05 3033 Amelie Mauresmo
06 2936 Justine Henin-Hardenne
07 2771 Patty Schnyder

The top five ARE set.

Which leaves the wildcard up for grabs.

08 2628 Venus Williams
09 2530 Elena Dementieva
10 2471 Nadia Petrova

I don't care who you think should get into the YEC. My challenge to you is, tell me who WILL get the widlcard yo the YEC. For extra creidt. tell me WHY.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:38 AM
venus

simply shes won wimbledon-the others havent.

pierce0415
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:39 AM
If Venus wins Philidelphia and Patty loses next round and 1R in Philidelphia, can't Venus overtake Patty?

Knizzle
Venus cause she's better than Elena or Nadia.

-VSR-
If Venus does not qualify by herself with enough points, then she will get the WC if healthy. Why, because she won a Grand Slam this year, Wimbledon. Also, she is a very talented player. Now I know that Nadia and Elena are too, but its that Grand Slam win that puts Venus one step ahead of them. Also, if you look at the Real Rankings, Venus is also ahead there as well. So, in conclusion, Venus should get in without help, and if not she deserved that WC position.

timray
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Venus Williams, because it will make you happy.

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Everybody knows what you want, 'Cana. Your wet dream is for Venus to finish 9th in the race and get wild-carded into the YEC over the 8th player.

But the only way you're going to have any fun with this, is if Henin doesn't withdraw. If Henin (or any other player) withdraws then it's a moot point, and Venus goes to the YEC on merit.

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Venus cause she's better than Elena or Nadia.

Lena is better than Venus :p, but that's not the point of this thread.

Andrew..
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Lena's titles and slam results this year shine over Ven....oh, wait. She has none.

tennisIlove09
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:05 AM
JHH isnt going. She ended her season, I thought?

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Better at what?? Writing novels?? :lol:

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Everybody knows what you want, 'Cana.They should. It's in the thread title. BTW, you forgot to make a prediction.

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Better at what?? Writing novels?? :lol:

That too. :p

Rtael
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
:yawn:

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:28 AM
JHH isnt going. She ended her season, I thought?First of all, even if you're injured, you supposedly have to make the trip. Second, she's probably going to be physically able to play. The hamstring injury would have healed by now. Third, Venus could wind up behind Petrova pretty easily. Petrova makes the final this week, does well next week, Venus is lousy next week, voila! Petrova #9, Williams #10.

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:31 AM
They should. It's in the thread title. BTW, you forgot to make a prediction.

Fine. The top 9 finishers in the points race will play the YEC (with one withdrawal), and #10 will go as the alternate.

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:41 AM
That too. :p

I'm confused as to what the first thing was. :confused:

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:45 AM
I'm confused as to what the first thing was. :confused:

Tennis player. :p

Knizzle
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Tennis player. :p

Puff, puff, give vogus, emphasis on the GIVE.

Pheobo
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I hope it's Lena but it will probably be Venus because she won Wimbledon.

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Fine. The top 9 finishers in the points race will play the YEC (with one withdrawal), and #10 will go as the alternate.Nothing like being definitive when all others are vague.:)

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:05 AM
You've seriously got to be kidding me.

jfk
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Has a WC ever been used for the YEC? Or at least in the last few years?

If not, I tend to think this is one of those myths, like how many always speculate that Wimbledon will alter the seedings...something that is pretty much never done on the women's side.

Just like the Wimbledon thing....it make exist in the rulebook, but it's only used in rare circumstances.

lynch79
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Venus!!! She won Wimbledon, or better, she won SOMETHING this year. IMO, even if I'm Dementieva fan, only the players who have won at least 1 tournament should be in the YEC.

geoepee
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Venus, because she's won Wimbledon and she'll sell more tickets. That's the reason why they'll give Venus the wildcard.

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:31 AM

If not, I tend to think this is one of those mythsThe rule is on the books. As to the last time it was used, the last time I know of is 1995. The form of the rule has changed inthat their are only 8 players in the YEC now, as opposed to 16 in '95.

