the thread about taking sadistic pleasure in seeing helpless players get overpowered, I realised that one of the things I've always found most entertaining is a smaller player, with less power, outwitting a power player. For example, watching Fabrice Santoro driving Marat Safin crazy every time they play (8-1 head to head, Marat describes having to play Fabrice like "being told I'm going to die) is quite an entertaining experience.

It's something that Martina Hingis used to do a lot, and despite her on court behaviour, I couldn't help but admire her cleverness, and the overall subtlety to her game. Unfortunately, it's a much rarer occurrance on the women's tour nowadays with a large emphasis being placed on big hitting.

The closest thing to it that I can remember in recent times off the top of my head was Serena Williams playing Emilie Loit in the first round of the 2003 Australian Open. Serena was at the peak of her powers, and no one thought it would even be competitive. However, the match turned out to be a 3 set thriller, and a match that Emilie could've won had she not realised who she was playing. She hit a high percentage of well placed, first serves, hit wickedly low slices, forcing Serena into error, and swung her lefty topspin forehand away from Serena's backhand.

It was certainly the best first round women's match I've ever witnessed. The next day there were articles discussing whether "the humble little French woman" had finally discovered a chink in Serena's invincible armour with her slices. Emilie won the audience (including myself) over that day, but unfortunately, I don't think she's ever played that well again.

If anyone also enjoys seeing the little guys win, or remembers a case of this happenning on the wta tour, feel free to discuss.

Jakeev
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Reading the thread about taking sadistic pleasure in seeing helpless players get overpowered, I realised that one of the things I've always found most entertaining is a smaller player, with less power, outwitting a power player. For example, watching Fabrice Santoro driving Marat Safin crazy every time they play (8-1 head to head, Marat describes having to play Fabrice like "being told I'm going to die) is quite an entertaining experience.

It's something that Martina Hingis used to do a lot, and despite her on court behaviour, I couldn't help but admire her cleverness, and the overall subtlety to her game. Unfortunately, it's a much rarer occurrance on the women's tour nowadays with a large emphasis being placed on big hitting.

The closest thing to it that I can remember in recent times off the top of my head was Serena Williams playing Emilie Loit in the first round of the 2003 Australian Open. Serena was at the peak of her powers, and no one thought it would even be competitive. However, the match turned out to be a 3 set thriller, and a match that Emilie could've won had she not realised who she was playing. She hit a high percentage of well placed, first serves, hit wickedly low slices, forcing Serena into error, and swung her lefty topspin forehand away from Serena's backhand.

It was certainly the best first round women's match I've ever witnessed. The next day there were articles discussing whether "the humble little French woman" had finally discovered a chink in Serena's invincible armour with her slices. Emilie won the audience (including myself) over that day, but unfortunately, I don't think she's ever played that well again.

If anyone also enjoys seeing the little guys win, or remembers a case of this happenning on the wta tour, feel free to discuss.

Love watching Anna Smashnova play. She normally gets overpowered on faster surfaces, but on the slower courts, she knows she has some sort of chance to do well and fights rather hard.

switz
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Patty drives most of the young generation insane. i'll never forget her match against the then no.1 Capriati in the semis of Charleston 02 - she had no idea how to counteract Patty variations in spin and angles. Similar to her match against Sharapova this year in Rome.

tennisrox
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Patty drives most of the young generation insane. i'll never forget her match against the then no.1 Capriati in the semis of Charleston 02 - she had no idea how to counteract Patty variations in spin and angles. Similar to her match against Sharapova this year in Rome.

I know.Isn't she a witch? :devil: Her latest bunny is Ana.

dinhd82
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I still marvel at how a player like hingis beat all of those big hitters. it is a given those players should beat hingis, they have so much more power and weapons than hingis...it's just basic physics..., but when hingis beat them...mann...even Richard Williams marvels at how someone who seemingly does not have that much to give was able to win just about everything...pure magic!

