PDA

View Full Version : Who enjoys watching helpless players being overpowered :)

borisy
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Maybe it's sadistic but isn't it very enjoyable to watch a retriever type of player like Sugiyama being overpowered and running from side to side out of breath and helplessly to catch rocket balls by a player like Lindsay or Mary (e.g. 2002 San Diego Lindsay-Sugiyama match). :devil:

Dinkie
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Only when the helpless player is Serena. ;)

pierce0415
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Well if it is Mary on the other side of the net then I enjoy it :devil:

But if it is Lindsay or Serena on the other side of the net then :o

pierce0415
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I also have a feeling I would enjoy it if Kim was the helpless one. That is why I want to see her match vs. Peng :tape:

Maryamator
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
no way.. it will be tooooo one sided

borisy
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Only when the helpless player is Serena. ;)

Serena can overpower herself. I'm talking about small players who can't hit hard :)

pierce0415
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Serena can overpower herself. I'm talking about small players who can't hit hard :)

Serena was overpowered when she lost to Mary at Indian Wells in 2000 :tape:

Shonami Slam
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM
counter-punching is not bieng overpowered.

you should watch how the thny coetzer disturbed all the greats with no power to her game.

Bubba08
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Maybe it's sadistic but isn't it very enjoyable to watch a retriever type of player like Sugiyama being overpowered and running from side to side out of breath and helplessly to catch rocket balls by a player like Lindsay or Mary (e.g. 2002 San Diego Lindsay-Sugiyama match). :devil:
Not really, it 's always a bit sad to watch :sad:
Each time I see those kind of match I am really happy when the overpowered player wins a game and avoid the 6-0 6-0 :bounce:

Pheobo
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:22 PM
It depends on who's giving the beating :)

V.Melb
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Yes, But Sugiyama is not really a retreiver.... she strikes back. Also, she has beaten Mary Pierce a few times.... and has beaten Lindsay Davenport before also if memory serves me correctly.

Rexman
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM
As long as the retriever has some bite of their own, ala Clijsters or Myskina. They can get run pretty ragged but sometimes end up being the one ended the point with a great passing shot.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
To answer the question, definitely NO!!! I dont enjoy seeing someone helpless.

On the other hand, seeing my Fave performing her best tennis giving a bagel to another player, its makes me happy. But not necessarily happy for the helpless player.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:38 PM
As Mary was by Serena when she lost to her at FO in 02.

selyoink
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM
At times I do enjoy it actually. I'm a big fan of Elena Likhovtseva and really wanted her to beat Mary in the FO semis but the beating Mary gave her was somewhat hypnotic. I was very upset Elena was losing so badly but at the time I had to keep watching and marvel at Mary's prowess in that match.

Dawn Marie
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:42 PM
It depends on who is playing.

I enjoyed seeing Lindsay overpower a helpless Maria and scoring a 0 and 0 on her. Yet I felt for Wynn Pratuskaya when Venus destroyed her one year. It was like the Wicked Witch beating up on a Munchkin.

I enjoyed seeing Hingis lose to the power babes but didnt like seeing players like Wynn losing so badly.

K-Dog
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I only enjoy is when its Federer, Venus, or Serena being overpowering in the earlier rounds of a slam I prefer that later in the tournament there are competitive matches. There are certain players I like to see helpless: Justine, Kim, Maria, Jennifer C., Roddick, Hewitt, and Nadal. Most of the time those players aren't overpowered, but when they are, it's great for myself to watch.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM
No matter how easily Federer is winning, I love to watch him play. He's just absolutely amazing.

Other times it makes me cringe. Clijsters vs. Vento-Kabchi at this years US Open was an example of that. They both had the same style of play except Clijsters did it about seven levels higher. Vento-Kabchi barely won points that match.

iPatty
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I also have a feeling I would enjoy it if Kim was the helpless one. That is why I want to see her match vs. Peng :tape:

Peng :worship: Does anyone have that match? I'd like to watch it again (relive the glory :angel: ) Maybe nouf?