, like how many always speculate that Wimbledon will alter the seedings...something that is pretty much never done on the women's side. The last time Wimbledon altered the women's seeding was 2004, I suppose. Before that 1998, when they flip-flopped Graf and Davenport.

jfk
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:45 AM
The rule is on the books. As to the last time it was used, the last time I know of is 1995. The form of the rule has changed inthat their are only 8 players in the YEC now, as opposed to 16 in '95.

The last time Wimbledon altered the women's seeding was 2004, I suppose. Before that 1998, when they flip-flopped Graf and Davenport.
Are you referring to Serena? Didn't she have an injury rank at that time? That wasn't something that Wimbledon did specifically. Was someone else boosted in seed?

A lot of people here speculate that the WC will be used for the YEC and that Wimbledon will alter the seedings, but it almost never happens. And, if it does, there are extenuating circumstances....which haven't been present in either situation in years.

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:49 AM
You've seriously got to be kidding me.

Nobody with "Lucic" in their signature has any business accusing anyone of kidding on the subject of women's tennis. Lucic now works as a cashier at a Chevron gas station on the outskirts of Orlando.

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Are you referring to Serena? Didn't she have an injury rank at that time? That wasn't something that Wimbledon did specifically. Was someone else boosted in seed?

A lot of people here speculate that the WC will be used for the YEC and that Wimbledon will alter the seedings, but it almost never happens. And, if it does, there are extenuating circumstances....which haven't been present in either situation in years.If my recollection of the year is correct, there was a decided absence of 'extenuating circumstances' at Wimbledon in 1998. However, your point IS well taken. It's basically the reason why I posted the poll. I don't expect Venus to win Philadelphia, and that's about the only way I see her getting into the YEC without the #8 ranking in the Porsche race.

However, I was interested in other people's opinions. I'm a bit surprised Venus is leading the poll so handily. Although the fact that Dementieva hasn't won a tournament all year DOES operate against her.

tennnisfannn
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:37 AM

If not, I tend to think this is one of those myths, like how many always speculate that Wimbledon will alter the seedings...something that is pretty much never done on the women's side.

Just like the Wimbledon thing....it make exist in the rulebook, but it's only used in rare circumstances.
Not it has not but then no one who ever won a slam has finished lower than no.8. This year has been the exception with serena winning the AO and finishing that low. This hardly ever happens unless injury happens.

switz
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:42 AM
well Dementieva is out of the running for automatic because she's not in Philly, so it's really between Patty, Venus and Nadia.

Patty wins or makes the final of Linz you've got to think she's close securing 7th.

Nadia has the easy draw to the Linz final but who knows with her.

Venus hasn't played since capitulating against Clijsters so who knows with her either.

in the unlikely event that nobody withdraws then Venus has to be the favourite for 8th because she'll either finish there or get the wild card. The WTA is unlikely to care about Nadia's feelings in LA.

tennnisfannn
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Just wondering why JHH and patty have not qualified, does that mean there is a mathematical chance for venus, elena and nadia to overtake them?

parn2257
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM
elena is better than Venus, but Venus got a better chance

RedCap999
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Elena because

1) she can pick up 120 points next week and Venus is not playing
2) YEC will reward the 8th spot based on who has the 8th highest amount of points, not on the reasons listed by obsessed fans.

cometz9
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Elena because

1) she can pick up 120 points next week and Venus is not playing
2) YEC will reward the 8th spot based on who has the 8th highest amount of points, not on the reasons listed by obsessed fans.

Venus's not playing in Philly but Lena is? :confused:

Daniel
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Elena and Petrova :D

RedCap999
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Venus's not playing in Philly but Lena is? :confused:

Elena is trying to get a wildcard there as we speak

cometz9
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Elena is trying to get a wildcard there as we speak

that would be cool if Lena plays there b/c then she, Venus and Nadia will also fight for the last spot since Patty will get that #7 spot

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:06 AM
elena is better than Venus, but Venus got a better chanceThat business about Venus winning Wimbledon, and Dementieva not winning a tournament all year.....

Just for the record, what, besides your feelings, indicates Dementieva is better?