DutchieGirl
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I was a fan of Coetzer... I think that says it all! :angel:

butch
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I was a fan of Coetzer... I think that says it all! :angel:

Indeed... beat 3 world No 1's in her time... Graf (1995, 1997), Hingis (1997), Davenport (1999)... and a couple of former world no 1's ... Seles, V Williams, Henin, Mauresmo, Sanchez-Vicario, Capriati....

Jakeev
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I still marvel at how a player like hingis beat all of those big hitters. it is a given those players should beat hingis, they have so much more power and weapons than hingis...it's just basic physics..., but when hingis beat them...mann...even Richard Williams marvels at how someone who seemingly does not have that much to give was able to win just about everything...pure magic!

Yeah until those big hitters got even bigger, stronger and began treating Hingis like a rag doll on court......

"Sluggy"
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Best thread of the year year, koodos to the thread-starter.

I think Cyril Saulnier on the french side is like that, he hasnt got much of a serve. Id asume judging from the way the Americans dislike him that Julien Benneteau is a similar pain in the ass. maybe on the womens side Cara Black has this effect. I dont know though.

I suppose my little Fighter Camille Pin is one of these as well.

DutchieGirl
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Indeed... beat 3 world No 1's in her time... Graf (1995, 1997), Hingis (1997), Davenport (1999)... and a couple of former world no 1's ... Seles, V Williams, Henin, Mauresmo, Sanchez-Vicario, Capriati....

:bounce: :worship: ;)

I'm also a fan of Schnyder, so I guess I do like a good mix of players! :D

dinhd82
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah until those big hitters got even bigger, stronger and began treating Hingis like a rag doll on court......

so are players all 7 ft now or sumthing? i would say hingis got weaker, less mentally tough. becuz even the biggest of hitters cannot be ON all the time.

BUBI
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Me :wavey:

BUBI
Love watching Anna Smashnova play. She normally gets overpowered on faster surfaces, but on the slower courts, she knows she has some sort of chance to do well and fights rather hard.
Me too.

Kunal
i liked watching aranxta sancehz vicario frustrate steffi graf. i always rooted for aranxta.

ummm, who else?? can't believe i forgot the name of the other small player....she was small but she was strong....she was from south africa if im not mistaken, i think she retired a few years ago.

For some reason the name anke huber comes to mind but i know that its probably not her.

Can someone tell me who im talking about?

Grachka
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Its quite special when one of the power beasts are drawn against one of the 'flair' players when the latter is playing out of their mind. The Loit-Serena match was immense, it was brilliant to see such opposing styles collide and Emilie executed her gameplan to perfection. Her slices caused Serena all sorts of problems. Did Serena have a warning for swearing like a drunken banshee? I believe she did. Pure frustration. It was a damn shame Emilie didn't pull it out, but it was a great match nevertheless.

On Saori's side, she doesn't have quite the pure variety of Loit, but the best match i've seen her play against a big hitter was against Bovina at Wimbledon 03'. Having initially been totally overpowered to go 5-1 down, she began to use her speed around the court and some incredible angles to get back into the match. Bovina started to get impatient and lost her range, and was forced into huge errors at crucial moments. Eventually, Saori's fitness betrayed her, she lost 3 MPs and then the match 6-8 in the third. Again, supreme match.

Jakeev
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:23 AM
so are players all 7 ft now or sumthing? i would say hingis got weaker, less mentally tough. becuz even the biggest of hitters cannot be ON all the time.

I don't agree. After 1998, we saw Lindsay get in better shape, the Williams sisters come into their own and the remergence of Jennifer Capriati.

The tour basically caught up to her and fast.

Bubba08
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM
There 's also Sania Mirza who is quite small, but she hits lot of winners :D

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Hingis was immensely talented and was an amazing striker with angles and all that is why she won everything in sight when she got injured and lost alot of her mental toughness she then started losing it.