SJW
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM

you're an obnoxious asshole. that is all. :)

Pengwin
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Peng :worship: Does anyone have that match? I'd like to watch it again (relive the glory :angel: ) Maybe nouf?

You know I never saw that match because I was in Slovenia :crying2:

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I guess Mary got lucky that day. :tape:

1997 CHICAGO CARPET (I) R16 S. WILLIAMS 6-3 7-6(3)

1999 INDIAN WELLS HARD (O) Q S. WILLIAMS 7-5 7-6(1)

2000 INDIAN WELLS HARD (O) Q M. PIERCE 6-2 6-1

2002 FRENCH OPEN CLAY (O) Q S. WILLIAMS 6-1 6-1 :o

2004 AMELIA ISLAND CLAY (O) R32 S. WILLIAMS 6-3 6-1

2005 AMELIA ISLAND CLAY (O) R16 S. WILLIAMS 7-6(5) 6-4

borisy
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM
This is not a thread about Mary vs Serena.

It's about Sugiyamas, Coetzers, Schnyders running from side to side :)

But it would be nice to see Clijsters doing her famous sliding helplessly and being blown off the court :)

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:32 PM
This is not a thread about Mary vs Serena.

It's about Sugiyamas, Coetzers, Schnyders running from side to side :)

But it would be nice to see Clijsters doing her famous sliding helplessly and being blown off the court :)
Well, why didn't you entitle it that? :retard: Because your title says, " Who enjoys watching helpless players being overpowered :) " Which would include Mary vs. Serena, n'cest pas?

skanky~skanketta
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
personally, i hate seeing players getting overpowered, unless it is a big-time power player getting overpowered.

borisy
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Well, why didn't you entitle it that? :retard: Because your title says, " Who enjoys watching helpless players being overpowered :) " Which would include Mary vs. Serena, n'cest pas?

Because I can't write 3 sentences for the title and also with the big girls you don't see that much overpowering. One sided scores *usually* mean one of them did too many mistakes.

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Because I can't write 3 sentences for the title and also with the big girls you don't see that much overpowering. One sided scores *usually* mean one of them did too many mistakes.
Well, didn't Maria overpower Serena at Wimby 04? Didn't Maria overpower a helpless/injured Serena at the YEC '04? I'm just going by what your title says. :)

borisy
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Well, didn't Maria overpower Serena at Wimby 04? Didn't Maria overpower a helpless/injured Serena at the YEC '04? I'm just going by what your title says. :)

Also you can't see Mary, Lindsay etc running from side to side. They know that they can't run that much. But some players think they can reach any ball, that's when the fun starts :)

TF Chipmunk
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I must admit I enjoy watching another player getting utterly overpowered :o :devil:

I don't care who it is, but the person who's overpowering is who I pull for, whether it's Serena, Maria, or Justine :hearts: I just love watching brute force :drool:

miffedmax
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
With Lena D. you never know if she will be the overpowerer or the overpoweree.

dinhd82
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM

I remember that match, Peng hits so hard off both sides ala monica seles. kim had no answers, one of her rare losses where she just got blown off the court.

Corswandt
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I enjoyed seeing Hingis lose to the power babes

I didn't.

But each one his own, everyone's entitled and yadda yadda yadda.

Corswandt
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Filderstadt 2005 vs Lena Dementieva.

Kim ended a point with her ass on the floor.

njnetswill
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Sugiyama hits the ball hard as well...and has won many matches "retrieving" as you say.

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I enjoyed seeing Hingis overpowered back in the day, and now I enjoy seeing Justine, Maria and Hewitt overpowered. :D

Pengwin
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I enjoyed seeing Hingis overpowered back in the day, and now I enjoy seeing Justine, Maria and Hewitt overpowered. :D

Maria? :cuckoo:

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Maria? :cuckoo:
Yep, I loved that helpless look she gets on her face when she's being beaten. :)

Hey, I don't know what the threadstarter means, but when I think of overpowered or helpless in a tennis match, it doesn't always have to do with brute strength. It's just getting the shit kicked out of other player, whether with hard shots or shot making skills.

iPatty
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
You know I never saw that match because I was in Slovenia :crying2:

:eek: Someone must have this match so Pengwin can see it! You don't know what you missed!

vogus
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:18 AM

count me in, i love seeing Sugiyama get schmucked by the top players. What is she, about 2-125 against Top 5 players in her career? :lol:

Davenselesport
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Seles def. Montolio at the French Open... amazing

skanky~skanketta
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:22 AM
count me in, i love seeing Sugiyama get schmucked by the top players. What is she, about 2-125 against Top 5 players in her career? :lol::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rub
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:24 AM
surprising how many wants to see clijsters being overpowered!

seems like they haven't been enjoying Kim's beating of a number of players...

i just watched a replay of Kim against Penetta, 6-0, 6-1 Quarterfinal at Rogers Cup 2005, kim made her look like a beginner... the only game penetta won was when kim committed 3 straight DF's... poor flavia really... but i enjoyed watching kim do that! :devil:

Chunchun
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM
:devil: bitches!

It depends on if the helpless player is my fav or not :awww:

Pengwin
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM
:devil: bitches!

It depends on if the helpless player is my fav or not :awww:

US Open 2004 Final :p

darrinbaker00
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Yep, I loved that helpless look she gets on her face when she's being beaten. :)
Actually, Masha's look is more like, "What do I do now, Daddy?" ;)

dinhd82
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I hated seeing hingis being overpowered, but it was great seeing her beat or even find ways to beat those players and it was ultimate glory when she did.

Calimero377
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I enjoy top players being overpowered in slam finals (eg. Zvereva - FO 88, Navratilova - Wimbledon 88, Seles - Wimbledon 92, ASV - AO 94).

Best is when they start crying (Hingis - FO 99). :)

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Maybe it's sadistic.... ... but it is the ATP!

Dan23
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Well, didn't Maria overpower Serena at Wimby 04?
There was also some helpless looks that day too....;)

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:18 AM
There was also some helpless looks that day too....;)True poetry, however, was seeing that same look on Sharpova's face at Wimbledon in 2005.

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:21 AM
True poetry, however, was seeing that same look on Sharpova's face at Wimbledon in 2005.Oh alright, I admit it was more fun watching Venus win than Sharapova lose. In fact, the match I really liked (besides the final, natch) was watching Venus pay back Mary Pierce for de-railing Venus' attempt at an Olympic repeat.

K-Dog
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:24 AM
There was also some helpless looks that day too....;)

True, but I prefer the looks Maria gave us during her semifinals at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Those were priceless. "Daddy, what do I do? I can't hit the ball any harder!!!"

DemWilliamsGulls
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Oh i love it...the Williams sisters did this on a regular back in 2001-2003.....in 2002 the WTA just took it ungreased with no lube from the Williams Sisters...I mean it was a just a straight streamrolling tour....I'm not going to lie...I luved it...my friends and family would just sit back and laugh at how hard Vee and Serena was overpowering those girls kicking their asses lol....I miss those days man...those girls were vicious on the tour then....

Mr_Molik
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:50 AM
i love seeing hewitt and roddick absolutely helpless against federer :D

Rexman
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:02 AM
i love seeing hewitt and roddick absolutely helpless against federer :D

So he was absolutely helpless when he took a set off of him in their last meeting (Hewitt not Roddick)

K-Dog
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:08 AM
So he was absolutely helpless when he took a set off of him in their last meeting (Hewitt not Roddick)

Yeah, the first set for Hewitt in HOW LONG? Who won the match? Who won the US Open? Not to mention, Fed played like shit in that match and Hewitt still lost. Okay then, Federer absolutely owns Hewitt because Hewitt plays like a female player. He plays with no spin and can't handle lack of pace, which is what Fed gives him (lack of pace that is) and more. Most female players hate balls with spin on them, just ask about an tennis instructor!!