Darop.
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Me :D

Darop.
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
There 's also Sania Mirza who is quite small, but she hits lot of winners :D

She's a hard hitter though

RedCap999
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM
ohhhh me!!! i dodoooooooo

auntie janie
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I do love watching the little ones drive the giants insane! Oli Rochus, Henin-Hardenne (who is even smaller than Hingis), Hingis herself of course, Santoro, Grosjean, Clement, to name a few. :D

But for some reason I DON'T feel the same way about Lleyton Hewitt! :p

griffin
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Id asume judging from the way the Americans dislike him that Julien Benneteau is a similar pain in the ass.

I don't know - I saw him play Santoro a while ago. In that match-up her definitely came off as the big hitter being driven nuts by the small and wiley. Or maybe he just seemed a big hitter compared to Fabrice ;)

And speaking of Loit - one of the most enjoyable matches I ever got to watch was Loit beating Alex Stevenson at the USO. Alex was doing her usual "hit hard - wait, that didn't work..I know, I'll hit harder!" routine, and Loit was driving her (and a fair number of spectators, who didn't understand how someone with such a "dinky serve" could be beating Big Bad Alex) CRAZY. The nerve of her! She kept getting her raquet on the ball and making Alex move! :lol:

borisy
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I think Loit is an extremely talented player but she never performed close to her potential and this year has been disastrous. I also like Olivier Rochus.

Spunky83
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I was a fan of Hingis and well you know my current faves, so...YES!!!

crazillo
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Loit, Mandula, Maggie, Arantxa, Date, Sugiyama....

V.Melb
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Mandula? are you kidding me?
Petra Mandula lined the ball up and struck it as hard as Lindsay herself! surely you have never seen Petra Mandula play tennis....I have seen Mandula play many times, each time she has hit she sh*t out of the ball... big heavy flat groundies - nothing more, just big ass groundies.... i suggest u go watch one of her matches, she practically overpowered Capriati and Dokic before.... and has not struggled playing the likes of Venus and Lindsay based on power alone.

butch
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM
ummm, who else?? can't believe i forgot the name of the other small player....she was small but she was strong....she was from south africa if im not mistaken, i think she retired a few years ago.

Amanda Coetzer

DragonFlame
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:58 PM
yeah i like this too! justine whiping the floor with everyone on clay is just great :lol: :worship: :D i love it, a good example was kuzzie's face after justine won at the french :tape: justine is just a great little player who can kick some butt :devil:

pcrtennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I Love It!

RenaSlam.
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I loved it when Serena beat Loit at the 2003 AO.

Great times.

Irish
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Me. :D

I loved watching Smashnova and Coetzer in action. :D

K-Dog
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Great times.

That match gave me a heart-attack!! I hated watching that match live, it scared the shit out of me.

iPatty
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM
At Charleston this year, Patty played Vaidisova. She made her look like a fool. Vaidisova didn't know what to do so she hit it as hard as she could and was surprised when it went WAY out. She would yell at her coach and then slump around the back of the court. One time Patty turned around and started laughing :lol:. Patty just frustrated her to death and ended up winning 6-3 6-2 :o :lol:

LUIS9
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:17 AM
I know.Isn't she a witch? :devil: Her latest bunny is Ana.

I know poor Ivanovic, I thought she had a pretty good chance at upsetting Patty. But then I realized oh no Pattys angles and spins would drive Ana crazy. :lol:

auntie janie
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Great times.

:lol:

Aerien
Oct 29th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Same here.
My favorite player is ASV because she was able to acheive so much despite not being the biggest or hardest of hitters. :)

Indeed, also a fan of: Loit (AO '03 was what did it for me too), Coetzer, Hingis, Ad. Serra-Zanetti, etc.

Justine beating Serena at Charleston 6-4 6-3 was fun. :angel:

Derek.
Oct 29th, 2005, 05:17 AM
At Charleston this year, Patty played Vaidisova. She made her look like a fool. Vaidisova didn't know what to do so she hit it as hard as she could and was surprised when it went WAY out. She would yell at her coach and then slump around the back of the court. One time Patty turned around and started laughing :lol:. Patty just frustrated her to death and ended up winning 6-3 6-2 :o :lol:

You just love to rub in Patty's torturing of younger players. ;)