Aerien
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I just saw Clijsters vs. Penetta in this year's Roger's AT&T Cup yesterday. Poor Flavia kept getting her serve broken at love but at least avoided the 6-0 6-0.

I'd rather see someone get outplayed rather than overpowered.

pcrtennis
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:04 AM
count me in, i love seeing Sugiyama get schmucked by the top players. What is she, about 2-125 against Top 5 players in her career? :lol:

ARE YOU KIDDING?????????? :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ai has beat Davenport, Henin-HArdenne(While she was number 1), Capriati(3 times), Clijsters(3 times), Graf, Novotna, Sanzchez-Vicario, Myskina, Dmentieva and on and on....you clearly don't know anything about her results....... :rolleyes: :tape:

Stamp Paid
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I love watching it happen. Mary's win over Francesca in Moscow was pure beauty. I like when Maria does it, when Serena does it, etc etc.

UDACHi
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:11 AM
US Open 2004 Final :p

:shout: :banghead: :smash: :help: :fiery: :tape:

Stamp Paid
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM
True poetry, however, was seeing that same look on Sharpova's face at Wimbledon in 2005.

Yeah, I admit that was good.

Stamp Paid
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:15 AM
And I love how Kim demolishes scrubs in the early rounds of Slams and tournaments.

drake3781
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I remember that match, Peng hits so hard off both sides ala monica seles. kim had no answers, one of her rare losses where she just got blown off the court.

I wish I could have seen it !!!! :hearts: :crazy:

Penglover
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:01 AM
I want to watch it too. Peng def Kim 6-4 6-4.

SS6888
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I have to admit, I enjoyed Lindsay's thrashing of Maria 60 60 :worship:

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:12 AM
True poetry, however, was seeing that same look on Sharpova's face at Wimbledon in 2005.
That was the best, but second best was Aussie Semi '05. :)

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Actually, Masha's look is more like, "What do I do now, Daddy?" ;)
True. :lol:

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:13 AM
True, but I prefer the looks Maria gave us during her semifinals at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Those were priceless. "Daddy, what do I do? I can't hit the ball any harder!!!"
:haha:

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:15 AM
I have to admit, I enjoyed Lindsay's thrashing of Maria 60 60 :worship:
:yeah: Now that one was really good. :)

Kunal
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Hahaha....what a great thread!!!
Where do people come up with such topics....BRILLIANT STUFF.

No particular example comes to mind.....but i wanted Venus to kick that chicks ass....u know that chick who defeated Serena and then was slated to play venus in the next round......damn that was a reality check for that player (i think it was craybas??)

but yea i thoroughly enjoyed that whoopping.

RedCap999
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:10 AM
I love seeing Graf helpless on the tennis court

and I'd like to see Andy helpless...............in bed.......woaaaaaahhhh

Andy.
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Its the best to watch it is like swatting a fly

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:42 AM
i love it. Seles in the master at it.

Calimero377
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Oh i love it...the Williams sisters did this on a regular back in 2001-2003.....in 2002 the WTA just took it ungreased with no lube from the Williams Sisters...I mean it was a just a straight streamrolling tour....I'm not going to lie...I luved it...my friends and family would just sit back and laugh at how hard Vee and Serena was overpowering those girls kicking their asses lol....I miss those days man...those girls were vicious on the tour then....

Well, we must not forget that the Willies even in 2002 had some bad losses.
Serena to Shaughnessy, Schnyder, Rubin types, Venus to Testud and Maleeva types.
And Hingis and Seles near the end of her career, Davenport slumping, the Belgians still maturing - the field perhaps never ever was more depleted in the open era than in 2002.

tennisrox
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Davenport def. Sharapova 6-0 6-0.Just Brutal, but satisfying :devil:

Prizeidiot
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:01 AM
If its a no name player being belted, I take pity on them. But if it is a Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Maria, Mary, or another girl who usually gives out the beltings, being outhit, I take some pleasure in that.

Actually, I find it much more entertaining when a player with guile drives the big, power player insane. Although that is very rare on the womens tour. In fact, I'll start a thread about that

veronica
Oct 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Okay so I never liked Martina Hingis much and I would savor when she got thrashed. She had the best expressions that air of entitlement - like how dare the opponent make me run!

I was loving that Wimby 2001 loss to Ruano Pascual. It was not so much a thrashing but she did look like a deer stuck in the headlights. The last set bagel in Miami 2002 from Serena was priceless too.

Penglover
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
you should be the one to play with WTA players. I would enjoy to see how helpless you could be :rolleyes:

K-Dog
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Well, we must not forget that the Willies even in 2002 had some bad losses.
Serena to Shaughnessy, Schnyder, Rubin types, Venus to Testud and Maleeva types.
And Hingis and Seles near the end of her career, Davenport slumping, the Belgians still maturing - the field perhaps never ever was more depleted in the open era than in 2002.

Cal, i'll accept the other loses, but SERENA RETIRED AGAINST SHAUGHNESSY!! You constantly bring this loss up, but Serena retired dowm 4-5 in this match. You may bring up the other losses, but Serena really didn't lose this match; she sprained her ankle and had to retire.

Anyway we know that Graf was amazing, but if you want to bring up weak fields well then we can talk about some of the years that Graf played.

"Sluggy"
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Me! I love to watch superpowers tool lightweights around.

DragonFlame
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
well, dechy got totally overpowered today and i loved it :lol: :D go misa! :worship:

pierce0415
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
If its a no name player being belted, I take pity on them. But if it is a Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Maria, Mary, or another girl who usually gives out the beltings, being outhit, I take some pleasure in that.

Actually, I find it much more entertaining when a player with guile drives the big, power player insane. Although that is very rare on the womens tour. In fact, I'll start a thread about that

Someone made this point before but Lindsay and Mary ain't going to be moving from side to side of the court retrieving balls :tape: :tape: :tape:

Yes, Venus, Serena and Maria (to a lesser extent) will try to retrieve shots from all over the court if they are playing someone very powerful. I love seeing one of them (or Kim or Justine) being strung like a yo yo, running from side to side, corner to corner, trying to chase down shots :lol:

Billy Moonshine
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM
when hingis bt venus 6-1 6-1 SF Oz Open, 2001, that was a thrashing and very satisfying as Venus ( IIRC Wimby and US champ) looked like shed been slapped in the face!!! She didnt see that one coming!

Task
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Certainly not me. I like it when the physically weaker player outplays and outsmarts the physically stronger one.

I'm sure there are plenty of times the power player is slumped in their chair after being defeated by someone physically weaker than they are in total shock thinking "But how could she beat me??!! I've got way more power than she does!! Power is all that matters in tennis, right??!! RIGHT??!!"

Lindsayfan32
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:33 PM
When Lindsay's doing love it. When Lindsay does it to Maria even better when it 0 0 against Maria great. Can we have a Lindsay v Maria final in Philly just to see it again.

bellascarlett
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM
When Lindsay's doing love it. When Lindsay does it to Maria even better when it 0 0 against Maria great. Can we have a Lindsay v Maria final in Philly just to see it again.

Ohmygosh you are so mean! :lol: I hope that never happens again! :)...but hopefully things get even between them and Maria can someday double bagel Lindsay. haha maybe wishful thinking but you never know. But that's just depressing - a top player getting double bageled by another top player...but as heartbreaking as that would be to me, I would love to see that match though; didn't get to see it.